HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals Part 4

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2013, 09:02 PM
  #876
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,005
vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Possible center targets I have in mind are Pavelski, Filppula, Ribeiro, Anisimov, Little, and Burmistrov. All would have different asking prices, but nothing too unreasonable.
I'd really want to know what the asking price for Burmistrov would be. He is getting scratched now, and I don't really think that is fair on his performance so far, but they are winning. His offensive game still needs to come together, but he is a solid defensive player and physical.

I expect they would want something around Berglund for Burmistrov though...

Alklha is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 09:41 PM
  #877
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 16,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Possible center targets I have in mind are Pavelski, Filppula, Ribeiro, Anisimov, Little, and Burmistrov. All would have different asking prices, but nothing too unreasonable.
I may be in the minority, but if Pavelski were signed for longer I would consider a deal based around him and Oshie. I like Oshie a lot, but Pavelski would give us three excellent centers and open up some space on right wing.

Vladys Gumption is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
  #878
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,678
vCash: 130
Sounds like the Flames are interested in Read. We can probably take Giordano off our list as the Flames will continue to not do an actual rebuild. I'd also imagine Stewart is clearly not available since the Flames have 2 defensemen that would from an ability wise work for us.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 02:18 PM
  #879
Corn Baller
Registered User
 
Corn Baller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 293
vCash: 500
Given the Penguin's need/desire for a winger for Crosby and our need for a minute chewing LHD, how off-base is a trade based on Stewart and Orpik?

Corn Baller is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 02:29 PM
  #880
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,678
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Baller View Post
Given the Penguin's need/desire for a winger for Crosby and our need for a minute chewing LHD, how off-base is a trade based on Stewart and Orpik?
Orpik is regressing, so doesn't make much sense.

Pittsburgh's problem is defense, so if they are offering defense, it's probably because they aren't very good anymore.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:08 PM
  #881
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,678
vCash: 130
So Redden hasn't had a "minus" game since that LA disaster, so does anyone think we really need to get a defenseman at the deadline? Redden has been getting limites, but that could be due to special teams, and situations when we are either winning or losing and Russell or Polak get more minutes.

Our situation isn't ideal, but unless we get a gift of a deal, I don't see Armstrong doing anything.

Ideally we could play both LA and Chicago before the deadline to see if this lineup with the way they are playing can beat those teams.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:22 PM
  #882
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 16,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Baller View Post
Given the Penguin's need/desire for a winger for Crosby and our need for a minute chewing LHD, how off-base is a trade based on Stewart and Orpik?
Absolutely not. You don't trade an upward trending power forward of Stewart's skill for a declining Orpik. This trade has been beaten to death anyway.

Vladys Gumption is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
  #883
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,678
vCash: 130
If Allen maintains the starter role and has a good playoffs, do you think we'd consider moving Halak and expect Allen to follow Cam Ward's path or do you think we stay conservative in fear of Allen turning into another Steve Mason? Although Mason's stats were boosted by his shutouts, and when he didn't get a shutout he wasn't that impressive.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:30 PM
  #884
CarvinSigX
The Toilet
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 11,840
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Baller View Post
Given the Penguin's need/desire for a winger for Crosby and our need for a minute chewing LHD, how off-base is a trade based on Stewart and Orpik?
Would you trade Neal for Jackman?

CarvinSigX is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:33 PM
  #885
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,693
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Baller View Post
Given the Penguin's need/desire for a winger for Crosby and our need for a minute chewing LHD, how off-base is a trade based on Stewart and Orpik?

Blues can't afford to give up Stewart's size and toughness up top. They would miss him more than people realize. Remember, this isn't last years Stewart we are talking about. This years Stewart is Iginla-light.

Mike Liut is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:45 PM
  #886
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Blues can't afford to give up Stewart's size and toughness up top. They would miss him more than people realize. Remember, this isn't last years Stewart we are talking about. This years Stewart is Iginla-light.
I would do something more around Despres and one of their LHD surplus they have in their system like Morrow that are ready. Maybe a top six for Bennett, Despres, and Morrow/Demoulin/Samuelsson deal. We'd be set for the next 5 years on LHD and have partners for both Pietro and Shatty. Bennett looks like a potential top 6 player as well. You ask why the Pens would do this? they just lost a couple prospects of theirs do to a surplus and they signed elsewhere. They are flooded with defensive NHL ready prospects.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:48 PM
  #887
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex
 
TheOrganist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
So Redden hasn't had a "minus" game since that LA disaster, so does anyone think we really need to get a defenseman at the deadline? Redden has been getting limites, but that could be due to special teams, and situations when we are either winning or losing and Russell or Polak get more minutes.

Our situation isn't ideal, but unless we get a gift of a deal, I don't see Armstrong doing anything.

Ideally we could play both LA and Chicago before the deadline to see if this lineup with the way they are playing can beat those teams.
Yes. A good game for Redden is him not making one or two egregious mistakes. He's not anything close to a reliable top 4 defenseman that is going to be close to mistake-free defensively against quality competition in the playoffs. Which is the only thing the Blues need in a top 4 defenseman. He will not be able to provide that stable, rock solid, defensive element on a game to game basis.

The Blues chances for a solid post-season run go up dramatically with a better second pairing defenseman. Unfortunately, they aren't a lot of sellers and the buyers are all looking for the same pieces and raising the costs. It also doesn't help that a potential seller like Winnipeg is now suddenly playing well and much less inclined to move the bodies that are helping fuel their run up the standings, even if they're UFA.

Ron Hainsey is a good example of what could be a really solid addition (his game this season has been described as exactly what I wrote above, "rock solid") but suddenly the Jets are playing well and their GM won't move him unless he gets offered a premium price (which according to the Winnipeg paper is now pegged as a 1st rounder). Their schedule is pretty easy leading up to April 3rd and they could very easily be leading their division by the trade deadline.

TheOrganist is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:03 PM
  #888
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,678
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Yes. A good game for Redden is him not making one or two egregious mistakes. He's not anything close to a reliable top 4 defenseman that is going to be close to mistake-free defensively against quality competition in the playoffs. Which is the only thing the Blues need in a top 4 defenseman. He will not be able to provide that stable, rock solid, defensive element on a game to game basis.

The Blues chances for a solid post-season run go up dramatically with a better second pairing defenseman. Unfortunately, they aren't a lot of sellers and the buyers are all looking for the same pieces and raising the costs. It also doesn't help that a potential seller like Winnipeg is now suddenly playing well and much less inclined to move the bodies that are helping fuel their run up the standings, even if they're UFA.

Ron Hainsey is a good example of what could be a really solid addition (his game this season has been described as exactly what I wrote above, "rock solid") but suddenly the Jets are playing well and their GM won't move him unless he gets offered a premium price (which according to the Winnipeg paper is now pegged as a 1st rounder). Their schedule is pretty easy leading up to April 3rd and they could very easily be leading their division by the trade deadline.
I personally don't buy Hainsey being that much of an upgrade over Redden. Hainsey isn't physical, wouldn't play on the PP, might be used on the PK, but that's debatable, maybe Shatty wouldn't play on the PK as much if Hainsey came.

So it comes down to even strength, and if Redden continues to play mistake free hockey like he has, Hainsey won't really improve us. IMO Redden has only been bad during the horrific stretch that the entire team had.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:07 PM
  #889
Corn Baller
Registered User
 
Corn Baller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Would you trade Neal for Jackman?
I've always thought that Orpik was a better player than Jackman (whom I also really like), but to answer your question: No, not straight up.

I don't know enough (read: anything) about Pittsburgh's prospect pool, so I just suggested a trade based on those two.

Corn Baller is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:09 PM
  #890
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,005
vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I would do something more around Despres and one of their LHD surplus they have in their system like Morrow that are ready. Maybe a top six for Bennett, Despres, and Morrow/Demoulin/Samuelsson deal. We'd be set for the next 5 years on LHD and have partners for both Pietro and Shatty. Bennett looks like a potential top 6 player as well. You ask why the Pens would do this? they just lost a couple prospects of theirs do to a surplus and they signed elsewhere. They are flooded with defensive NHL ready prospects.
The most we could likely get out of Pittsburgh would be Després, 1st and a project prospect like Oskar Sundqvist.

They aren't giving up their only real cost controlled winger with top-6 upside when they have raises to Letang and Malkin coming up, and there is no way they move both Morrow and Després in the 1 deal. They have plenty of defensive prospects, but some are much closer than others and Morrow, Després and Harrington are the best ones at this point.

Zero interest in giving up Stewart though.

Alklha is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:22 PM
  #891
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
The most we could likely get out of Pittsburgh would be Després, 1st and a project prospect like Oskar Sundqvist.

They aren't giving up their only real cost controlled winger with top-6 upside when they have raises to Letang and Malkin coming up, and there is no way they move both Morrow and Després in the 1 deal. They have plenty of defensive prospects, but some are much closer than others and Morrow, Després and Harrington are the best ones at this point.

Zero interest in giving up Stewart though.
Not Stewart, but a cost controlled winger like Perron. You might be surprised. They had to trade Lovejoy for one. There have been more they had to move. Just a thought. You may be surprised for the right piece of the puzzle for them.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:26 PM
  #892
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex
 
TheOrganist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I personally don't buy Hainsey being that much of an upgrade over Redden. Hainsey isn't physical, wouldn't play on the PP, might be used on the PK, but that's debatable, maybe Shatty wouldn't play on the PK as much if Hainsey came.

So it comes down to even strength, and if Redden continues to play mistake free hockey like he has, Hainsey won't really improve us. IMO Redden has only been bad during the horrific stretch that the entire team had.
Well, I really disagree with that take since Redden hasn't been anywhere close to mistake-free.

And more significantly, if you swapped Redden into Hainsey's role this season with Winnipeg and Redden was forced to play almost 24 minutes a night against excellent competition as a result of injuries to Winnipeg's top 4 d-men there is no way Redden, at this stage in his career, would be able to handle that workload and responsibility.

Hainsey has had a really excellent year defensively at even strength and he plays over 3 mins a game on the PK. He would be a fairly large upgrade if he plays for the Blues like he 's done for the Jets this year.

TheOrganist is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:27 PM
  #893
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,678
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Well, I really disagree with that take since Redden hasn't been anywhere close to mistake-free.

And more significantly, if you swapped Redden into Hainsey's role this season with Winnipeg and Redden was forced to play almost 24 minutes a night against excellent competition as a result of injuries to Winnipeg's top 4 d-men there is no way Redden, at this stage in his career, would be able to handle that workload and responsibility.

Hainsey has had a really excellent year defensively at even strength and he plays over 3 mins a game on the PK. He would be a fairly large upgrade if he plays for the Blues like he 's done for the Jets this year.
We don't need someone to play 24+ minutes though, so who cares about how Redden would perform in Hainsey's role.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:39 PM
  #894
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,005
vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Not Stewart, but a cost controlled winger like Perron. You might be surprised. They had to trade Lovejoy for one. There have been more they had to move. Just a thought. You may be surprised for the right piece of the puzzle for them.
Després, Bennett and Morrow is their equivalent of Schwartz, Jaškin & Rattie. I'm sure that the Penguins will give up a lot in the right deal, and I would listen to their offer for Perron, and it might be more than I expect... but it won't be that much more!

I think the Penguins are a pretty risky trade partner though. If we are sure about Després, then I'll happily take Després+... but we could get someone more proven for the asset cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
We don't need someone to play 24+ minutes though, so who cares about how Redden would perform in Hainsey's role.
Once we are in the playoffs it does become more difficult to play the protection game with our defensemen. We are getting by with Redden, and he is doing well in the role being asked of him. Ideally, we need to add someone before the deadline if we are really serious about a Cup run this year.

Alklha is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:45 PM
  #895
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,678
vCash: 130
If we can't resign Stewart, Bennett and Despres/Morrow for Stewart could make sense at the draft, but I don't know if Pittsburgh would do it though.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
  #896
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Després, Bennett and Morrow is their equivalent of Schwartz, Jaškin & Rattie. I'm sure that the Penguins will give up a lot in the right deal, and I would listen to their offer for Perron, and it might be more than I expect... but it won't be that much more!

I think the Penguins are a pretty risky trade partner though. If we are sure about Després, then I'll happily take Després+... but we could get someone more proven for the asset cost.
I agree with you, but we would have cost controlled assets for a few years too that would help us out with the budget contraints we will have. Hopefully between two of the D in the deal and Edmundson, we will get two of our top 4 to pan out as partners with Pietro and Shatty.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:16 PM
  #897
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,678
vCash: 130
Armstrong, McDonald, and 2 scouts are at the Buffalo/Montreal game. Probably scouting some of the rentals that Buffalo has.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:31 PM
  #898
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Probably evaluating Robyn Regehr if they're looking at Buffalo. UFA, prorated 4M is less than a million. 2d round pick is probably the most Buffalo would get, plus maybe a conditional middle pick if Regehr re-signs with his acquiring team.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:32 PM
  #899
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 12,961
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Armstrong, McDonald, and 2 scouts are at the Buffalo/Montreal game. Probably scouting some of the rentals that Buffalo has.
FWIW St. Louis scouts have been in attendance at the last three, maybe more, Buffalo games, as they were noticed in Buffalo on Saturday, DC on Sunday and now today in Montreal .. but then again, there's the GM meetings in Toronto tomorrow and this is one of the closest games for early arrivals seeing that the Leafs don't play tonight.

Woodhouse is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:33 PM
  #900
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,678
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Probably evaluating Robyn Regehr if they're looking at Buffalo. UFA, prorated 4M is less than a million. 2d round pick is probably the most Buffalo would get, plus maybe a conditional middle pick if Regehr re-signs with his acquiring team.
Or Leopold. Leopold better fits with the other players we have shown interest in.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.