HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

So Really, Why Is the CEC So Quiet?

Old
02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
LetangInTheSO

vCash: 500
So Really, Why Is the CEC So Quiet?

Hate to start two downer threads in one week, but I'm wondering if you guys can feed my curiosity.

The Mellon could be a pretty lively, raucous building. The CEC is startingly subdued in comparison. So what the heck happened? I see that the consensus is that the lower bowl is occupied by corporate suits. Did the demographic of the STHs really change that drastically virtually overnight? I can't imagine that a good majority of STHs from the Mellon Arena decided not to renew, especially to the extent that the CEC STH base has completely turned over.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Flat Stanley

I think people want to go there to watch a hockey game. They cheer when it's necessary, fight, big hit, goal, win.

Mellon Arena was a smaller arena, you could hear more on TV, now you can barely hear the goal song or the crowd, it might be louder in the arena than you originally think when you're watching the game on TV.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

I'm there every game and in my opinion a few things are going on here:

1) People are remembering Mellon as being louder than it was and thinking that CEC is quieter than it is.

2) The acoustics were much different in Mellon than they are in CEC. Mellon was designed to keep sound in since it was originally a concert venue. CEC has huge, high rafters above the crowds/ice. It's also not as loud on tv as Mellon was bc of mic/camera placement.

3) The sound system is INCREDIBLY loud and drowns out the fans. They even turned it down this season and it's still too loud. The organist is a problem with drowning out fans as well.

4) And yes, there are a lot of corporate types there. They're paying the bills.

Really though, I don't get why people are so hung up on this. Maybe people are just there to watch a hockey game? It's not like everyone sits on their hands all game long. They cheer after good shifts. They cheer after goals are scored. They cheer for big hits. And the playoffs are quite loud. It's just like the thing with the people leaving early. Yes, some do. It's not nearly as many as people say it is. I've seen estimates of up to half the arena here and other places, which is absurd.

Mountain out of a molehill, beating a dead horse, pick the cliche of your choice.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I think people want to go there to watch a hockey game. They cheer when it's necessary, fight, big hit, goal, win.

Mellon Arena was a smaller arena, you could hear more on TV, now you can barely hear the goal song or the crowd, it might be louder in the arena than you originally think when you're watching the game on TV.
Thanks for bringing this up...when I first watched CEC games on TV, I thought that the building only seemed more quiet, but that practical factors like acoustics, mic positioning, etc. could be at play. But the consensus here on HF seems to be that the crowd truly is much less lively. Curious to hear more thoughts on this...

Old
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

From what I understand...High ticket prices = suits that aren't going to be loud for fear of making ***** of themselves.

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 02-19-2013 at 11:16 PM.
HuskerTornado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:58 PM
PensFan68

It just seems big and open. The Igloo seemed more compact, thus keeping the noise contained. The CEC is just a huge looking warehouse (IMO) from the inside, and I think that it lets noise escape more than the Igloo did. Whether or not there is any truth to this or not, I have no clue. Just been my thoughts.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Sivek

A decent bit of it is because of some rose-tinted nostalgia. I remember going to a ton of games of at the Civic area where the crowd was not noticeably different from what it is now.

Then again, crowd noise/participation is hugely overrated by fans. In the supposedly tepid CEC, the Pens had one of the best home records in the league last year, just two wins from the most home victories in the league. Year before that, same deal, 2 wins from most home victories in the league. No doubt they'll finish near the top again by season's end. Last couple of seasons at Mellon, the Cup teams, were worse at home then the CEC teams despite the soul-sucking corporate pigs and their white-collared, there to be seen ways....or so most would leave you to believe.

Also, I'm not saying there's no such thing as home-field advantage, because there definitely is, but a team's play at home has much more to do with the overall talent level of the team than the crowd, though I know people don't want to hear that.

Sivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:01 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I'm there every game and in my opinion a few things are going on here:

1) People are remembering Mellon as being louder than it was and thinking that CEC is quieter than it is.

2) The acoustics were much different in Mellon than they are in CEC. Mellon was designed to keep sound in since it was originally a concert venue. CEC has huge, high rafters above the crowds/ice. It's also not as loud on tv as Mellon was bc of mic/camera placement.

3) The sound system is INCREDIBLY loud and drowns out the fans. They even turned it down this season and it's still too loud. The organist is a problem with drowning out fans as well.

4) And yes, there are a lot of corporate types there. They're paying the bills.

Really though, I don't get why people are so hung up on this. Maybe people are just there to watch a hockey game? It's not like everyone sits on their hands all game long. They cheer after good shifts. They cheer after goals are scored. They cheer for big hits. And the playoffs are quite loud. It's just like the thing with the people leaving early. Yes, some do. It's not nearly as many as people say it is. I've seen estimates of up to half the arena here and other places, which is absurd.

Mountain out of a molehill, beating a dead horse, pick the cliche of your choice.
Funny, we posted at the exact same time and mentioned many of the same things. Yeah, when it comes to making a mountain out of a mole hill, suffice it to say I'm not losing sleep over this, I'm just curious to hear opinions about this from the folks lucky enough to live in Pittsburgh and catch games at the CEC.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

vCash: 422
Mellon really wasn't half as loud as people are remembering it to be. It was just as crazy as it is being made to be at times, and it certainly did shake...but the loudness factor has been taken to mythical levels that it never reached in any of the ~120 games I went to there.

On the flip side Consol isn't nearly as quiet as people say it is. It appears that way on TV, but that's because of mic placements and volume levels (want proof? Listen to the goal horn after a Penguins goal and then compare that to the volume of other horns on local telecasts in the league...our horn is no less blaring than any other in the league). The closer to the ice seats are definitely quieter as it's a richer, more passive crowd...but the upper level is every bit as loud as the Igloo's was.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Funny, we posted at the exact same time and mentioned many of the same things. Yeah, when it comes to making a mountain out of a mole hill, suffice it to say I'm not losing sleep over this, I'm just curious to hear opinions about this from the folks lucky enough to live in Pittsburgh and catch games at the CEC.
Yeah, sorry, I realize that my post may have come off as ****** toward you. It was more a reaction to being tired of everyone under the sun whinging about how quiet it is in CEC. It's not Winnipeg but it's not the library people claim it is either. The truth is usually somewhere in between.

IMO it's the result of a bored/spoiled fan base looking for things to complain about, but that's probably an unpopular opinion.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:08 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

A lot of issues have been touched upon and I agree with most all of them.

I will add a few more. People are very used to a high level of play from our Geno and Sid as we have seen them do so many great things. So the expectation level from those is so high, that fans aren't really impressed with them as they were when their play was a lot newer in our eyes. They just aren't appreciated in the same way. Fans take them for granted to a degree. And also the Cup the win. Fans are just not going to be as excited with a regular season game after feeling the adrenaline and rush that come with the playoffs. The context of winning a regular season game is just not enough to get excited about as when our team expectations were lower. When you are expected to win.........

The same things happened after our early 90's Cup wins. I would go to games in the early and mid 90's and we would score a goal, an ordinary goal, and maybe half the fans would even stand up or even cheer. If it wasn't a highlight type goal, it was yawner for a lot of the building. As as season ticket holder I noticed the change in the atmosphere, and I see the exact same thing now. I didn't enjoy going as much, (fan atmosphere wise) after our Cup wins, and the same now. The atmosphere is drastically different after the Cup wins, and seeing extraordinary players becomes ordinary. Unfortunately.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:10 PM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Mellon really wasn't half as loud as people are remembering it to be. It was just as crazy as it was, and it did shake...but the loudness factor has been taken to mythical levels that it never reached in any of the ~120 games I went to there.

On the flip side Consol isn't nearly as quiet as people say it is.
It's funny that you say the igloo shook, because I know that my seats in tho lower bowl did, and they made a lot of noise too. I for one don't yell much at the games, but I could make a hell of a racket stomping my feet, not so in the CEC.

I'm sure it will be deafening tomorrow.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:12 PM
invictus

Why do so many posters act as if Pittsburgh is the only market where white-collar suits are the ones buying the pricier tickets near the glass?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:18 PM
JTG

Quote:
Mellon really wasn't half as loud as people are remembering it to be. It was just as crazy as it is being made to be at times, and it certainly did shake...but the loudness factor has been taken to mythical levels that it never reached in any of the ~120 games I went to there.

On the flip side Consol isn't nearly as quiet as people say it is. It appears that way on TV, but that's because of mic placements and volume levels (want proof? Listen to the goal horn after a Penguins goal and then compare that to the volume of other horns on local telecasts in the league...our horn is no less blaring than any other in the league). The closer to the ice seats are definitely quieter as it's a richer, more passive crowd...but the upper level is every bit as loud as the Igloo's was.
Bingo

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:18 PM
cassius

Quote:
Agree to disagree. I went to 2 games so far this year at the Consol (in the lower bowl) and you could hear a pin drop. It's really damn quiet in there.

I think it all goes back to the economics - tickets cost $100-$160, so the corporate crowd / more affluent folks are now buying the tickets.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Til the End of Time

honest question. why are the crowds at winnipeg so loud and crazy?

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:28 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
I am sure that there are several reasons, but I gotta think one of the top reasons is simply having NHL back. You go that long without something you dearly love, you are going to be extremely excited to have it back. They have that passion, and it is shown by how vocal they are. Great to watch their games on Center ice.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Florentino Ariza

You people talking about "mic placement"...have you even been to the games? You can hear a pin drop and most of the people there are in their 50s. It's embarrassing.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:32 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
You people talking about "mic placement"...have you even been to the games? You can hear a pin drop and most of the people there are in their 50s. It's embarrassing.
It maybe an older crowd, but the younger people aren't that loud either. I was kinda surprised by that, as sometimes I will be in a section and the "older" fans will be much louder than the younger fans.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Hey, yeah, hockey is only for the young! Go home and watch your Jean Pronovost highlights, oldsters!

I honestly have no idea why older people at games would be embarrassing, but whatever. Also most of the people there are prob between their 20s and 40s in my experience but ymmv. Maybe they should just go back to giving away thousands of student rush tickets every game. They'll finish last in the conference every season but the games sure will be loud.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 2800
Since they renovated the entire inner bowl of MSG, it's been quiet there too. I don't want to say that the prices have anything to do with it, since I've been to two games so far this year and looking around I could see plenty of fans in jerseys. The "suits" obviously wear suits, so it would be easy to say it's their fault if they were the only ones at the game, but that's not the case.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:38 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Hey, yeah, hockey is only for the young! Go home and watch your Jean Pronovost highlights, oldsters!

I honestly have no idea why older people at games would be embarrassing, but whatever. Also most of the people there are prob between their 20s and 40s in my experience but ymmv.
Haha, one of my all time favorites. Loved Pronny. Him, Battleship, Kehoe, Lucky Pierre to name a few.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Haha, one of my all time favorites. Loved Pronny. Him, Battleship, Kehoe, Lucky Pierre to name a few.
I'm not old enough to have seen them play so I guess that makes me a rarity at the games?

Old
02-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
One team city that eats, breathes, sleeps, ****s, drinks, etc. hockey...plus they haven't even had the Jets back for 100 games yet. Let's see if they're still this enthusiastic after a long stretch of losing or when winning becomes expected and not just a treat. Honestly I don't expect a huge drop-off, but the Jets are still in their honeymoon phase. It's not a fair comparison to make to any team in the league...except Markham and Quebec when they get their expansion teams. You can make a comparison between that trio.

I mean they have the Blue Bombers...but they're about as relevant as the Pitt Panthers are.

And yes, I've been to Consol a few times. The lower bowl is quiet (though not as bad as I've seen it made to be here) and the upper bowl is normal. That's how it is in just about any arena that has a long waiting list for season tickets (except Winnipeg).

Also it bugs me that people equate loudness with being a good fan. I'm a quiet fan. I'm no less of a fan because I don't boo everything that moves and shout SHOOT at the top of my lungs when the damn shooting lane is blocked.

Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:47 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
I'm not old enough to have seen them play so I guess that makes me a rarity at the games?
Haha, maybe.