HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Plus/Minus Flyers vs Pens 2/20/13

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 11:58 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
oh god hahaha

Old
02-20-2013, 11:58 PM
turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
That last one, Geno's really been annoying with that stuff. I understand that Couturier cross checking him a half dozen times is probably not the best thing in the world to experience, but he was goading Malkin into retaliating. Malkin should be smart enough to realize that.

I thought Sid looked good, but I didn't think his line played very well. Kunitz, in particular, I thought was trying to be too fancy instead of playing to his strengths.
Geno's had his moments this year that have been frustrating, but he was a horse tonight. Say what you will about +/-, but Sid was -3 tonight. Malkin would be burned at the stake for that on here if he was -3, but he was a plus player with a goal. Sure he took a penalty, but he was by far the better of the two super stars tonight. Crosby mangling that 2-on-1 was just terrible. Sid stunk tonight.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Remember when we used to play the Flyers and they'd pull their BS and yet we'd stay disciplined and end up beating them and handing them their ***** when it mattered??

Yeah. Those times were fun.

Ever since last year both teams look like headcases on the ice IMO. You'd think we'd know enough not to stoop to and get sucked into Philthydelphian style BS.
Agreed.

It actually started out exactly like old times tonight. Pens score, Flyers take a dumb penalty by thugging it up with a cheap hit, Pens make them pay by scoring on the PP but for whatever reason the Pens inevitably get caught up in the Flyers BS these days.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:00 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
oh god hahaha
Et Tu Hot Moche?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:00 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
Geno's had his moments this year that have been frustrating, but he was a horse tonight. Say what you will about +/-, but Sid was -3 tonight. Malkin would be burned at the stake for that on here if he was -3, but he was a plus player with a goal. Sure he took a penalty, but he was by far the better of the two super stars tonight. Crosby mangling that 2-on-1 was just terrible. Sid stunk tonight.
Are you trolling? I seem to remember you doing something similar to this before. I think you're trolling. That's my gut anyhow. I'm probably going to ignore you just to be safe. KIRK will give me the all clear if I'm wrong

Old
02-21-2013, 12:01 AM
SidTheKid8787

The continuous lack of team discipline is on Bylsma. The inability to adjust is on Bylsma. The decision to start Vokoun is on DB.

I'd say he shares a big part of the blame here.
I'd love to hear Shero's real assessment of the guy...

"Well, the players really like him! and he won us a Cup!" ???

Sometimes i wish DB's mistakes weren't masked by the potent offense of this team. But i digress.

Last edited by SidTheKid8787: 02-21-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old
02-21-2013, 12:02 AM
zero8771

A tad bit more effort, focus, and a few better bounces and we win this game, easily.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:02 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Et Tu Hot Moche?
I'm on your side! Fed-Ex me the Knife-wielding Asian Lady and I'll help her chase Kessel around the ACC!

"PHIL, PHIL COME BACK!!! THIS IS FOR JAMIE BENN, PHIL! PHIL! IT WON'T HURT, PHIL! THIS IS HOW NATURE INTENDED IT"

Old
02-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
The pens are 2 totally different teams. Theirs the team when they play the flyers and the team that plays everybody else. The team that plays the flyers has allot of problems the other team is pretty good it just needs to add a winger and get geno to stay out of the box.
They've been challenged like this a few times this year, and each time they let their emotions get the best of them and they lost. The Flyers games are just more elevated.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:03 AM
hiptanaka

Very disappointing at the end, but now I realize this mess of a game could be a good thing. It underscores our deficiencies and lack of team discipline/structure, and forces Shero to really sit his *** down and figure something out.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:05 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
I'm on your side! Fed-Ex me the Knife-wielding Asian Lady and I'll help her chase Kessel around the ACC!

"PHIL, PHIL COME BACK!!! THIS IS FOR JAMIE BENN, PHIL! PHIL! IT WON'T HURT, PHIL! THIS IS HOW NATURE INTENDED IT"
I was going to use the slap chop, but I thought that might void the trade!

Old
02-21-2013, 12:05 AM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
ROFL . . . just watched that yesterday on Cinemax.

If I may pervert a metaphor (a favorite pastime ), the Pittsburgh Rockys need their own Apollo, because Dan 'Mick' Bylsma is just too much the docile, old sweetheart to reinstill the discipline and killer instinct.
Ha.

I'm down with it. Adrian won't allow it though .

Old
02-21-2013, 12:07 AM
turd

Quote:
Are you trolling? I seem to remember you doing something similar to this before. I think you're trolling. That's my gut anyhow. I'm probably going to ignore you just to be safe. KIRK will give me the all clear if I'm wrong
Why would I be trolling? I'm a Pens fan like anyone else here, but Crosby getting free passes and Malkin getting skewered amuses me. I'll be the first to call Geno out for a poor game, and I'll be the first to praise him for a good game. Same applies to Sid. Crosby can and does suck every once in a blue moon, and tonight, they didn't get enough out of him. But of course, Jack Adams played him for 27 minutes. Doh.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:08 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Why would I be trolling? I'm a Pens fan like anyone else here, but Crosby getting free passes and Malkin getting skewered amuses me. I'll be the first to call Geno out for a poor game, and I'll be the first to praise him for a good game. Same applies to Sid. Crosby can and does suck every once in a blue moon, and tonight, they didn't get enough out of him. But of course, Jack Adams played him for 27 minutes. Doh.
Crosby played well. He passed up on a shot. His -3 was not indicative of his effort.

Old
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Fanboys? I don't think any posters here were fan boys. No offense, but your constant bashing of Penguins wingers is incredibly annoying.

This is the salary cap era, every team has it's holes. The fact you have written off Bennett after THREE ****ing games is pathetic. He's done fine. I have a feeling you simply look at the box score. The most impressive thing is Bennett's play away from the puck. He's shown that he can be creative in the offensive zone and be responsible defensively. It's not his fault he's seeing most of his 10 minutes of ice with TK who's hockey IQ in the o-zone is herp derp.

The fact that you continually blame the Penguins woes on the fact that they don't have "adequate" wingers is laughable. I can say right now, with confidence, that if this is the roster we enter the playoffs with then Bennett is our best option (if he continues to be in the lineup and develop).

It's hard to find a post where you have something positive to say. This team is in a good position in the standings. Sure, there are problems that need fixed, but "fans" like you irritate the hell out of me. Half of the board jumped ship during this game (like they do every time the Pens lose).

1 bad game = "this team is special", "FML this team sucks", "Wow, fire DB, trade X", "I wanna die"

Seriously, look at the comments earlier in the year and how fast people were willing to trade Despres. Every ****ing single one of them are hopping on his **** now, it's pathetic. I'm not saying every person here is like that, but it's incredibly annoying to read **** like that.

I joined HFBoards because I was bored as **** during the lockout, but reading negative posts like yours without any substance to them just makes me want to drink.

Rant over. This team is ****ing special!

Nowingers wants an all star team. Skilled ..scorers only.

Speaking of that though, it does make me miss the 90s, not having a cap.

Good post

Old
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Crosby played well. He passed up on a shot. His -3 was not indicative of his effort.
word. He was hoppin, as the kids say.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

people are acting like the pens just came out and lost a 5-0 game to the flyers. The flyers scored once on the PP, which is unbelievable considering the amount of crying over "undisciplined" play we're all reading. Penalties didn't lose us this game. Dan Bylsma didn't lose us this game. We had a bad performance from Vokoun and were unlucky with timing on the refs blowing a puck dead. Down by three in the beginning of the third and come back to potentially send it to OT? That shows resilience.

yes, a lot of things can be improved, but its not like they were outplayed or outworked by the flyers.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I didn't even know Voracek had the HT.

Nice job.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:11 AM
turd

Quote:
Disagree. He made very few, if any, significant plays. His faceoff numbers were incredible, but besides that, he didn't do a whole lot. If Malkin's going to get held to one standard, then Crosby should be as well. I have a sneaky little suspicion that if you switched Crosby's name with Malkin's in your post, your views would've been a lot different. And rightfully so, because that effort wasn't good enough.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:13 AM
WarriorScholar

Sidney Oates

Old
02-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Not sure which game you were watching if you thought Crosby "stunk tonight". Which of the goals against that he was on for were a result of him not doing his job? Which were because of a turnover by him? Being on the ice when the opposition scores does not automatically mean you were at fault for that goal being scored.

And my complaint about Geno is his ongoing lack of discipline. This wasn't the first game where he took a penalty he could have simply avoided by not letting his temper get the better of him.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:15 AM
turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Not sure which game you were watching if you thought Crosby "stunk tonight". Which of the goals against that he was on for were a result of him not doing his job? Which were because of a turnover by him? Being on the ice when the opposition scores does not automatically mean you were at fault for that goal being scored.

And my complaint about Geno is his ongoing lack of discipline. This wasn't the first game where he took a penalty he could have simply avoided by not letting his temper get the better of him.
What did Crosby do well besides faceoffs? I expect a lot more out of the best player in the game during a rivalry night. Much like you've expected more of Malkin throughout the season. What I'm saying is if you would switch Geno's numbers with Crosby's numbers tonight, Malkin would have gotten pages worth of minuses.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:17 AM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
When I look at the standings I see Montreal, NJ, Carolina, Boston, Toronto, Ottawa and Tampa and ask myself who could Bylsma actually beat in a series? Except for Ottawa and their injury woes but they would be motivated, I can't see anybody the Pens could beat playing like this unless the Rangers would get in. I see Montreal, NJ, Carolina and Boston putting defensive clamps down and Toronto and Tampa filling the nets.
This is insane.

All of those teams have just as many, and most of them have more problems than the Pens.

The Pens lost an absurd game. They need to look past it.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:17 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
What did Crosby do well besides faceoffs? I expect a lot more out of the best player in the game during a rivalry night. Much like you've expected more of Malkin throughout the season. What I'm saying is if you would switch Geno's numbers with Crosby's numbers tonight, Malkin would have gotten pages worth of minuses.
Or...ORRRRRRRRR

People aren't basing their +/-s on numbers, but what they took from watching the game. MAYBE. POSSIBLY.

40% chance.

Crosby was flying, and I think most people are surprised he only had 1 point. If he's going to set people up, they have to occasionally put the puck in the net for him. He was flying out there.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:21 AM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Disagree. He made very few, if any, significant plays. His faceoff numbers were incredible, but besides that, he didn't do a whole lot. If Malkin's going to get held to one standard, then Crosby should be as well. I have a sneaky little suspicion that if you switched Crosby's name with Malkin's in your post, your views would've been a lot different. And rightfully so, because that effort wasn't good enough.
Sid created quite a bit last night. Only real negative plays that stick out are not shooting in the first and some crazy flip pass he tried in the second(not the Dupuis attempt, the other one).

The team as a whole and it's systems are more my concern than a Malkin vs Sid debate.

Closed Thread