OHL - The Tavares Rule?

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Brock

vCash: 500
OHL - The Tavares Rule?

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/news_story.asp?id=119211

Looks like the OHL is scared that they could lose this potentially immense talent to the US developmental programs.

I actually really like this idea, letting the bottom 4 teams to select 14 year olds in a seperate round. This Tavares kid sounds like he can really play so why not give him a chance.

On a side note, I had no idea he was from Oakville....lol so the kid gets in my good books right off the bat.

Old
03-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
It would just mean he and select 14 year olds could be drafted, but they'd still have to turn 16 before they could play. I think that the specific rule is pretty stupid. Why only allow 4 kids to be drafted a year ahead? They aren't think about the draft after where the best 1990 born kids will then be gone.

And since only the top 4 picks have a shot at it, some teams may take chances on younger players that may be not actually deserve/should go that early. Teams will take a 14 year who could be a top pick next draft a 1st to 4th overall, even though their talent would suggest they should go at the end of the 1st round or later.

Let all or none be eligible.

Old
03-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Boomhower

Technically can't Tavares play in the OHL next year anyways, it would just have to be for his hometown team? (or team closest to him)

ala Spezza (Brampton) and Fata (Sault Ste. Marie) playing in the league before ever getting drafted, or has that rule been changed?

Old
03-22-2005, 08:27 PM
ktownhockey

Yes, Tavares would be allowed to play in his hometown which someone said earlier is Oakville. BUT they dont have an OHL team. Spezza's family went to Brampton so he could play for them as an underager (15 year old).

Ive seen Tavares play about 6 times this year and he has all the tools to play in the OHL and he's proved this his whole life...

I think out of every two years there is a player capable of playing in the OHL. EG. Patrick Jarrett in his draft year. Spezza and McClement in there draft year. Kirk Muller did it. Lindross could have done it. It's not that far fetched as most of the top 89's this year (draft eligible players) are playing JR.A which is just as physical as the O. The O might have more fights but there is a parallel between the two in that regard. Some Jr. A teams are actually older than their OHL counterparts.

End of the story is this rule would allow the exceptional kids such as Tavares have a chance to play in the OHL at this age without having to move somewhere to play as an underager.

I heard Rob Scremp was thinking about moving up to the Kingston area for the year, in his draft year to play in the OHL as an underager.

It can be done, but only by a select few.. All this rule does is allow the best players to up to their caliber and develop quicker. In Tavares' case this might stop him from migrating south which looks like is the next phenominon for young hockey players in canada.

I say the proposed rule is great and I hope it's insistitued.

Old
03-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
i really doubt tavares would skip town and play in the states. he wants to play in the OHL.

ive seen him play many times. aside from his weasley cheap-shot play (i mean really, who hacks/jumps a goalie from behind with minutes left in a blowout?), the kids great. him and gagner are the top two in the GTHL but Esposito in the Q skates circles around them both

i dont think they should change the rule just for him though. let him play another year in the gthl and get drafted next season. the ohl is just being paranoid.

Old
03-22-2005, 09:38 PM
ktownhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
i really doubt tavares would skip town and play in the states. he wants to play in the OHL.

ive seen him play many times. aside from his weasley cheap-shot play (i mean really, who hacks/jumps a goalie from behind with minutes left in a blowout?), the kids great. him and gagner are the top two in the GTHL but Esposito in the Q skates circles around them both

i dont think they should change the rule just for him though. let him play another year in the gthl and get drafted next season. the ohl is just being paranoid.

I wouldn't say that the OHL is being paranoid as much as they are trying to protect there potential assests. ALSO why not let a kid who can play at the next level go there and develop early. He's an exceptional talent. has more pro upside than gagner and is a year and a bit younger. can't wait to see what happens.

Old
03-23-2005, 01:06 AM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
eh, i think gagner is better of the two

i dont know why none of the news places have brought up the point that next year 16 y/o will be the age limit to be drafted. if thats the case then sure bend the rules for him rather than him be stuck in the GTHL for two more years

hes not ready for the ohl but he kicked the crap outta OHA players when playing for milton this year

Closed Thread