HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What to do with Regier?

View Poll Results: What to do with Regier?
Fire him now! 24 25.00%
Fire if they do not make the playoffs at end of season 25 26.04%
Keep him 47 48.96%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-21-2013, 07:44 AM
ohheyimmark

vCash: 500
There are so many big decisions coming up this summer.

(1) New coach
(2) Extensions for Miller/Vanek/Pominville (or trading them at the deadline next year)
(3) Trade deadline/sell options this year
(4) Amnesty buyouts (if any are used)
(5) Filling whatever holes are left (3C, finding a spot for Grigorenko, fixing the D)

I'm not sure Darcy is the right man to make those decisions.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:47 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
You could do a lot worse than Darcy Regier. That said, this season has been a train wreck and he has overseen it. If this coaching change doesn't move things forward, he's got to go. I'll definitely be pulling for this team to turn it around though.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
I'm generally a Regier supporter but at this point I want him to go for a few reasons.

I'd like a new GM to come in and strip some of the team down. It seems strange to want to get rid of a defensively responsible forward on a team with so few but Jason Pomminville has to go, and I'm one of his biggest fans. The guy may be one of the most emotional guys in the locker room for all we know but he lacks any sort of character on ice. He isn't Nick Lidstrom, he isn't the smartest player in the game and he doesn't play mistake free in fact he makes a lot of mistakes. If he's leading by example out there I'm not sure the team will ever look like they give a damn.

I think a lot of the spare parts that have been held onto because they are Regier projects need to go. Gerbe is useless in his current role, maybe Rolston can fix that but he's redundant. I'd rather have McCormick up than him. Stafford is too inconsistent to be a key part of this team.

And as amazing as Vanek is playing he's not a guy I build around as a key offensive figure for the simple fact that his body breaks down so easily. Even if he was a consistent 82pts a season player you can't go into the playoffs every year not knowing if he's going to tweak something and be useless for those 4-7 games. Already this season you can see that something is bothering him physically.

As much as I like Regier's drafting in the later rounds he has dropped the ball many times in the 1st. To come out and say you want to get tougher in 2004 and turn around and draft Zagrapan, Persson and Brennan (very early 2nd) in consecutive drafts is laughable and set the team's prospect pool back significantly. Persson and Brennan were 10-15 pick reaches and Zagrapan was the complete opposite of what the team needed. Kyle Woodlief was Zagrapan's biggest supporter and even he questioned the pick. For a team that has missed the playoffs as much a Buffalo we've never had more than a middle of the pack prospect pool for over a decade.

I'd get a new GM in here to clean the slate, trade away players that wont be around to help the team in 3-4 years and take advantage of the 2013 and 2015 draft especially. Buffalo will hopefully have a chance at 1-5 this year and I'm scared at keeping Regier past this season because Buffalo should be targeting a top pick in 2014 and McDavid in 2015. By then if Grigorenko, Girgensons and Armia develop properly along with Hodgson you should be able to plug Seth Jones or McKinnon in and have a playoff team again by 2015. This doesn't need to be a long drawn out rebuild like Edmonton, but I'm scared if we keep Regier around he will throw together a mediocre to decent team for a quick exit next year to save his job, ultimately get fired and blow our chance at a good 2014 and 2015 draft pick.

Basically I'm worried if we keep Regier he will be told to make the playoffs at all costs. There's no quick fix to turn this team into a contender by next year and I'd hope a new GM would be given the benefit to take advantage of the very strong drafts coming up. I think the long term bad Regier can do to this team outweighs the short term good.

Last edited by Moskau: 02-21-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:35 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...urke-as-scout/

I wonder if the Sabres are inquiring about making Burke a scout....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:38 AM
aceface33

If the Sabres were actually trying to make the playoffs this year, Regier failed miserably. He never adequately replaced Gaustad, leaving the team without a 3rd line, defensively minded center. Even the second line of Ennis, Foligno, and Stafford just showed a short period of brilliance last year and were pretty unproven. You could tell looking at the team on paper over the summer that it was going to be a trainwreck. If Pegula and Black were actually expecting Regier to build a playoff team this year he has to be fired.

If this is instead supposed to be the middle of a rebuild, then I'm fine with it. Keep acquiring talent and picks.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:43 AM

saying a GM is fired because he misses the playoffs is stupid, if Darcy needed the playoffs he could trade Girgensons, Grigorenko, Pysyk, and other young players today and become a playoff team.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Jason Pomminville has to go, and I'm one of his biggest fans. The guy may be one of the most emotional guys in the locker room for all we know but he lacks any sort of character on ice. He isn't Nick Lidstrom, he isn't the smartest player in the game and he doesn't play mistake free in fact he makes a lot of mistakes. If he's leading by example out there I'm not sure the team will ever look like they give a damn.
Pominville has had a handful of bad games which usually is "**** all over him with stupid HE'S NOT A LEADER AND HIS INTERVIEWS ARE BORING stuff" time, got it.

sba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:48 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Mark Masters @markhmasters
Rolston on adjustment: 'I don't think you can change who you are ... but you certainly have to be flexible'

Now where is that Regier quote on change?

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Keep him for another couple years. I like his drafting, trading, and a majority of his FA signings. Change isn't always good. We could do A LOT worse than Regier.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:54 AM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Keep him for another couple years. I like his drafting, trading, and a majority of his FA signings. Change isn't always good. We could do A LOT worse than Regier.
But it's this mentality that can prevent change. That's why Ruff stuck around so long.

If you're scared to change and to take risks you'll never know what could have been...

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
But it's this mentality that can prevent change. That's why Ruff stuck around so long.

If you're scared to change and to take risks you'll never know what could have been...
I'd say firing the longest tenured coach in the league is a pretty big change.

Change is good if it has potential improvements. Change for the sake of change can be a faulty move, and set this organization back further.

I think Regier has done a good job with this rebuild. He's bringing in his own change. He's been far more aggressive than in the past and he just fired the longest tenured NHL coach because, as he said, they had a different view on the direction of this team.

I truly believe Regier can build a contender...

Old
02-21-2013, 12:15 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I'd say firing the longest tenured coach in the league is a pretty big change.

Change is good if it has potential improvements. Change for the sake of change can be a faulty move, and set this organization back further.

I think Regier has done a good job with this rebuild. He's bringing in his own change. He's been far more aggressive than in the past and he just fired the longest tenured NHL coach because, as he said, they had a different view on the direction of this team.

I truly believe Regier can build a contender...
He may have administered the termination, but I don't buy that he had much of a choice.

It's too bad that we'll probably never know for sure, but I think his back was against the wall.

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
He may have administered the termination, but I don't buy that he had much of a choice.

It's too bad that we'll probably never know for sure, but I think his back was against the wall.
Yea, we'll never know...

Old
02-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Pominville has had a handful of bad games which usually is "**** all over him with stupid HE'S NOT A LEADER AND HIS INTERVIEWS ARE BORING stuff" time, got it.
The team has done so great with him as captain.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Squantosawuss

Darcy is SO MUCH a part of the old guard, that I cannot understand how ANYONE thinks it's reasonable to allow him to mold this team at all moving into the future, particularly the hiring of a new coach.

This is a guy who constantly gets stuck in the mud unless a situation becomes so dire that changes are being screamed for. NO DOUBT he was highly pressured into firing Ruff. He says it was his decision ultimately, but let's all imagine how things would've gone for Darcy had he not decided to fire Ruff, contrary to what HIS higher ups obviously wanted.

It's going to be a tricky balancing act for Black, Sawyer & Pegula to proceed in their coaching search/evaluation with a guy, Darcy, who is likely also on the verge of being replaced replaced.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Darcy was going all-in on the F-E-S line because they had a good stretch of 14 games together and built a team with a bunch of forwards that can't play defense. Now his excuse is that FES aren't performing..

Fire this bum

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
If you can stomach Bucky and have access to TBN, this interview from a week ago is most appropriate.

Video: Boston Globe's Kevin Paul Dupont compares Regier situation to Sinden

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
He needs to go.

02-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Reddawg

Keep him for at least another year...most of the moves he's made in the Pegula era have been clear positives.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Ace1963

If Regier was going to be fired, it would have been yesterday.
He's the GM of Buffalo and Rochester. The fact that he merely called up the minor league coach to run out the string of this season suggests that he's been given the green light to gut the roster of the "problem children", which I hope he does. Whatever else you think of him, he is wily, and could get lots of prospects and draft picks.

The team as presently constituted isn't going anywhere.

Ace1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1963 View Post
The team as presently constituted isn't going anywhere.
I'm not sure I agree with this, the talent is there and the makeup of the team is solid. I believe this group of players can be coached into success.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Girgenburger

When nobody's looking over his shoulder and telling him what to do, I think Darcy is an absolute wizard. I like that he never shows his cards. You don't ever know what he's going to do, but then he surprises you.

None of us saw the Hodgson deal coming.

We got a freaking 1st for Goose and a 4th.

Traded next to nothing to get Ehrhoff's rights.

Brought in Regehr for our scraps. Ask Calgary fans how Paul Byron and Chris Butler are doing.

I want to see what else he's got in his bag of tricks when there's not some ****** above him dictating his every move. Give him another shot to build a winner. I think he can.

Girgenburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Moskau

And almost on cue there are rumblings that McPhee may have been given the green light to auction off some of the Capitals.

I'm hoping with Rolston having a second opinion than Lindy that Darcy (or hopefully someone else) may be given the same opportunity.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:06 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Wanted him fired like 5 or 6 years ago...I was calling for his head then, and I still am....

FIRE D'ARSE !

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
When nobody's looking over his shoulder and telling him what to do, I think Darcy is an absolute wizard. I like that he never shows his cards. You don't ever know what he's going to do, but then he surprises you.

None of us saw the Hodgson deal coming.

We got a freaking 1st for Goose and a 4th.

Traded next to nothing to get Ehrhoff's rights.

Brought in Regehr for our scraps. Ask Calgary fans how Paul Byron and Chris Butler are doing.

I want to see what else he's got in his bag of tricks when there's not some ****** above him dictating his every move. Give him another shot to build a winner. I think he can.
The problem with all this is that he'll do something great, then sit on it. Yeah, he traded Gaustad for a good return, but who replaced him? Roy got us Ott, which was also fine. Who replaced Roy? He steals a car and then drives it around for 6 months without anyone seeing or hearing from him. Patience is fine, but he waits far too long after his deals before doing anything else.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote