HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We are fine!

Old
02-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit

vCash: 500
We are fine!

I'm honestly tired of people being all negative about the way the blues have played this year. They have had one of the toughest schedules and they have been without their number 1 goalie for a chunk of the season.

The Blues are right where I expected them to be at this point. Sure, you can speculate what the blues need to improve, but do it in a way that is reflecting our hometown team in a positive way.

We are in the hunt, and there is plenty of time left. halak is set, we are adjusted after the lockout. I expect big things.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:20 AM
Borderbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reavesthemaniac View Post
I'm honestly tired of people being all negative about the way the blues have played this year. They have had one of the toughest schedules and they have been without their number 1 goalie for a chunk of the season.

The Blues are right where I expected them to be at this point. Sure, you can speculate what the blues need to improve, but do it in a way that is reflecting our hometown team in a positive way.

We are in the hunt, and there is plenty of time left. halak is set, we are adjusted after the lockout. I expect big things.
Good to see that not everyone is panicking about the season so far. All we need to do is make the playoffs and peak at the end of the season and we will have a chance. 30+ years of watching the playoffs and I have learned that anyone can surprise the league and win the cup. You just have to get there and then play your best. LA was not expected to do anything last year, they barely made playoffs. Hell, Cardinals won World Series as wildcard a few years back, with one of the worst records in MLB.

Way too early for everyone to get down on this team. Never give up, I will always believe Blues can win it all, until they are finally eliminated!

Borderbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:44 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I think we'll wind up being fine by the end of this season and we'll get in the tournament which is all you need to reach the Finals. There are things to notice and discuss and suggest remedies along the way but I agree, there's a bit too much negativity right now (in general).

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:23 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

I think expectations before the season and especially after the first few games were set to high.
Not just by the fans, also by the players.
Expecting a start-finish domination wasn't really fair and our guys seemed to think victories come easy, even without hard work.

This time had to come, I hope the boys learned their lwason and I'm glad it happens in Feb and not in April

As others here have written:
Work hard, qualify for the POs, work harder, see what happens

I also think we overarchieved abit last season. When we played effortless or flat goalies stole the game, when goalies looked shaky team defense was on top, etc

We have to work hard to earn this luck again and then we should see pretty soon how good or "fine" we really are

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:54 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
I think expectations before the season and especially after the first few games were set to high.
Expecting a start-finish domination wasn't really fair and our guys seemed to think victories come easy, even without hard work.

This time had to come, I hope the boys learned their lwason and I'm glad it happens in Feb and not in April

I also think we overarchieved abit last season. When we played effortless or flat goalies stole the game, when goalies looked shaky team defense was on top, etc

We have to work hard to earn this luck again and then we should see pretty soon how good or "fine" we really are
I don't think The Blues "overachieved". I think that the whole team bought into Hitch's system, played all out for the whole season, and played more to their potential than they have, so far, this season. I think that Halak, Elliott, McDonald, Perron, Oshie, Backes and others not playing from Sept. through December hurt them some, and Tarasenko, and his scoring skill and the team's whole ease in scoring in their first few games, got the team thinking that it will be a lot easier for them to score this season than last, and they'll still have their great defence.

This all made them feel as if they just would need to step out onto the ice and they would dominate the league. They forgot that, even despite their great won-lost record last season, they were a team that had needed to play hard in all zones, all game long in every game, to achieve that record. So, the scoring went to their heads, and both the fowards AND defencemen started concentrating on scoring, instead of playing a strong 2-way game (stressing defence), and we have seen the sad results.

The team is almost completely the same as the one that came within 2 points of The President's Trophy, with a good scorer, and yet, 2 way player in Tarasenko added, and decent 2-way player in Schwartz added, both youngsters replacing aged Arnott and (for all intents and purposes) Langenbrunner.

So, it is highly conceivable that The Blues can get back to their dominating possession game, which will bring back the smothering defence, with only the nice difference that with the addition of the 2 rookies and the continued development of their other young forwards, they'll also be able to score better than last season. That will mean that, despite Chicago's current lead, The Blues should be among the Top 4 in The West at season's end, and have a reasonable chance at winning The Stanly Cup (especially if Armstrong adds a relatively high-quality defenceman before the trade deadline).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:45 AM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Besides the Hawks and to a lesser degree the Ducks, the Blues are right in the hunt for tops in the league. 4 points out(save for the 2 aforementioned teams) of the top spot in the league is a good place to be in.

So, calmate, enjoy the season's ups and downs and enjoy this team. they're talented, competitive, and can beat any team in this league.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post

Personally, I think the team peaked the last month of the regular season last year - which is part of the reason we got run by LA - our best hockey was played in April, not May. Going through a tough run is good for this team.

Way to early to look at things. I do agree we need a big body on d. But Cole has played pretty darn well and has looked good next to Pie. The real problem is lack of solid top 4 on the left side. Russell has look like poop, and I don't feel we have the same moxy (physical play on the 4th line) that we had last year. We are more skilled then last year AND deeper. Personally, the D is actually better then last year as I like Cole's play better then Colas.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Good goal tending is the key. We have had below average goal tending most of the season. Allen stopped the streak of really bad goal tending and it continued with Halak Wednesday night. Hopefully the trend continues.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Two observations:

- The Blues are a marked team this season. They're not sneaking up on anyone. Every game, they're getting the best focused effort from their opponents. (That's why the Vancouver win was so meaningful.) There were some teams last year where the Blues were sneaking up on them to some degree. I think that happens a lot with the cross-conference games. Teams haven't faced the Blues and aren't prepared for the game.

- Second thought: Its nice to be a fan of a team that is in the middle of the playoff pack, and there is a strong sentiment of not being satisfied with the performance so far....from both the fans but also the coaches and players. By the time we get to the end of the season, I'd rather my team have overcome some adversity to get there, than to run wire to wire as the Presidents Trophy winner. I think it bodes better for post-season success to know you can overcome adversity.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:09 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Two observations:

- The Blues are a marked team this season. They're not sneaking up on anyone. Every game, they're getting the best focused effort from their opponents. (That's why the Vancouver win was so meaningful.) There were some teams last year where the Blues were sneaking up on them to some degree. I think that happens a lot with the cross-conference games. Teams haven't faced the Blues and aren't prepared for the game.

- Second thought: Its nice to be a fan of a team that is in the middle of the playoff pack, and there is a strong sentiment of not being satisfied with the performance so far....from both the fans but also the coaches and players. By the time we get to the end of the season, I'd rather my team have overcome some adversity to get there, than to run wire to wire as the Presidents Trophy winner. I think it bodes better for post-season success to know you can overcome adversity.
I agree.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:19 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I think we'll wind up being fine by the end of this season and we'll get in the tournament which is all you need to reach the Finals. There are things to notice and discuss and suggest remedies along the way but I agree, there's a bit too much negativity right now (in general).
46 years and no cups will do that, and until it happens there will continue to be "negativity"

just saying...

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:23 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I'm used to drama from Blues fans, but this board has usually been more level-headed. I guess the improvement in the Blues' fortunes the past couple seasons, and the higher expectations, is bringing more posters and more drama.

I'm very much enjoying this season. The journey to Cup glory is right there at their feet. I think the Blues have as good a chance as anyone right now, and there are a lot of teams that can't say that already since the season started.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Mike Liut

Adversity makes a team stronger. Sit back, and enjoy the ride. Remember, this is only entertainment, not life or death.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:11 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Also, let's remember that only three teams in the West look decent at all. Chicago, Anaheim and Vancouver. Everyone else has been highly inconsistent.

Nashville? At 8-4-5 they've lost more than half their games and can't score.

San Jose? Great start, have looked awful since and their fan base wants a rebuild.

Phoenix and Minnesota are each 8-6-2, so winning half their games. Neither has looked anything special.

Those are just teams in playoff position in the West. There are 7 more teams who look pretty mediocre to bad. Even Cup champs LA (who I still expect to make it and be dangerous in the playoffs) have had some pretty crappy games.

Also, we know the Blues can play with any of Chicago, Anaheim and Vancouver when they're playing well. Just some perspective.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 380
Quote:
Also, let's remember that only three teams in the West look decent at all. Chicago, Anaheim and Vancouver. Everyone else has been highly inconsistent.

Nashville? At 8-4-5 they've lost more than half their games and can't score.

San Jose? Great start, have looked awful since and their fan base wants a rebuild.

Phoenix and Minnesota are each 8-6-2, so winning half their games. Neither has looked anything special.

Those are just teams in playoff position in the West. There are 7 more teams who look pretty mediocre to bad. Even Cup champs LA (who I still expect to make it and be dangerous in the playoffs) have had some pretty crappy games.

Also, we know the Blues can play with any of Chicago, Anaheim and Vancouver when they're playing well. Just some perspective.
This is how I'm looking at it as well.

As far as the top 3 teams...

- We beat Vancouver.

- If Brian Elliott does not have the game he does, we almost assuredly beat Anaheim

- As bad as the Blues looked against Chicago to start, it was the second game of a back to back on the road against a rested team in their home opener. And if the ref doesn't blow the whistle early, the game is heading to OT.

There are plenty of positives to look at for this team right now.

- We are still in the playoffs

- Patrick Berglund is looking like the player we hoped for when drafted

- The Power Play is tops in the league with something like 8 different guys having power play goals

- 10 different guys have 11+ points already

Sure the defense is struggling a little bit and Elliott has struggled but the team will turn this around. Need more faith boys.

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Robb_K

I'll feel a LOT better when The Blues' skaters (forwards and defencemen) consistently play the same dominating puck possession TEAM game in all zones, that they were playing last season, and their goalies are back in shape, playing much better than now. Until then, unfortunately, I'll remain fairly anxious.

Unfortunately, for ME, Blues' Hockey is MORE than just entertainment (as described by a poster above). This is from a fan of 46 years, who has seen our Canadian Stanley Cup won by almost brand new teams located in The Tropics!!! I have a big stake in desiring fairness in The World.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I'll feel a LOT better when The Blues' skaters (forwards and defencemen) consistently play the same dominating puck possession TEAM game in all zones, that they were playing last season, and their goalies are back in shape, playing much better than now. Until then, unfortunately, I'll remain fairly anxious.

Unfortunately, for ME, Blues' Hockey is MORE than just entertainment (as described by a poster above). This is from a fan of 46 years, who has seen our Canadian Stanley Cup won by almost brand new teams located in The Tropics!!! I have a big stake in desiring fairness in The World.

It is certainly entertainment. You and I aren't on the team, neither are our family members. We have no direct ties to the team. We are fans who love watching. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:32 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

vCash: 3038
When they entered the cave once again, Russian Jesus had vanished...

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
It is certainly entertainment. You and I aren't on the team, neither are our family members. We have no direct ties to the team. We are fans who love watching. Nothing more, nothing less.
I DID HAVE a direct link to the team, almost from its inception (when Ab McDonald was on the team). His family were neighbours back in Winnipeg, and our family was very friendly with theirs. I was a fan of The Blackhawks the 10 years he was with them, and switched my allegiance fully to The Blues in 1968, when he joined them. But, I had also been a Blues fan when they started in mid 1967 (for other reasons). I've been waiting for them to win The Stanley Cup since 1967. Should I have stopped rooting for them just because Ab retired?

My family knew Butch Goring's family, too. But, somehow, I never cared to become a Kings or Islanders' fan. I stayed loyal to The Blues. So, shoot me down for that.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
I DID HAVE a direct link to the team, almost from its inception (when Ab McDonald was on the team). His family were neighbours back in Winnipeg, and our family was very friendly with theirs. I was a fan of The Blackhawks the 10 years he was with them, and switched my allegiance fully to The Blues in 1968, when he joined them. But, I had also been a Blues fan when they started in mid 1967 (for other reasons). I've been waiting for them to win The Stanley Cup since 1967. Should I have stopped rooting for them just because Ab retired?

My family knew Butch Goring's family, too. But, somehow, I never cared to become a Kings or Islanders' fan. I stayed loyal to The Blues. So, shoot me down for that.

Red Berenson lived down the street from my Grandparents, does that count too?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Red Berenson lived down the street from my Grandparents, does that count too?
If your whole family were good friends with Berenson's immediate family (both before he played for the team, and continuing to the present), then, yes, I would say so. I don't think one has to have a monetary stake in a firm's bottom line to care a lot about their performance.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:37 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:

Oh you poor bast ard.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Oh you poor bast ard.
Are you referring to Shanahan's rulings related to The Blues vs. those related to The Wings, or to the fact that I'm so shallow as to care more about The Blues than unfortunate people around The World getting enough to eat, being healthy, or having shelter, or living in a safe situation, or having freedom.

I'm not such a swine as to place games won or lost in a sport over people's welfare or Our Planet's health or really important things. I guess I'm just a long-sufferring Blues fan venting my frustration.

Maybe I'm an arse-hole for even writing that in a post. But, I'd like to think that most of my fellow posters here don't think so.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:18 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Are you referring to Shanahan's rulings related to The Blues vs. those related to The Wings, or to the fact that I'm so shallow as to care more about The Blues than unfortunate people around The World getting enough to eat, being healthy, or having shelter, or living in a safe situation, or having freedom.

I'm not such a swine as to place games won or lost in a sport over people's welfare or Our Planet's health or really important things. I guess I'm just a long-sufferring Blues fan venting my frustration.

Maybe I'm an arse-hole for even writing that in a post. But, I'd like to think that most of my fellow posters here don't think so.
No I was just making a minor joke about being heavily invested in the world being fair.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
No I was just making a minor joke about being heavily invested in the world being fair.
I know The World will never have complete fairness. But I believe it's not such a bad thing to hope to see some whenever the opportunity occurs, even knowing it's not likely to happen.

I think it's more healthy for the cardiovascular and immune systems to be an eternal optimist becoming disappointed a lot, but reveling in the few instances that DO occur, than to be an eternal pessimist, living a disillusioned life of depression.