HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals Part 4

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2013, 08:29 PM
  #751
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne
 
Oberyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Regehr wouldn't be an upgrade over Redden. Regehr is very slow and Chicago and LA would just fly right past him. I'd prefer JayBo over him.

As for the Backes talk on here, he isn't being traded. I don't think the average fan realizes how much we ask of him. We expect him to shutdown the opponent's top line, play physical, lead, and depending on his linemates, he has to be the goal scorer too. Oshie is not much of a scorer, more of a creater. Schwartz is the same way, so it makes a lot of sense in putting Stewart with him, and if Tarasenko was healthy, maybe he would get a shot too.

He is still on pace for 54 points, the same amount as last season. He has not been great, but he has not been nearly as bad as some people here think.

Blues fans seem to have an obsession with blaming some of the top players for anything and everything, when in reality they are not that bad. Backes, Jackman, Berglund, and Perron have been victims of this IMO. I'll admit that I'm not the biggest Perron fan and sometimes might go a bit too far.
Get a number one center and I think Backes would really shine on the second line. Similar to Kesler in Vancouver.

Oberyn is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 08:35 PM
  #752
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,224
vCash: 714
Backes' critics need to look less at his point production (though I agree he's had a slow start and subpar puck handling) and look at how few chances and shots the best line on the opposition usually gets against the Blues.

2 Minute Minor is online now  
Old
03-13-2013, 08:40 PM
  #753
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,041
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Backes' critics need to look less at his point production (though I agree he's had a slow start and subpar puck handling) and look at how few chances and shots the best line on the opposition usually gets against the Blues.
His point production is even on par with his usual production.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 08:52 PM
  #754
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Backes' critics need to look less at his point production (though I agree he's had a slow start and subpar puck handling) and look at how few chances and shots the best line on the opposition usually gets against the Blues.
That through the legs tip to Stewy last night was pretty sweet...

Bluesman91 is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 10:43 PM
  #755
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
A burst of 4 goals in 3 games sooner or later will quell some of the Backes concern. I still believe it's going to happen while acknowledging he doesn't look as good offensively this year. Now, the good news is he has much more supporting cast to put up points (when healthy) and if they're producing and he's playing shutdown D I can live with that.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 05:08 AM
  #756
Alklha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,267
vCash: 50
I'm convinced that Backes is playing injured; he isn't playing badly, but he does look off out there. There is no chance that we are going to trade an elite shutdown centre who is basically ideal for how our team is built.

All the Stewart talk had died down before Dreger regurgitated a stupid rumour from elsewhere. He isn't untouchable, but if I see the nonsensical "he is on your third line, trade him for our scraps and you can have a tiny upgrade on D" argument again I think I might kill someone.

Alklha is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 05:36 AM
  #757
Alklha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,267
vCash: 50
If the talk of the Ducks being interested in McDonald was true, does anyone think we'd consider moving him? If we did, I suspect we'd want Devante Smith-Pelly or Peter Holland coming back, and I'm not sure Anaheim would want to pay that. Quality rentals for a Cup run don't comes cheap at the best of times, but when it is such a sellers market and you are wanting a piece from a playoff team, the price isn't exactly going to be easy to swallow.

Alklha is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 06:02 AM
  #758
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
If the talk of the Ducks being interested in McDonald was true, does anyone think we'd consider moving him? If we did, I suspect we'd want Devante Smith-Pelly or Peter Holland coming back, and I'm not sure Anaheim would want to pay that. Quality rentals for a Cup run don't comes cheap at the best of times, but when it is such a sellers market and you are wanting a piece from a playoff team, the price isn't exactly going to be easy to swallow.
Sbisa or Holland would be my targets and I don't think those are fantasy returns for Andy. Not necessarily straight up, but if the Blues could get one of those, I think they're listening. Not that they're shopping him, but I have to think he's available, especially with looking so-so this year. They won't get Lindholm or Vatanen and among all of DSP, Rakell, Etem, Holland, etc., there are probably a couple the Blues covet and a couple the Ducks won't give up. If those match up well, awesome.

rumrokh is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 06:03 AM
  #759
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
If the talk of the Ducks being interested in McDonald was true, does anyone think we'd consider moving him? If we did, I suspect we'd want Devante Smith-Pelly or Peter Holland coming back, and I'm not sure Anaheim would want to pay that. Quality rentals for a Cup run don't comes cheap at the best of times, but when it is such a sellers market and you are wanting a piece from a playoff team, the price isn't exactly going to be easy to swallow.
Perhaps they would part with Nicholas Kerdiles or better yet Rickard Rakell and also, maybe take a flyer on Mat Clark too. If the tool box could ever get opened, then Clark could be a good, tough backliner.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 07:56 AM
  #760
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,041
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I'm convinced that Backes is playing injured; he isn't playing badly, but he does look off out there. There is no chance that we are going to trade an elite shutdown centre who is basically ideal for how our team is built.

All the Stewart talk had died down before Dreger regurgitated a stupid rumour from elsewhere. He isn't untouchable, but if I see the nonsensical "he is on your third line, trade him for our scraps and you can have a tiny upgrade on D" argument again I think I might kill someone.
Don't forget Stewie is lazier than all of us on HF.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
  #761
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I'm convinced that Backes is playing injured; he isn't playing badly, but he does look off out there. There is no chance that we are going to trade an elite shutdown centre who is basically ideal for how our team is built.

All the Stewart talk had died down before Dreger regurgitated a stupid rumour from elsewhere. He isn't untouchable, but if I see the nonsensical "he is on your third line, trade him for our scraps and you can have a tiny upgrade on D" argument again I think I might kill someone.
I am in 100% agreement with this. I wonder if he will get a rest once Steen, Tank, and McDonald make it back.

Frenzy1 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:19 PM
  #762
MattyMo35
Moderator
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,163
vCash: 50
Strickland just tweeted "uncertainty of injured players could keep Chris Stewart in Blues uniform past deadline". What an idiotic thing to say. That is the only reason he could stay? Nothing to do with him busting his ass in the offseason to get into shape and leading the team in points? Not putting in 100% effort for just about every game this season? No, just injuries. That pisses me off.

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:23 PM
  #763
frostyflo
#peskyblues
 
frostyflo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Strickland just tweeted "uncertainty of injured players could keep Chris Stewart in Blues uniform past deadline". What an idiotic thing to say. That is the only reason he could stay? Nothing to do with him busting his ass in the offseason to get into shape and leading the team in points? Not putting in 100% effort for just about every game this season? No, just injuries. That pisses me off.
saw that too right now and thought the same, he writes a lot of bs lately

frostyflo is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 02:15 PM
  #764
OCTA8ON
Registered User
 
OCTA8ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Strickland just tweeted "uncertainty of injured players could keep Chris Stewart in Blues uniform past deadline". What an idiotic thing to say. That is the only reason he could stay? Nothing to do with him busting his ass in the offseason to get into shape and leading the team in points? Not putting in 100% effort for just about every game this season? No, just injuries. That pisses me off.

Pisses me off too. He gives Stewart no credit. Strickland in general has really poor judgement when it comes to hockey, and if he wants to continue to smash his credibility tweet after tweet, I'm not going to stop him.

OCTA8ON is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 02:58 PM
  #765
BlueBeard
Registered User
 
BlueBeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I am in 100% agreement with this. I wonder if he will get a rest once Steen, Tank, and McDonald make it back.
This is Backes we are talking about here. He could have a leg amputated in the morning and would be out there playing in his prosthetic leg that night. I don't see Backes taking any sort of rest.

BlueBeard is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 04:08 PM
  #766
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"
 
Blue Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
Pisses me off too. He gives Stewart no credit. Strickland in general has really poor judgement when it comes to hockey, and if he wants to continue to smash his credibility tweet after tweet, I'm not going to stop him.
Yes, but the trick is making sure the rest of the NHL fans stop using him as a reliable source (maybe we can just tell them all: "Rutherford good, Strickland bad"). I mean, I give him credit for taking the initiative to try and become a "hockey writer", but it's a shame he's not very good at it.

True story: I wore my Blues jersey to the 2010 NHL Draft in Los Angeles, and Strickland walked up and introduced himself to me. We chatted for a bit, and he gave me his business card. He seemed like a nice enough guy - when I got home and told a friend (who's a huge Blues fan) that I'd met him, my friend could not stop laughing. Now I understand why...

Blue Goose is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 04:13 PM
  #767
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
Yes, but the trick is making sure the rest of the NHL fans stop using him as a reliable source (maybe we can just tell them all: "Rutherford good, Strickland bad"). I mean, I give him credit for taking the initiative to try and become a "hockey writer", but it's a shame he's not very good at it.

True story: I wore my Blues jersey to the 2010 NHL Draft in Los Angeles, and Strickland walked up and introduced himself to me. We chatted for a bit, and he gave me his business card. He seemed like a nice enough guy - when I got home and told a friend (who's a huge Blues fan) that I'd met him, my friend could not stop laughing. Now I understand why...
And that friend isn't even me!

PocketNines is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 04:15 PM
  #768
Alklha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,267
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Sbisa or Holland would be my targets and I don't think those are fantasy returns for Andy. Not necessarily straight up, but if the Blues could get one of those, I think they're listening. Not that they're shopping him, but I have to think he's available, especially with looking so-so this year. They won't get Lindholm or Vatanen and among all of DSP, Rakell, Etem, Holland, etc., there are probably a couple the Blues covet and a couple the Ducks won't give up. If those match up well, awesome.
I wouldn't have thought they'd be interested in moving Sbisa, but that is certainly something I'd be interested in. I'd imagine it would only be futures they'd be looking at. Selšnne getting older, Perry looking like he might be gone, this is their best chance at a Cup for a few years. Even seen a Ducks fan imply that getting McDonald would help convince Perry to stay!

What's the general opinion on Stewart "being available"? He has a stupid shooting percentage right now (21.2%) that won't continue, but he is still contributing when he isn't scoring so that isn't really a big deal. Armstrong isn't stupid enough that he is untouchable, but I can't see us taking less than an overpayment. There would be a huge amount of interest though...

Alklha is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 04:45 PM
  #769
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
If you assume McDonald and D'Agostini are not retained after this season, then here is your organizational depth of near-term (and slightly longer term) top-9 capable players:

LW: Perron, Steen, Schwartz, (Sobotka) ... Jaskin ... Veillieux, Tesink, MacEachern
RW: Oshie, Tarasenko, Stewart ... Rattie ... Kurker
C: Backes, Berglund, (Sobotka) ... Lehtera

If the Blues feel Jaskin or Rattie is close enough to breaking the roster, then they can trade a bigger salary on the wings and supplant it with the prospect's ELC. Obviously the significant winger would be used to acquire the LHD in ye olde hockeye trade.

Could it be Stewart? Each of the wingers has a different skillset and all are valuable. No matter which guy you pick you will have someone correctly saying: but so and so brings X element that the Blues need. For this reason it could be Stewart, and it could be one of the other guys. Unlikely to be Schwartz because of the ELC and unlikelihood that his bridge contract will be big. Unlikely to be Oshie because he's the most well-rounded and fits Hitchcock's system to a T. Unlikely to be Tarasenko, also ELC reasons, and that he's a rare player.

IMO if we see a winger moved to fix the LHD issue it'll be one of Perron, Stewart or Steen. I'd be very surprised if it were McDonald for that guy unless a team like Toronto or Pittsburgh felt they needed that playoff edge and were willing to deal Gardiner or Despres (an overpayment by them, and again, a very surprising one).

PocketNines is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 06:04 PM
  #770
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual
 
Multimoodia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Range
Posts: 1,904
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
And that friend isn't even me!
Well obviously not, that would require someone to consider you a friend.



















Fore!

Multimoodia is online now  
Old
03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
  #771
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Strickland just tweeted "uncertainty of injured players could keep Chris Stewart in Blues uniform past deadline". What an idiotic thing to say. That is the only reason he could stay? Nothing to do with him busting his ass in the offseason to get into shape and leading the team in points? Not putting in 100% effort for just about every game this season? No, just injuries. That pisses me off.
Fantastic post. Agreed 200%.

In fact I think I will be pissed if any forward is traded before D'Agostini. He has absolutely no spot on this team and looks terrible.

BlueDream is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 08:48 PM
  #772
OCTA8ON
Registered User
 
OCTA8ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
If you assume McDonald and D'Agostini are not retained after this season, then here is your organizational depth of near-term (and slightly longer term) top-9 capable players:

LW: Perron, Steen, Schwartz, (Sobotka) ... Jaskin ... Veillieux, Tesink, MacEachern
RW: Oshie, Tarasenko, Stewart ... Rattie ... Kurker
C: Backes, Berglund, (Sobotka) ... Lehtera

If the Blues feel Jaskin or Rattie is close enough to breaking the roster, then they can trade a bigger salary on the wings and supplant it with the prospect's ELC. Obviously the significant winger would be used to acquire the LHD in ye olde hockeye trade.

Could it be Stewart? Each of the wingers has a different skillset and all are valuable. No matter which guy you pick you will have someone correctly saying: but so and so brings X element that the Blues need. For this reason it could be Stewart, and it could be one of the other guys. Unlikely to be Schwartz because of the ELC and unlikelihood that his bridge contract will be big. Unlikely to be Oshie because he's the most well-rounded and fits Hitchcock's system to a T. Unlikely to be Tarasenko, also ELC reasons, and that he's a rare player.

IMO if we see a winger moved to fix the LHD issue it'll be one of Perron, Stewart or Steen. I'd be very surprised if it were McDonald for that guy unless a team like Toronto or Pittsburgh felt they needed that playoff edge and were willing to deal Gardiner or Despres (an overpayment by them, and again, a very surprising one).
If Tarasenko plays up to at least Perron's level, then I can see Perron going. Stewart is too big and strong to let go, and the LA Kings showed how important size, strength, and skill were in the playoffs last year. Perron has skill, but one could argue that he doesn't play bang bang blues hockey, but he could warrant a pretty big return in a LHD due to his skill. Should be interesting, but I would personally rather see D'agistini, Rattie, Schmaltz, or some other draft pick as trade pieces before dissecting our core.

OCTA8ON is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 12:39 AM
  #773
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Well obviously not, that would require someone to consider you a friend.



















Fore!
LOL, I am more of a high-class acquaintance.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 03:31 AM
  #774
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,370
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
saw that too right now and thought the same, he writes a lot of bs lately
I ignore everything Strickland posts, not a very creditable source, he should write for Bleacher Report.

JustOneB4IDie is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:52 PM
  #775
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,041
vCash: 50
Strickland is only as good as his source and he has no source in this case.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.