HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Daz28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
There's....uh...a lot of impressive accomplishments at lower levels of hockey there. You have to break into the NHL somewhere.
I got no issue with a guy working his way up. He's had 1 freakin year behind an AHL bench. Cunneyworth has more cred than Rolston by MILES. If you want to blindly support an unsupported move, then fine, then again, you were ok with the last coach. I guess anyone will do, eh as long as they've done something somewhere sometime??

btw, a lot of people felt he was being pushed ahead too fast getting his AHL shot, too.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:09 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
I'm torn here. A piece of me -- the piece that watches too many hollywood blockbusters -- wants the team to rise from the ashes of Ruff and kick serious ass.

Another piece of me -- the one based on reason and logic fed by careful observation and analysis -- suspects things stay the same if not deteriorate from here, as these ass clowns lack the skill and commitment to team play to be anything more than average.
Does Darcy have anything to do with these ass clowns that lack the skill and commitment? Some of them are committing. Some of them look horrible. What will happen in hockey heaven?

Old
02-20-2013, 06:09 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
I got no issue with a guy working his way up. He's had 1 freakin year behind an AHL bench. Cunneyworth has more cred than Rolston by MILES. If you want to blindly support an unsupported move, then fine, then again, you were ok with the last coach. I guess anyone will do, eh as long as they've done something somewhere sometime??

btw, a lot of people felt he was being pushed ahead too fast getting his AHL shot, too.
*Yawn* Your personal attacks grow old.

You also understand that this is on an interim basis, right? I have no problem with him taking this roster that I don't believe is going anywhere anyway for the rest of this season and trying to prove himself.

The funny thing is, if you actually read other threads, you'd see that I don't particularly like this move for the upheaval it causes in Rochester for an Amerks team that has been going quite well recently. But I guess telling people what they think is easier for you

Old
02-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Daz28

Quote:
*Yawn* Your personal attacks grow old.

You also understand that this is on an interim basis, right? I have no problem with him taking this roster that I don't believe is going anywhere anyway for the rest of this season and trying to prove himself.

The funny thing is, if you actually read other threads, you'd see that I don't particularly like this move for the upheaval it causes in Rochester for an Amerks team that has been going quite well recently. But I guess telling people what they think is easier for you
Personal attack, like what? I did no such thing.

My point is why let the guy who has little to no chance of solidifying the spot have it? The Ducks fired Carlyle WITH THE PLAN of getting Boudrea. Did ya hear that, A PLAN. Not just fire the guy, put in a plug, and deal with it next year.

btw, they liked Boudreau, and re-signed him that off-season. Were they foolish to waste that time evaluating him in the half season? no. Will we most likely look foolish when we send Rolston back to Rochy with Kevin Porter next year? I'll let you answer that one.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:21 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Personal attack, like what? I did no such thing.

My point is why let the guy who has little to no chance of solidifying the spot have it? The Ducks fired Carlyle WITH THE PLAN of getting Boudrea. Did ya hear that, A PLAN. Not just fire the guy, put in a plug, and deal with it next year.

btw, they liked Boudreau, and re-signed him that off-season. Were they foolish to waste that time evaluating him in the half season? no. Will we most likely look foolish when we send Rolston back to Rochy with Kevin Porter next year? I'll let you answer that one.
Good to know you know exactly what's going to happen in the future.

Got tomorrow's lottery numbers?

Old
02-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Royisgone

How does an interim coach impact the dynamic rolling forward in terms of roster changes?

I am afraid we might be slow to cut the dead wood and retard our progress because "The Man" is not here yet in terms of the permanent coach rolling forward.

Rolston is not going to have the authority to dictate movement the way a permanent coach with a name can.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Good to know you know exactly what's going to happen in the future.

Got tomorrow's lottery numbers?
No, and neither does Ron Rolston. Try this scenario on for size, the team gets the 'new coach bump' going, and then we keep a middling rookie AHL coach as our NHL coach. Sound like a lottery winner to you??

Old
02-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Bure80

Could Uwe Krupp be the next coach?

In my opinion he would be a very good coach.
He has done a great job with Germany (4th@WC).
Since he isnt Germany's coach anymore they are much worse. This shows he make's players better.Another advantage, he knows the Sabres very well. Played here from 86-92 and knows how to win the Cup.
With his current team he leads the German League.They had know Lockout players like other teams but still managed to be first.

Last edited by Bure80: 02-20-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 06:33 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Phil Housley
Patty Roy
Pat Lafontaine

Old
02-20-2013, 06:33 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I'd say chances are extremely slim, even with all the Germans on the Sabres. And didn't Uwe have a bit of an issue in Germany, caused some uproar?

Old
02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Wasn't there a rumor that Roy would only accept a NHL coaching job if he was given full control of the team, so basically if he was gm and coach?

Old
02-20-2013, 06:36 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
No, and neither does Ron Rolston. Try this scenario on for size, the team gets the 'new coach bump' going, and then we keep a middling rookie AHL coach as our NHL coach. Sound like a lottery winner to you??
The guy has been relatively successful at every level he's coached. Where this all started was how absurd it was for you to call him a "non-legit" coach.

I suspect the most likely outcome is that the Sabres play to their rosters level for the rest of the season, Regier gets let go, and the new GM gets to hire his first coach. And I have no problem with that sequence of events. As I said - while I hoped for better - I considered this year a rebuilding year before the puck was even dropped based on the quality of the roster.

If the Sabres overperform, particularly at the end of the season when the new coach bump will be long done (Boudreau's first half season in Anaheim wasn't exactly impressive) and Rolston will have had a chance to implement some of his ideas and systems, then I will have no problem if he's in the conversation next year for permanent coach.

If you're so dead set on bringing someone completely from the outside in with a day before their next game, who would you have brought in? At least Rolston has some familiarity with some of the players that went through Rochester.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
How does an interim coach impact the dynamic rolling forward in terms of roster changes?

I am afraid we might be slow to cut the dead wood and retard our progress because "The Man" is not here yet in terms of the permanent coach rolling forward.

Rolston is not going to have the authority to dictate movement the way a permanent coach with a name can.
Its only 2 months

Old
02-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post

Regier has the final say on all personnel decisions, so that's not going to change. Ruff had influence over the team, but Regier still pulled the trigger. The only difference is now it's going to be "Here's what you get, make it work" instead of the two discussing what they should do.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Daz28

Quote:
The guy has been relatively successful at every level he's coached. Where this all started was how absurd it was for you to call him a "non-legit" coach.
Ok, let's simplify this then. How many NHL(keyword) teams do you suppose currently have Ron Rolston on their radar as a legit replacement head coach right now???????

I also love your familiarity thingy. Isn't that what got us in this problem in the first place. Maybe we ought to extend Hecht, because he's "familiar" too, do ya see what I'm getting at???

We DO need to bring someone in from the outside. That's for certain.

Also, I'm not DR, so I don't get to bring in anyone. I, as a poster, can only judge the decisions he makes.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Dont mind sabrefan27, he's around to keep us all negative Nancy's.
I am in agreement with sabrefan27 , this is a head scratcher to say the least.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

I think Peca is gonna coach Rochester he's not behind the bench for the JR. sabres tonight

Old
02-20-2013, 06:47 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Ok, let's simplify this then. How many NHL(keyword) teams do you suppose currently have Ron Rolston on their radar as a legit replacement head coach right now???????

I also love your familiarity thingy. Isn't that what got us in this problem in the first place. Maybe we ought to extend Hecht, because he's "familiar" too, do ya see what I'm getting at???

We DO need to bring someone in from the outside. That's for certain.

Also, I'm not DR, so I don't get to bring in anyone. I, as a poster, can only judge the decisions he makes.
When you have one day to acclimulate yourself to a new team, 23 new guys, and a new system, yes, some familiarity is a good thing.

It's also not a familiarity with the old guard, it's a familiarity with a few of the young guys who have made steps in development under him (Hodgson, Foligno, Brennan)

You seem to be under the impression that this is a video game where a new coach can walk right in, hit a few buttons, and have the team all pull in the same direction in a brand new system.

And real big man not offering an alternative. Almost ALL teams promote from within when they fire their coach in the middle of a season. Boudreau was an exception made because he was fired a week before. Personally, I wonder if a struggling team is going to do the same thing now that Ruff is available.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Bure80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post
I'd say chances are extremely slim, even with all the Germans on the Sabres. And didn't Uwe have a bit of an issue in Germany, caused some uproar?
I agree but would be a good move by the Sabres in my opinion.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:09 PM
allsilverdreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
My fear with Rolston being promoted is that his learning curve from collegiate to the minors and now to the NHL - all in less than 2 years - will become another crutch for the team to use to write off not only this season but next year as well. Injuries were the company calling card for explaining last season's failures.

I don't want a new, inexperienced coach trying to learn the ins and outs of the NHL and 29 other teams to be the next excuse.
if he does good he just might be in it next year .if he craps the bed perhaps we land a top 5 pick in the draft.win win as long as lindy is gone

Old
02-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
I've seen Housley's name thrown around in here so .. Phil Housley on Lindy Ruff being fired as Sabres coach, his future:
Quote:
Phil Housley wasn’t contacted by the Buffalo Sabres after Lindy Ruff was fired after 16 years as coach, but the ex-NHL defenseman could emerge as a candidate somewhere this summer, if not sooner.

Housley, who coached the United States to the gold medal at the world junior championships, said being behind the bench in the NHL is his goal.

“I haven’t really pursued anything at this point,” Housley said in a phone interview Wednesday. “Sometimes you can’t just pick where you want to go. It’s the opportunity.”
Quote:
Housley is the head coach at Stillwater Area High School in Minnesota, and the world junior tournament is his most significant experience.

“I really enjoyed it,” Housley said, pointing to everything from camp to the tournament itself. “Once you have a chance to reflect, you realize what a great accomplishment that was.”

Housley hasn’t had any contact with Buffalo, the team for which he played his first eight NHL seasons. But that’s not all that surprising, he said, given that during a season most teams are enthralled with their own organizations.
Quote:
It’s possible Rolston has the same kind of success as Bylsma or Boudreau and becomes Buffalo’s coach for the long term. But it’s also possible Regier or a new general manager will be undertaking a coaching search this summer.

Undoubtedly other teams will too, and at that point Housley could become an attractive candidate for teams looking for a fresh approach.

“I wouldn’t say if an opportunity came, one way or another, what I would do,” Housley said.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:16 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post

I'm pretty sure Lindy Ruff goes to sleep in a Brian Campbell t shirt.

Lol

Old
02-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

I don't mind Rolston coming in here for the rest of the year... I think it's brilliant because I was scared James Patrick or Kevyn Adams were going to get promoted, atleast Rolston is a head coach being promoted to the big club and not an assistant coach with no HC experience being promoted as interim head coach for their first time.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I don't mind Rolston coming in here for the rest of the year... I think it's brilliant because I was scared James Patrick or Kevyn Adams were going to get promoted, atleast Rolston is a head coach being promoted to the big club and not an assistant coach with no HC experience being promoted as interim head coach for their first time.
Yeah I'm fine with it too. I would have preferred Eakins getting the nod ASAP however.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
Yeah I'm fine with it too. I would have preferred Eakins getting the nod ASAP however.
Eakins can't be looked at until after the season.

Closed Thread