HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 09:46 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

vCash: 500
Yup. Cooper going to be named coach, and be kept there. Unlike "interim" Rolston.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:04 AM
JPurp26

I hope they do not steal Cooper. I wonder if Boucher now gets an interview with us. Stevie definitively has a connection with Lindy though.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:09 AM
McTank

I'd be cool with guy or cooper

Old
03-24-2013, 10:12 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I have no desire to have Rolston inherit the title full time. How many regulation wins do we have since he became coach? 2?3?

He is overseeing the leagues worst Pp. 30th overall and no improvement in sight.
Really? No improvement in sight? Hasn't the PP scored 1 or more times in each of the last 3 games?

Old
03-24-2013, 10:14 AM
JPurp26

Imagine them hiring Lindy, than him bringing in Miller through trade. We can finally get something for him instead of letting him walk next summer. I like Boucher. His teams were always exciting to watch. I still am on the Cooper bandwagon

Old
03-24-2013, 10:35 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Guy Boucher please, hire him today.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:26 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Imagine them hiring Lindy, than him bringing in Miller through trade. We can finally get something for him instead of letting him walk next summer. I like Boucher. His teams were always exciting to watch. I still am on the Cooper bandwagon
Exciting except when you play Philadelphia.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:43 AM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Exciting except when you play Philadelphia.
Or watch Milbury's intermission report of that haha

Old
03-24-2013, 11:45 AM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Guy Boucher would be on my short list of possible coaches, he has also worked with the likes of Ennis, Hodgson and Myers before at the World Juniors.

He is EXTREMLY high on Tyler Myers and believes he can be one of the best defenders in the game.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:00 PM
joshjull

I'm not that enthused about the idea of Boucher. He caught lightning in a bottle his first season and his teams have been meh then bad the next two seasons.

Although maybe we can have a game were a team doesn't bring the puck out while we sit back in an incredibly passive defensive stance to start the game.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:03 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Is it Guy's fault he's had about 40 games of competent goaltending in his three seasons there?

I don't really have an opinion on him either way, though.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:05 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm not that enthused about the idea of Boucher. He caught lightning in a bottle his first season and his teams have been meh then bad the next two seasons.
he has also had **** goaltending and brutal defence for the majority of 3 years.

Garon played nearly 50 games last year, he is a he is a below average to average back up on basically any other team.

His defence was MAB, Hedman, Brewer, Lee, Clarke, Gervais Commodore ect..you won't win many games with a blueline like that. No coach will unless you have a very good goalie.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:09 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Is it Guy's fault he's had about 40 games of competent goaltending in his three seasons there?

I don't really have an opinion on him either way, though.
Maybe. He did have Mike Smith and got crappy play from him leading to Smith leaving after Boucher's first year.

And Dan Ellis who has had solid numbers every where but Tampa.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:13 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Maybe. He did have Mike Smith and got crappy play from him leading to Smith leaving after Boucher's first year.
The Mike Smith that couldn't stay healthy and cleared waivers while being on Tampa? the guy who has a career save percentage around 900 and a GAA around 2.8. Besides last year Smith has been quite poor.

come on, Dan Ellis has been a career back up who plays 20-30 games most years

He never had a guy you would consider a quality starter in 3 years, and when he did for a short stint he made the conference finals

Old
03-24-2013, 12:22 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:

And Dan Ellis who has had solid numbers every where but Tampa.
Meh. Smith was injured an inconsistent for his entire pre-Coyotes career and it's a huge stretch to say Ellis has good career numbers. He had that one good half-season in Nashville in 08 but lost his starting job to Rinne the next year. He came to Tampa to compete for their starting vacancy, but neither he nor Smith were very good, and they ended up trading for Roloson. He hasn't started anywhere since, not even when Anaheim lost Hiller for the season.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:41 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

So why exactly was he fired? Has to be the fall man for Stevie Y's inability to have quality goaltending?

Old
03-24-2013, 12:53 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Or...WORST CASE SCENARIO --->

Ruff is head coach and Cooper is the assistant!

ahhahahahaaha that would be a total Tampa Bay troll of the Sabres

Old
03-24-2013, 12:54 PM
McTank

I'd love boucher if we can remodel are defense core. My dream defense for opening day.
Myers-Vlasic
Ehrhoff-Smid
Sekera-Weber

Miller

Old
03-24-2013, 12:55 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
The Mike Smith that couldn't stay healthy and cleared waivers while being on Tampa? the guy who has a career save percentage around 900 and a GAA around 2.8. Besides last year Smith has been quite poor.

come on, Dan Ellis has been a career back up who plays 20-30 games most years

He never had a guy you would consider a quality starter in 3 years, and when he did for a short stint he made the conference finals
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Meh. Smith was injured an inconsistent for his entire pre-Coyotes career and it's a huge stretch to say Ellis has good career numbers. He had that one good half-season in Nashville in 08 but lost his starting job to Rinne the next year. He came to Tampa to compete for their starting vacancy, but neither he nor Smith were very good, and they ended up trading for Roloson. He hasn't started anywhere since, not even when Anaheim lost Hiller for the season.
Fair points on the goaltenders.

Boucher implements a simplistic defensive set up (1-3-1 trap). It relies on a counter attack to produce offense and with the horses he has up front he gets away with it. But his system was been broken down by other coaches after his first year. The Flyers even mocked it by not leaving their zone early last year.

Thats a big reason why Tampa can't win. That and their special teams have dropped off from where they were his first season.

Could his system be more effective with a strong goalie and a better d-corp? Possibly

Old
03-24-2013, 01:20 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I'd love boucher if we can remodel are defense core. My dream defense for opening day.
Myers-Vlasic
Ehrhoff-Smid
Sekera-Weber

Miller
you love Vlasic haha, I have not watched enough of the Sharks to accurately write about him although his play drops off from earlier in his career. I assume you would want him to play the left side with Myers since he is a left.
Smid is also a lefty so our only R handed dmen would be Myers.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:29 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
you love Vlasic haha, I have not watched enough of the Sharks to accurately write about him although his play drops off from earlier in his career. I assume you would want him to play the left side with Myers since he is a left.
Smid is also a lefty so our only R handed dmen would be Myers.
Hahah I just see him as a great fit, I would take hjarmarlsson instead too and be happy

Old
03-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Welp, throw Dave Tippett's hat in the ring if he decides to leave PHX after this season. Friedman noted in his 30 thoughts column today that Tippett and Maloney don't have contracts beyond this year, and want to know more about the future of the organization before making a decision:

Quote:

11. Another coaching/management decision being watched closely is in Phoenix, where Maloney, head coach Dave Tippett and their staffs are unsigned after this season. It's believed the league was more than willing to extend them, but they want to know the future of the organization before committing.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...e-rumours.html

Old
03-25-2013, 10:41 AM
"Craigs on it"

Tippet would be a terrible fit on a team that is going to be carried with young players. Not someone I want with a young developing team.

He is a very good coach with a team that is close to winning and has a veteran core.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:50 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

http://sabrenoise.com/2013/03/24/the...olston-effect/

Interesting article on Rolstons time here so far. If we chose to keep him I wouldn't complain too much, but would prefer someone like Cooper/Eakins/other names mentioned here. Win/win in my eyes.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Myers-Vlasic
Ehrhoff-Smid
Sekera-Weber

Miller
I don't see us getting Vlasic at all. He has been the Sharks best D man this year and i don't see them trading him. Smid would be a decent shout though.

I would be ok with Guy, Cooper or Eakins.

Closed Thread