HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Pilgore88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
1) We had a pretty long list of forwards on NHL one-way contracts while the guy will still a Sens prospect
2) Vermette was still only a 3rd liner on this team
3) I actually always thought Hennessey never got a fair shot to stick with the team. I don't think he was any worse of an option than some of the scrubs we had toiling on our 4th line at the time
Don't you think a player with the skills you described would be in the NHL in some capacity, rather than 23 games?

Old
02-28-2013, 12:11 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Josh Hennessey was a pretty good poor man's Vermette.

Fast, good at faceoffs, excellent penalty killer that had enough skill to chip in offense in a non-top six role, but good enough defensively to not be a liability in that role.
In all fairness, if he was that good, he'd have had more than 23 career games in the NHL over the 5 years he tried to find a permanent spot with two teams, and would have more to show from those 23 games than one point.

*edit*
Beaten to the punch by Farva.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:13 AM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Don't you think a player with the skills you described would be in the NHL in some capacity, rather than 23 games?
A poor man's Vermette isn't that great a player...

It's not like I compared him to Havlat or anything.

Besides, sometimes players slip through the cracks. Do you think Eric Gryba would ever have gotten a shot in the NHL to prove he can play at this level if it wasn't for the injuries we managed to get?

Old
02-28-2013, 12:50 AM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Had a dream last night that we traded Spezza for Brian Campbell & Huberdeau and then flipped Zibanejad + Weircioch for ROR.
Woke up freaked out. Quitting smoking is severely playing with my mind

Old
02-28-2013, 04:22 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I've never said that Zibanejad didn't have the tools and the potential to be a star player for us. In fact I've always thought that. I've always had concerns with him being able to reach that potential and of course people are going to be high on him after how he's played the last two games, but...yeah, baby steps.

However, not many players in the league scored more than 65 points last year, and even fewer had selke calibre defence to go with it. When you consider that ROR is only 22 why has he already hit his ceiling? How much better than a 60 point selke calibre player do you think Zibanejad is going to be?

Personally I see Zibanejad becoming a 25 - 30 goal player that puts up 60 - 70 points with good defence and provides energy through some physicality and speed. He's got great tools and has potential to be a good if not great top 6er...but a 55 - 60 point selke centre still has more value than that IMO.

That said, as always we don't have to make that trade. It doesn't hurt us to keep Zibanejad precisely because of his potential. I just think that in the short term and in the future it makes us a bit stronger.
Sorry for the late response..

It makes perfect sense to worry if a prospect is going to reach his potential or not, especially as Sens fans. I think there is no such thing as a sure bet prospect. But the potential is there.

However the reason I put Zibby's ceiling higher is that I think he posses that game breaking quality that I don't think ROR has. ROR has value in other areas, like you said Selke calibre top of the line centre. But I don't see the same game breaking quality in him as I do for Zib. There's just a gut feeling I have when I see him play that when he matures he's going to be something else. When he gains his authority and adds more size and strength I see a lot of Hossa in him. He's big, fast, skilled and works like a horse. Maybe won't ever be a Hossa, but I think he has similar qualities to him.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
This fanbase is just like every other fanbase when it comes to player evaluations.

The players over there are always better than the players here, with a few exceptions.
Like Chris Phillips for example.

It's incredible to see how many people absolutely hate Phillips and are so biased against him, like the biggest bias I have ever witnessed on HF, and no need to say how much I have seen

I think it comes with being 1st overall in the weakest draft ever. He has like the "Brian Lee etiquette" except that Phillips pick made sense where he was drafted because 2005 draft is 1000x (understatement) better than 1996...

Chris Phillips has had a very good career. 260 pts as a defensive D-man (many 20-25 pts seasons, which is excellent without a ton of PP time) with tons of physical play and leadership qualities. He was so good defensively that he was getting ton of ice-time (without much PP) on a contending team :

- 2005-06 : 3rd in ice-time per game among D-men on the team
- 2006-07 : 2nd in ice-time per game among D-men on the team
- 2007-08 : 1st in ice-time per game among D-men on the team
- 2008-09 : 2nd in ice-time per game among D-men on the team
- 2009-10 : 2nd in ice-time per game among D-men on the team

- 2010-11 : 3rd in ice-time per game among D-men on the team
- 2011-12 : 4th in ice-time per game among D-men on the team
- 2012-13 : 5th in ice-time per game among D-men on the team

Like 99.99999% of NHL players, it seems like Phillips had "prime years" too. Of course, he is not as good today and his body doesn't allow him to be in that prime anymore, wow what a shock! I hope somebody notice me for the nobel prize.

Of course, players tend to not look as good when they play on non-contending teams. Sens teams from 2008-today are just not as good/performant as they were from 1998 to 2008. A contention window can't last forever.

One last thing is I have witnessed with time that Chris Phillips is really put under a microscope. He makes as many mistakes as other NHL players but it just seems than a Phillips mistake is noted right away and amplified in a "Chris Phillips had a bad game again" mood. Things like that is one of the reasons that make this place so ridiculous.

That being said, if you think he can't play in the NHL anymore, the only thing it says is you have a giant bias against him. Just accept that he is now out of his prime and that he has a different role with the team now, and everything will be fine. He must be doing something right if he is 4th in ice-time (Karlsson is out) on the 2nd best defensive team this season.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 02-28-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old
02-28-2013, 11:17 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
We need more rumours.

My friend told my cousin whom told my mother whom told my uncle whom told neighbour whom told Sparty that a Points West client will be traded today.

One of these guys to Ottawa:

Fleischmann
Jamie Benn
Svatos
Vrbata
Koci
Matsumoto
McGrattan
Kuba
Zucker
Campoli
Sheppard

aka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post

Old
02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I heard the Vrbata rumour too. I have him slotted on the 2nd line in my head... and man is it good.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
We need more rumours.

My friend told my cousin whom told my mother whom told my uncle whom told neighbour whom told Sparty that a Points West client will be traded today.

One of these guys to Ottawa:

Fleischmann
Jamie Benn
Svatos
Vrbata
Koci
Matsumoto
McGrattan
Kuba
Zucker
Campoli
Sheppard

aka
Bah, it was just McGrattan

Old
02-28-2013, 11:35 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Nashville starting the rebuild.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

I like Phillips and hope he retires here but he is not a top 4 anymore. Things would be different with a healthy lineup. I also don't like people giving him a pass when he's the one to blame on a play.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
I like Phillips and hope he retires here but he is not a top 4 anymore. Things would be different with a healthy lineup. I also don't like people giving him a pass when he's the one to blame on a play.
I don't like people using him as a scapegoat when it's a team breakdown. It goes both ways.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Max Power

I'm sure many here would not like this, but I'm wondering if Murray has any interest in Briere, since he's rumored to be available if he would agree to waives his NMC. He is a local boy after all, and has always been fantastic in the playoffs.

I think he'd fit in well in Sens system, but 2 years left @6.5 for a guy who is clearly on the decline and injury prone, is likely the tipping point. If it was me I'd likely pass and wait for the FA market but I would not be upset if Ottawa got him for nothing big in return

Old
02-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
I'm sure many here would not like this, but I'm wondering if Murray has any interest in Briere, since he's rumored to be available if he would agree to waives his NMC. He is a local boy after all, and has always been fantastic in the playoffs.

I think he'd fit in well in Sens system, but 2 years left @6.5 for a guy who is clearly on the decline and injury prone, is likely the tipping point. If it was me I'd likely pass and wait for the FA market but I would not be upset if Ottawa got him for nothing big in return
Briere has already come out and said he will not waive his NMC if asked I believe

Old
02-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:

just a note i believe his actual salary is substantially lower than his cap hit.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
just a note i believe his actual salary is substantially lower than his cap hit.
3M next year and then 2M. Cap floor teams are licking their lips.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Max Power

If that's the case 2.5 hit is for sure more attractive for what he brings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Briere has already come out and said he will not waive his NMC if asked I believe
Haven't heard that. It's hard to believe any player would not want to at least look at the option when he's told he's not wanted

Old
02-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
If that's the case 2.5 hit is for sure more attractive for what he brings

Haven't heard that. It's hard to believe any player would not want to at least look at the option when he's told he's not wanted
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416949

Also on the TSN ticker last night it said Briere wouldn't waive

Last edited by Pilgore88: 02-28-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

If you had to choose between these two trades which one would you do?

Zibanejad + 1st for O'Reilly
Zibanejad + 1st for Yandle

Old
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I'd probably go for Yandle given our current situation.

Is it overpayment? Not sure.

Zibby has been looking good lately.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I'd probably go for Yandle given our current situation.

Is it overpayment? Not sure.

Zibby has been looking good lately.
yeah not too sure on the value really and also not especially sure i want to trade anyone - seems like a bit of a betrayal to the team concept they have going on...

just like shiny new things i guess.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:49 PM
BK201

Seems steep for O'Reiley considering ge'll want 4+ million and only really showed offense in one season.

Zibanejad has been our best player more than 1 night. That would be a rough pill to swallow. Especially if O'Reilly never repeats the offensive side of his game.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
A poor man's Vermette isn't that great a player...

It's not like I compared him to Havlat or anything.

Besides, sometimes players slip through the cracks. Do you think Eric Gryba would ever have gotten a shot in the NHL to prove he can play at this level if it wasn't for the injuries we managed to get?
lol @ a poor man's Vermette. so basically an average speed, smallish player, who falls down a lot, bobbles the puck regularly.
Rico Fata?

A poor man's Vermette isnt in the NHL.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Daffy

Pass on O'Reilly. In fact, pass on everybody. I love watching these kids grow like Silf and Zibby. The team is playing well, they are playing well. I say lets just leave it as is. In the off-season, go all in on Perry if he reaches UFA.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:23 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

McKenzie reporting that Perry will not resign in Ana. What would you give up for him?

Unsigned: Michalek, Da Costa Conditional 1st (if we miss the playoffs this year, negated to next year) for Perry.

Signed: Michalek, Greening/Smith/Da Costa, Ceci, Phillips + 1st Perry + Lydman.

Last edited by wubwubwubwub: 02-28-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Closed Thread