HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2013, 09:46 AM
  #526
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,933
vCash: 500
Yup. Cooper going to be named coach, and be kept there. Unlike "interim" Rolston.

TakeThatTootoo is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:04 AM
  #527
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,556
vCash: 500
I hope they do not steal Cooper. I wonder if Boucher now gets an interview with us. Stevie definitively has a connection with Lindy though.

JPurp26 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:09 AM
  #528
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,888
vCash: 500
I'd be cool with guy or cooper

McTank is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:12 AM
  #529
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I have no desire to have Rolston inherit the title full time. How many regulation wins do we have since he became coach? 2?3?

He is overseeing the leagues worst Pp. 30th overall and no improvement in sight.
Really? No improvement in sight? Hasn't the PP scored 1 or more times in each of the last 3 games?

McTank is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:14 AM
  #530
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,556
vCash: 500
Imagine them hiring Lindy, than him bringing in Miller through trade. We can finally get something for him instead of letting him walk next summer. I like Boucher. His teams were always exciting to watch. I still am on the Cooper bandwagon

JPurp26 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:35 AM
  #531
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!
 
SabresAreScaryGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,608
vCash: 500
Guy Boucher please, hire him today.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 11:26 AM
  #532
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Imagine them hiring Lindy, than him bringing in Miller through trade. We can finally get something for him instead of letting him walk next summer. I like Boucher. His teams were always exciting to watch. I still am on the Cooper bandwagon
Exciting except when you play Philadelphia.

TakeThatTootoo is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 11:43 AM
  #533
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Exciting except when you play Philadelphia.
Or watch Milbury's intermission report of that haha

JPurp26 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 11:45 AM
  #534
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,213
vCash: 50
Guy Boucher would be on my short list of possible coaches, he has also worked with the likes of Ennis, Hodgson and Myers before at the World Juniors.

He is EXTREMLY high on Tyler Myers and believes he can be one of the best defenders in the game.

1972 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 12:00 PM
  #535
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 36,839
vCash: 500
I'm not that enthused about the idea of Boucher. He caught lightning in a bottle his first season and his teams have been meh then bad the next two seasons.

Although maybe we can have a game were a team doesn't bring the puck out while we sit back in an incredibly passive defensive stance to start the game.

joshjull is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 12:03 PM
  #536
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 11,555
vCash: 500
Is it Guy's fault he's had about 40 games of competent goaltending in his three seasons there?

I don't really have an opinion on him either way, though.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 12:05 PM
  #537
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,213
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm not that enthused about the idea of Boucher. He caught lightning in a bottle his first season and his teams have been meh then bad the next two seasons.
he has also had **** goaltending and brutal defence for the majority of 3 years.

Garon played nearly 50 games last year, he is a he is a below average to average back up on basically any other team.

His defence was MAB, Hedman, Brewer, Lee, Clarke, Gervais Commodore ect..you won't win many games with a blueline like that. No coach will unless you have a very good goalie.

1972 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 12:09 PM
  #538
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 36,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Is it Guy's fault he's had about 40 games of competent goaltending in his three seasons there?

I don't really have an opinion on him either way, though.
Maybe. He did have Mike Smith and got crappy play from him leading to Smith leaving after Boucher's first year.

And Dan Ellis who has had solid numbers every where but Tampa.

joshjull is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 12:13 PM
  #539
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,213
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Maybe. He did have Mike Smith and got crappy play from him leading to Smith leaving after Boucher's first year.
The Mike Smith that couldn't stay healthy and cleared waivers while being on Tampa? the guy who has a career save percentage around 900 and a GAA around 2.8. Besides last year Smith has been quite poor.

come on, Dan Ellis has been a career back up who plays 20-30 games most years

He never had a guy you would consider a quality starter in 3 years, and when he did for a short stint he made the conference finals

1972 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 12:22 PM
  #540
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 11,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Maybe. He did have Mike Smith and got crappy play from him leading to Smith leaving after Boucher's first year.

And Dan Ellis who has had solid numbers every where but Tampa.
Meh. Smith was injured an inconsistent for his entire pre-Coyotes career and it's a huge stretch to say Ellis has good career numbers. He had that one good half-season in Nashville in 08 but lost his starting job to Rinne the next year. He came to Tampa to compete for their starting vacancy, but neither he nor Smith were very good, and they ended up trading for Roloson. He hasn't started anywhere since, not even when Anaheim lost Hiller for the season.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 12:41 PM
  #541
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,933
vCash: 500
So why exactly was he fired? Has to be the fall man for Stevie Y's inability to have quality goaltending?

TakeThatTootoo is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 12:53 PM
  #542
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,933
vCash: 500
Or...WORST CASE SCENARIO --->

Ruff is head coach and Cooper is the assistant!

ahhahahahaaha that would be a total Tampa Bay troll of the Sabres

TakeThatTootoo is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 12:54 PM
  #543
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,888
vCash: 500
I'd love boucher if we can remodel are defense core. My dream defense for opening day.
Myers-Vlasic
Ehrhoff-Smid
Sekera-Weber

Miller

McTank is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 12:55 PM
  #544
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 36,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
The Mike Smith that couldn't stay healthy and cleared waivers while being on Tampa? the guy who has a career save percentage around 900 and a GAA around 2.8. Besides last year Smith has been quite poor.

come on, Dan Ellis has been a career back up who plays 20-30 games most years

He never had a guy you would consider a quality starter in 3 years, and when he did for a short stint he made the conference finals
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Meh. Smith was injured an inconsistent for his entire pre-Coyotes career and it's a huge stretch to say Ellis has good career numbers. He had that one good half-season in Nashville in 08 but lost his starting job to Rinne the next year. He came to Tampa to compete for their starting vacancy, but neither he nor Smith were very good, and they ended up trading for Roloson. He hasn't started anywhere since, not even when Anaheim lost Hiller for the season.
Fair points on the goaltenders.

Boucher implements a simplistic defensive set up (1-3-1 trap). It relies on a counter attack to produce offense and with the horses he has up front he gets away with it. But his system was been broken down by other coaches after his first year. The Flyers even mocked it by not leaving their zone early last year.

Thats a big reason why Tampa can't win. That and their special teams have dropped off from where they were his first season.

Could his system be more effective with a strong goalie and a better d-corp? Possibly

joshjull is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 01:20 PM
  #545
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I'd love boucher if we can remodel are defense core. My dream defense for opening day.
Myers-Vlasic
Ehrhoff-Smid
Sekera-Weber

Miller
you love Vlasic haha, I have not watched enough of the Sharks to accurately write about him although his play drops off from earlier in his career. I assume you would want him to play the left side with Myers since he is a left.
Smid is also a lefty so our only R handed dmen would be Myers.

JPurp26 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 01:29 PM
  #546
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
you love Vlasic haha, I have not watched enough of the Sharks to accurately write about him although his play drops off from earlier in his career. I assume you would want him to play the left side with Myers since he is a left.
Smid is also a lefty so our only R handed dmen would be Myers.
Hahah I just see him as a great fit, I would take hjarmarlsson instead too and be happy

McTank is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 09:53 AM
  #547
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,715
vCash: 67
Welp, throw Dave Tippett's hat in the ring if he decides to leave PHX after this season. Friedman noted in his 30 thoughts column today that Tippett and Maloney don't have contracts beyond this year, and want to know more about the future of the organization before making a decision:

Quote:

11. Another coaching/management decision being watched closely is in Phoenix, where Maloney, head coach Dave Tippett and their staffs are unsigned after this season. It's believed the league was more than willing to extend them, but they want to know the future of the organization before committing.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...e-rumours.html

Zip15 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:41 AM
  #548
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,213
vCash: 50
Tippet would be a terrible fit on a team that is going to be carried with young players. Not someone I want with a young developing team.

He is a very good coach with a team that is close to winning and has a veteran core.

1972 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:50 AM
  #549
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful
 
RazielMoshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kent, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 845
vCash: 500
http://sabrenoise.com/2013/03/24/the...olston-effect/

Interesting article on Rolstons time here so far. If we chose to keep him I wouldn't complain too much, but would prefer someone like Cooper/Eakins/other names mentioned here. Win/win in my eyes.

RazielMoshman is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:00 AM
  #550
Sabres Fan UK
eh?
 
Sabres Fan UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newcastle, England.
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I'd love boucher if we can remodel are defense core. My dream defense for opening day.
Myers-Vlasic
Ehrhoff-Smid
Sekera-Weber

Miller
I don't see us getting Vlasic at all. He has been the Sharks best D man this year and i don't see them trading him. Smid would be a decent shout though.

I would be ok with Guy, Cooper or Eakins.

Sabres Fan UK is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.