HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 04:22 PM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
He's what we asked for at the beginning of the season: an up and comer with a different attitude and a willingness to commit himself to the improvement of players in development.

Still ... Not sold yet. I don't know how to explain it
I'm with you on this. I'd still like to see Eakins as our next HC. He's had more success in the AHL than RR and looks like he does a terrific job with young players.

I may end up being OK with Rolston though, depending on how the season ends. As far as I'm concerned, we need to be looking at what makes us the best team a few years down the road. I'm taking a long-term approach here. So if he gets Foligno, Myers, and the other young guys playing well for him by the season's end, and making steps in the right direction, I'll be pretty happy.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Royisgone

Did anyone listen to Rolston's post-game press conference tonight game?

His attitude and comments were interesting. He expressed a certain amount of bewilderment and resignation regarding the team's lack of "compete".

He sounded like a man who either knows he won't be the head coach next year anyway, or if he is, half the team will be gone by then, so there isn't much point in discussing details about this current bunch in this lost season anyway.

It's in the audio vault at WGR55.com.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:40 AM
schpaff

He reminds me of Darcy and that is enough for me to not want him full time.

Last edited by schpaff: 03-27-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: word
Old
03-27-2013, 12:42 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post

His attitude and comments were interesting. He expressed a certain amount of bewilderment and resignation regarding the team's lack of "compete".

He sounded like a man who either knows he won't be the head coach next year anyway, or if he is, half the team will be gone by then, so there isn't much point in discussing details about this current bunch in this lost season anyway.

Mind elaborating? I have a few mins til I'm by the comp and not on iPhone so id love any form of transcribing the comments if possible.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:51 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Mind elaborating? I have a few mins til I'm by the comp and not on iPhone so id love any form of transcribing the comments if possible.
This was literally the whole press conference:
- "There wasn't a lot of urgency in anything tonight".
- Asked about players having no answers for the lack of urgency, "can't help you on that one".
- "How can they play three games like they did and come out so flat?" "Good question. I don't have an answer to it."
- "What do you do now?" "Get ready for the next game."
- "How do you break the team out of this mold?" "Good question. Something we're still working through."
- Gave a Vanek update, "upper body, we'll see where he's at tomorrow".
- On Foligno, "he's a tough kid and he tried to get things going, but nothing was going".

And that was all two minutes of it.
His answers were short and to the point and he didn't sound like he cared much at this point.

Last edited by jfb392: 03-27-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old
03-27-2013, 01:05 AM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
- Asked about players having no answers for the lack of urgency, "can't help you on that one".
- "How can they play three games like they did and come out so flat?" "Good question. I don't have an answer to it."
- "How do you break the team out of this mold?" "Good question. Something we're still working through."
- On Foligno, "he's a tough kid and he tried to get things going, but nothing was going".

His answers were short and too the point and he didn't sound like he cared much at this point.
Only took the team two weeks to break him. New record!

Old
03-27-2013, 01:06 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

His answers were short and too the point and he didn't sound like he cared much at this point.
Was this him "being pissed" at his team? Or is this nonchalance to symbolize that he has checked out and knows he's not coming back, either due to the team performance under him or another factor?

Hoping it's the former, because that'd be a ****-poor attitude to carry.

I feel bad for him in a sense. He gets a shot in the NHL, after working his way up, and this ******* **** lackluster passionless ****** **** rag of a team is the one he has to work with. There's not a coach in the world that can make good out of this team if they lack in the "effort" or "giving a ****" departments, and he's not going to be retained and likely not given the job back in Rochester. It sucks for him.

Hoping that, if we don't retain him and he doesn't regain status as the Amerks head man (which I don't think he will, as I can't recall that ever happening?)...he becomes an assistant somewhere else in the league and somewhere down the road gets another shot.

Like I said...he isn't doing it for me as of right now, but I can't automatically equate that to him being a bad head coach in this league. This team is an awful team to get your first shot with, and likely isn't a reflection of one's capabilities as a bench boss IMO

Old
03-27-2013, 01:06 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Only took the team two weeks to break him. New record!
I really, really feel bad. I do.

Hoping this is just him being pissed and not a mental checkout

Old
03-27-2013, 07:40 AM
DixonWard15

He sounded like a defeated man, he has a team that won't play hard. So he is doing the things that coaches do to try and motivate, those aren't working. So for the first time in his career the coach can't threaten every player's ice time or hold up the golden carrot of playing at the next level. They are stuck in the **** and he doesn't sound too happy to be stuck with them.

Last edited by DixonWard15: 03-27-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old
03-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post

He sounds frustrated to me.

03-27-2013, 08:30 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Can't blame the guy at all. He's obviously frustrated that nothing sticks with these guys. He can teach and coach poor play all he wants, but they won't stick to anything for more than a game or two.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:54 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I said this in the GBU (really just the U), but seriously, how can Rolston make such generally positive decisions relative to effort and production and still play Jason Pominville on the point on the power play?

Old
03-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I said this in the GBU (really just the U), but seriously, how can Rolston make such generally positive decisions relative to effort and production and still play Jason Pominville on the point on the power play?
I think some of the non-changes just comes down to the fact you can only change so much so quickly. If he changed everything he wanted to right off the bat, the team would probably be in even worse shape from confusion.

On second thought...

CHANGE EVERYTHING RON!

Old
03-27-2013, 11:01 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I think some of the non-changes just comes down to the fact you can only change so much so quickly. If he changed everything he wanted to right off the bat, the team would probably be in even worse shape from confusion.

On second thought...

CHANGE EVERYTHING RON!
Seems like an accurate assessment. He seems to be a pretty methodological guy, and looks like he's trying to change one thing at a time. Of course, he also seems to be running into the same problem Lindy did: every step forward is followed by a step back.

Either this roster still has too many so-called "mental midgets" on it, or it's just not talented enough, or both.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:12 AM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Seems like an accurate assessment. He seems to be a pretty methodological guy, and looks like he's trying to change one thing at a time. Of course, he also seems to be running into the same problem Lindy did: every step forward is followed by a step back.

Either this roster still has too many so-called "mental midgets" on it, or it's just not talented enough, or both.
Its simple....its not talented enough and this coach or any coach can not get blood out of a this stone.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:02 PM
FanboySlayer*

Just pathetic that Darcy Regier will survive, first Ruff and now Rolston - these bunch of heartless talentless overpaid *****es wouldn't play hard for any coach, Toe Blake, Punch Imlach, Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour and any other legend you can name included.

Pegula's a chump, Ted Black is a lackey - the franchise on the ice is worse now than when they took over.

Becoming the interim coach of the Buffalo Sabres was the worst thing that could have happened to Ron Rolston's career. He was going to get his shot eventually in the NHL, the stink of this Sabres team is on him now and he'll have a hard time making it back up to the NHL as a head coach.

I've never hated a hockey team as much as this one.

I can't believe Regier has any chance of hanging on here but I know the way Pegula operates now and I fear Regier remains in place.

I want one of Brian Burke, Rick Dudley or Patrick Roy.

Gimme Burke and Roy as GM/Coach combo - you'll see fireworks, this franchise needs a nuclear bomb but I'll settle for fireworks. The status quo has to go.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:08 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
Just pathetic that Darcy Regier will survive, first Ruff and now Rolston - these bunch of heartless talentless overpaid *****es wouldn't play hard for any coach, Toe Blake, Punch Imlach, Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour and any other legend you can name included.

Pegula's a chump, Ted Black is a lackey - the franchise on the ice is worse now than when they took over.

Becoming the interim coach of the Buffalo Sabres was the worst thing that could have happened to Ron Rolston's career. He was going to get his shot eventually in the NHL, the stink of this Sabres team is on him now and he'll have a hard time making it back up to the NHL as a head coach.

I've never hated a hockey team as much as this one.

I can't believe Regier has any chance of hanging on here but I know the way Pegula operates now and I fear Regier remains in place.

I want one of Brian Burke, Rick Dudley or Patrick Roy.

Gimme Burke and Roy as GM/Coach combo - you'll see fireworks, this franchise needs a nuclear bomb but I'll settle for fireworks. The status quo has to go.
Oh please wise one .... Explain in great detail how Pegula is a chump and Black is a Lackey. Oh, and then explain how you know Regier will be here in October. Educate the masses.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
FanboySlayer*

As an NHL franchise owner he's a chump so far, it's all about wins and losses and playoff success and ultimately a Stanley Cup - he's got a hat full of nothing and the team has regressed under his ownership.

Regier received a contract extension, Pegula had no reason to do that, nobody in the NHL was sniffing around Darcy Regier. So I deduce that Pegula thought Regier was doing a damn fine job and I fear Pegula will view this bastardized anomaly of an NHL season as a mulligan for Regier.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
As an NHL franchise owner he's a chump so far, it's all about wins and losses and playoff success and ultimately a Stanley Cup - he's got a hat full of nothing and the team has regressed under his ownership.

Regier received a contract extension, Pegula had no reason to do that, nobody in the NHL was sniffing around Darcy Regier. So I deduce that Pegula thought Regier was doing a damn fine job and I fear Pegula will view this bastardized anomaly of an NHL season as a mulligan for Regier.
Kind of like how it was a mulligan for Ruff?

Old
03-27-2013, 01:19 PM
FanboySlayer*

Quote:
Kind of like how it was a mulligan for Ruff?
Coaches always are given less rope than GM's - even Lindy Ruff, Regier outlasted him. A GM will always fire at least one coach, usually more, before they are fired themselves.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:31 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
Its simple....its not talented enough and this coach or any coach can not get blood out of a this stone.
Bad coaching decisions are still bad coaching decisions. Unless you really, really, really, really overrate Pominville's playmaking abilities, he has none of the attributes of a point player. That's not rocking the boat, it's putting players in situations where they have the greatest chance for success.

Similarly, and I know he played poorly last night, but who does Hodgson need to outplay to earn some time on the #1 unit?

Old
03-27-2013, 02:23 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Bad coaching decisions are still bad coaching decisions. Unless you really, really, really, really overrate Pominville's playmaking abilities, he has none of the attributes of a point player. That's not rocking the boat, it's putting players in situations where they have the greatest chance for success.

Similarly, and I know he played poorly last night, but who does Hodgson need to outplay to earn some time on the #1 unit?
Steve Ott?

Old
03-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Daz28

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Steve Ott?
The worst part is most of us agree that CoHo needs work on his defensive play, so any sane coach would give him more minutes on the PP, and give Otter more minutes 5 on 5 or PK because he's hard to play against.

Bottom line, our PP is the same garbage PP it has been. As Obama says, we need CHANGE.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 666
Awards:
Quote:
I really, really feel bad. I do.

Hoping this is just him being pissed and not a mental checkout
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He sounds frustrated to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Can't blame the guy at all. He's obviously frustrated that nothing sticks with these guys. He can teach and coach poor play all he wants, but they won't stick to anything for more than a game or two.
Rolston sounded frustrated to me too. Hoppe nailed it when he compared it Tortorella's post-game a few weeks ago, with him asking the media if his players had any answers.
Quote:
Offensively, there wasn’t a lot of urgency. “There wasn’t a lot of urgency in anything tonight.”

Why? “That’s a good question? Did you ask the players? What’d they say?”

Rolston was informed they had no answers. “Well I don’t, either. Can’t help you on that one.”

Old
03-27-2013, 11:45 PM
sand1138man

Well, I was scrolling through and reading peoples opinions and looking for at least one person in these 11 pages to say they want rolston to get another shot next year, and when i got to page 4 I just assumed that I was not going to see that. Honestly when rolston came in, I would have had so so so much more respect for him if he made some serious changes, but he left EVERYTHING the same, from the lines, to the power play groupings, to to shoot out shooters, to the "bench for one game when you aren't playing well and immendiately put you right back in", keeping the same captain, the same speeches, the same attitude that was not working. We got rid of lindy ruff and hired lindy ruff. If you get hired as the coach of a team that is DEAD last in powerplay in the league, wouldn't you think to yourself "if i make a few changes to my powerplay personell and it improves, then thats a good way to make it look like I know what I am doing", but no...he just kept the same guy (pominville) on the point after he's proven all he does is make bad passes and cause 2 on 1's in the opposite direction. He was handed a situation where there was no where to go but up with the powerplay, and he went down.
I mean what the h*ll do you have to lose at this point by putting in some young fresh blood to try and rack up some points? But nope, he did nothing. If he would have made changes, and they would have not worked, I would at least feel like he he is willing to change it up until he finds a working combination, but he has shown that he is ok with being the worst, and does not even seem to get upset about it. When his players get cheap shotted with no penaltys or fines, he doesn't get angry or peak out about it, he just dodges questions, writes in his note pad during the game and talks about having better angles on passes and better skating technique, better ways to tie you laces, and tape up your stick, and if theres a minutes or 2 left in practice maybe go over some shot bloocking, when Miller has made it OBVIOUS he does not like to be screened.

I dont care who the coach is next year as long as he is the oppositeof ron rolston. characteristics im looking for is....
passion
motivation for himself
motivating to his player
willing to make changes
not putting up cherry pickers and players who take off shifts
forthcoming with fans and media about player injury status
not afraid to use the back up goalie
not afraid to strip a letter
have an offfensive system in place that doesn't depend on your goalie having to stop 48 shots per game to win
let your players use there strenghts and play wing if they are a wing, and center if they are a center
admit when hes wrong and correct it
call players out who aren't working the way they should
defend his players when they are cheap shotted
doesn't carry a pen and pad during the game and say "well gee we will have to discuss this before next game"
not afraid to pull a goalie for letting in a stinking, even if it's just 2 goals, be able to recognize who is struggling and dish out ice time based on that.
be able to make in game changes to adapt to the situation.
have a system that does not automatically fall everyone back into their onwn zone when they have a lead
demands a higher pace to the game
awards good plays and punishes bad
does not fall in love with players who happen to have 1 good week in the nhl
have multiple systems for multiple situations during the game, and even during game planning during different positions in the standings.
DEMANDS intensity,
punishes 6ft8inch weak defenders who never use their body
makes players accountable to eachother
hires smart assistants and delegates tasks
gives GM input on what he thinks we will need in order to help with whatever system we are needing for our situation
doesn't count his chickens

you know just a few qualityies I think a coach should have

Closed Thread