HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 4: Tambo: Here's my number, call me maybe?

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Would love Brouwer in EDM but he is another RW ... If WSH is looking to free up $$ then Hemsky would not be going the other way.

unless its Brouwer + Jeff Schultz\Erskine for Hemsky

Old
02-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
See I'm the opposite, I think i'd much rather get Brouwer than Laich, especially if we're moving Hemsky.

Brouwer to me does alot of what we lack. The net presence, the consistent physical play, leadership, good/great along the boards, only 27, good option on the PK.

I'd consider something around Brouwer and Hemsky though, moreso than I would with something around Laich.
I'm the opposite of you here. I watched Troy Brouwer all playoff long last year, and the guy has zero hands. He's a complimentary player who can also play PK, which isn't bad, but not Hemsky worth.

Brooks Laich is a better option than Shawn Horcoff, if you picked up Laich and then gave the amnesty boot to Horcoff. I would save Hemsky for a d-man though.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I really looked into our forwards and honestly, I think we'd have been fine if everyone was healthy, and because that wasn't the case, our 5 on 5 scoring has been abysmal. It's hard to remember that Ryan Jones takes on a lot of hard minutes, same for Horcoff, that allow our kids to have less pressure on the defensive side of the game.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Eager-Belanger-Hartikainen
Who's been unhealthy in the top-6? Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky and Yak have been healthy. RNH has had a shoulder issue, but for the most part I think it's a slump rather than injury causing his lack of production. We're not scoring because we lack certain skills.

In your proposed lineup, Yakupov is still playing LW which he has shown to be pretty bad at doing.

02-24-2013, 03:09 PM
dnicks17

Laich has played a bunch of LW too, so if it is a deal around Laich and Hemsky, you could potentially have a 2nd line of Laich-Gagner-Yakupov.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:10 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
No thanks to moving Jones. He is exactly what this team needs.
If we're getting Brouwer and Ward as a return, I'd consider it. He's gonna ask for some dough as a UFA anyway.

But Washington wouldn't accept that in a million years.

For the guys offered up in Garrioch's post, I'd say Joel Ward looks like the one who'd be easiest to pry out of Washington.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Who's been unhealthy in the top-6? Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky and Yak have been healthy. RNH has had a shoulder issue, but for the most part I think it's a slump rather than injury causing his lack of production. We're not scoring because we lack certain skills.

In your proposed lineup, Yakupov is still playing LW which he has shown to be pretty bad at doing.
Like I said, until the end of the season. In an ideal scenario, we can package Hemsky + Paajarvi + something to get a top four d-man in the offseason and we can get a LW with size, like Ryane Clowe or even Dustin Penner (Clowe preferred of course) so that next year we go with:

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Clowe-RNH-Yakupov

or a mix of that

Old
02-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

They want to clear Cap Space?

Joel Ward + Troy Brouwer.
Ryan Whitney + Petrell + Colton Tuebert.

They get a great PK guy back with an expiring contract, and a defenceman who may turn it around, on an expiring contract. Tuebert is a project still. I think he has bottom pairing in him still, others don't see it.

Oilers take Wards bad contract, because we will take his grit.

Make another move, try for a defenceman.

Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Yakupov - Nuge - Eberle
Smyth - Horcoff - Brouwer
Jones - Belanger - Ward

Paajarvi/Harski/Lander + Potter/Peckham for Liles/Tallinder/An NHL defencemen.

Better yet Move Hall to Center.

Yakupov - Hall - Hemsky
Brouwer - Nuge -Eberle
Smyth - Horcoff - Jones
Ward - Belanger - Eager
Paajarvi / Harski (the one we keep)

Last edited by Valic: 02-24-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Like I said, until the end of the season. In an ideal scenario, we can package Hemsky + Paajarvi + something to get a top four d-man in the offseason and we can get a LW with size, like Ryane Clowe or even Dustin Penner (Clowe preferred of course) so that next year we go with:

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Clowe-RNH-Yakupov

or a mix of that
Not going to cut it...I doubt Gagner will ever get above 44 on faceoffs and is weak, albiet highly skilled, on the puck. We need a different C if we have RNH...We need to trade Gagner and Hemsky to improve our top 6.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Not going to cut it...I doubt Gagner will ever get above 44 on faceoffs and is weak, albiet highly skilled, on the puck. We need a different C if we have RNH...We need to trade Gagner and Hemsky to improve our top 6.
Who are the replacement you're going to get with those trades?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Meanashell11

DO NOT TRADE RYAN JONES. We need to resign him because he is exactly what we need in the bottom 6. A guy who knows his role, plays it perfectly and in a pinch can move into the top 6. Look how much of a difference he made his first game back. SIGN HIM!

Old
02-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Soundwave

Agreed, I like the energy that Jones brings and he should be easy to re-sign given that he's missed some games.

We need basically two mean, angry mofos, one to take Hemsky's spot on the top six, and one more on the bottom six IMO.

We will lose some skill with Hemsky gone, but as Yakupov develops, that will be negated.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post

They get a great PK guy back with an expiring contract, and a defenceman who may turn it around, on an expiring contract. Tuebert is a project still. I think he has bottom pairing in him still, others don't see it.

Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Yakupov - Nuge - Eberle
Jones - Belanger - Ward

Yakupov - Hall - Hemsky
Brouwer - Nuge -Eberle
Smyth - Horcoff - Jones
Eager - Belanger - Eager
Do you think cloning Eager would really be advantageous to our fourth line?

Old
02-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post

Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Yakupov - Nuge - Eberle
Jones - Belanger - Ward

Yakupov - Hall - Hemsky
Brouwer - Nuge -Eberle
Smyth - Horcoff - Jones
Eager - Belanger - Eager
Yak does not belong at LW..simply doesn't work and we've seen that since the season started.
I really don't fathom why Krueger doesn't move Eberle to LW..If they've been watching at all the last couple of years, he scores the majority of his points from that side anyway. He's also smart enough to be creative, no matter where he is..It's almost too logical to do it..
That leaves Yak and Hemsky (if no trade) on the right.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:35 PM
cpsman

Quote:
Yak does not belong at LW..simply doesn't work and we've seen that since the season started.
I really don't fathom why Krueger doesn't move Eberle to LW..If they've been watching at all the last couple of years, he scores the majority of his points from that side anyway. He's also smart enough to be creative, no matter where he is..It's almost too logical to do it..
That leaves Yak and Hemsky (if no trade) on the right.
Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Eberle - Gagner - Hemsky

Would be scary if it works and eberle can play that side.

Maybe switch Hemsky and Yakupov initially ....but the thought of having a "first overall" line is interesting haha

Old
02-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Rafters

Quote:
In 701 attempts last year he was at 47.6

Old
02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

After the way Gagner has been playing this season, I'm not ready to give him up just yet. He's been our number 1 centre so far this season.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
In 701 attempts last year he was at 47.6
Didn't want to spend too much time on it but, obviously, made a quick determination and, yes, he had a better % last year. You know why? Because Horcoff, and to a lesser extent, Belanger, took the largest percentages of important faceoffs by far. Sam had most of the easy assignments and still couldn't get to 50% after almost 5 years as a center taking draws. This year when he's relied upon to take the draws..well, we see where he is.

I've been a supporter of Sam's from the beginning but if our plan is to have RNH as our #1, we cannot have Sam as #2...We need a stronger, 2-way with good faceoff and defensive reliabilities.

Despite what alot of HF posters think, I'd venture that GM's in the league view Sam as an important asset and if the Oil were to offer him, they'd garner a very good return...especially to a team that already had that strong #1 or #2....

I still believe, and I won't change my mind until the 'trade' results are known, that the Oil could get ROR for Gagner, a young D prospect (Musil?) and a 2nd round pick or some combination of drafts/prospects...

On another note, I think some combination of Hemsky, Smid/Petry, MPS, Marincin, 2nd round could get you a young D of some team needing to prop up for the playoffs but they still get some prospects...perhaps Yandle or Myers or Kulikov or..whatever...

Old
02-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Would love Brouwer in EDM but he is another RW ... If WSH is looking to free up $$ then Hemsky would not be going the other way.

unless its Brouwer + Jeff Schultz\Erskine for Hemsky
Can you imagine the mess that would be for announcers, etc with 3 Schultz's? And 2 of them with first names with the same intial. What a nightmare!

Old
02-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
DO NOT TRADE RYAN JONES. We need to resign him because he is exactly what we need in the bottom 6. A guy who knows his role, plays it perfectly and in a pinch can move into the top 6. Look how much of a difference he made his first game back. SIGN HIM!

It's great to see the love this guy gets on here now, because last year, there were a lot of people that had all kinds of trade scenarios for him worked out. When we make the playoffs, he will really shine, mark my words.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Didn't want to spend too much time on it but, obviously, made a quick determination and, yes, he had a better % last year. You know why? Because Horcoff, and to a lesser extent, Belanger, took the largest percentages of important faceoffs by far. Sam had most of the easy assignments and still couldn't get to 50% after almost 5 years as a center taking draws. This year when he's relied upon to take the draws..well, we see where he is.

I've been a supporter of Sam's from the beginning but if our plan is to have RNH as our #1, we cannot have Sam as #2...We need a stronger, 2-way with good faceoff and defensive reliabilities.

Despite what alot of HF posters think, I'd venture that GM's in the league view Sam as an important asset and if the Oil were to offer him, they'd garner a very good return...especially to a team that already had that strong #1 or #2....

I still believe, and I won't change my mind until the 'trade' results are known, that the Oil could get ROR for Gagner, a young D prospect (Musil?) and a 2nd round pick or some combination of drafts/prospects...

On another note, I think some combination of Hemsky, Smid/Petry, MPS, Marincin, 2nd round could get you a young D of some team needing to prop up for the playoffs but they still get some prospects...perhaps Yandle or Myers or Kulikov or..whatever...
I agree with most of this post but there are no easy assignments on the dot really. It's pretty much just as likely for a third and fourth line center to be better on the draw than a top six guy. Not saying Gagner's a good faceoff guy but it's so ridiculously overrated.

The difference between 45% and 50% seems so huge to us but the mathematics of it is that it's literally 1 out of 20 faceoffs being a loss instead of a win.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
I agree with most of this post but there are no easy assignments on the dot really. It's pretty much just as likely for a third and fourth line center to be better on the draw than a top six guy. Not saying Gagner's a good faceoff guy but it's so ridiculously overrated.

The difference between 45% and 50% seems so huge to us but the mathematics of it is that it's literally 1 out of 20 faceoffs being a loss instead of a win.
And too hit that point home, look at the 2nd worst faceoff team in then entire league last year.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Clowe-RNH-Yakupov

or a mix of that
Guys like Clowe(who I like) rarely make it to free agency. Penner doesn't fit here.

I'd rather trade for a guy like Brouwer or Laich, and then trade for a D-man from a team with excess. Take the Leafs for example. They have 8 D-man. Obviously we won't go for guys like Koskta(who the ****?) but a Gunnarsson who could be squeezed out or a Liles(though a little more expensive and older, but cheaper to acquire) wouldn't be bad options. The Sabres could be another option. A guy like Sekera might not be a bad idea to target through trade.

Options through trade are plenty, and instead of wasting another season away, I'd look to trade for players who can actually help rather than wait for free agency and hope to bid for a player against other teams.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Can you imagine the mess that would be for announcers, etc with 3 Schultz's? And 2 of them with first names with the same intial. What a nightmare!
Funny thing is that anyone that was at the Kings game last Tuesday got the Schultz treatment when Mark Lewis announced Justin as Jeff when assisted on the Gagner goal. Not once but twice without ever correcting himself.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Guys like Clowe(who I like) rarely make it to free agency. Penner doesn't fit here.

I'd rather trade for a guy like Brouwer or Laich, and then trade for a D-man from a team with excess. Take the Leafs for example. They have 8 D-man. Obviously we won't go for guys like Koskta(who the ****?) but a Gunnarsson who could be squeezed out or a Liles(though a little more expensive and older, but cheaper to acquire) wouldn't be bad options. The Sabres could be another option. A guy like Sekera might not be a bad idea to target through trade.

Options through trade are plenty, and instead of wasting another season away, I'd look to trade for players who can actually help rather than wait for free agency and hope to bid for a player against other teams.
None of those guys will really make a difference here.

I'm hoping an actual top four D-man hits the trade market by draft day. I like Dan Boyle but he's too old at this point.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
None of those guys will really make a difference here.

I'm hoping an actual top four D-man hits the trade market by draft day. I like Dan Boyle but he's too old at this point.
Really?

Both Gunnarsson and Liles played top-4 minutes with the Leafs last year and did pretty well defensively. Liles would add another puck mover who can make a breakout pass without giving it away to the opposition 100x times(thanks Whitney you ****).

Gunnarsson played some tough minutes on that team and didn't look half bad. Same with Sekera.

So I guess I'll ask, what sort of D-man do you hope to come available by draft day?

Closed Thread