HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marian Gaborik

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Dorado*

vCash: 500
I don't think he fully trusts his shoulder . His play in traffic at beginning of season was more courageous . Bottom line is Gaby is not known for his " WALL WORK " and the game he has thrived on in the past of breakaways , off the rush , are nonexistent . When NYR collapse down in front of net it's near Impossible to get an odd man rush off a steal or rebound . He's just no in position to get behind the defense . The guy is not being utilized correctly . He's no longer a fit for this team but very hard to laterally move in a salary cap league especially one with a dropping cap

Old
03-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
He's silently producing. It's just upsetting to see him float so much and look like he doesn't really care.
Some players are just like that.

This fanbase seems to think 23 guys who all look like they're trying every second of every shift is some sort of attainable reality. Its not.

You'll have yourself a team that is incredibly redundant and likely devoid of much skill. If you want Gaborik's skill and 40 goal ability on this team, you'll have to deal with the fact hes a floater. Thats just the way it is.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:41 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Some players are just like that.

This fanbase seems to think 23 guys who all look like they're trying every second of every shift is some sort of attainable reality. Its not.

You'll have yourself a team that is incredibly redundant and likely devoid of much skill. If you want Gaborik's skill and 40 goal ability on this team, you'll have to deal with the fact hes a floater. Thats just the way it is.
When you're not producing to the way people want you're floating.

When you are producing the way people want you're a sniper.

03-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

This should be on the HF join up test.... if there were such a thing

Old
03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
zuckera1

We need more than 8 goals and 9 assists for 7.5 million, I hope Gaborik can get on a streak too. We need him to start scoring more consistently. He's on pace to get 16 goals and 18 assists this year in 48 games, for a guy with his talent and skill, he needs to do more.

I know everyone loves to talk about how Gaborik scored 41 goals last year, and that's great. But if you actually go back and watch the tape, 4-5 of those goals were empty netters, and 20 of those goals were tap-ins or finishing on somebody else's (Richards, Callahan) great pass. Stats can be deceiving. You can't just look at the stat sheet and judge the quality of a player. You have to look at their impact on the games, and right now Gaborik's impact, especially if he's not scoring, is minimal. Heck, do we think Chris Kunitz is a great hockey player? He has 17 goals this season!!! More than double the amount that Gabby has.

The fact that he's a floater MEANS that he needs to produce points, and right now he's not doing enough of it. Right now, if we could trade him for two 20G scorers who play well along the boards and add some defensive value, I'd do it.

Last edited by zuckera1: 03-12-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old
03-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckera1 View Post
I know everyone loves to talk about how Gaborik scored 41 goals last year, and that's great. But if you actually go back and watch the tape, 4-5 of those goals were empty netters, and 20 of those goals were tap-ins or finishing on somebody else's (Richards, Callahan) great pass. Stats can be deceiving..
Eyeballs can be deceiving too.

I guess we dont need Gaborik at all - sounds like anyone can pot at least 25 goals playing with Richards and Callahan.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:01 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
I don't think he fully trusts his shoulder . His play in traffic at beginning of season was more courageous . Bottom line is Gaby is not known for his " WALL WORK " and the game he has thrived on in the past of breakaways , off the rush , are nonexistent . When NYR collapse down in front of net it's near Impossible to get an odd man rush off a steal or rebound . He's just no in position to get behind the defense . The guy is not being utilized correctly . He's no longer a fit for this team but very hard to laterally move in a salary cap league especially one with a dropping cap
I think the problem is between his ears... His shoulder 'trust' would not prevent him from skating his tail off to pull himself from his slump / inconsistent play. He should be skating like a madman and playing with intent/drive/passion - not looking disinterested and tentative/timid on the ice.... Bottom line, he's playing no where near his potential, stat sheet or not. I fear we'll get more of the same if we make it into the playoffs and that's what's most concerning.... Gabby is not a 'big-game' player when push comes to shove.... You can't rely on him to elevate his game when it matters most. I'd like to see him moved in the off-season if we can muster a decent return.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 03-12-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old
03-12-2013, 11:08 AM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
I know everyone loves to talk about how Gaborik scored 41 goals last year, and that's great. But if you actually go back and watch the tape, 4-5 of those goals were empty netters, and 20 of those goals were tap-ins or finishing on somebody else's (Richards, Callahan) great pass. Stats can be deceiving.
3 were empty netters.

Callahan and Richards played with a lot of players, one of them scored 41 goals.

03-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
We need more than 8 goals and 9 assists for 7.5 million, I hope Gaborik can get on a streak too. We need him to start scoring more consistently. He's on pace to get 16 goals and 18 assists this year in 48 games, for a guy with his talent and skill, he needs to do more.

I know everyone loves to talk about how Gaborik scored 41 goals last year, and that's great. But if you actually go back and watch the tape, 4-5 of those goals were empty netters, and 20 of those goals were tap-ins or finishing on somebody else's (Richards, Callahan) great pass. Stats can be deceiving. You can't just look at the stat sheet and judge the quality of a player. You have to look at their impact on the games, and right now Gaborik's impact, especially if he's not scoring, is minimal. Heck, do we think Chris Kunitz is a great hockey player? He has 17 goals this season!!! More than double the amount that Gabby has.

The fact that he's a floater MEANS that he needs to produce points, and right now he's not doing enough of it. Right now, if we could trade him for two 20G scorers who play well along the boards and add some defensive value, I'd do it.
If 20 goals of his were just easy tap ins, then why didn't everyone on last years team net 30+? Please....

Don't act like Gabby is siphoning production off of Adam Oates here.

03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
zuckera1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
If 20 goals of his were just easy tap ins, then why didn't everyone on last years team net 30+? Please....

Don't act like Gabby is siphoning production off of Adam Oates here.
I never said they were "easy" tap-ins, I said they were goals in which he scored based off of someone else's good offensive play. Gaborik doesn't create his own chances, he sits in front of the net or in the high slot waiting for a pass and then finishes the play.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
I never said they were "easy" tap-ins, I said they were goals in which he scored based off of someone else's good offensive play. Gaborik doesn't create his own chances, he sits in front of the net or in the high slot waiting for a pass and then finishes the play.
And that has made him one of the most prolific scorers of the last decade. I'd say he should keep at it.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:30 AM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
Yes. But he finishes chances better than anyone else.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:32 AM
zuckera1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
And that has made him one of the most prolific scorers of the last decade. I'd say he should keep at it.
But my point is that when he's not scoring, he has no positive impact on the game for his team. He hasn't scored enough this year to justify his contract, that's a fact. Don't deny that. That's why we should move him at the end of this year before his contract expires to get some value out of him

Old
03-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

He needs to return to the poaching mentality that got him breakaways by the dozen his first year here. I don't think his speed has suffered, I think he is being tethered a bit by our system.

Gaborik is one guy we should let Brendl at the opposition blue line.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:

Seriously? Yes Gaborik is having a mediocre year thus fair, but these arguments about getting "tap-ins" and 4 or 5 empty netters are so completely ridiculous. To discredit what he has done the past few seasons for this team that is so inempt offensively is a slap in the face to him.

In my opinion of watching Gaborik in his careeer he has never really been the kind of player that created a lot on his own.... He has always been the kind of player that the puck gets to him and immediately ends up back in the net.

He is obviously having a bad year and looks completely timid, but to discredit what he has done previously for this team is ridiculous.... The thing with him is he could easily go on a streak of getting 6 goals in 3 games or something and be right back at the top of the team in goals scored and people still probably wouldn't "notice" his play on the ice any more than they do right now

Old
03-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

That's another thing that his been discussed ad naseum, but it holds weight.

Gaborik just isn't your game changer. It's not his thing. Shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Most of the time, you won't even notice him until the red light is flickering.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:38 AM
zuckera1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ramsay View Post
Seriously? Yes Gaborik is having a mediocre year thus fair, but these arguments about getting "tap-ins" and 4 or 5 empty netters are so completely ridiculous. To discredit what he has done the past few seasons for this team that is so inempt offensively is a slap in the face to him.

In my opinion of watching Gaborik in his careeer he has never really been the kind of player that created a lot on his own.... He has always been the kind of player that the puck gets to him and immediately ends up back in the net.

He is obviously having a bad year and looks completely timid, but to discredit what he has done previously for this team is ridiculous.... The thing with him is he could easily go on a streak of getting 6 goals in 3 games or something and be right back at the top of the team in goals scored and people still probably wouldn't "notice" his play on the ice any more than they do right now
The reason I use those arguments is because people tend to only discuss stats when trying to defend him, instead of his impact on the game. Don't get me wrong, I still think that Gab had a solid year last year, and in 09-10, but those years don't matter right now, nor do his regular season stats in those years. They're meaningless to me. Everyone's been saying for weeks "wait till Gaborik goes on one of his streaks and scores 6 in 3 games." I'm still waiting. I hope I won't have to wait much longer.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
-31-
portnor, pls

The thing is though, nothing impacts the game more than goals.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

C'mon. A solid year? He was the 3rd highest goal scorer behind the league MVP and the guy that netted 60.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
The reason I use those arguments is because people tend to only discuss stats when trying to defend him, instead of his impact on the game. Don't get me wrong, I still think that Gab had a solid year last year, and in 09-10, but those years don't matter right now, nor do his regular season stats in those years. They're meaningless to me. Everyone's been saying for weeks "wait till Gaborik goes on one of his streaks and scores 6 in 3 games." I'm still waiting. I hope I won't have to wait much longer.
Well, he basically did go on one of those streaks at the beginning of the season. Im sorry you've had to wait an entire month for another one. Gaborik would personally apologize to you if he could, Im sure.

If youre looking for Gaborik to make a tangible difference in the game when hes not scoring goals/putting up points, than you'll be waiting a long time.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Jim Ramsay

I definitely would be curious to see what kind of return Gaborik would get, but I honestly think any fans thinking they will get 2 two-way players that score 20 goals each in return are going to be disappointed....

I will definitely agree he isn't worth his contract so far this year, but I still think his game will pick up a bit and preferably its a little later in the season and carries right through the playoffs

Old
03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Do you get how ignorant what you're saying really is? In essence, we - as fans - should forego production in place of effort.

Lets just buy-out Gaborik and see what Jed Ortmeyer is up to.
Do you realize how ignorant you are? If Gaborik doesn't score he's useless. I'm tired of seeing this guy float and be invisible. He contributes nothing else to this team if he isn't scoring. Some one like a Callahan contributes everywhere when he isn't scoring goals. That's what I want, effort. Show up for crying out loud.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

It's not about his stats, why can't people understand this. It's about his effort game in and game out.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Despite my previous Gaborik defending, yes he does need to pick his game up. I think he has only scored in 4 different games this year.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:54 AM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
It's not about his stats, why can't people understand this. It's about his effort game in and game out.
I think at some point we have to consider the impact that stats such as goals make in the game.

Closed Thread