HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Daz28

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Not by being interim coaches, that's for sure. They were hired as head coaches. Full stop.

Way to remove any doubt that you don't know what interim means.
Yes, for that season, the same as Rolston is, right. You tell me the differences in employment between the two situations?

All 4 guys were given the club until the end of the year, and then were re-evaluated. EXACT SAME THING.

The big shining difference was the 3 I listed had a legit shot, while Rolston hardly does. If that's what you want to define as interim, then so be it.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Not by being interim coaches, that's for sure. They were hired as head coaches. Full stop.

Way to remove any doubt that you don't know what interim means.

you could've mic dropped like 5 posts ago

Old
02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
They were available during the season and named head coach by their current teams

Who on earth is available RIGHT NOW that we could name "permanent" head coach? Most every viable option, and certainly every name that pops to my mind is tied to another organization.
Actually, the funny thing is Bylsma WAS named as interim head coach.

Want to guess what he was doing before he was hired? Coaching Pittsburgh's AHL farm team, with 0 NHL experience

Old
02-20-2013, 08:42 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Yes, for that season, the same as Rolston is, right. You tell me the differences in employment between the two situations?

All 4 guys were given the club until the end of the year, and then were re-evaluated. EXACT SAME THING.

The big shining difference was the 3 I listed had a legit shot, while Rolston hardly does. If that's what you want to define as interim, then so be it.
No, not at ALL the same as Rolston, with the exception of Bylsma, as stated above.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:

Want to guess what he was doing before he was hired? Coaching Pittsburgh's AHL farm team, with 0 NHL experience

Old
02-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Daz28

Quote:

Like I said, does it matter what label you put on him if he's going to coach the team for the rest of the season, he's the coach. Simple as that. Call him Rumplestilstskin if ya want, but they're doing the same thing.

Also, Bylsma spent a lot more time in pro hockey than you're leading on. He even had time behind an NHL bench before being an AHL coach, and time on an AHL bench before that even. Nice try though.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:53 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Like I said, does it matter what label you put on him if he's going to coach the team for the rest of the season, he's the coach. Simple as that. Call him Rumplestilstskin if ya want, but they're doing the same thing.

Also, Bylsma spent a lot more time in pro hockey than you're leading on. He even had time behind an NHL bench before being an AHL coach, and time on an AHL bench before that even. Nice try though.
Nice try? You're really going to persist with this? One year as an assistant on the Island and one year as an assistant on an AHL team before Scranton is hardly lots of experience. So I should have put "0 NHL head coaching experience and limited NHL coaching experience". Rolston has actually been coaching for a significantly longer period of time than Bylsma at the time of his break.

Again, this isn't a video game. There are contract issues with hiring and firing a guy at head coach within 3 months, reputation issues around the league, etc. Promoting an assistant or your AHL coach on an interim basis (which no matter how much you deny it, it does have meaning) is extremely common. It happens almost all of the time.

Old
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

Is anyone saying he's not the coach? I do. not. understand. your. point.

The reason it's "interim" is because they will be looking into other head coaching options this whole time he is coaching. They will not hide that. He will have competition for the job come summer time.

Old
Daz28

If you want an example of what I think the Sabres should be doing is firing up Terry's jet and cabin, and chatting up a guy like Jacques Lemaire, who should take over as soon as possible.

...but I guess you guys will all be happy peeing away this season, then scratching our heads about if we want to keep Rolston or not. Then we can say how we don't want this guy or that guy, because so and so just fired him, etc. It just honestly seems like your happy we have a coach with little pro experience(who is apparently going the same route as Bylsma so he MUST be the next Bylsma, right?>???)

Old
02-20-2013, 08:56 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
If you want an example of what I think the Sabres should be doing is firing up Terry's jet and cabin, and chatting up a guy like Jacques Lemaire, who should take over as soon as possible.

...but I guess you guys will all be happy peeing away this season, then scratching our heads about if we want to keep Rolston or not. Then we can say how we don't want this guy or that guy, because so and so just fired him, etc. It just honestly seems like your happy we have a coach with little pro experience(who is apparently going the same route as Bylsma so he MUST be the next Bylsma, right?>???)
You know they can still do that, right?

Old
02-20-2013, 08:56 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

This thread.

There is a thread for everyone. This thread is where we talk about legit interim permanent head coaches.

And we also compare them to non-legit non-interim semi-permanent head coaches.

/thread

Old
02-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Nice try? You're really going to persist with this? One year as an assistant on the Island and one year as an assistant on an AHL team before Scranton is hardly lots of experience. So I should have put "0 NHL head coaching experience and limited NHL coaching experience". Rolston has actually been coaching for a significantly longer period of time than Bylsma at the time of his break.

Again, this isn't a video game. There are contract issues with hiring and firing a guy at head coach within 3 months, reputation issues around the league, etc. Promoting an assistant or your AHL coach on an interim basis (which no matter how much you deny it, it does have meaning) is extremely common. It happens almost all of the time.
Rolston has 1 yr exp. Bylsma had 4 when he got his job. Not sure how you discredit that. Next thing I know you'll tell me Grigorenko should be as good as a 22 year old?

This situation isn't like ones that happen all the time. This was an owner making his GM fire his buddy on the drop of a hat. There's no way he lets him run a practice then cans him if it's his "decision". Like I said, I don't blame Regier for this decision, I'd just prefer he leave the door to sending Rolston back at any time wide open, and he didn't. Hell, what if someone comes a knocking, then what?

Old
02-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
You know they can still do that, right?
Yes, but they would have to take the opportunity they already gave to Rolston away to do it. The RIGHT thing to do would have been to fire up the jet BEFORE you canned the coach.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:02 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Rolston has 1 yr exp. Bylsma had 4 when he got his job. Not sure how you discredit that. Next thing I know you'll tell me Grigorenko should be as good as a 22 year old?

This situation isn't like ones that happen all the time. This was an owner making his GM fire his buddy on the drop of a hat. There's no way he lets him run a practice then cans him if it's his "decision". Like I said, I don't blame Regier for this decision, I'd just prefer he leave the door to sending Rolston back at any time wide open, and he didn't. Hell, what if someone comes a knocking, then what?
Rolston is the interim coach!

If someone comes a knocking that they love, they'll hire him and send Rolston back to Rochester. This is what interim is.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Yes, but they would have to take the opportunity they already gave to Rolston away to do it. The RIGHT thing to do would have been to fire up the jet BEFORE you canned the coach.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:04 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:

Yeah, it is. What, you think teams decide to fire their coaches and then let them coach for another couple of days just for the hell of it?

And I like how NCAA and WJC coaching means nothing, evidently.

Old
Shoey
Hello.

Stop complaining about Rolston.

If he does well he'll deserve the job full time, that's how the world works guys. If the Sabres get hot and make the playoffs they're not going to fire Rolston to bring in Eakins.

Old
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
But why? Why is that the "right" thing?

Old
02-20-2013, 09:05 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Dude, seriously, learn the meaning of the word interim. This is getting really embarrassing for you.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Rolston is the interim coach!

If someone comes a knocking that they love, they'll hire him and send Rolston back to Rochester. This is what interim is.
I hope that's right, but they'd be stepping on more toes then. As I said, DR should have left it at interim, and left out the "finishing the rest of the season"(permanent) part.

Another important Bylsma fact to take into account. He wasn't given a terd to polish. He was given a good club.

Quote:
Dude, seriously, learn the meaning of the word interim. This is getting really embarrassing for you.
How is Darcy saying he's permanent for the year, then saying interim(temporary) so hard for you to grasp?

If I say your going to be the coach for this season, how is that temporary? Your just being stubborn now.

Lemme help ya definition: 2.
a temporary or provisional arrangement; stopgap; makeshift.

in a sentence: Lindy fall down and break his bottom, James, you will be the coach until he gets back or I get sick of ya or whatever. There are no guarantees James, do you understand that?

example of not interim: Ron, your the coach for the rest of this year.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:08 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
I hope that's right, but they'd be stepping on more toes then. As I said, DR should have left it at interim, and left out the "finishing the rest of the season"(permanent) part.

Another important Bylsma fact to take into account. He wasn't given a terd to polish. He was given a good club.

How is Darcy saying he's permanent for the year, then saying interim(temporary) so hard for you to grasp?

If I say your going to be the coach for this season, how is that temporary? Your just being stubborn now.
Interim has nothing to do with whether or not he finishes the year. That's what you're not grasping.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:08 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:

Important fact. Both are interim. There is nothing permanent in what you said in your second sentence.

Another important fact, Dan Bylsma's **** does stink. Pen's fans are growing restless.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

yea, because its not like coaches get fired or relieved of duty or anything

Old
Jame
Dream '16

he really doesn't know what "permanent" means either

Old
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:

Closed Thread