HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

NBC poised to finish February sweeps in 5th place, behind Univision

Old
02-21-2013, 09:00 PM
TMC1982

vCash: 500
NBC poised to finish February sweeps in 5th place, behind Univision

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/nbc-...-to-univision/

More bad news for the Peacock.

TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:37 PM
MJG

This may sound dumb, but what the hell is Univision?

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:38 PM
MJG

Googled it. Ignore my previous post. Good for Univision I guess.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:39 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
This may sound dumb, but what the hell is Univision?
Spanish speaking channel that I would say pretty much everyone in the states gets.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I don't really like any of their shows, but even I get the sense that it seems like they cancel what is somewhat watchable and premiere shows that will inevitably be bad and get cancelled.

It's like their doing it on purpose.

Naych_PHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Behn Wilson

Majority of posters on the message board on the link above say that NBC is forcing a liberal agenda into their shows/news and is turning off half of their potential viewership. Dont watch enough NBC to know whether this is true or not, (except on SNL where the pro liberal propaganda is a blatant turnoff and I am not a political zealot).

Personally I thought it was a combo of most of their shows sucking, going on the cheap with too much reality and game show programming, and the Jay Leno fiasco alienating a good portion of their audience. I know I cant watch two seconds of Jay Leno anymore and he is an instant channel changer for me, even on a commericial he annoys that much.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Looking at the list, shows I watch on NBC: Community which they seem to have ruined by getting rid of the old writer, Go On which is the best new sitcom this season, The Office which is done this season, 30 Rock which is already done, and Parks & Rec. So overall, that's pretty bad going into next season with just Go On and Parks & Rec, dunno what will happen with Community.

I would've watched the show after Leno since that timeslot's better for late night imo but they ruined it by picking Jimmy Fallon and putting him in that spot. He's just not funny especially in comparison to Ferguson who's on at the same time.

The rest of the show seems to be mainly reality or no substance. I don't watch dramas much tbh but I don't see a single good one on there, even the CW is better for that. And they've managed to prop up poor comedies like Up All Night, Whitney, and Guys With Kids past their expiry date.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:32 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
Majority of posters on the message board on the link above say that NBC is forcing a liberal agenda into their shows/news and is turning off half of their potential viewership. Dont watch enough NBC to know whether this is true or not, (except on SNL where the pro liberal propaganda is a blatant turnoff and I am not a political zealot).
lol.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:42 PM
17futurecap

They basically live off The Voice and the NFL. It really helped Go On and New Normal to follow the Voice, but those shows ratings wise have gone in the tank now that The Voice is over.

Also, they got good ratings NBC wise for Revolution, then went on a really long hiatus.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Behn Wilson

I have a feeling their option to go high on low cost / reality tv means that their profit margin isnt as bad as the ratings may indicate.

They are sacrificing quality for profitability.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:02 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Yeah, I don't think I watch anything on NBC except football and hockey when it's on.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
They should make me a TV executive, ratings will quadruple in a month.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:34 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Also, they got good ratings NBC wise for Revolution, then went on a really long hiatus.
Revolution started interesting enough but my friends and I aren't really sure we care when it does come back. There is so much focus on one character who is hard to like and there really aren't a whole lot of answers or even seeming like they're trying to answer anything.

It's like sometimes they have good ideas, but they have no idea how to go about with PR and keeping it alive. Or they keep it alive until it is beyond dead.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:26 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I enjoy Biggest Loser, but that's about it.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
I have a feeling their option to go high on low cost / reality tv means that their profit margin isnt as bad as the ratings may indicate.

They are sacrificing quality for profitability.
It's sort of like ABC years ago when they were running Who Wants to be a Millionaire about five days a weeks because they had nothing else. But I think NBC is potentially worse right now.

The main problem they have is a bunch of series that are niche shows and belong on cable. This might not have been a big issue 10+ years ago but with cable stations venturing into their own programming and the internet continuing to evolve, ratings are an even bigger deal. NBC needs to have more well rounded programming if they actually want to be relevant again.

The once touted Thursday night lineup has been turned into an utter joke the past few years. Shows like Parks and Rec and Community have their followers here but in general, those shows aren't drawing flies. Community wasn't drawing squat before they changed writers either. 30 Rock was able to last awhile due to good critical acclaim and frankly being on a terrible network. Which is ironic because Arrested Development wasn't able to survive on a stronger network and is better than those three shows combined.

The Office has been their biggest hit sitcom since Friends(?) and had a peak of maybe two years. The fact it's still their number one show on Thursday after nine years is sad.

Edit: I'm also waiting for someone to mention how people are stupid because they prefer laugh tracks > single cam. I don't give a damn what a show does as long as it's funny and I've enjoyed both.

But watching one or the other doesn't make you nor the show better.

Last edited by Reality Check: 02-22-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Spanish speaking channel that I would say pretty much everyone in the states gets.
I never had it until I moved to LA. Mind you Montana, Pittsburgh, and Central Pennsylvania aren't exactly loaded with Spanish speakers.

I mean...good for Univision, but what their ratings are are rather irrelevant to the big four since they're not going for the same audience.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:55 AM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I never had it until I moved to LA. Mind you Montana, Pittsburgh, and Central Pennsylvania aren't exactly loaded with Spanish speakers.

I mean...good for Univision, but what their ratings are are rather irrelevant to the big four since they're not going for the same audience.
Ahhh, that's interesting, I just assumed everyone got it since I always had it in NJ.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:57 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

But here is the thing. From a financial point of view they are one of the most profitable in the Business structure they have for their entire network of channels

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:16 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Anything on NBC not named Community is garbage. Serves them right.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:30 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Pretty much don't watch tv anymore, the big networks lost my interest when they spent more time on "reality" shows then anything else.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:32 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Pretty much don't watch tv anymore, the big networks lost my interest when they spent more time on "reality" shows then anything else.
Reality TV shows are more of a cable network issue than the big broadcast networks. As bad as NBC is, it'll never get to the level of TruTV, TLC, or History Channel.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:35 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Reality TV shows are more of a cable network issue than the big broadcast networks. As bad as NBC is, it'll never get to the level of TruTV, TLC, or History Channel.
It's just as bad on the networks with The Voice, the Bachlor/ette, American Idol, X Factor, Big Brother, the Amazing Race (only thing that is somewhat interesting because I like to travel), etc.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:56 AM
theotis77

That decision to take their most popular show (Revolution) off the air for several months for no apparent reason is mind mind-bogglingly stupid. But, that's kind of par for the course with NBC.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Pattysaurus

Other than FX, NBC is the channel I watch most for shows: The Office, Parks and Recreation and Revolution. They really screwed up with the last one. It was their most successful drama in a while and they put it on such a long hiatus that it will likely shrink its audience.

Pattysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:08 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Anything on NBC not named Community is garbage. Serves them right.
Uh, Parks?