HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix Coyotes Sign David Schlemko to a 2 Year Contract Extension

Old
02-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

vCash: 500
Phoenix Coyotes Sign David Schlemko to a 2 Year Contract Extension

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=657395

per Sarah MacLellan

Quote:
#Coyotes announce they've signed D David Schlemko to a two-year deal.

Schlemko, who is working his way back from a shoulder injury, was set to become an RFA at season's end.
per Bob McKenzie

Quote:
PHX signs David Schlemko to two year deal with AAV of $1.1875.

Last edited by Rabbit: 02-25-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Important cog in the system to keep.

I should add that I am always fascinated when signing an injured player to an extension. Is it because he was around and could negotiate or was it an incentive to rush a player back? Some players side with caution on contract years.

Last edited by Naurutger: 02-25-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post

I should add that I am always fascinated when signing an injured player to an extension. Is it because he was around and could negotiate or was it an incentive to rush a player back? Some players side with caution on contract years.
Sarah McLellan speculates Maloney signed him to make him a more attractive trade chip. Makes sense, i think Maloney sees that offense is needed right now. Plus, Rundblad, Stone, and Summers have all looked good.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:05 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Another Excellent value signing by Maloney. Even though Schlemko is injured he looked very solid this season when he was healthy, I'm very excited by this signing.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

With that said, i have to pat myself on the back here. I always knew he had it in him, even when everybody hated him and wanted him benched so Lepisto could play, i saw something in him....as evidence of my "David....Freaking....Schlemko" thread that i caught some heat for.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:14 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
With that said, i have to pat myself on the back here. I always knew he had it in him, even when everybody hated him and wanted him benched so Lepisto could play, i saw something in him....as evidence of my "David....Freaking....Schlemko" thread that i caught some heat for.
Schlemko has routinely met or exceeded expectations throughout his career. Very underrated player.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:16 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Sarah McLellan speculates Maloney signed him to make him a more attractive trade chip. Makes sense, i think Maloney sees that offense is needed right now. Plus, Rundblad, Stone, and Summers have all looked good.
He's a chip but needs to play to get some real value.

Rundblad/Stone/Summers have all been tolerable at times. None have stolen a spot which is what we need at this point. Someone who's going to make a statement about being part of our long-term core. What we are getting are guys who are content with just fitting in. We need more. We expect more.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:20 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

^ I agree with this. Anyone know the timetable for Schlemkos return? We could sure use him right about now.

Last edited by CC96: 02-25-2013 at 03:14 PM.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Phoenix Coyotes sign David Schlemko to two-year extension

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...extension.html

Quote:
“I think I do fit in here,” Schlemko said. “It has been frustrating with two kind of really freak injuries, but this one isn’t so serious. I’ve already been back skating for a week and just kind of chomping at the bit to get back in there.”

Old
02-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post

I'm definitely interested in knowing why Schlem signed this now. Considering how he was playing last year and this year before his injuries I'd think he'd want to get back, show that level of play for the rest of the year and maybe get a little more than what this deal is worth. Maybe it's erring on the side of caution as you said, but I can't imagine he would have gotten much less even he got injured again. Regardless, I'm very happy to have him locked up for the next couple years on a contract I think is still great bang for buck on what he brings.

Really hope MacLellan is wrong with the speculation this may be to try and trade him. Not impressed with any of the young guys to where I'd say I'd want them over Schlem at this point. Maybe that happens down the road, but not yet.

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:59 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct View Post
I'm definitely interested in knowing why Schlem signed this now. Considering how he was playing last year and this year before his injuries I'd think he'd want to get back, show that level of play for the rest of the year and maybe get a little more than what this deal is worth. Maybe it's erring on the side of caution as you said, but I can't imagine he would have gotten much less even he got injured again. Regardless, I'm very happy to have him locked up for the next couple years on a contract I think is still great bang for buck on what he brings.

Really hope MacLellan is wrong with the speculation this may be to try and trade him. Not impressed with any of the young guys to where I'd say I'd want them over Schlem at this point. Maybe that happens down the road, but not yet.
Cap drops significantly next year and the danger is Schlemko wouldn't be anyone's first choice and nobody having cap room space to accommodate him.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Coyote 96 View Post
Another Excellent value signing by Maloney. Even though Schlemko is injured he looked very solid this season when he was healthy, I'm very excited by this signing.
You got that right. What a steal!

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
Glad to see this signing.

hbk makes a good point about him needing to play to increase his value, though.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:23 PM
XX
... Waiting

Timing is odd. I guess him being down with an injury and being so affordable makes it an easy signing. Have to get OEL done. I'd like to think that the league recognizes his value, relocation or not, to any potential owner.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

"@azc_mclellan: Tippett also figures Schlemko is at least a week away. As far as what Tippett had to say on contract extension..."

Old
02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct View Post

Assuming its a 1-way deal, getting $1.2m/year guaranteed is a pretty good increase for Schlemko personally.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:31 PM
AndrewYotes

He's been solid for us. He was playing very well before his injury last year and this year's injury. There are other defensemen I'd like to see us trade before him.

AndrewYotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
I didn't think they would sign anyone until they had OEL locked up due to the new salary cap. I like Flemko, but it's still an odd time to sign him.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Vip
****n good milkshake

vCash: 50
I really like this signing.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

I get the feeling more than anything else that this means Summers days may be numbered with OEL, Yandle, Gormley and Schlemko on the left and Michalek, Rundblad, and Stone on the right and Klesla playing either side.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote