HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 11:21 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I didn't see anything that led me down the path of optimism towards his future. But, it's really hard to judge a coach in his situation.

The fact that he came from the lower levels, wasn't that successful in Roch or Buf... and lacks experience in the big leagues.... doesn't leave me with an optimistic outlook
But wouldn't a bad coach increase the chances of a top 3 pick next year (and the year after)? That would help the rebuild tremendously, wouldn't it?

Old
05-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
But wouldn't a bad coach increase the chances of a top 3 pick next year (and the year after)? That would help the rebuild tremendously, wouldn't it?
at the cost of the development of our current young players?

Old
05-01-2013, 11:39 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'd rather not make a move based on doing worse than the current guy and instead try to do better. Granted, that would have to involve a plan with goals in mind and firm direction at that, Rolston seems like expediance, like a guy who is simply nearby and known. And settling seems like Regier's method.
I don't like the idea of 'settling', but I know Regier will and I can live with it being Rolston. I would like a strong coach, new blood from outside the Sabres organisation but I'm not going to be crushed when it doesn't happen.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
It usually requires an asset -- either money or draft pick(s) or both -- to get permission for this sort of thing. As it stands, why does Florida, with their deep and now graduating prospect pool, look to move out Dineen? I don't see why they would have any interest as they're now bringing Huberdeau, Bjugstad, and others into the fold.
Well I'm looking at it from a more financial point of view. I don't know what Dineen makes but let's call it $1M/year. Say Pegula goes to Dineen's agent and says "well give him $3.5M/year if he resigns and we'll cover the difference from however many years he had left on his Panthers contract." If the agent goes to Florida management and asks for a major bump, how do you think they'll respond (ie, something similar to the Nolan situation)? It's not a team that makes money, though the arena does. And they did fire a perfectly cromulent coach in DeBoer for no good reason. Alternatively they can just send money back in a deal as well.

I just think if Pegula's bucks are worth what people think they are, and if "there's no salary cap for scouting" then that extends to coaching and if that's the case, they he should be able to strong arm another organization for a coach he really wants, if he really wants him. Why would the Sabres care about Huberdeau, Bjugstad etc?

Old
05-01-2013, 01:13 PM
cybresabre
Registred usre

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Well I'm looking at it from a more financial point of view. I don't know what Dineen makes but let's call it $1M/year. Say Pegula goes to Dineen's agent and says "well give him $3.5M/year if he resigns and we'll cover the difference from however many years he had left on his Panthers contract."
Isn't that pretty cut-and-dry tampering?
Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=3411574
The optics of this aren't particularly pleasant for a GM who doesn't want to be where he is and a team waiting in the wings to hire him, but they are what they are.

Bettman was asked, in a roundabout way, about the situation. He made it clear that if teams were tampering with personnel under contract to another team, he would move swiftly and decisively against both the team and the individual.

"People who sign contracts can be held to them by the other party to the contract, and there's nothing wrong with that," Bettman said. "If there's tampering going on, ultimately there are no secrets in this world. We will get to the bottom of it. And I'm no fan of tampering. And when it happens, it gets punished severely.

"A team that meddles with an individual under contract could face heavy fines and the loss of draft picks. And an individual who talks to a team while he's still under contract would face fines and a possible suspension."

Old
05-01-2013, 01:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
at the cost of the development of our current young players?
Hrm...

So we should get a coach who's good with player development, bad bad with game decisions and the like. So the players get better, but the team still loses.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Peter Karmanos, owner of Carolina-NHL and Plymouth-OHL, was tooting the horn of his OHL coach to the DFP recently and took a shot at Rolston calling him "the kid in Buffalo."
Quote:
“I think Mike’s a better coach today than three or four guys now coaching in the NHL,” Karmanos said. “In fact, I called Mike after this last coach that Tampa hired and told Mike how bad I feel that he’s coaching and being so loyal in the OHL when I think he’s better than (New Jersey’s) Peter DeBoer, he’s a better coach than (Tampa Bay’s) Jon Cooper. He’s certainly a better coach than the kid in Buffalo."

Ron Rolston of Fenton was in his second season as head coach of the AHL’s Rochester Americans when he was replaced Lindy Ruff as the Sabres’ interim head coach in February. Rolston, 46, also coached the Ann Arbor-based U.S. National Team Development Program and was an assistant with multiple colleges.

DeBoer is a two-time OHL coach of the year who coached the Detroit Whalers (1995-97) and Plymouth Whalers (1997-2001). DeBoer was previously the Florida Panthers coach (2008-11).

Vellucci, 46, joined DeBoer as one of 10 coaches who have been been voted OHL coach of the year multiple times. Vellucci also was the OHL coach of the year in 2007, the last time the Whalers won the OHL championship. He became the first American-born coach to win the award that year.

Karmanos said USA Hockey should have Vellucci coach “the U.S. junior national team, or the national team itself — he’s that good a coach.”

Has Karmanos suggested to Vellucci that he should leave the Whalers?

“If someone offered him a head coaching job, I would tell him to take it in an instant, even though I don’t know how I would replace him,” Karmanos said. “He deserves a shot in the NHL.”

Old
05-02-2013, 02:25 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Peter Karmanos, owner of Carolina-NHL and Plymouth-OHL, was tooting the horn of his OHL coach to the DFP recently and took a shot at Rolston calling him "the kid in Buffalo."
I've liked Vellucci in the OHL; though I haven't discussed him with jfb like others via pm I don't see how such comments as those made by Karmanos are valid...

Old
05-02-2013, 02:26 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

And Vellucci certainly isn't on my radar for buffalo

Old
05-02-2013, 02:54 AM
wunderpanda
Bandwagon Habs Fan

Canes better keep Vellucci around to replace Verbeek. I think Rolston may have had a better record with a third of the talent

Old
05-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I like RonRol. I do. And if he's as good at developing young players with a lot of promise, I don't see why.
A: he doesn't stay up. I think however he will go back to the Amerks if the Sabres bring in someone like Eakins.

B: this hinges on if we find a good HC for hire, but have him in Roch, and get the guys ready. But then we also need a guy that's a strengthener with the big club. Gets the most out of the youngsters and a healthy balance of lines.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Anyone have any "6 degrees of Darcy Regier" connections they can make to potential coaches? Just for fun...

Old
05-02-2013, 09:29 AM
wunderpanda
Bandwagon Habs Fan

Quote:
Anyone have any "6 degrees of Darcy Regier" connections they can make to potential coaches? Just for fun...
hmmmmm

Darcy was a Cleveland Baron with Dennis Maruk who was traded to the Capitals..

where Maruk was team mates with Brian Engblom...

who works for TSN with Darren Dredger.....

who is 2nd cousin of former Canuck and current Leaf GM Dave Nonis....

Nonis fired Mark Crawford from Vancouver...

Crawford was named coach of the Stars, replacing current Coyotes coach Dave Tippet

Tippets' contract with the Coyotes has recently expired

*I could have got to Tippet in 2, Darcy and Coyotes GM Maloney worked together on the Islanders

Old
05-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
hmmmmm

Crawford was named coach of the Stars, replacing current Coyotes coach Dave Tippet

*I could have got to Tippet in 2, Darcy and Coyotes GM Maloney worked together on the Islanders
that was awesome

do more

Old
05-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Okay, I'll play along, but I'll only go one degree using Regier's non-NYI employer .. in 1991-92, he was an assistant with Hartford and therefore is familiar with the following:
  • Andrew Cassels (Cincinnati-ECHL assistant)
  • Brad Shaw (STL assistant)
  • Mark Hunter (former Sarnia-OHL, London-OHL head coach)
  • Randy Cunneyworth (former MTL head coach)
  • Randy Ladouceur (former CAR, MTL assistant)
  • Doug Houda (BOS assistant)
  • Jim McKenzie (Muskegeon-USHL head coach)
  • Kevin Dineen (FLA head coach)
  • John Stevens (LAK assistant; former PHI head coach)
  • Paul Gillis (Odessa-NAHL head coach) *6-51-0, .125 in 12-13* laugh
  • Peter Sidorkiewicz (Erie-OHL assistant)
  • Todd Richards (CBJ head coach; former MIN head coach)
Also, two players entered the front office:
  • Pat Verbeek (TBL assistant GM)
  • Marc Bergevin (MTL GM)
Now if you do a second degree of separation, delving into their career teammates, fellow staffers and players coached/drafted, there'll be plenty more...

Old
05-02-2013, 10:37 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

When i thought the Sabres may try and build a winning team I thought no way Rolston is the coach for that, but since we are basically going to develop young players for a few years and then try to win I think Rolston is the coach for that.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:37 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

What could possibly hold up a decision?

Is Regier debating with himself? Maybe holding out for a better offer from his alter ego?

Quote:
Jeff Russo ‏@JeffRussoWKBW 4m

I'm told meetings continued today inside the hockey department for the #Sabres, no update on the future of R Rolston as of this afternoon.
https://twitter.com/JeffRussoWKBW/st...56980137910272

Old
05-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post

Is Regier debating with himself? Maybe holding out for a better offer from his alter ego?

If there are candidates Regier wants to interview who are not done with their respected seasons, it makes sense.

05-02-2013, 07:22 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post

Ask yourself this ...

This applies to NHL, AHL, or junior leagues.

Are there any coaches in the playoffs now that are better than Rolston?

Do any of those better coaches have a decent chance of being fired if they don't get into rounds 2, 3 or finals?

Then ask again ... why is Regier waiting to announce a coach?

Old
05-02-2013, 07:26 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Ask yourself this ...

This applies to NHL, AHL, or junior leagues.

Are there any coaches in the playoffs now that are better than Rolston?

Do any of those better coaches have a decent chance of being fired if they don't get into rounds 2, 3 or finals?

Then ask again ... why is Regier waiting to announce a coach?
Who says anything about getting fired? Could be an assistant coach or a lower level coach who would jump at the chance to leave for a NHL head coaching gig. But gotta wait for their season to end.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:31 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Who says anything about getting fired? Could be an assistant coach or a lower level coach who would jump at the chance to leave for a NHL head coaching gig. But gotta wait for their season to end.
Well I thought that was obvious. But I'm glad you mentioned it

Old
05-02-2013, 09:03 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Okay, I'll play along, but I'll only go one degree using Regier's non-NYI employer .. in 1991-92, he was an assistant with Hartford and therefore is familiar with the following:
  • Andrew Cassels (Cincinnati-ECHL assistant)
  • Brad Shaw (STL assistant)
  • Mark Hunter (former Sarnia-OHL, London-OHL head coach)
  • Randy Cunneyworth (former MTL head coach)
  • Randy Ladouceur (former CAR, MTL assistant)
  • Doug Houda (BOS assistant)
  • Jim McKenzie (Muskegeon-USHL head coach)
  • Kevin Dineen (FLA head coach)
  • John Stevens (LAK assistant; former PHI head coach)
  • Paul Gillis (Odessa-NAHL head coach) *6-51-0, .125 in 12-13* laugh
  • Peter Sidorkiewicz (Erie-OHL assistant)
  • Todd Richards (CBJ head coach; former MIN head coach)
Also, two players entered the front office:
  • Pat Verbeek (TBL assistant GM)
  • Marc Bergevin (MTL GM)
Now if you do a second degree of separation, delving into their career teammates, fellow staffers and players coached/drafted, there'll be plenty more...
To the bolded: PERFECT!!!! That's a tank that won't even make it to the battlefield.

I remember many of the above names during their playing careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
hmmmmm

That was indeed awesome. I wonder if Darcy was in the Baron's lineup the night BUF beat them 13-3. It was a blowout of epic proportions. Derek Smith scored his first NHL goal for BUF. Dennis Maruk scored on a faceoff puck drop at the d-zone dot to the left of the Sabre Goalie. Puck never hit the ice.
Quote:
If there are candidates Regier wants to interview who are not done with their respected seasons, it makes sense.
It does make sense.

Does anyone think if any of the current Sabre assistants are released, or allowed to talk with another club, that it's a sign a new coach will be brought in? or not necessarily, because if ROnRol is made "permanent", he'll bring in his own assistants?

Old
05-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Layne Staley

Quote:
Yeah Rolstons a kid compared to his super awesome CHL coach who is a mere 2 months older Aside from Tyler Seguin and James Neal, what star players have come out of Plymouth since this guy has been coach? James Wisneiwski? 7 1st and 2nd round picks he's coached since 2002 and only 2 have done anything.

Karmanos is an idiot, bush league comments from him are comical. We get more people in party at the plaza then the Hurricanes get to actually go inside their arena.

Last edited by Layne Staley: 05-03-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old
05-03-2013, 03:50 AM
wunderpanda
Bandwagon Habs Fan

Quote:

do more
glad you liked it, I have another

Darcy was drafted by the Golden Seals..

the Seals goalie was Gilles Meloche.....

who ended his career as a Penguin with Mario Lemieux...

Mario won the Masterson award like Phil Kessel...

Kessel was on the 2006 USA World Junior team..

where he was coached by Ron Rolston

*I was going towards Eakins but couldn't resist

Old
05-03-2013, 03:17 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

I wonder if Portland Winterhawks GM/HC Mike Johnston is a guy he wants to talk to?

Or there is this guy who's busy coaching the Barrie Colts.....

Closed Thread