HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Eakins should be on the radar.....

Patrick Roy was on the short list of coaching candidates out there even before drafting Grigs. Grigs has nothing to do with it.

Other people I would want to consider:

Randy Cunneyworth---he derserves a fair shot as a head coach. He got railroaded in Montreal.

Craig Ramsey

Phil Housley

i would also look at a few former NHLers who are assistants now.
Roy and Housley are interesting "younger voices" - although I'd take Roy's proven success as a player over Housley's.

Quote:
They also need to bring in Scott Arneil--the team had great special teams when he was that asistant coach.
Here we go again with the myth-building of Arniel as some PP guru. Everyone remembers the 2005-06 season the Sabres had a great power play (# 3) with him as an assistant and forget about the other 2 seasons Arniel was in charge of the PP and it finished 20th (2002-03) and 18th (2003-04). The high finish post-lockout had more to do with Briere/Drury and a higher skill level on the roster than any special strategies Arniel invented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Bumping this thread to talk more about Tom Renney.

An interesting namedrop by Jame. Someone who fits my mold of having prior experience with young rosters. My issue is that he hasn't been unquestionably successful with said type of roster.

What about John Stevens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
As you mentioned, Renney wasn't successful with the young Oilers roster and after looking at some of the Rangers teams he coached, not sure if he could be considered as working with youngsters. He had guys like Jagr, Straka on those teams but never made it past the second round. Rangers are one of the more active free agent / trade deadline teams so their inability to progress can't be blamed on the roster.
FWIW, some feedback from Renney's time in Edmonton:

Quote:
Renney is a career coach and a good one, with a reputation as a strong technical coach and solid teacher. When he was let go by the Oilers, the majority of fans felt the team had done him wrong.
Quote:
Hockey’s best coach, Scotty Bowman, once said the most important job of the coach is to get the right players on the ice. Renney generally did just fine by that standard.

He shielded young players like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sam Gagner and Jordan Eberle from tough competition and/or tough assignments as much as he could.

He maybe used Eric Belanger, Tom Gilbert and Ryan Whitney a shade too much on the power play, but it’s not like he had Justin Schultz to slot in there. Corey Potter was somewhat under-utilized, but this is a quibble. The top power play unit of Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, Eberle, Shawn Horcoff and Potter got the most ice and also got great results.

On defence, he maybe overplayed Ryan Whitney a bit at even strength, but it’s worth nothing that Whitney came on stronger at the end of the year. His coach’s faith in him paid off a bit.

Renney’s main fault was to overplay Nikolai Khabibulin in net.
Quote:
The Oilers’ special teams shot up. The power play went from a 14.8-per-cent success rate and 27th place to a 20.6-per-cent success rate and third overall ranking. On the penalty kill, the Oilers went from a 77-per-cent clearance rate and a 29th ranking, to a 82.4-per-cent rate and a 14th ranking.

The team’s scoring chance numbers also improved. In 2010-11, the Oilers were out chanced 19.1 to 14.8 per game. This year, it was just 18.4 to 15.7 per game.

Much more was going right than wrong under his direction.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...monton-oilers/

Old
04-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Roy and Housley are interesting "younger voices" - although I'd take Roy's proven success as a player over Housley's.
Player success has no direct correlation to coaching success.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:47 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Player success has no direct correlation to coaching success.
I don't want Housely as a coach.

Craig Ramsay is likely not the answer as HC. He's had his chances, and seems more suitable as an assistant.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
I don't want Housely as a coach.

Craig Ramsay is likely not the answer as HC. He's had his chances, and seems more suitable as an assistant.
The one thing I'll say about Ramsay is that he only coached the Thrashers for a year and lost the job because of the move/sale to Winnipeg so I'm not sure how much you can discredit his candidacy based on "having a chance" to coach Atlanta.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Here we go again with the myth-building of Arniel as some PP guru. Everyone remembers the 2005-06 season the Sabres had a great power play (# 3) with him as an assistant and forget about the other 2 seasons Arniel was in charge of the PP and it finished 20th (2002-03) and 18th (2003-04). The high finish post-lockout had more to do with Briere/Drury and a higher skill level on the roster than any special strategies Arniel invented.

chicken-egg argument.....

Old
04-25-2013, 01:11 PM
"Craigs on it"

If you think the Sabres will can Rolston and bring in Eakins, Roy or the Housley type it won't happen, it will be Roston or a guy with NHL experience.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

haven't gone all the way through this thing, has there been much conversation about Dave Cameron (Sens assistant, former OHL coach, former Binghamton HC)? I remember there was a lot of buzz around him a couple of years ago when Ottawa was searching to replace Clouston.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
chicken-egg argument.....
Well, as the coach of Columbus, the Blue Jackets finished 29th on the PP in 2010-11, and 24th in 2011-12 (Arniel coached 41 of 82 games that season). You'd think he would've imparted a bit more of his "PP genius" to his assistants if he was such a man-advantage wizard.

So, in five seasons behind an NHL bench, "his" PPs have finished better than 18th once. Some PP genius.

It's amazing the ridiculous narratives that catch on in Buffalo, NY. Then again, the bar hasn't been set very high for competent performance amongst Buffalo's professional sports teams, so maybe Arniel is smart by comparison.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
haven't gone all the way through this thing, has there been much conversation about Dave Cameron (Sens assistant, former OHL coach, former Binghamton HC)? I remember there was a lot of buzz around him a couple of years ago when Ottawa was searching to replace Clouston.
Another option, Willie Desjardins. HC for Texas Stars, AHL Coach of the Year, former assistant with Dallas, HC for Medicine Hat.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:33 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

So here's a "short"-list of guys who have been mentioned in this thread (some are obviously much preferable to others, but I'm being complete dammit):

Rolston
Eakins
Roy
Desjardins
Cameron
Renney
Housley
Cunneyworth
Arniel
Keenan
Maurice
Martin
Cooper (though with him taking over in TB, not really an option anymore)
Nolan
Boughner (doubt he'll leave his current gig)
Haviland
Sullivan
Peca
Lemaire
Boucher
Stevens
Lewis
Gallant
Ramsay

I hope I'm not missing anyone. Now rank them...go!

Old
04-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
So here's a "short"-list of guys who have been mentioned in this thread (some are obviously much preferable to others, but I'm being complete dammit):

Rolston
Eakins
Roy
Desjardins
Cameron
Renney
Housley
Cunneyworth
Arniel
Keenan
Maurice
Martin
Cooper (though with him taking over in TB, not really an option anymore)
Nolan
Haviland
Sullivan
Peca
Lemaire
Boucher
Stevens
Lewis
Gallant
Ramsay

If I'm on the search committee, I'm interested in speaking with Rolston, Roy, Eakins, Cameron, Desjardins, Doug Houda, Geoff Ward, Doug Jarvis, maybe Guy Boucher, Mike Sullivan, Cunneyworth and Housley. Tippett too if he becomes available.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post

Rolston
Eakins
Roy
Desjardins
Cameron
Renney
Housley
Cunneyworth
Arniel
Keenan
Maurice
Martin
Nolan
Haviland
Sullivan
Peca
Lemaire
Boucher
Stevens {assuming this is John, not Scott}
Lewis
Gallant
Ramsay

Definite interest = Blue
Lukewarm interest = Green
No interest = Red
Are you kidding me? = Black

Although it's a long-shot at best and he's probably better suited to a more experienced team than one filled with rookies and young players, I'll hit "rewind" on my frequent endorsements for Barry Smith.

Of other assistants around the league that haven't been suggested, I'd add Robinson (SJ) and Jarvis (Bos) as options.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:49 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Cunneyworth is am interesting name to toss around, kinda got the shaft in Montreal

Old
04-28-2013, 08:02 PM
dma0034

I have a bit of question for this: With Colorado firing Sacco how will that effect a coach's willingness to come Buffalo (meaning would a coach rather go to Colorado than Buffalo... especially Roy)?

Old
04-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Good question. I think Buffalo would attract more between both... Reason being is that Lindy simply was here too long. It isn't like some other teams where it's a terrible piece of work instantly and one and done

Old
04-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Is there a limit to what you can pay a head coach? Wondering if Pegula's wallet may help the Sabres land a coach they may not otherwise get.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:06 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Is there a limit to what you can pay a head coach? Wondering if Pegula's wallet may help the Sabres land a coach they may not otherwise get.
Not that I'm aware of. If there's one thing I'm certain of in our coaching hunt, it's that Pegula won't lose his first choice by being outbid.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
I have a bit of question for this: With Colorado firing Sacco how will that effect a coach's willingness to come Buffalo (meaning would a coach rather go to Colorado than Buffalo... especially Roy)?
Colorado's ownership has the reputation of being tightwads and bottom-line watchers.

Buffalo's ownership? Yeah, not so much.

While Colorado might be a bit more talented, I think Buffalo's better ownership situation might trump it.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:29 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
I hope not. I remember hearing a lot of negative things at the junior level. Not sure I want him coaching the Sabres.

I'm hoping Tippett will be available. We should be hearing something soon? No?

Old
04-29-2013, 12:06 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Colorado's ownership has the reputation of being tightwads and bottom-line watchers.

While Colorado might be a bit more talented, I think Buffalo's better ownership situation might trump it.
Like for like situation, I really don't think there is much between the two clubs. Roy would obviously go the Colorado first, but other than that we're both massively underachieving clubs in desperate need of a management rebuild.

Only one team has got one so far though...

Old
04-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Jame
Dream '16

I still want Renney

Old
04-29-2013, 12:25 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I still want Renney
Same, he has experience with 30th place finishes which is key to this rebuild.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Good question. I think Buffalo would attract more between both... Reason being is that Lindy simply was here too long. It isn't like some other teams where it's a terrible piece of work instantly and one and done
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post

People shouldn't lose sight of how Regier factors into this - whatever his reputation around the league is, prospective coaches will no doubt have to consider how tolerable or agreeable it is for them to work under him, maybe even moreso than working for Pegula. I suspect that, since Pegula will task Regier with control of the next coach, that coach will be more or less at Regier's mercy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I still want Renney
I have to give you full props, Jame - I had forgotten all about him until your earlier post and have since found some sense of optimism in the Sabres hiring him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Same, he has experience with 30th place finishes which is key to this rebuild.
Not to be overlooked:

- his Olympic and International coaching experience bodes well for all of the high-end international prospects the Sabres will be relying on (Grigorenko, Armia, Larsson).

- his reputation as a tactician hopefully will lend some new insights on the specialty teams.

- he won with a veteran roster in NY so he's lived through both sides of the spectrum.

- and, given that Regier seems destined to be in charge for next year, Renney's demeanor seems to be one that realistically would mesh with Regier rather than clash.

I'm hoping for an entire overhaul of the assistants as well - let Patrick and Adams go and if they like what Rolston offers, make him an assistant under Renney.

Of course, if Renney is hired, I wonder if that means Danny Gare gets offered a position with the broadcast crew, given that his sister is Renney's wife.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:34 PM
jfb392

Saw some interesting stats today on Twitter from someone who's actually a poster here..

Quote:
TheHosers_DSJ Comparing possession metrics under Ruff vs Rolston (Ruff/Rolston). Shot% (44.2%/44.5%). Fenwick% (44.5%/43.3%). Corsi% (44.8%/43.1%).
http://twitter.com/TheHosers_DSJ/sta...17417378078721

Quote:
TheHosers_DSJ By those metrics, team was marginally better under Ruff. Rolston ended w/ much better record. Diff: ES SV% w/ Ruff: .905. W/ Rolston: .947
http://twitter.com/TheHosers_DSJ/sta...17739865505792

Translation: they were just as bad under Rolston as they were under Ruff.
Rolston just benefited from hot goaltending, thus his marginally better record than Ruff that is used as proof of improvement.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:42 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Saw some interesting stats today on Twitter from someone who's actually a poster here..

http://twitter.com/TheHosers_DSJ/sta...17417378078721

http://twitter.com/TheHosers_DSJ/sta...17739865505792

Translation: they were just as bad under Rolston as they were under Ruff.
Rolston just benefited from hot goaltending, thus his marginally better record than Ruff that is used as proof of improvement.
That was my argument earlier in the thread and it was dismissed because "the team was worse." They also were (I believe) 7-1 in shootouts under Rolston. Bottom line is they were extremely lucky under Rolston to have that improved record.

Closed Thread