What's this strange feeling I have? Is it... hope?!? The Optimism Thread 2013

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
fallsviewafro
truculent

vCash: 1075
What's this strange feeling I have? Is it... hope?!? The Optimism Thread 2013

Okay, its a little silly that I'm starting this literally after we string together our first two wins - one of which over CBJ - but still. With the changes made in the off-season I think the Flames are finally putting in the hard work and making things click.

I was at the Detroit - Calgary game and we dominated the full 60 minutes. It was so refreshing to see the D restricting shots from the point, Kipper/Irving stonewalling lots of good chances in close and our guys crashing the net. When this team is switched on and working hard, we're capable of good things.

Things I'm happy about:
  • HARTLEY. Oh God Hartley. They are buying what he's selling, and its great. Its astonishing to see the difference with him at the helm instead of Butter.
  • Hudler/Cervenka. LOVE these signings, especially Hudler, and Cerv is cheap icing on the cake.
  • Wideman is getting it done so far. Also met the guy this summer, he's a good dude. Glad to see him contribute so much.
  • Glencross, Tangs, Stempniak, Backlund. These guys have stood out to me, whether its getting a clutch goal at a good time, getting a ton of chances, or showing a lot of progress from years past.
  • Irving. He did very well in his debut last year and has performed up to the expectations put on him so far. I'm hoping he kicks it up just as Kipper did.

On top of this I haven't been particularly excited by Iggy or Cammy - and given their capabilities I fully expect them to kick it up and make our season even better.

As easy as it is to be cynical about this team, I think the combination of off-season moves and Hartley's leadership means good things. Watch this thread flame out as soon as we hit a rough patch...
What are you guys happy about???

Old
02-08-2013, 09:02 AM
tfong

vCash: 500
The last time I made an optimism thread the team lost 8 in a row lol.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:03 AM
fallsviewafro
truculent

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Shhh

Irving will singlehandedly shut out and score against Vancouver, Minnesota is bad and they should feel bad, and the fact that Pardy's suckitude even graced the roster of Dallas at one point means his awfulness will have lingered enough to make them lose every game forever.

I'm not worried

Old
02-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Gary83*

I really want to be optimistic. I do enjoy watching the games a hell of alot more then the past few years, I will be very optimistic if they can keep up the same consistency level over the next 5 games.

I feel like Iggy is just about to hit his stride. I've definitely seen Irving play better then he did last night, so not too worried about him.

Just hoping Backlund's injury isn't serious.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:25 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I was going to say...

WHY YOU MAKE THIS??!?!!?!

Anyway I agree with all your points, we have a lot to be optimistic about.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

vCash: 50
Not gonna lie, a little part of me wants us to sorta blow it up and suck for this shortened season.

Wouldn't mind a top 5 pick and possibly another 1st rounder or two.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Sean Monahan
Moewny

you can't hate a team if they play hard consistently every game.

Hartley's positive attitude is really rubbing off everyone I feel. Guys are ready to go every night

Old
02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Body Checker

Two biggest reasons we're looking better IMO:

1. Sutter was grouchy and tense, the team played like he looked behind the bench.

Last night when Clb scored seconds after Cervenka's goal there was the clip of Cloutier smiling and giving Cervenka taps on the shoulder, and this was just after Columbus scored.

Hartley, Cloutier, Gelinas vs. Sutter, Lowry, Hartsburg. You can see the difference in old school play hard or else vs. positive, keep going, it's a process guys, good job.

2. Top 4 D has improved immensely. Butler drops to 3rd pairing, Giordano moves up as Bouw's partner. Wideman and Brodie 2nd pairing. Hannan gone. We move the puck out of our end fast and quick, this is why our forwards are creating 20 scoring chances a game right now.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Flames92

I think we are a better team than we were under Butter and considering how close we got last year to making the playoffs, I can definitely understand the optimism. Ya ya they got of to a slow start, can you blame them? Given that it is a shortened season makes it that much harder to cram in a brand new coaching system in just one week. But we are seeing players build into it with every game.

Also, with the additions we got in the summer and how they panned out so far, I will say that I am cautiously optimistic as this can derail real fast. I do believe playoffs is possible but seeing all the injuries of late might hurt those chances. If we can get Cammy, and Backs back within the week and Kipper within the next 2 weeks, we might be OK, but if injuries continue like this things could change fast.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:04 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
I think we are a better team than we were under Butter and considering how close we got last year to making the playoffs, I can definitely understand the optimism. Ya ya they got of to a slow start, can you blame them? Given that it is a shortened season makes it that much harder to cram in a brand new coaching system in just one week. But we are seeing players build into it with every game.

Also, with the additions we got in the summer and how they panned out so far, I will say that I am cautiously optimistic as this can derail real fast. I do believe playoffs is possible but seeing all the injuries of late might hurt those chances. If we can get Cammy, and Backs back within the week and Kipper within the next 2 weeks, we might be OK, but if injuries continue like this things could change fast.
Cammy, Backlund, Bartschi, Kipper...starting to pile on already. Hopefully we get some of these guys back quickly.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:12 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Its a whole new looking team. For years I had to listen to people blame the core players while I knew the coaching staff was the common denominator for our losses, but its still early in the season.

It really dawned on me when we came away from the Blackhawks game still pushing. If this team can put in a steady effort in front of Irving, then you know its a different team

Old
02-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
you can't hate a team if they play hard consistently every game.

Hartley's positive attitude is really rubbing off everyone I feel. Guys are ready to go every night
Sorry couldn't let this one slide, I didn't know that's how Hartley was motivating everyone!

Old
02-08-2013, 11:17 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsviewafro View Post
HARTLEY. Oh God Hartley. They are buying what he's selling, and its great. Its astonishing to see the difference with him at the helm instead of Butter.
I told you guys. The Flames have plenty of weapons. Hartley knows how to use them. Sutter had no clue. Hartley gave the Wings plenty of pain as the Avs coach.

Quote:
Hudler/Cervenka. LOVE these signings, especially Hudler, and Cerv is cheap icing on the cake.
I told you Hudler would be huge for you guys. I'm still upset with Holland about that, especially after hearing recently that the big problem with bringing him back was "having a higher cap hit than Franzen" Really Kenny. AYFKM? Hudler's the better player, hitting his prime, and he can't have the higher cap hit? Even if you sign him and trade him the same week (like San Jose and Setoguchi), don't just let him walk for nothing!

Quote:
Irving. He did very well in his debut last year and has performed up to the expectations put on him so far. I'm hoping he kicks it up just as Kipper did.
Irving proving that his performance is not a fluke is definitely key to Calgary's next few years; IMHO Kipper has at most one or two years if he's not done now (possibly due to the lockout, as many were in 2005).

Old
02-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Zoombie

I thought I felt optimism once. But then it turned out to be just gas.

Here's hoping this time is different...

Old
02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Oh look its an optimism thread after winning 2 games, if we lose the next 2 there will be a blow it up thread.

I thought all the blow it up comments were blown out of proportion personally. I still don't know what to expect from this team this year (I don't think the players truly know either). But I heard Stempniak saying after last nights game that this team was more dangerous and balanced than last years. To me its obvious our skill guys enjoy having the freedom to go out and create offence and its showing.

Offence won't be the problem this year, if we can keep our shots against totals down and get some solid goaltending we will be a playoff team without question. Its really that academic.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:00 PM
tfong

This thread put Kipper on IR lol. Way to go...

Old
02-08-2013, 08:43 PM
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
I blame this thread for the injuries Cammy and Backlund got.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:13 PM
RA9

vCash: 883
**** this thread has jinx written all over it

Old
02-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Flames92

Ill let you know of my optimism on Tuesday

Old
02-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
Ill let you know of my optimism on Tuesday
Why Tuesday?

Clearly the expiry date on this thread is 11:00 Saturday night.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Volica

Not a bad record so far. Should be better the way we came out against Vancouver, Colorado and even Anaheim in the early parts of the season... 5-2-1 would be a ridiculous record; 6-1-1 would be even better.

Saying that, 3-3-2 is really not that bad so far, the injuries concern me quite a bit. 4 players out with injury, including 3 top 6 forwards and the number 1 goalie lol. Luckily, because Flames went through this last season, I think they're much deeper, even in the AHL level.

Should have brought up Horak to play with Cervenka/Hudler and made a Czech line. But I've been impressed with Street's play in Abby the game's I've taken in, or watching from home.

I really hope either we start a nice long win streak here, or if we want to suck and not make the playoffs, we start doing it soon so we can tank/rebuild.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:33 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Tank and rebuild are not in the Calgary vocabulary.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

Welcome to the Flameacoster Ride:

Currently ascending.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

With all the injuries, we must not get too optimistic.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Flames92

I think this evens out with what we had for the season opener. No Hudler and Cervenka. Now we have no Backlund, Baertschi (Kipper and Cammy should be back within next saturday). So looking at it that way we could still be a threat

Closed Thread