HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 05:00 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

vCash: 500
Rolston is a good coach but I'd keep him with the Americans. Hire a GM and Coach from outside the organisation.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:07 AM
OcAirlines

Don't know if this has been talked about before but could Dineen be available soon and if so, do you think we would be interested?

Old
03-13-2013, 09:13 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
Don't know if this has been talked about before but could Dineen be available soon and if so, do you think we would be interested?
I don't see why he'd be let go this soon.
The Panthers overachieved last season and have fallen back down to Earth hard with some brutal luck and injuries.
They weren't supposed to be anything special though, as they mostly signed crap as filler until their kids were ready.

You never know with Fail Dale at the helm, though.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

vCash: 50
I'd love to get Dineen back.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:28 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I'd rather have a completely fresh face. Cooper and Eakins both would be seemingly great choices; they seem to be great with young players and get the most from their guys.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:39 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I'd rather have a completely fresh face. Cooper and Eakins both would be seemingly great choices; they seem to be great with young players and get the most from their guys.
That's the exact same description I'd give Dineen though, except for the fact that he isn't a fresh face as he was inherited by the organization when they took over the Pirates.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Acceptable choice IMO, but I would much rather have Eakins or Cooper.

Old
03-13-2013, 06:07 PM
JPurp26

Cooper or Dineen, or Eakins. Cooper first choice though

Old
03-13-2013, 10:24 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
apartenly their are only 2 coaches available it seems..If Darcy is here I will be very suprised if he takes an AHL coach from a different organization who he has no relationship with, I imagine it will be an assistant from a current NHL team that he has worked/played with before.

does anyone know if Brent Sutter is interested in leaving Red Deer again ?

Old
03-15-2013, 05:50 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

So we've had a bit of time to see, what are our impressions of Rolston so far?

I like what his done to the youth of this team. Not sure if it's spelling results though, still not sold on him being our full time coach. Would prefer Cooper or Eakins (please not dineen).

Old
03-22-2013, 08:31 PM
gallagt01

If Rolston can get the team to play as they did last night against the Leafs, he'll be retained.

Myers has slowly improved with each game under Rolston's tutelage. I'm interested to see how the rest of this season goes.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:01 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Eichel welcome 2 BUF

I have no desire to have Rolston inherit the title full time. How many regulation wins do we have since he became coach? 2?3?

He is overseeing the leagues worst Pp. 30th overall and no improvement in sight. Where's Ales Kotalik and his one timer doing these days I have no problem with keeping Rolston as an assistant head coach when we hire ours this year as long as Jason Patrick, Teppo, Corsi and Kevyn Adams are all sent packing.We have one of the worst coaching staffs in the league and we need a complete overhaul. I'd be pleased with Roy or even be down with everyone's favorite here, Dallas Eakins. Just want a new approach from our head coach along with a different roster.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
Patrick Roy speculation

Quote:
Put your ear to the ice and you’ll hear something coming to the NHL. Hall of Fame goaltender Patrick Roy is getting more attention each year and appears to be intent on coaching at the top level. He says he’s ready. Jeremy White asks: Could that be Darcy Regier’s big move?
http://www.wgr550.com/pages/15845059...entId=12645004

He should be near the top of the list. Rolston seems very similar to Craig Ramsay. They know the game inside and out and are great teachers. But they don't possess the leadership qualities and vision to give a team an identity.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:28 PM
TheWook

Isn't Roy the type of guy that would want to have player input on who's on the roster? Would he be able to work with Regier?

Old
03-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
http://www.wgr550.com/pages/15845059...entId=12645004

He should be near the top of the list. Rolston seems very similar to Craig Ramsay. They know the game inside and out and are great teachers. But they don't possess the leadership qualities and vision to give a team an identity.
Hiring Roy seems like a "Pegula splash" kind of move, so I could see it happening. I wouldn't mind all that much, either. Having Roy here would be entertaining and I'd be interested to see what he's capable of.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I have no desire to have Rolston inherit the title full time. How many regulation wins do we have since he became coach? 2?3?

He is overseeing the leagues worst Pp. 30th overall and no improvement in sight. Where's Ales Kotalik and his one timer doing these days I have no problem with keeping Rolston as an assistant head coach when we hire ours this year as long as Jason Patrick, Teppo, Corsi and Kevyn Adams are all sent packing.We have one of the worst coaching staffs in the league and we need a complete overhaul. I'd be pleased with Roy or even be down with everyone's favorite here, Dallas Eakins. Just want a new approach from our head coach along with a different roster.
Ya I can't believe Rolston has completely eliminated every fault that these players picked up under Lindy. Absolutely incredible he doesn't have more wins. BB in Ana won every game he coached last season. O wait they still limped home after he got there and it wasn't till he had a full off season that they started winning? Ya about that.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:11 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Eichel welcome 2 BUF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Ya I can't believe Rolston has completely eliminated every fault that these players picked up under Lindy. Absolutely incredible he doesn't have more wins. BB in Ana won every game he coached last season. O wait they still limped home after he got there and it wasn't till he had a full off season that they started winning? Ya about that.
Boudreau finished with a .534 win pct last year.Not that good but not too bad. He also had one of the highest win pcts in NHL history with the Caps and was also one of the quickest to 100 wins.Rolston is a first time NHL coach and has 6 wins and 8 losses. Not really that comparable. Haven't been impressed with Rolston. He's an interim head coach and he's doing ok but I want someone with more potential and someone outside of the org. Too much of the Same.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Boudreau finished with a .534 win pct last year.Not that good but not too bad. He also had one of the highest win pcts in NHL history with the Caps and was also one of the quickest to 100 wins.Rolston is a first time NHL coach and has 6 wins and 8 losses. Not really that comparable. Haven't been impressed with Rolston. He's an interim head coach and he's doing ok but I want someone with more potential and someone outside of the org. Too much of the Same.
And yet the most important factor being I'VE SEEN 15 GAMES HE BLOWS. Hey whatever helps you sleep at night.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:50 AM
BCS

Quote:
I'VE SEEN 15 GAMES HE BLOWS.
That isn't what he said. His points are pretty valid and you're combating him with a straw man argument. Rolston's OK as an interim, but the Sabres can/should do better in the offseason.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:05 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
That isn't what he said. His points are pretty valid and you're combating him with a straw man argument. Rolston's OK as an interim, but the Sabres can/should do better in the offseason.
That's exactly what he's saying.

15 games isn't nearly enough to evaluate the effect a brand new coach has on a team.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:25 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
That's exactly what he's saying.

15 games isn't nearly enough to evaluate the effect a brand new coach has on a team.
Thank you. If you are looking at Rolie based only on the 15 games theyve played then all you are evaluating is how he handled the garbage. Right now I'd say he's halfway to the curb. What's he gonna do when he makes it back to the kitchen? I don't know, odds are the same things Eakins Cooper or Roy would do, work their systems and philosophy into the off season and start fresh next year.

As DR I ask myself about Rolston;
Is the team prepared for games?
Does he have control during team events? (games, practice, press, training)
Has the teams mental outlook improved?
Is consistency returning?
Does he encourage players to step up and lead or ask them to follow him?

If you can answer yes then he deserves to be in the discussion with several other candidates.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
Ya his points are valid until you realize that at their core they all rely on a 15 game sample size.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:38 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Ya his points are valid until you realize that at their core they all rely on a 15 game sample size.
To add to your point, I think more than a few posters felt just the act of removing Ruff would instantly have this team start playing well. When that didn't happen they soured on Rolston. It generally doesn't work that way. Most situations like ours take some time to correct. Rolston seems to have them going in the right direction but there is still a ways to go.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:11 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Anyone nervous that there are two "open" positions now? Looks like we have some competition...

Old
03-24-2013, 09:15 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Anyone nervous that there are two "open" positions now? Looks like we have some competition...
I am, but mainly because TB's affiliate is Coopers team and he is one of my top two choices. I think we are safe though as we called dibs.

There is a Ruff / Yzerman connection from team Canada so he could be a possible fit there.

Closed Thread