HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Berserker*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Ottawa doesn't need a defensive minded center. Turris, Spezza and Smith all bring great two way games. Let's pick up a guy more known for his finishing than defensive presence.

I'm starting to think that this team could be one big time goal scorer away from being a legit contender next season. We'll probably need a quality top 4 vet as well but who knows where Wiercioch and Gryba could be at by next training camp. These guys are getting some invaluable experience right now.
Corey Perry

Old
02-22-2013, 09:28 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
I'd say closer to Brent Seabrook than Weber. Weber far more offensively minded. Cowen-Karlsson could be an even better version of Keith-Seabrook. That's scary for the Eastern conference.
Athletically he actually reminds me of Erik Johnson in some ways, but they have a very different mental approach to the game.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Cowen made Rundblad expendable.

Kalrsson Methot
Cowen xxx
xxx xxx

is a lot better than

Karlsson Methot
xxx xxx
xxx xxx
Exactly what Murray has said... without all the Xs.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:30 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Cowen seems more physical than Seabrook IMO. I haven't seen much of Seasbrook's play though. Am I correct in this assessment?
Seabrook used to be more physical before Wiz ran his head through the boards. Cowen's size and mobility make it easier for him to be more physical but it remains to be seen how nasty he can become.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Cowen made Rundblad expendable.

Kalrsson Methot
Cowen xxx
xxx xxx

is a lot better than

Karlsson Methot
xxx xxx
xxx xxx
Sure but you can still plug in Wierchioch, Ceci, Gryba, Borowiecki, Claesson, etc.

People act like Wierchioch and Ceci don't have a ton of upside too. Ceci could even have more upside than Cowen -- completely different players obviously. But why is it that every single one of our prospects now is rated as some world beater that will (not could) be an elite player in the league?

Cowen wasn't better than the current Methot last year, and he still has yet to prove that he's at the level of Methot before we start anointing him as #1B. He showed a lot of great things, but he also made mistakes last year. He's still a prospect with a long injury history at the tender age of 22.

Anyway, as I've already said multiple times it's not a trade that is happening. I think the value is there though. We can have the best defence in the world but we still need good forwards and ROR is a damned good forward. Do you think that Chara ever lifts that cup without Bergeron?

Old
02-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Sure but you can still plug in Wierchioch, Ceci, Gryba, Borowiecki, Claesson, etc.

People act like Wierchioch and Ceci don't have a ton of upside too. Ceci could even have more upside than Cowen -- completely different players obviously. But why is it that every single one of our prospects now is rated as some world beater that will (not could) be an elite player in the league?

Cowen wasn't better than the current Methot last year, and he still has yet to prove that he's at the level of Methot before we start anointing him as #1B. He showed a lot of great things, but he also made mistakes last year. He's still a prospect with a long injury history at the tender age of 22.

Anyway, as I've already said multiple times it's not a trade that is happening. I think the value is there though. We can have the best defence in the world but we still need good forwards and ROR is a damned good forward. Do you think that Chara ever lifts that cup without Bergeron?
Ceci and Wiercioch don't have Cowen's upside. Wiercioch doesn't really have the potential to be a top pairing guy and neither Wiercioch or Ceci have the defensive upside of Cowen.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:36 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Watch 0:41 and 3:07

He destroyed those guys like they were kids and the first goal was ALL him.

Once Cowen's body develops, he could be top 3 physical players in the league while adding in his defensive prowess and offensive abilities.

Like some people said, Weber upside. Karlsson's success really overshadows Cowen's value to this team.

I remember last years game against San Jose, we were being phsyically humiliated and destroyed. Cowen was paired with Karlsson and the entire game changed in our momentum after some huge defensive plays and hits by Cowen that game, we ended up winning 4-1 after they took a 1-0 lead really early and it looked like a blow-out in the making.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Ceci and Wiercioch don't have Cowen's upside. Wiercioch doesn't really have the potential to be a top pairing guy and neither Wiercioch or Ceci have the defensive upside of Cowen.
Ceci is very good defensively...he was always a defence first defenceman until recently. He isn't as physical as Cowen but he's extremely intelligent in his own end, and he handles the puck better. He might be a better fit in the system we play with possession based hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

Watch 0:41 and 3:07

He destroyed those guys like they were kids and the first goal was ALL him.
You can grab highlights for literally any player in the league. Nobody is questioning whether or not he is talented.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:40 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
You can grab highlights for literally any player in the league. Nobody is questioning whether or not he is talented.
Grab one like that for a 20 year old defensive defense man please.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:40 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

Quote:
Corey Perry
That's the dream. We'll have the money to make a pitch and one would think Ottawa will be an attractive option. An opportunity to play with Erik Karlsson is going to be something guys think twice about from now on.

If we can't add a Perry, I'd still want to get a guy who can put up 30. I'll keep saying it but Havlat would be awesome in this system. Voracek (not really a 30 goal guy) would be fantastic as well. We could add both if we wanted, the assets and money are there.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:41 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Ceci is very good defensively...he was always a defence first defenceman until recently. He isn't as physical as Cowen but he's extremely intelligent in his own end, and he handles the puck better. He might be a better fit in the system we play with possession based hockey.
Ceci is far from settled in his own zone. He has the intelligence but he has a ways to go (although I have yet to see him with Owen Sound)

Old
balaclava brian

Watching those Cowen highlights makes me want for the Sens to draft Zadorov.

Old
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
That's the dream. We'll have the money to make a pitch and one would think Ottawa will be an attractive option. An opportunity to play with Erik Karlsson is going to be something guys think twice about from now on.

If we can't add a Perry, I'd still want to get a guy who can put up 30. I'll keep saying it but Havlat would be awesome in this system. Voracek (not really a 30 goal guy) would be fantastic as well. We could add both if we wanted, the assets and money are there.
Lol, I love how we have the luxury to not even mention Spezza in that sentence, lool.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

The Sens were 4th in scoring last season, 24th in goals against and finished 8th in the conference.

So far this season they are 26th in scoring, 1st in goals against and sit in 7th position in the conference.

Good great defence and goaltending with timely scoring generally leads to championships.

While Bergeron had a great playoff, Krejci was actually better. Yet without the Bruins defence and Tim Thomas they don't win anything.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Berserker*

Quote:

If the Sens can find a way to make the playoffs with all the injuries, I think it would help to lure in some big name free agents. They will see the value of our coaching and depth and realize that we are likely only a few pieces away from competing for a cup.

David Clarkson would be another interesting target. He scored 30 last year and has scored 10 in 17 games played this year. It is likely that he re-signs with NJ, but if not he would be a nice addition to the Sens.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:51 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

Quote:
If the Sens can find a way to make the playoffs with all the injuries, I think it would help to lure in some big name free agents. They will see the value of our coaching and depth and realize that we are likely only a few pieces away from competing for a cup.

David Clarkson would be another interesting target. He scored 30 last year and has scored 10 in 17 games played this year. It is likely that he re-signs with NJ, but if not he would be a nice addition to the Sens.
I'm scared to death of the contract Clarkson might get if he decided to go to free agency. He's reminding me a little of Gary Roberts right now though.

I would have said Clutterbuck would have been a nice guy to bring in out to bring a physical presence to our line up but Taylor Hall may have ended his career last night.

Old
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Plays at 1:30 (undressing the Norris winner that season) and 1:45 are ridiculous.

Ryan O'Reilly is just such a good player. Even his shot has improved a lot. His passing is great, great hockey sense...but I find just the way he tracks the puck is unreal.

Old
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

Please, this is just wrong.

All credibility is disappearing with a statement like this.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Nation

Quote:

Dude is sick, and well on his way to becoming a 30g scorer, hes also playing @ a ppg pace right now, no way Philly lets him go.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:01 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rthstar View Post
Dude is sick, and well on his way to becoming a 30g scorer, hes also playing @ a ppg pace right now, no way Philly lets him go.
I'd settle for Hartnell and Matt Read.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Please, this is just wrong.

All credibility is disappearing with a statement like this.
Mmk. He entered the OHL as a stay at home defenceman (probably better described as a mobile defensive defenceman) and played mainly defensively leading up to that point -- it was in the OHL that he developed his potent offensive game.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Nation

Quote:
I'd settle for Hartnell and Matt Read.
haha, true enough, phillies O-depth is something to drool at.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Cowen is better than Methot now, and Sens fans got a glimpse of how good he is going to be last season and with his start in the AHL this season.

It was like a man playing with boys.
Gross.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Honestly, why give up assets? Give me a good if slightly overpaid UFA every day of the week. (Kessel-rule)

Even if we have to overpay by 500K a year to get a ROR-equivalent UFA....who wouldn't part with 500K in cap space to keep silfverberg?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:10 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rthstar View Post
haha, true enough, phillies O-depth is something to drool at.
It is, but their D is a disaster. They'll have to shuffle the deck in some way and clear space for Giroux down the road. Who knows, maybe the emergence of Voracek makes Briere expendable? If we see ourselves as a cup contender, who better to acquire than a home town clutch playoff goal scorer?

Closed Thread