HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Varlamov Man Crush Thread

Old
05-13-2013, 12:02 PM
marioni

vCash: 500
Jiggy is a great, solid goalie, always was a huge fan. But tell you what, Varly when he's on fire, he can steal games for us and did so on occasion .

Dont throw him under the bus, we've yet to see him in play behind an NHL-caliber d-core for Avs. His best days are ahead of him.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauss View Post
Well since we're picking in the top five again, maybe try for a guy like Smith? Shoot for another second tier guy to fill the gap?

Our defense is comical, and I'm sure Varlamov would thrive if he had some confidence in those in front of him. But the fact is, we're not a whole lot better with him than without him.

Just play Giguere, for all I care. There's lots of guys out there you could take chances on (granted, with much less or no NHL experience) if that's what you wanted to do. But we still lost just as much, if not more with Varly in there over Giguere.

Now, please don't take that the wrong way. I like Varly, and he has had ZERO support in his time here. But he's not making a difference on his own, so maybe the timing of the deal wasn't right.

Look what we could have done this summer if we never did that Varly deal (this is going to piss people off). Luongo is out there, and he's going to be CHEAP because of what happened and that silly contract. He's still a very good goalie, has a few years left at a high level, and after all this stuff, is a genuinely likeable dude. That contract blows, but there is probably going to be a chunk of it staying on Vancouver's wallets, and everyone complains we never spend money...

It may not be a popular opinion here at all, and I'm sure a lot of you will call that, or me stupid. I've lurked for a long time here, and the homerism is quite extreme sometimes. But I'd rather not have Varly, stuck with Giggy, or a guy like Smith, or even traded for Luo, and let this tank stuff run it's course. If by the time we are ready to compete, and neither Sami or Calvin are good to go, then we can address an overpayment. Giving up that much midway through a rebuild seems a bit counterintuitive to me.
Smith, Luongo, etc. They don't fit into the team dynamic. Varly is a core piece along with EJ, Duchene, Landeskog. Young players that are reaching their prime together. Smith and Luongo could easily be passed their prime by the time our young players are ready and then what? Considering the amount of money Smith wants and Luongo's contract it would really screw us over.

Varly>Jiggy. Jiggy is good at not losing games. He's a solid back up that can come in and play solid every time. He's the perfect back-up. His starting days are over. Jiggy no longer possess's that game stealing ability that Varly has. I think your being way too harsh on Varly.

All this talk about running with Jiggy is just like before he got Varly. Instead of Jiggy though it as Grahame. Last year when Varly wasn't playing well I said he would be the one to try and lead us into playoffs. Turns out I was right, sure we didn't get into playoffs but Varly got us as close as he could with minimal goal support. Closer then Jiggy would have gotten us.

Trading for Varly was a turning point. At least in the sense that we don't end up like Edmonton using the same roster to rack up high picks. You may want to keep getting top 10 picks but I sure as hell don't. Getting Varlamov was great.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Hans Landaskog

I guess I'm an extreme homer. Beats being an extreme pessimist or bandwagoner.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:28 PM
stanislav
o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
I guess I'm an extreme homer. Beats being an extreme pessimist or bandwagoner.
Balance is good for everything, bro

I love the team. I was a little boy when they moved here, and like a lot of kids from my generation, they're what led me to play and try and pursue some sort of career with the game.

After the last five years though, I've definitely stopped concerning myself with emotional attachments. Watching all those guys retire and leave was pretty sad. Now I just want us to be good again, and we suck, we suck so bad.

It's hard for me to be excited by Varlamov right now. If he doesn't peace out before we get our **** together, and ends up being #2 behind Roy, then word, I'll eat my foot. Still doesn't change my opinion about the deal.

stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Teuras
Registered offender

I've never lost my faith in Varlamov, I liked him when he played for Caps and I was excited to have him added to the young team we had (still have). The price was pretty high but with the potential he's got and has shown already from time to time, I think we picked the right guy.

His best years are ahead of him and Avs aren't letting him go for cheap considering how much they had to give up to get him. With the right defensive system he would definitely be a Vezina candidate for multiple seasons, if he stays healthy and confident.

EDIT: + I can't say enough how glad I am that most people agree now that goaltending isn't the problem but helping the goaltender's job.

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:39 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Balance is good for everything, bro

I love the team. I was a little boy when they moved here, and like a lot of kids from my generation, they're what led me to play and try and pursue some sort of career with the game.

After the last five years though, I've definitely stopped concerning myself with emotional attachments. Watching all those guys retire and leave was pretty sad. Now I just want us to be good again, and we suck, we suck so bad.

It's hard for me to be excited by Varlamov right now. If he doesn't peace out before we get our **** together, and ends up being #2 behind Roy, then word, I'll eat my foot. Still doesn't change my opinion about the deal.
Ahh, i get it now.

Just one flaw with your thoughts here. We wouldve sucked with or without the trade.

The only thing we've lost was a draft pick who still hasnt played. So we'd be just as crappy.

Oh and if the avs wanted to Luongo...why cant they still trade for him for CHEAP, as you say, and then move Varlamov for assets. It seems like you feel we're handcuffed and have no other options.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Balls on the table!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
Ahh, i get it now.

Just one flaw with your thoughts here. We wouldve sucked with or without the trade.

The only thing we've lost was a draft pick who still hasnt played. So we'd be just as crappy.

Oh and if the avs wanted to Luongo...why cant they still trade for him for CHEAP, as you say, and then move Varlamov for assets. It seems like you feel we're handcuffed and have no other options.
Here's to watching you eat your foot.

18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:44 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18007 View Post
Here's to watching you eat your foot.
???
I like Varlamov. I want to keep Varlamov. I do not want to trade him, nor do I want Luongo.

Im entertaining Klauss' ideas on what we couldve/shouldve done instead.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Balls on the table!

Quote:
???
I like Varlamov. I want to keep Varlamov. I do not want to trade him, nor do I want Luongo.

Im entertaining Klauss' ideas on what we couldve/shouldve done instead.
Woops. I responded to the wrong poster. I meant to respond to Klauss. Sorry, I don't know how to fix it.

18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:23 PM
stanislav
o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚

It's cool, I'll happily post myself eating my foot if we get anywhere near the cup in the next four or five seasons.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:24 PM
stanislav
o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚

I still won't like the deal, but I'll definitely do that.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
It's cool, I'll happily post myself eating my foot if we get anywhere near the cup in the next four or five seasons.
Better limber up.

But as stated, this team has much more concerning problems than Varlamov. I hope we see a dedicated goal-tending coach come in though. I know he's a professional, but he's still young and perhaps the coach would help him be more consistent or to bounce back when the team is under-performing.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:39 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
I still won't like the deal, but I'll definitely do that.
Not to pick on you, but i find it absolutely absurd you think a gm would not try and get a great asset for the cheapest price he could afford.

of course there were negotiations, and that's assuming you believe that the Avs were the ONLY ones interested in varlamov.

For all you and I know there were plenty of teams who offered similar deals, and the avs won because they gave more incentive.

I hope you've been watching enough offseason sports to know that fair trades and signings hardly ever happen right; leverage or not there's always someone who's going to outbid you.

im sure parise and suter had loads of fair offers, don't you think minnesota (being their hometown) could have gotten them both for like 5-6 mil if that was not a big issue (money). Even minnesota's owner said they shouldn't have to spend that much money to get players like these.

unless you were in on table negotiations and discussions, colorado absolutely could not get varly for any less than what they got him.

Now a whole other argument (which is yours) is that they should have just walked away then at that price and let some other team have him; while probably keeping Elliot.

avsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:41 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Better limber up.

But as stated, this team has much more concerning problems than Varlamov. I hope we see a dedicated goal-tending coach come in though. I know he's a professional, but he's still young and perhaps the coach would help him be more consistent or to bounce back when the team is under-performing.
roy

avsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:02 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Better limber up.

Funny you mention this. Dario, whose a good follow on twitter and I think he posts here too, just noticed Kirk McLean isn't listed as an Avs coach on their site anymore. Maybe they'll finally get a full time one now.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Funny you mention this. Dario, whose a good follow on twitter and I think he posts here too, just noticed Kirk McLean isn't listed as an Avs coach on their site anymore. Maybe they'll finally get a full time one now.
They will probably put Jiggy in to serve as the Goalie coach. Maybe that is why he got a raise next year, the $250.000 is for being the goalie coach? Just a (scary) thought.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:05 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Keep Anderson you say? I dont understand. He was offered a more than fair contract. He refused, and scoffed at it because it wasnt enough. So the avs tried to salvage some type of value for a guy who was playing awful the year he was traded. He ended up signing for LESS money in Ottawa. In what way should they have improved their offer when it was clear no one else in the league thought he was worth what he was asking.
Not true.

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:07 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
Not true.
It's a "Half-Truth".

He was offered a contract with a higher AAV, but the Sens offered him more years

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:13 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
It's a "Half-Truth".

He was offered a contract with a higher AAV, but the Sens offered him more years
It's not a "half-truth", it's a LIE especially the way it was implied. All along Anderson wanted a long term deal and the Avs were not prepared to give him one.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:15 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
It's not a "half-truth", it's a LIE especially the way it was implied. All along Anderson wanted a long term deal and the Avs were not prepared to give him one.
No, it's not a lie, we offered him more money on a shorter term deal, that is the truth.

He didn't mention anything about term, just money.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:44 PM
iceberg

Quote:
No, it's not a lie, we offered him more money on a shorter term deal, that is the truth.

He didn't mention anything about term, just money.
He got MORE money from Ottawa, simple as that.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:47 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
He got MORE money from Ottawa, simple as that.
Now who's the one spinning things?

The Avs' offer was 2 years 7.5 million, over the SAME 2 years that the Avs offered, the Sens' offer would be LESS MONEY.

The Sens' offer was for more money, sure, but also double the years, the AAV is still lower, which is why I said it was a "Half-Truth"

Simple as that.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:53 PM
iceberg

Quote:

The Avs' offer was 2 years 7.5 million, over the SAME 2 years that the Avs offered, the Sens' offer would be LESS MONEY.

The Sens' offer was for more money, sure, but also double the years, the AAV is still lower, which is why I said it was a "Half-Truth"

Simple as that.
Less AAV does not equal less MONEY. He didn't take less money, he took more. There is no spinning things.

The Avs offered him a little more AAV, but he prefered the insurance of a longer deal, even if that meant less AVV. 7.5M is not more than 13M.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:53 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:

Simple as that.
Seriously how many one year wonders have the NHL had? Avs were right for just giving him two years, he could've been Raycroft 2.0.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:55 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Seriously how many one year wonders have the NHL had? Avs were right for just giving him two years, he could've been Raycroft 2.0.
Ottawa are looking smater right now.