HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks to buy Riverman?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2013, 09:13 PM
  #1
I BLEED BLUE
Registered User
 
I BLEED BLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Canucks to buy Riverman?

So I am sorry if this has been posted or talked about already so if it I apologize ahead of time.

A friend of mine sent me a link today of an artical that was wrote ahout the Canucks buying them. I was in a hurry and just wanted to know if maby some of you guys could shed some light on this for me. What does this mean for the beloved riverman?

I BLEED BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:18 PM
  #2
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I BLEED BLUE View Post
So I am sorry if this has been posted or talked about already so if it I apologize ahead of time.

A friend of mine sent me a link today of an artical that was wrote ahout the Canucks buying them. I was in a hurry and just wanted to know if maby some of you guys could shed some light on this for me. What does this mean for the beloved riverman?
Pick a new affiliate, a new face for our prospects.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:21 PM
  #3
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10,555
vCash: 868
There is a bit of talk about it in the Peoria sticky. Calgary are moving their AHL team (Abbotsford Heat) to New York, so Vancouver are rumoured to be buying the Peoria Rivermen and moving the franchise to Abbotsford.

The Blues will then partner with the Chicago Wolves. On the face of it, the story makes a lot of sense.

Having read up on the Chicago Wolves, it would appear to be a pretty negative move for the Blues. We'll see though...

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:31 PM
  #4
Brez50
Registered User
 
Brez50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Nooooo!!!

I've watched the Rivermen for many years (was almost a season ticket holder back in my early days).

I don't want to see the Blues lose them.

Brez50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:29 PM
  #5
Oshie97
Registered User
 
Oshie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,512
vCash: 500
I hate this, the only move the Blues should make is maybe move the Riverman to the family arena. It so close and perfect for a AHL team, but I guess the Chill will be taking it. Sucks if they go, I don't want our prospects playing in Chicago...

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:43 PM
  #6
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,821
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
I hate this, the only move the Blues should make is maybe move the Riverman to the family arena. It so close and perfect for a AHL team, but I guess the Chill will be taking it. Sucks if they go, I don't want our prospects playing in Chicago...
Chicago would be better IMO. A Chicago team will be more attractive to European prospects than a Peoria team.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:57 PM
  #7
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Maby the riverman will be bought.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:15 AM
  #8
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10,555
vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Chicago would be better IMO. A Chicago team will be more attractive to European prospects than a Peoria team.
That was my initial thought process, but the Wolves owners are more about winning than player development. There can be some crossover in that, but it is far from ideal.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:31 AM
  #9
ManyIdeas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,668
vCash: 50
Straight to St. Charles, then! Who cares about the Chill

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:01 AM
  #10
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10,555
vCash: 868
Story here

A bit of a strange response from the Blues. To come out and say that nothing is decided, but then to deny contact with the rumoured parties? Just odd. Maybe we are more interested in moving them to somewhere like Kansas City or Indianapolis rather than selling up.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:05 AM
  #11
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,887
vCash: 380
Peoria seems a lot less attractive than Chicago IMO.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:32 AM
  #12
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,821
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
That was my initial thought process, but the Wolves owners are more about winning than player development. There can be some crossover in that, but it is far from ideal.
It's nit like Peoria is great at development.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:53 AM
  #13
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10,555
vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
It's nit like Peoria is great at development.
We at least have control over that process, and this is the time that it matters with the very significant influx of talent going into our AHL team next season.

As much as we can question the development record in Peoria, we've hardly filled it with talent in recent years. All our better picks have basically bypassed the AHL to join the Blues.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:45 PM
  #14
Baby Blues
Registered User
 
Baby Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
It's nit like Peoria is great at development.
So tired of these uneducated comments. The BLUES own the Rivermen organization, if the Rivermen org is not great at development, then the BLUES are not great at development. Its their players, their coaches, their GM.

Note that the word "Peoria" is not in the above statement because location (within the same league) doesn't really matter in development.

Baby Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:07 PM
  #15
Crumblin Erb Brooks
Registered User
 
Crumblin Erb Brooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grenyarnia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Blues View Post
So tired of these uneducated comments. The BLUES own the Rivermen organization, if the Rivermen org is not great at development, then the BLUES are not great at development. Its their players, their coaches, their GM.

Note that the word "Peoria" is not in the above statement because location (within the same league) doesn't really matter in development.
Isnt the implication that the Blues may just sell Peoria to Vancouver and Vancouver would sell Chicago to a 3rd party, and the Blues wouldnt own an AHL team anymore but would affiliate with Chicago?

Even if the Blues do take ownership of the Wolves, it kind of makes sense for the Blues, as much as that sucks or Peorians. Chicago is much more likely to fill up a stadium than Peoria, and travel between the two is easy.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:29 PM
  #16
superblues
:sarcasm: implied
 
superblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
Makes sense to me that Stillman will sell the Rivermen and simply affiliate with another team for financial reasons. It does take a certain amount of control away from the development end, but if I understand the situation, Stillman needs results in the near term. Development isn't strong on his radar.

All IMO, IME, etc.

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
  #17
Baby Blues
Registered User
 
Baby Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Isnt the implication that the Blues may just sell Peoria to Vancouver and Vancouver would sell Chicago to a 3rd party, and the Blues wouldnt own an AHL team anymore but would affiliate with Chicago?

Even if the Blues do take ownership of the Wolves, it kind of makes sense for the Blues, as much as that sucks or Peorians. Chicago is much more likely to fill up a stadium than Peoria, and travel between the two is easy.
My main point had nothing to do with the sale. Its that somehow "Peoria" is bad at development. Just saying if the whole org was somewhere else "as is", it wouldn't matter.

Regarding the move, Wolves aren't owned by Van. and the Blues would not be interested in buying the Wolves (likely not for sale anyway). Without ownership, it really doesn't matter whether the Wolves make money or not to the Blues.

Some comments from those Canuck fans who've dealt with the Wolves org.

If true, the Canucks finally owning their own AHL affiliate is even better news than the fact they're moving to Abbotsford as they now are in complete control over their prospects. Goodbye Don Levin!

Very happy that the Canucks will *own* the team. This is super key.

Canucks owning their own development team is a massive gain for prospects.

Baby Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:31 PM
  #18
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,755
vCash: 500
The Chicago Wolves are an inependently-owned and operated AHL team, whose attendance, and therefore, income, is partly dependent upon their won-lost record. They try to assemble the best lineup they can afford, to try to win The Calder Cup (AHL championship) each year. Thus, they will limit the number of the working-agreement team's roster spots, and will fill the other spots with their self-owned Chicago Wolves "career AHLers" (high-AHL-quality veterans), and a few of their own "development players".

This means that some of The NHL working-agreement team's first year pros not good enough to start in The AHL, will not be able to beat out AHL veterans, and not be accepted by The Wolves. They will thus be forced to play in The ECHL, when, had they been owned by an NHL team who owned its own AHL franchise, they'd otherwise have been able to start out as a part-time player in The AHL.

On the other side of the coin, The Chicago Wolves are a perennial AHL power, and the Blues players who DO make their roster, will almost be guaranteed to play on a winning team.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:03 PM
  #19
Izzy
Moderator
JuhaMetsolaForVezina
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,289
vCash: 50
Purchases and movements of affiliate teams is the most idiotic thing in the world.

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:25 AM
  #20
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,111
vCash: 500
You guys tend to draft better than us, so a partnership with Chicago might not be so bad. Then again, it didn't work for Atlanta so well and they had some phenomenal picks.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:38 AM
  #21
Crumblin Erb Brooks
Registered User
 
Crumblin Erb Brooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grenyarnia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
Purchases and movements of affiliate teams is the most idiotic thing in the world.
Not sure I get this, if it makes sense for all parties involved, why is it so obviously idiotic? Blues dont want to lose money on a part of the organization that hasnt produced much, Vancouver wants a team closer to them and under their control, and Calgary.... well I dont get Calgary's incentive to move their team, but they have their reasons. Minor league teams move all the time, regardless of sport. Hell, major league teams still move fairly regularly.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:55 AM
  #22
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 22,990
vCash: 50
Most of Vancouver's problems with Chicago can be summed up as

a) our prospects aren't getting time because, quite frankly, they aren't that good

b) the coach was making non-nonsensical decisions. That's Vancouver's hand picked and delivered coach.

No real problems with the Wolves organisation.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:03 AM
  #23
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 22,990
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Not sure I get this, if it makes sense for all parties involved, why is it so obviously idiotic? Blues dont want to lose money on a part of the organization that hasnt produced much, Vancouver wants a team closer to them and under their control, and Calgary.... well I dont get Calgary's incentive to move their team, but they have their reasons. Minor league teams move all the time, regardless of sport. Hell, major league teams still move fairly regularly.
Calgary are moving because some bright spark in the Flames organisation though playing Flames prospects in Flames colours under the name "Heat" in an out of the way place in the Vancouver market would be a great idea. The flames will be better off in a more friendly/neutral market. It might work better for vancouver fans who can't afford Canucks tickets.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
  #24
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Story here

A bit of a strange response from the Blues. To come out and say that nothing is decided, but then to deny contact with the rumoured parties? Just odd. Maybe we are more interested in moving them to somewhere like Kansas City or Indianapolis rather than selling up.
Odd? Yes,but not really suprised either. Meh, where there is smoke, there is fire so they say.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:45 PM
  #25
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 35,228
vCash: 5113
Coming in peace, but as long as the Wolves stay affiliated with one of our rivals, I'm cool.

Despite all the *****ing and moaning that happened in our fanbase over a local team affiliating with the Nucks, the Wolves have always been far more interested in winning then developing their parent's prospects. Dollars to donuts, more than a couple of your guys' prospects' development will be held back a tad by the Wolves due to this organizational outlook, and it was for that reason that I viewed the Wolves affiliation with Vancouver as a blessing in disguise.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.