HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

George McPhee II

View Poll Results: Do the Caps need a new GM? Fire George, or keep George?
Fire George 80 81.63%
Keep George 18 18.37%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-13-2013, 10:38 PM
  #226
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
Which he did. #SEBanner
Good thing is, no more SE banners to win.

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 10:49 PM
  #227
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,675
vCash: 888
So its obvious. Look at the +/- for Game 7. Fehr and Ribeiro -4. Brouwer, Alzner, and Green -3.

2 years in a row, Ovechkin sees little if any even strength time with Green. GMGM telling coaches what to do.

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 11:10 PM
  #228
pman25
Registered User
 
pman25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
i mean really though...Ernie ****ing Grunfeld is still here. There is no way Leonsis has the balls to fire McPhee.

And honestly, who would you guys replace him with? Someone internally?

pman25 is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 11:12 PM
  #229
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Fire McPhee. It's so easy a non-in-the-game guy can do it.

HSHS is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 11:15 PM
  #230
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman25 View Post
i mean really though...Ernie ****ing Grunfeld is still here. There is no way Leonsis has the balls to fire McPhee.

And honestly, who would you guys replace him with? Someone internally?
Brian Burke's name has been brought up, but he never won attendance championships and even worse he hurts people's feelings. Who would support someone with that kind of a resume?


Last edited by ChibiPooky: 05-14-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: generalization
Brad Tolliver is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 11:18 PM
  #231
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,124
vCash: 500
In fairness, Erat's injury prevented us from seeing McPhee's vision. Yeah he wasn't scoring, but I'm not so sure he doesn't make a difference in the series. I'm also not so sure he isn't more valuable next season with time to mesh with this team. The jury is still out on the trade, including Michael Latta,

Capsman is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 11:19 PM
  #232
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Brian Burke's name has been brought up, but he never won attendance championships and even worse he hurts people's feelings. Who would support someone with that kind of a resume?
Burke is the Boudreau of GMs.


Last edited by ChibiPooky: 05-14-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Quoted edited post
Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 11:28 PM
  #233
SkinsFan09
Registered User
 
SkinsFan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
In fairness, Erat's injury prevented us from seeing McPhee's vision. Yeah he wasn't scoring, but I'm not so sure he doesn't make a difference in the series. I'm also not so sure he isn't more valuable next season with time to mesh with this team. The jury is still out on the trade, including Michael Latta,
Clowe and Staal were out. You deal with injuries

SkinsFan09 is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 12:15 AM
  #234
Dream Big
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
So its obvious. Look at the +/- for Game 7. Fehr and Ribeiro -4. Brouwer, Alzner, and Green -3.

2 years in a row, Ovechkin sees little if any even strength time with Green. GMGM telling coaches what to do.
Get your stats right. Alzner -1 not -3

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/ES030137.HTM

Dream Big is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 12:21 AM
  #235
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Registered User
 
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,020
vCash: 500
3 series wins in 14 years after the '98 playoff run. (which was a team that McPhee did not put together)

Pretty terrible track record.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 12:26 AM
  #236
DanTHEMan71
Registered User
 
DanTHEMan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
In fairness, Erat's injury prevented us from seeing McPhee's vision. Yeah he wasn't scoring, but I'm not so sure he doesn't make a difference in the series. I'm also not so sure he isn't more valuable next season with time to mesh with this team. The jury is still out on the trade, including Michael Latta,
Erat was useless. He wasn't going to improve with us.

This team lacks secondary scoring. Erat being another soft playmaker didn't and doesn't help our top 6. The 2nd line actually generated more chances with Fehr up there.

The problem is we only have Ovechkin to score. You shut down Ovechkin and the 1st line is toast because Nicky and MoJo can't sustain any offensive cycle by themselves and can't score without setting up OV.

As OV is being shut down, our bottom 9 consists of Grinderland with Ribs and MP85. I can't say for sure if we still had Semin we would have won this series, but we needed another pure scorer for sure. Ribs basically made Brouwer a 20-goal scorer this year. I can imagine how much more potent our offence would have been with Ribs dishing to Semin.

We didn't get enough quality chances this series because OV was shutdown and we relied on the grinders to get it done. Simple as that.

A lot of the times it was the Rangers' grinders who turned the tables but you have to understand that their defence and goaltending is just better in the playoffs compared to ours. Their back-end is better built for the playoffs than ours. Lundqvist > Holtby, no debate. Their defence is better at blocking shots, physicality, PK, etc. So if we wanted to rely on our offence we needed it to be a lot better and that means not relying on the grinders when OV isn't scoring.

Our 5 on 5 didn't do much because, once again, we relied on the grinders. Shut down OV and we have nothing. We also relied on PP, because OV relied on it, and that also killed us. Sure the Rags play a cheap game and we should have gotted a few more PPs here and there (specifically game 6), however, we relied on the PP against the least penalized team in the league. That's asking for trouble.



TL,DR: No secondary scoring, they're built for the playoffs. OV can't do everything.

DanTHEMan71 is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 12:37 AM
  #237
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,675
vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Get your stats right. Alzner -1 not -3

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/ES030137.HTM
Whatever, was more about focusing on Green not playing with Ovechkin at even strength.

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 01:43 AM
  #238
TRASHCAT
Registered User
 
TRASHCAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,406
vCash: 500
Ted wont fire Grunfeld, he wont fire McPhee. Hell Mcphee's teams win in the regular season.

TRASHCAT is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 08:56 AM
  #239
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
So its obvious. Look at the +/- for Game 7. Fehr and Ribeiro -4. Brouwer, Alzner, and Green -3.

2 years in a row, Ovechkin sees little if any even strength time with Green. GMGM telling coaches what to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Get your stats right. Alzner -1 not -3

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/ES030137.HTM
And also, OV played during this series more with Green than any other D.

And Green played more with OV than any other forward.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 09:00 AM
  #240
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post
Ted wont fire Grunfeld, he wont fire McPhee. Hell Mcphee's teams win in the regular season.
We all know McPhee isn't going anywhere. Have to just accept it.

He has shown signs of improvement and did take some chances, that in retrospect, didn't work out.

Some of you will turn into a version of me 5 or 10 years ago. Steaming mad with vitriol and spewing McPhee hatred. Understandable. But you will learn, as I did, that it makes no difference and it will just get you bitter.

We just have to hope he makes some shrewd moves, signs our young guys, and that the players we have take a step and develop.

This playoffs are tough. The refs in games 3-6 cost us. There is no other way to look at it. It was apparent what was going on. Ovie is right.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 09:11 AM
  #241
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,683
vCash: 500
I'm sorry, "signs of improvement"??!?!?! The only signs that matter are in the final results of the season. He's shown ZERO improvement.



Please Tinner, don't hide your head in the sand and allow the players to blame the refs. Their whole miserable careers they've dodged accountability. Until the fans expect more, ownership will do nothing to deliver more.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 09:15 AM
  #242
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
We all know McPhee isn't going anywhere. Have to just accept it.

He has shown signs of improvement and did take some chances, that in retrospect, didn't work out.

Some of you will turn into a version of me 5 or 10 years ago. Steaming mad with vitriol and spewing McPhee hatred. Understandable. But you will learn, as I did, that it makes no difference and it will just get you bitter.

We just have to hope he makes some shrewd moves, signs our young guys, and that the players we have take a step and develop.

This playoffs are tough. The refs in games 3-6 cost us. There is no other way to look at it. It was apparent what was going on. Ovie is right.
Excuses, excuses, excuses

Welp, as much as it pains me as a Caps fan...I was right. Erskine is not a top 4 D-man, and that series made it glaringly obvious. He's fine as a bottom pair, but he was exposed in the top 4.

Caps need to fix the defense before they can do anything. Assuming Green can stay healthy, they need a heady, veteran presence in the top 4, one that has speed and can hit. I dont know who that is, but is a huge hole. One that can help Carlson to realize his potential (or we trade Carlson out).

Green-Alzner is our top pair, and I am good with that. Its the next 5 that need to be reworked.

Hillen is useful *only* in that he has a good shot. But he is killed everywhere else in the playoffs, as the grind gets to him. Olesky is "ok", and is at the age for defensemen where lightbulbs can do on (27). So he may be a decent 5-7 as well. Problem is we have Erskine, who should be paired with one of them...

Schultz needs to go. What do we do with Orlov? Kundratek?

Ribeiro is gone. So we need Laich back in the top 6 with Erat and Fehr? Maybe put Brouwer on top line with Ovechkin and Backstrom? What do we do with Johnasson?

Ward's contract? Perrault was one of our best forwards in 2 straight playoffs. I like him, but he's too small for top 6 roles, and cant play much defense.

Holtby fell apart in game 7, but thats not indicative of his moxie, IMO. He's done enough to prove he's good enough to help the team advance. However Neuvirth is too expensive as a 20 game back up with so many other holes. We could use the 1.75m (back ups should be sub1m) in other areas.

As far as youth goes...Forsberg is gone. One less top end prospect for us. Does Wilson stick? My guess is yes, he's got a bottom 6 role here, so Chimera, Hendricks or Ward need to go.

Beagle was "ok", but he doesnt contribute a lick of offense, and its very hard to carry that in a 7 game series. Out 4th line did zilch to penetrate the stat sheet.

So many issues.

I hate to say I told you so, but I expected this all season long. I'm very sad this AM, to see the wasted landscape that was the 2013 season, after the apocalyptic game 7.

So....

That said,

Fire George!

Ridley Simon is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 09:16 AM
  #243
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,067
vCash: 500
It's time.

strungout is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 09:23 AM
  #244
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Time for a new team architect, the current one hasn't gotten it done and he's had plenty of time.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 09:25 AM
  #245
tmljeh19
Registered User
 
tmljeh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
In fairness, Erat's injury prevented us from seeing McPhee's vision. Yeah he wasn't scoring, but I'm not so sure he doesn't make a difference in the series. I'm also not so sure he isn't more valuable next season with time to mesh with this team. The jury is still out on the trade, including Michael Latta,
GMGM is that you? The rinse and repeat method.

tmljeh19 is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 09:32 AM
  #246
tmljeh19
Registered User
 
tmljeh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
The team will never go anywhere without a leader. Someone that can get the team to pull their heads out of their collective ***** when one thing goes wrong. Until then expect the same results.

tmljeh19 is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 09:38 AM
  #247
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Excuses, excuses, excuses

Welp, as much as it pains me as a Caps fan...I was right. Erskine is not a top 4 D-man, and that series made it glaringly obvious. He's fine as a bottom pair, but he was exposed in the top 4.

Caps need to fix the defense before they can do anything. Assuming Green can stay healthy, they need a heady, veteran presence in the top 4, one that has speed and can hit. I dont know who that is, but is a huge hole. One that can help Carlson to realize his potential (or we trade Carlson out).

Green-Alzner is our top pair, and I am good with that. Its the next 5 that need to be reworked.

Hillen is useful *only* in that he has a good shot. But he is killed everywhere else in the playoffs, as the grind gets to him. Olesky is "ok", and is at the age for defensemen where lightbulbs can do on (27). So he may be a decent 5-7 as well. Problem is we have Erskine, who should be paired with one of them...

Schultz needs to go. What do we do with Orlov? Kundratek?

Ribeiro is gone. So we need Laich back in the top 6 with Erat and Fehr? Maybe put Brouwer on top line with Ovechkin and Backstrom? What do we do with Johnasson?

Ward's contract? Perrault was one of our best forwards in 2 straight playoffs. I like him, but he's too small for top 6 roles, and cant play much defense.

Holtby fell apart in game 7, but thats not indicative of his moxie, IMO. He's done enough to prove he's good enough to help the team advance. However Neuvirth is too expensive as a 20 game back up with so many other holes. We could use the 1.75m (back ups should be sub1m) in other areas.

As far as youth goes...Forsberg is gone. One less top end prospect for us. Does Wilson stick? My guess is yes, he's got a bottom 6 role here, so Chimera, Hendricks or Ward need to go.

Beagle was "ok", but he doesnt contribute a lick of offense, and its very hard to carry that in a 7 game series. Out 4th line did zilch to penetrate the stat sheet.

So many issues.

I hate to say I told you so, but I expected this all season long. I'm very sad this AM, to see the wasted landscape that was the 2013 season, after the apocalyptic game 7.

So....

That said,

Fire George!
Actually,

If you look at posts from last winter, you'll see it was Halpysback and I who told the board AO would turn it around as to scoring, and that the team would make the playoffs, but wouldn't get past the 1st round, save by some type of miracle.

And now, I'll say this:

McPhee inherited a team with enough of the right type of players to make a Cup run. But slowly, he changed out the pieces.

Remember Ron Wilson? remember how each year, the team would wait until later and later to turn on their game, and make the playoffs?

That wasn't because the team wasn't listening to Wilson... it was because with each piece McPhee changed out, we were getting more and more of the wrong type of player.

Finally, we didn't have enough toughness to make the playoffs, and we all blamed Ron. And as we see now, it wasn't Ron, it was George.

I caught something in the eye of Mike Green and several others last night... and I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. This morning, I remembered.

Muhammed Ali used to fight this one fighter... and he fought the guy several times. The guy was named Jerry Quarry.

Quarry would come in gung-ho, but after trading punches for a few rounds, he's get that same look Green and the boys had last night: he didn't want to keep fighting.

We've changed out coach after coach, but I doubt that even Scotty Bowman could coach a bunch of players who aren't tough enough to go the distance much further than Wilson did.

The DNA is all wrong... and before players are changed out, we need a set of fresh, knowledgeable eyes to evaluate the entire franchise. And the changes have got to start at the top.

BTCG is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 09:47 AM
  #248
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
How many game 7 no shows will Leonsis ignore?
My guess is as many as the fans will and I don't expect the fans to stop showing up because of another game 7 bed soiling...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 09:53 AM
  #249
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
If Ted has some kind of ceremony about raising the SE championship banner opening night next year, fans should revolt.
You going to lead the way...?

Millhaus is offline  
Old
05-14-2013, 12:24 PM
  #250
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
The Capitals got exactly what they deserved: another humiliating loss. 5-0 at home in a Game 7 in the first round of the playoffs. Pathetic. Yet another spectacular failure to further define the failed Washington Capitals franchise.

Ted is the core problem. You Caps fans who have supported Ted and George again all year ought to be ashamed of yourselves. You have earned it.

Atlas is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.