HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St Louis roster needs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 09:44 PM
  #51
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
As a Flyers fan, if you're looking for someone to play first pairing minutes, then Grossmann isn't your guy. He's been great as 4/5 guy for us, but no where near someone who can play on a first pairing.

Would Braydon Coburn interest you guys? While not as physical or as good as a shot blocker as Grossmann, his puck skills are much better (although they are average at best) and he is easily the most mobile Flyers defenseman. I'm not sure exactly what the Blues' financial situation is, but Coburn has 3 more years left on his contract after this year ($4.5 million cap hit) with an actual salary of $5.5 million, $4.5 million, and $4 million.
If we are giving up Coburn, it would have to be a package around Shattenkirk. The Flyers can't trade a roster defenseman without getting another back.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:48 PM
  #52
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Man Cave
Country: United States
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
If we are giving up Coburn, it would have to be a package around Shattenkirk. The Flyers can't trade a roster defenseman without getting another back.
Coburn for Shatty? Colburn is what, like a Minus 9?

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
  #53
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Coburn for Shatty? Colburn is what, like a Minus 9?
He doesn't contribute much in terms of points, he plays top minutes against our toughest competition, and he plays a majority of our PK defensive minutes.

Our team style doesn't exactly have defense in mind, at all. I'm surprised we have any plus players, and our best is a +4.

Coburn is a pretty decent defenseman, who can play big top minutes. He's a very good skater for his size...with quite a few years of playoff experience under his belt at the age of 27.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:22 AM
  #54
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 12,836
vCash: 868
Understandable that the Flyers would want something around Shattenkirk if they were letting Coburn go. It just isn't going to happen. Shattenkirk has been great in basically every aspect of the game so far this season, and is close to untouchable.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:05 AM
  #55
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Man Cave
Country: United States
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Understandable that the Flyers would want something around Shattenkirk if they were letting Coburn go. It just isn't going to happen. Shattenkirk has been great in basically every aspect of the game so far this season, and is close to untouchable.
This.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:32 AM
  #56
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 13,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Lidstrom and Rafalski only played together on the PP.
Lidstrom played primarily with Kronwall, Rafalski primarily with Stuart or Ericsson.

Pronger and MacInnis only played together on the PP.
MacInnis played with guys like Jackman, Salvador, Bergevin and Baron.
Pronger played with guys like Persson, Reirden, Finley and whoever our scrub of the day was at the time(Sean Hill, Dave Ellott, etc...).


Let's look at the top pairings from the last 10 Cup Champs.
Doughty-Mitchell
Chara-Seidenberg
Keith-Seabrook
Letang-Orpik
Lidstrom-Kronwall
Pronger-Neidermayer
Kaberle-Ward
Kubina-Sydor
Neidermayer-Stevens
Lidstrom-Chelios

I don't know about you, but I see a pattern with all of those pairings; a PMD and a crease clearer.

You might want to talk up the puck moving ability of guys like Chara, Pronger, and Weber; but their main attribute was their ability to effectively clear the crease, not their offensive prowess. What we need next to Pietrangelo is an effective creae clearer; not another PMD. Learn from history people and quit chasing after the "next big name".

This is about what we need, not how good an individual player might be. Guys like Yandle, OEL, Greene and Gardiner are great players; but they are the exact opposite of what we need. What we need is some legit beef on the blueline who can throw down when games start getting physical. Jackman and Polak have proven they can't fill that role. This team already has more than enough offensive ability on the Blueline. Adding more offense isn't going to help us. We need size and a willingness to use it.

As I said; for what we need, give me the Volchenkov/Regehr/Murray/Grossman type over a Gardiner/OEL/Yandle/Greene type any day. Another stud offensive D man isn't going to help us clear the crease or win a battle in the corners and THAT is what is costing us games.
Doughty was paired with Scuderi kast year and I just wanted to say : Mega wrong as regards the Pens. Letang was a 6th D-man ES (paired with Eaton). Gonchar was our number 1 (with Orpik) and Gill Scuderi ate the toughest matchups after Ovechkin hobbled Gonchar.
Doesn't necessarily change your conclusion though.... Regher fits the bill.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:12 AM
  #57
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 500
You could get Yannick Weber from the Habs for almost nothing. He's billed as Streit v.2, even from Switzerland. Could turn into something good, but right now he's just been riding the pine here.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:14 AM
  #58
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
You could get Yannick Weber from the Habs for almost nothing. He's billed as Streit v.2, even from Switzerland. Could turn into something good, but right now he's just been riding the pine here.
don't need anymore miniature defensemen.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:28 AM
  #59
OCTA8ON*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Lidstrom and Rafalski only played together on the PP.
Lidstrom played primarily with Kronwall, Rafalski primarily with Stuart or Ericsson.

Pronger and MacInnis only played together on the PP.
MacInnis played with guys like Jackman, Salvador, Bergevin and Baron.
Pronger played with guys like Persson, Reirden, Finley and whoever our scrub of the day was at the time(Sean Hill, Dave Ellott, etc...).


Let's look at the top pairings from the last 10 Cup Champs.
Doughty-Mitchell
Chara-Seidenberg
Keith-Seabrook
Letang-Orpik
Lidstrom-Kronwall
Pronger-Neidermayer
Kaberle-Ward
Kubina-Sydor
Neidermayer-Stevens
Lidstrom-Chelios

I don't know about you, but I see a pattern with all of those pairings; a PMD and a crease clearer.

You might want to talk up the puck moving ability of guys like Chara, Pronger, and Weber; but their main attribute was their ability to effectively clear the crease, not their offensive prowess. What we need next to Pietrangelo is an effective creae clearer; not another PMD. Learn from history people and quit chasing after the "next big name".

This is about what we need, not how good an individual player might be. Guys like Yandle, OEL, Greene and Gardiner are great players; but they are the exact opposite of what we need. What we need is some legit beef on the blueline who can throw down when games start getting physical. Jackman and Polak have proven they can't fill that role. This team already has more than enough offensive ability on the Blueline. Adding more offense isn't going to help us. We need size and a willingness to use it.

As I said; for what we need, give me the Volchenkov/Regehr/Murray/Grossman type over a Gardiner/OEL/Yandle/Greene type any day. Another stud offensive D man isn't going to help us clear the crease or win a battle in the corners and THAT is what is costing us games.
I know this is a late response. I agree wholeheartedly with this post. After Petro went down during the playoffs, people on this forum were talking about getting a LHD that would be able to replace Pietrangelo in case he were to go down again. It was pretty ridiculous because that isn't how you build a team. We don't need a Suter or Garrison. We need big strong rocks like Seidenberg that can make a clean breakout pass and allow Petro to focus on what he is good at.

OCTA8ON* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:12 PM
  #60
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW
 
STLBLUES44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 2,037
vCash: 500
except everyone of them is still a good first pass player and puck mover. just there defense is there main thing. Robyn Regehr in now ways "fits the bill" to be on our top line. he's a has been. Doesn't have any speed and can't move the puck any better than jackman and we all know how bad it was when jackman was on our top pairing. If u honestly think he's better than cole then you must be playing NHL 04 or something.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:28 PM
  #61
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21,954
vCash: 500
Avs fan here, would there be any interest in Stastny? Has great chemistry with Stewart, good on faceoffs, good defensively, can play as a #1C, etc. He is a bit overpaid at 6.6m, but only has ~1.5 seasons left and having the connections he does with the organization he might sign for less afterwards. Avs could throw in a bottom pairing guy, and would be looking for a young #2/3C (Avs will probably try to roll 3 scoring lines), top 4 D (don't see that happening between the teams), or top 6 wing.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:39 PM
  #62
superblues
:sarcasm: implied
 
superblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Avs fan here, would there be any interest in Stastny? Has great chemistry with Stewart, good on faceoffs, good defensively, can play as a #1C, etc. He is a bit overpaid at 6.6m, but only has ~1.5 seasons left and having the connections he does with the organization he might sign for less afterwards. Avs could throw in a bottom pairing guy, and would be looking for a young #2/3C (Avs will probably try to roll 3 scoring lines), top 4 D (don't see that happening between the teams), or top 6 wing.
I would LOVE to have Stastny is a bluenote, but I'd be more than a little surprised if it actually happened.

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.