HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

George McPhee II

View Poll Results: Do the Caps need a new GM? Fire George, or keep George?
Fire George 80 81.63%
Keep George 18 18.37%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 09:02 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
George has no cap room to do anything so his words fall on deaf ears to me, and usually do even when he has wiggle room.

Roster trades largely seem just a thing of the past but that could free up a new top 4 for us. He does have too many RW's though. So maybe a move is in the works, but the market will be thin, so he will have to over pay in any dealings.

To me, its likely Orlov or Sarge moved into the top 4 next fall before an outsider is brought in. He loves this group, a bunch of good guys in the room.

I do say Hendricks is gone with Patti on board, and Ribeiro is a goner too. George will say he wanted him but it was too expensive. MP appears ready for a bigger challenge, and MJ is just not a top line cup worthy team NHL winger. He needs to be tried in the role we drafted him for. If we can live with Ribs crap faceoffs we can deal with his too. Laich is the emergency plan.

Rat Nick OV | Laich MJ Brouwer | Chimera MP Ward | Volpat Beagle Fehr

Old
05-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
George has no cap room to do anything so his words fall on deaf ears to me, and usually do even when he has wiggle room.

Roster trades largely seem just a thing of the past but that could free up a new top 4 for us. He does have too many RW's though. So maybe a move is in the works, but the market will be thin, so he will have to over pay in any dealings.

To me, its likely Orlov or Sarge moved into the top 4 next fall before an outsider is brought in. He loves this group, a bunch of good guys in the room.

I do say Hendricks is gone with Patti on board, and Ribeiro is a goner too. George will say he wanted him but it was too expensive. MP appears ready for a bigger challenge, and MJ is just not a top line cup worthy team NHL winger. He needs to be tried in the role we drafted him for. If we can live with Ribs crap faceoffs we can deal with his too. Laich is the emergency plan.

Fehr on the 4th line seems like a waste to me. I don't think he'd bump either Brouwer or Ward though. Not that I think a Brouwer trade would be likely, but I'd see what I could get for him and move Fehr up to 2. Saves $2M vs. Brouwer and would allow them to put someone like Wilson on 4.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:20 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I'll take that bet! What odds are you giving me for him starting game 1??? I'm all over that! haha

I guess we'll see. I tend to think his time has come to an end.

I don't see any way he leapfrogs Erskine or Hillen. Personally I think he is behind Orlov.

They didn't want Orlov rotting as a 7D and thats why he wasn't called up sooner. IMO at least
You gotta give me 4 to 1 odds <beers> to start. He hasn't played in months! And is widely viewed around here as George's write off, including by you.

On the roster... you are saying he is gone completely. So I get 2 to 1 for being on the roster.

Oh, and don't forget about the +50 point spread

#FastTimes

Old
05-22-2013, 09:45 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Fehr on the 4th line seems like a waste to me. I don't think he'd bump either Brouwer or Ward though. Not that I think a Brouwer trade would be likely, but I'd see what I could get for him and move Fehr up to 2. Saves $2M vs. Brouwer and would allow them to put someone like Wilson on 4.
Agreed, and to me its the elephant in the room heading into the offseason. Hell, I hated Ward on 4 for game 1. It's a waste and changes the role of that line.

George is overloaded at RW such to the point we have top 6 scorer types firmly entrenched on our bottom line. Do we want goal scorers on 4, or hitters? We need to cut costs somewhere.

While Fehr was hitting like a 4th liner to start the playoffs, I do not expect to see that until next April. He is not a 4th line RW, he just isn't.

Latta is a RH shot that we have heard is ready but Beagle is in his way. He can play RW.

If Latta earns a 4C somehow, Beagle played RW late this season and did fine.

Wilson needs at least ~12+ TOI to be here from a development perspective, but does anyone besides me think Plymouth and 20+ TOI have little to benefit him at this point?

It's like they gave Wilson those playoff games in case the RW squeeze continues next year, so he can learn what he needs to work on. Only injuries or a trade will get him in full time.

Oates adheres strong to sticks on boards, so expect no help at LW. But I would move Brouwer or Ward there without concern since they are not lugging the mail in.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:08 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
It's like they gave Wilson those playoff games in case the RW squeeze continues next year, so he can learn what he needs to work on. Only injuries or a trade will get him in full time.
I think they gave Wilson those playoff games because they realized that, outside of Joel Ward, our team does not have any forward who are hard to play against who can also score goals -- and they hoped Wilson could be that guy (and he almost was, but couldn't bury that chance in Game 7 right after Green was stoned). Now the fact that it took them until Game 5 of the 1st round of the playoffs to realize that that might be a useful commodity in the playoffs tells you most of what you need to know about how this team is architected.

We have plenty of guys who can score goals but aren't very hard to play against and therefore can be pretty readily shut down in the playoffs when games get tighter - in the Rangers series that was our whole top 6 basically. And we have guys that may be somewhat hard to play against, but they can't provide any offense in the way that Asham, Boyle, Paille and other teams' grit guys can.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:31 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
I think they gave Wilson those playoff games because they realized that, outside of Joel Ward, our team does not have any forward who are hard to play against who can also score goals -- and they hoped Wilson could be that guy (and he almost was, but couldn't bury that chance in Game 7 right after Green was stoned). Now the fact that it took them until Game 5 of the 1st round of the playoffs to realize that that might be a useful commodity in the playoffs tells you most of what you need to know about how this team is architect-ed.

We have plenty of guys who can score goals but aren't very hard to play against and therefore can be pretty readily shut down in the playoffs when games get tighter - in the Rangers series that was our whole top 6 basically. And we have guys that may be somewhat hard to play against, but they can't provide any offense in the way that Asham, Boyle, Paille and other teams' grit guys can.
Good point and a valid reason we probably saw Wilson over Volpatti. Oates was desperate for goals.

Yet didn't attempt a simple line change :

Fehr showed a little bit of that hard to play against may score a goal thing. It seemed like his play eased after filling in for Erat though. Chimera was in the mix.

Its tough to focus on 4th line RW's when the top 2 lines really showed no chemistry at all in these playoffs and outside of Ovi's hit parade played soft, and the lines just seemed disjointed. The best our top 2 lines looked is when Rat & Rib were playing keep away on the boards.

I see too much money tied into our RW's, and none are a good fit on the 4th line, and Wilson is knocking on the door. Hello George, do you want another scoring RW? Watch him ink a RW free agent.

I personally think Wilson can be our 4th line RW and have positive development. Stick him in the PP slot and promote him at times even if he looks a little lost.

No matter how you slice em, Ward Brouwer and Fehr stand in Wilson's way.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Swap Ward and Fehr and that is what I see next season's regular forward lines looking like also.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:07 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Swap Ward and Fehr and that is what I see next season's regular forward lines looking like also.
I also think that Laich and Johansson might be playing musical chairs, but yeah. That's the lineup.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I also think that Laich and Johansson might be playing musical chairs, but yeah. That's the lineup.
Yeah IMO Johansson, Laich, and Perreault will sort of play that game for the most part with the 2C, 3C, and one of the top 2 lines LW spots.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:57 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
You gotta give me 4 to 1 odds <beers> to start. He hasn't played in months! And is widely viewed around here as George's write off, including by you.

On the roster... you are saying he is gone completely. So I get 2 to 1 for being on the roster.

Oh, and don't forget about the +50 point spread

#FastTimes
haha

You're on!

I do think this is the end of #55. I also think that Ribs and Hendrix are goners as well.

GMGM has surprised me before so I can't be sure but my instincts tell me so this time.

It was telling that a guy like Hillen easly leapfrogged him into the lineup. Schultz went from being a top pairing dman here (loosely used phrase there) to a routine healthy scratch. Hunter had him in and out of the lineup last year but at least he found his way back in.

Oates on the other hand banished his ass.

Old
05-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Ridley Simon

Caps will take a firm step backwards next season. Simply being away from the Southeast will see to that being a reality.

I honestly do not see this team making the playoffs, unless some serious moves are made. The team that lost to the Rags, minus Ribeiro, in the new Atlantic division....does not get into the playoffs.

9th, 10th, maybe as low as 12th.

That Said?

FIRE George!!

Old
05-27-2013, 12:37 PM
txpd

i think the rw situation will be ovechkin and brouwer at 1 and 2. then wilson on 3 and ward on 4. oates like to roll 4 lines. wilson will be playing with an established nhl center.
ward will provide some veteran guidence if it looks likely that latta is the 4c.

ward's ice time will increase come playoffs as it tends to do.

as for missing the playoffs? it fits the fire george scenario. god forbid that the younger players continue to get better including the goalies and the defensemen. if ov is back and backstrom returns to form, i dont see how this team gets worse.

Old
05-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Fehr could be LW at 3rd line. Chimera at 4th.

Old
05-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think the rw situation will be ovechkin and brouwer at 1 and 2. then wilson on 3 and ward on 4. oates like to roll 4 lines. wilson will be playing with an established nhl center.
ward will provide some veteran guidence if it looks likely that latta is the 4c.

ward's ice time will increase come playoffs as it tends to do.

as for missing the playoffs? it fits the fire george scenario. god forbid that the younger players continue to get better including the goalies and the defensemen. if ov is back and backstrom returns to form, i dont see how this team gets worse.
Young players dont always get better. Carlson is example A.

They are hamstrung by the Cap, and will have zero centre depth again minus Ribiero. Its very easy to see this team falter.

They went 15-3 versus the Southeast. They went 4-9-2 versus their new division.

Not sure how 4-9-2, minus their 2nd best C, doesnt make them worse?

FIRE George!

Old
06-10-2013, 01:46 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
make up your mind, now. mcphee got ripped for a 3 year deal for bradley and a 2 year deal for hendricks as some thing these player are disposable year to year players and changing them every year isnt a problem.

also you seem to be ripping mcphee for not signing players that demand unreasonable prices to keep. something that if done would be another reason to bash mcphee.
Not getting a point here. Although Bradley was a 4th rounder, Mcphee & co have proven over and over that they are unable to judge late round talent. We come away with NO ONE year after year.

Old
06-10-2013, 02:23 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
No doubt on Volpatti's playing time. And I'm not even for re-signing Hendy, but I'm just forewarning people that he did a lot more for this team than some may realize and again it looks like we are making up the fallback plan as we go along...

And as far as his fight cared, he was well below .500 as a fighter for the Caps

And for the Caps scouting department and McPhee, typically the late rounds start after the first...
Got a friend who treats his car like George McPhee treats the team: he half-arses every small repair or just ignores the problem, and when something major occurs, you end up weighing it against all of the other small repairs that need to be done as well, making you wonder whether the car is just too far gone to bother with.

Pick any area of the team, and there are serious issues. Hendricks is a small matter next to all of the other things that need changing.

We need a GM with real vision and we'll need to give him considerable time to repair things.

Old
06-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Not getting a point here. Although Bradley was a 4th rounder, Mcphee & co have proven over and over that they are unable to judge late round talent. We come away with NO ONE year after year.
Yeah, it's not like Mathieu Perreault and Braden Holtby were on the team last year...

For every Pavel Datsyuk, there's 100 Nick Larsons. Nobody gets much in the later rounds. Only 12% of players drafted in rounds 3 and later play 200 games in the NHL. From 2004-2009, the Capitals have drafted 34 players in rounds 3 and later. Six of those players (17.6%) have played in the NHL. Two of them will definitely not reach the 200 game plateu (Andrew Gordon, Oskar Osala). Sami Lepisto and Mathieu Perreault are likely to hit the 200 game mark next season, and odds look good for Braden Holtby and Cody Eakin as well. Patrick Wey could reach the NHL as soon as next season, will likely see at least a cup of coffee at some point, and could still become an NHL regular. Even if Wey doesn't, that's still 3/34 picks (11.76%), right on par with the rest of the NHL.

It's far too early to call for the drafts since 2009, but a number of Caps draft picks seem very promising (with Grubauer already tasting NHL action).

Old
06-10-2013, 04:40 PM
SouthernBaseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Sami Lepisto and Mathieu Perreault are likely to hit the 200 game mark next season
Yeah Sami Lepistö will probably never play again in the NHL. But anyways, one guy away from league average isn't terrible and Riley Barber (6th round) looks like a great pick. Not too concerned about the Caps' scouting and drafting.

Old
06-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBaseball View Post
Yeah Sami Lepistö will probably never play again in the NHL. But anyways, one guy away from league average isn't terrible and Riley Barber (6th round) looks like a great pick. Not too concerned about the Caps' scouting and drafting.
Didn't realize he had signed another KHL contract for next season (and beyond?). Was operating under the assumption he had just went there to play a full season and avoid the lockout.

Barber had one hell of a freshman season in the NCAA and a great WJHC. Hopefully he can keep that rolling. We've seen plenty of freshmen fail to live up to their first year in college hockey, including Caleb Herbert just this year.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:46 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Yeah, it's not like Mathieu Perreault and Braden Holtby were on the team last year...

For every Pavel Datsyuk, there's 100 Nick Larsons. Nobody gets much in the later rounds. Only 12% of players drafted in rounds 3 and later play 200 games in the NHL. From 2004-2009, the Capitals have drafted 34 players in rounds 3 and later. Six of those players (17.6%) have played in the NHL. Two of them will definitely not reach the 200 game plateu (Andrew Gordon, Oskar Osala). Sami Lepisto and Mathieu Perreault are likely to hit the 200 game mark next season, and odds look good for Braden Holtby and Cody Eakin as well. Patrick Wey could reach the NHL as soon as next season, will likely see at least a cup of coffee at some point, and could still become an NHL regular. Even if Wey doesn't, that's still 3/34 picks (11.76%), right on par with the rest of the NHL.

It's far too early to call for the drafts since 2009, but a number of Caps draft picks seem very promising (with Grubauer already tasting NHL action).
Braden & MP have yet to accomplish anything....and if they do, they'll be just 2 of how many during McPhee's tenure?

Or, maybe you were being sarcastic?

Are you really claiming that McPhee has done a good job drafting after round 5?

Yeah, Datsuk (and Zetterberg) were very late picks, and you don't find many late.

But shouldn't we find a few? We don't find anything.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:20 PM
bags92

Quote:
Braden & MP have yet to accomplish anything....and if they do, they'll be just 2 of how many during McPhee's tenure?

Yeah, Datsuk (and Zetterberg) were very late picks, and you don't find many late.

To say they haven't accomplished anything is silly. Holtby has earned a #1 spot as a goaltender in the NHL. And you're saying we don't find anything late, but no one that was drafted later than Perreault in his draft year has more points in their career and no one has played more games with the exception of Derek Dorsett. And obviously nothing has happened yet but Riley Barber looks to be a very promising late round pick.

And as previously stated, only 12% of guys play over 200 games in he league and GMGM seems to be on par with his later picks.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:

Holtby has won a playoff series and come a game away from two more by age 23, which is a hell of an accomplishment for any goalie, let alone one taken in the fourth round. Perrault is a 6th round draft pick who's earned an everyday NHL job. You know how many Red Wings draft picks since Zetterberg have earned everyday NHL jobs after being picked in the 6th round or later? One - Johnathan Ericsson, and it took him 7 years from when he was drafted.

I think you're really underestimating how tough it is to hit in the later rounds. McPhee has by no means been outstanding in that regard, but he's not below average either.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:33 PM
BTCG

Holtby is the most successful we've had... but aren't we trying to win a Cup?

Look, we're notoriously bad with our late round picks... to deny it is silly.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Holtby is the most successful we've had... but aren't we trying to win a Cup?

Look, we're notoriously bad with our late round picks... to deny it is silly.
Does "silly" mean factually/numerically undeniable?

Old
06-10-2013, 09:36 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Holtby has won a playoff series and come a game away from two more by age 23, which is a hell of an accomplishment for any goalie, let alone one taken in the fourth round. Perrault is a 6th round draft pick who's earned an everyday NHL job. You know how many Red Wings draft picks since Zetterberg have earned everyday NHL jobs after being picked in the 6th round or later? One - Johnathan Ericsson, and it took him 7 years from when he was drafted.

I think you're really underestimating how tough it is to hit in the later rounds. McPhee has by no means been outstanding in that regard, but he's not below average either.
What round did they find Holmstrom in? How bout Konstantinov?

You don't have to build your team from them, but naming 2 late rounders picks in 15 years isn't a track record of success.

Closed Thread