HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus Flyers vs Pens 2/20/13

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Most media members are speculating it will take about 56 points to make the playoffs this year. For the flyers to get in they would need 39 more points with 30 games left. So basically they would need to go 19-10-1 to get in playoffs. Thats gonna be tough for them good chance they dont make it this year.
Firstly, I really don't think that we should be concerning ourselves with whether the Flyers will make it just yet.

Secondly, they're joint on points with the 8th place team. I don't see them missing out. Reckon they'll finish 6th.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:44 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Why do I have feeling that last nights game was the beginning of the end for Dizzy Bryzy. 5 goals on 32 shots and he's what you're counting on?
You must've tuned in late after Maguire repeated like 3 times that Bryzgalov has been their most consistent player. They won the game by the way.

Bryz is a good goalie. I know it's fun to goof on him because he's a weird guy and he plays for the Flyers, but when you dispense with the yinzer crap you come to realize he's a good starter overall.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:45 PM
shizno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Firstly, I really don't think that we should be concerning ourselves with whether the Flyers will make it just yet.

Secondly, they're joint on points with the 8th place team. I don't see them missing out. Reckon they'll finish 6th.
With 3 more GP than those who are in that 8th bubble

Old
02-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizno View Post
With 3 more GP than those who are in that 8th bubble
Games in hand mean nothing at this point. It's about the games near the end.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the regards of those games in hand though.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:51 PM
FlightlessBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
as was Rinaldo blatantly trying to take Engelland's head off when he was in a vulnerable position.

About halfway in. Still not sure how I feel about it.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Florentino Ariza

Chris Shafer, it is possible that we don't play well when teams play us physically, but are you telling me that every team in the NHL doesn't try to play every game physically? Or are you just saying that the Flyers play so well physically that the Pens can't handle it?

Two, there is a big difference between a physical game affecting your passes/ composure with the puck, and getting up after a big hit and taking a stupid penalty or just generally losing your cool. I've seen more of the latter specifically against the Flyers in the past year.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:05 PM
shizno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Games in hand mean nothing at this point. It's about the games near the end.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the regards of those games in hand though.
What? The teams they are playing in April are teams that won't be fighting for that last spot (Montreal/Jersey/Boston etc). Hell, I can't see them getting points from them. This is all assuming that they have even truely 'righted the ship' also.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:06 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
Chris Shafer, it is possible that we don't play well when teams play us physically, but are you telling me that every team in the NHL doesn't try to play every game physically? Or are you just saying that the Flyers play so well physically that the Pens can't handle it?

Two, there is a big difference between a physical game affecting your passes/ composure with the puck, and getting up after a big hit and taking a stupid penalty or just generally losing your cool. I've seen more of the latter specifically against the Flyers in the past year.
Yeah I agree with what you're saying. We have a problem brushing it off and fighting through it, which is different than the Flyers just being so overbearing physically.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:40 PM
ericstrat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
+ crosby. only one point???

- malkin. what the crap dude? dumb penalty. almost non-existant in the game

we need to get some discipline before the playoffs start. we have a great team, but need to stay focused all of the game. not just the first and last 5 minutes of it.
This board has a weird case of Anti-Malkin dementia. He scored two goals- the snowbrains in Toronto couldn't figure out that the glove behind the post counts. And an assist and had several other good chances. But that's "almost (sic) non-existant."

Old
02-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
He wears the "A" for a reason. I didn't see anywhere where he was throwing anyone under the bus. "We" seems to be the tone set.
Well, basically he called guys out for being undisciplined / allowing themselves to be goaded into penalties, etc... but that only flies when the game of the person who is talking, is good. Orpik sucked last night. Maybe worse than everyone not named Vokoun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Flyer fans have infiltrated every level of our national infrastructure, they must be eradicated.

Chaos seems to ensue even in HFB threads between our fans. As long as Shafer & Co keep it constructive and friendly I'm OK with it. Otherwise I am in zero-warning / infract immediately mode right now, and will be anytime we play them win or lose. In general if you guys see someone who is blatantly trolling / being a dewsh, PM me or one of the other mods with a link to the thread page in question and we'll get to it as quick as we can. Always tougher on weekdays but the Power of Joe will prevail.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:43 PM
metalan2

The Flyers will make the playoffs 100% guaranteed. Stop fooling yourselves. Worry about the road in front of us, not them.

We should have won yesterdays game as we should of the playoff series. We need to fix why we lose to them, and we all know why we do. The worst goaltending possible, and irresponsible play.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
The Flyers will make the playoffs 100% guaranteed. Stop fooling yourselves. Worry about the road in front of us, not them.

We should have won yesterdays game as we should of the playoff series. We need to fix why we lose to them, and we all know why we do. The worst goaltending possible, and irresponsible play.
If the Flyers, Devils and Bruins don't make the playoffs and the Hawks-Blues conference final turns into Mutant League Hockey, Pens got **** wrapped up.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:56 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
If the Flyers, Devils and Bruins don't make the playoffs and the Hawks-Blues conference final turns into Mutant League Hockey, Pens got **** wrapped up.
So you're saying there's a chance?

Old
02-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Frederick Stanley
Shirai Ryu

What the hell does Lavio say to his players when he calls a timeout? He's a ****ing magician.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

I'm kind of looking at it like this: if Vokoun is even average by his standards last night the Pens win that game nine times out of ten. If Fleury plays and is even average, the Pens win that game nine times out of ten.

It doesn't make me feel any better about all of the after the whistle retaliatory shenanigans and the other issues and they certainly have a long way to go until they're playoff ready, but I'm not going to melt down over a regular season game. I'll re-assess after the trade deadline comes and goes. Obviously they're capable of beating the Flyers, they did it in the first game of the season and they looked good doing it. I'd be way more worried about drawing NJ in the playoffs than I would be Philly.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
What the hell does Lavio say to his players when he calls a timeout? He's a ****ing magician.
Didn't the Pens score like 30 seconds after he called his time out last night?

Old
02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Timeouts are easily the most overrated aspect of "turning things around"

TV timeouts last two minutes, not 30 seconds. Technically, every time that happens a game should turnaround for whichever team is playing poorly at the moment.

Old
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Didn't the Pens score like 30 seconds after he called his time out last night?
Yeah. That time out did nothing. Yet Pierre and others still harped on it, acting like it did

Old
stardog

I simply cnt believe the amount of vitriol being spewed about Malkin and Letang in this thread. Just as I am having a difficult time with the Martin lovefest.
Yes, Malkin took another I'll advised penalty and no this wasn't his bestgame by a long shot....but really people?
In watching the game for the second time, I'll stand by my assessment of Sutter and perhaps Bennet as the only + players while the ones getting all of the superlatives (Crosby played "great"? I think we've all seen him play great and last night for damn sure doesn't fall into that category.... Martin and the Norris????) are two of my biggest minuses.
Meanwhile, for all the scrutiny Malkin received for his game, I am certainly not seeing passed on to the others. Talk about Martin looking lost (and losing Simmons) on Wayne's first goal. Or about the two great opportunities where he made a wise decision to jump into the play only to have his shot miss the net? Or doing little but standing around on the 4th?
And yes, I also realise that his shot on the point was converted into a goal by Malkin.
Or the several times where he turned it over in the defensive zone or even how he let his man get away from him only to stand right in front of TV and get a quality scoring chance.
Yet we nitpick on Letang, who made several skillful plays in moving the puck out of danger, who shot the puck on the net and yes, who was very good on the PK. And yes, he was definitely goaded into a dumb penalty for certain.
What about Sid's game? I've read about Malkins turnover leading to a breakaway yet I've failed to read about Sid doing the exact same thing which led to a 3 on 1 only four minutes into the game? Or about his several other turnovers both even strength and with the man advantage? Or about how his line failed to create much of anything at even strength yet was on the ice for 3 of the Flyers even strength goals?
All of this isn't said to pick on anybody, just meant to give some perspective of how the blame goes all around yet I'm seeing most of the focus on the undisciplined penalties (of which, the Flyers never scored on btw, even though I realize that isn't the point) or the poor play of a select few while others, apparently played "great".
With the possible exception of B.S. I'm of the opinion that no one played well, and plenty of guys played below what they should.
Put the same microscope on each individual rather than the group mentality speak I'm reading here, which for the most part isn't using the same standards of grading for each individual.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Frederick Stanley
Shirai Ryu

Pens scored because that 4th liner from the Flyers took a bad penalty. After that, Flyers started to play hockey.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
"Keep hitting them boys, they are bound to lose their composure" *Talbot Giggles*

Old
02-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Ugene Malkin
ON THE WAGON TRAIL

Quote:
Go out there and get in their grilles and muck it up. Unfortunately, some of them translate that into trying to take guys out for the season.

Way I see it, is they leave Crosby somewhat go from most of the BS, but they attack Geno/Letang. Geno is still one of our best players and I certainly feel Letangs one of them too. Just because they only have one player that skilled doesn't keep me from targeting him. Lay into him real hard and see what they think about that. I'm talking starting from minute 1 in the game. Put them on the defensive side of the issue.

I remember when Richards was pulling that crap with, Sid. Cooke went up to Richards and said something to him and it stopped immediately. Where's that, Cooke?

I'm sure it wasn't about rainbows and lollipops.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:13 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post

personally i'd put it on 50/50

Philly has turned it around the last week but so has Wsh and Buf just got a new coach and are bound to do the same.

ironically it might be the penguins that hand the flyers a playoff spot due to the fact they ruined ottawa's season who i think will drop out now.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:

You heard right! I said a Baker's Dozen from Tim Horton's every time you draw a penalty from one of their best players... now go earn those doughnuts!

Old
02-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Pancakes

You know as frustrating as last night's loss was, a day later you look at it and it was a last shot wins type of game. If Vokoun doesn't let in that hilarious softie we're just as likely to have come down on Bryz and put our next chance in.

At least we didn't lose by multiple goals as was happening in the playoffs last year. I thought the team showed a lot of character last night, even if we lost. It's not something I've seen often from this team the past few years where it seems like the majority of the time we go down in a game we lose.

It wasn't a well-played game by any means, but the heart was there. And I find that a big thing because it's been rare for this team to display that never say die come back attitude.

Closed Thread