HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

TSN SportsCentre backlash

Old
02-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 500
TSN SportsCentre backlash

This still happens today. So sad.

Also, I'm appalled at the lack of knowledge demonstrated by so many people. For example, both of them (GA for sure) are from South Asia (Indian subcontinent), yet people call them Arabs.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...134034332.html

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 1018
Really disrespectful, but this is what happens when everyone gets to voice their opinion with no consequences. People can be idiots.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:02 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 73
i suspect this thread will be watched carefully

being from canada-- not every city reflects TO and vancity in their cultural make up and shared multicultural view

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

urgh, damn oxygen thieves.

Why do people gotta be racist? I don't get it.

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
This still happens today. So sad.

Also, I'm appalled at the lack of knowledge demonstrated by so many people. For example, both of them (GA for sure) are from South Asia (Indian subcontinent), yet people call them Arabs.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...134034332.html
If I had to guess, I would say Nabil Karim is of Pakistani descent? That said, I have no idea.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:11 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Don't really see a problem with many of those tweets. Seems like a lot of presumed presumed racism.

Somebody pointed out somebody else's ethnicity! And maybe they were even wrong about it! They must be racist!

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

being from canada-- not every city reflects TO and vancity in their cultural make up and shared multicultural view
I'm sure there are lots of racists in Toronto and Vancouver as well. Do you think there is something special about those cities, like there are no idiots there or something?

Old
02-20-2013, 08:14 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

Halifax does

But really, people who post things like that should automatically have any and all computer privileges revoked. I don't care if you're joking or not, there is absolutely no need to say things like that. It's not "funny" or "cool" or "edgy".. it's downright disrespectful and should be banished from this world.

People need to grow up and accept that there are other races and cultures in this world.

George Maharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Don't really see a problem with many of those tweets. Seems like a lot of presumed presumed racism.

Somebody pointed out somebody else's ethnicity! And maybe they were even wrong about it! They must be racist!
I actually agree with you....I took a quick look at the link, and you've got to be kidding me if some of those are racist...i mean, if some of those are racist than Russel Peters is the biggest racist in history.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

That is a shame. One of the things I love about Vancouver is being able to be exposed to so many unique cultures. Hopefully we can avoid those type of comments with continued education and exposure of other countries. BTW, I thought both of those anchors have done a great job on TSN so far.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:

If you were in India and turned on their sports station and saw two white people talking about cricket, I suspect you would see some interesting responses too.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:22 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:

I thought most of them were pretty tame, too. At least the ones embedded in that article.

02-20-2013, 08:24 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I actually agree with you....I took a quick look at the link, and you've got to be kidding me if some of those are racist...i mean, if some of those are racist than Russel Peters is the biggest racist in history.
Bit of a difference when you're talking about your OWN race/culture... and let's also take into account that these folks are not professional comedians who are, when it comes down to it, performing a set.

Quote:

Really? Take a look at Dome Beers tweet... pretty sure neither of Gurdeep and Nabil are Korean, so how could one of them be "Harold"..?

And the Dayne Phillips tweet... referring to a race/culture by the guy who oppressed a nation neither are a part of for decades.. Also, Osama and Saddam aren't even from the same region they're making fun of.. Osama being from Saudi Arabia and Saddam from Iraq, neither of which are India/Pakistan.

You cannot generalize a person's race/culture by the shade of their skin.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Finnish your Czech
I love Olli Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I'm sure there are lots of racists in Toronto and Vancouver as well. Do you think there is something special about those cities, like there are no idiots there or something?
Since there is a much larger percentage of visible minorities, then I would assume that people are more used to having them around, so less racism would occur.

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
If you were in India and turned on their sports station and saw two white people talking about cricket, I suspect you would see some interesting responses too.
They do see them... like every day.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:37 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
Really? Take a look at Dome Beers tweet... pretty sure neither of Gurdeep and Nabil are Korean, so how could one of them be "Harold"..?

And the Dayne Phillips tweet... referring to a race/culture by the guy who oppressed a nation neither are a part of for decades.. Also, Osama and Saddam aren't even from the same region they're making fun of.. Osama being from Saudi Arabia and Saddam from Iraq, neither of which are India/Pakistan.

You cannot generalize a person's race/culture by the shade of their skin.
Failed humour and poor geographical knowledge don't really strike me as racism.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Who cares? Oh no the world isn't perfect and everything isn't daisies, love and rainbows.

One suspects the author of that article and many of the people in here are just learning that for the first time.

I don't really care if this comes off as rude but a few tweets by a bunch of nobodies isn't something I'm going to get upset over.

Now if say... someone influential said something like that and wasn't forced to apologize in the aftermath - I might care because then there's a serious problem.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
That's pretty sad actually.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:43 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Failed humour and poor geographical knowledge don't really strike me as racism.
I understand what you're saying, and that I can agree with... but the fact that they're generalizing all these countries as one specific thing IS racism.

I guess it just comes down to ignorance, and we can leave it at that.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:58 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
People are idiots, yup.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Dave Karp

I knew who the author would be before I even opened that link. He's known for making mountains out of molehills. Are the tweets racially sensitive? Of course not. But pointing out that two people hosting a sports program from non-traditional ethnic backgrounds is not "racist" per se. I think most of the tweets were meant to be jokes (not that they were remotely funny) but people are getting upset over nothing. They're ignorant. It's not new.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:04 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karp View Post
I knew who the author would be before I even opened that link. He's known for making mountains out of molehills. Are the tweets racially sensitive? Of course not. But pointing out that two people hosting a sports program from non-traditional ethnic backgrounds is not "racist" per se. I think most of the tweets were meant to be jokes (not that they were remotely funny) but people are getting upset over nothing. They're ignorant. It's not new.
Are you saying the tweeters are ignorant or the people getting upset over the tweets?

Old
02-20-2013, 09:07 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
I understand what you're saying, and that I can agree with... but the fact that they're generalizing all these countries as one specific thing IS racism.

I guess it just comes down to ignorance, and we can leave it at that.
Yeah, don't know why you would generalize because of the guys names or looks. I assume most of the commentators on TSN(no matter what color/sex etc)are paid talking heads anyways, who may be anything from casual observers to serious fans, not necessarily the worlds greatest hockey gurus.

That said most of the "offensive comments" seem pretty tame to me. Meanwhile, why don't we all search HF boards threads for every time someone brings up Lazy/selfish/bad attitude Russian(s)and then we can talk.

One post I found here was particularly galling; started off the thread talking about how the OP was afraid the new player would be a lazy, selfish Russian, but so far had seemed to be turning out well instead. I decided not to call him out(Being as I wasn't a regular on that particular team's section)

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karp View Post
I rarely ever start a thread. Do you care to provide some examples?

I guess I hold people to too high of a standard these days. People are racists, but they don't even do it right these days because they are so misinformed.

EDIT: I thought you were referring to me. Never mind.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:35 PM
40oz

Me and my super white friends all gave ourselves a collective pat on the back for not noticing this yesterday.

Progress!

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote