HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Gryba

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 05:04 PM
  #1
NHLFreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Eric Gryba

Is he here to stay(atleast for season?)

Dont know too much about him. Is he a Matt Carkner clone or can he play a little decent hockey?

NHLFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:17 PM
  #2
Ron Jeremy
Registered User
 
Ron Jeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,339
vCash: 500
I have liked him so far.

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:23 PM
  #3
Legend Killer
Registered User
 
Legend Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,522
vCash: 500
Way better skater than Carkner... Has really fit in well with Methot.. He was really physical with Tavares last night.

He has been my favorite call up thus far.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:25 PM
  #4
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 3,098
vCash: 50
I think hes here to stay. He isnt exactly raw, being a 4 year college player and having almost 3 seasons in the A. What improvements we will see in his game from now on will be learning the NHL systems, team tendencies, etc. and during practice / in the off-season where he can work with our staff to improve foot speed, and puck handling.

I think he's a valuable 3rd pairing guy, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an "a" on his jersey sometime down the line (way down the line that is) Not to be too cliche, but hes the type of player you win in the playoffs with.

I also can't wait for his first Sutton esque smash as well because he is probably the best hitter in our organization outside of Neil.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:27 PM
  #5
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 500
He's calm and makes the most of his abilities.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:50 PM
  #6
Orange Thunder
Registered User
 
Orange Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,729
vCash: 500
He's been very good so far.

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:32 PM
  #7
StayThirstyMyFriend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Always had high expectations for Gryba, I'm glad he's showing well. However, out of the D callups so far, I've liked all of them but I think Benoit has been the best. The guy plays smart and makes good defensive plays. He's the first guy I'd keep around, then Gryba.

StayThirstyMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:06 PM
  #8
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,176
vCash: 500
Benoit, Wiercoich and now Gryba have been everything I had thought they could be after watching them in Bingo for the past two years.

They all have things to learn about the opposition and player tendencies and NHL speed, but overall they have been solid.

Personally I hope they are in Ottawa to stay, then I would like to see Murray add a RD like Streit for a year or two until Ceci is ready.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:10 PM
  #9
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls
 
Loose Sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,378
vCash: 500
Looks really good. Comparing him with other D who were from the AHL - he's better, IMO.

He can start break-outs, take a hit, give a hit, shoot, play relatively sound defensively.

He looks like Marc Methot with a slightly different build... that's how I would describe his play.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:11 PM
  #10
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,512
vCash: 500
Was a big fan a couple years back and thought he was going to make it sooner than later, but his development seemed to stall. Once Boro passed him on the depth chart I wasn't expecting him to make, but I've been very please with his play thus far.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:21 PM
  #11
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I think hes here to stay. He isnt exactly raw, being a 4 year college player and having almost 3 seasons in the A. What improvements we will see in his game from now on will be learning the NHL systems, team tendencies, etc. and during practice / in the off-season where he can work with our staff to improve foot speed, and puck handling.

I think he's a valuable 3rd pairing guy, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an "a" on his jersey sometime down the line (way down the line that is) Not to be too cliche, but hes the type of player you win in the playoffs with.

I also can't wait for his first Sutton esque smash as well because he is probably the best hitter in our organization outside of Neil.
Favourite over Da Costa? Don't know about that...

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:41 PM
  #12
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 24,905
vCash: 500
What's that? Gryba's only played 3 games? Alright thanks.

In those 3 games he has been outstanding but yea, 3 games.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:46 PM
  #13
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 12,131
vCash: 500
I think they continue to rotate the defence until the trade deadline. Once they trade a defenceman likely Gonchar, maybe Lundin too, then Gryba plays more. Benoit I think will stay all yr & Boroweicki could be the guy going back & forth to Bingo.

Unrelated ... on the Team 1200 yesterday somebody said that Bishop was told to move out of his Hotel room & get a place, whatever that means..

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:00 PM
  #14
DoctorDoak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,027
vCash: 500
Haven't seen all that much of him, but what I have seen indicates he is currently much better at clearing the puck out of the zone at the NHL level than Boro is, which to me is fundamental for a defensive d-man. Hope he can keep it up!

DoctorDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:21 PM
  #15
Ski
Calder Cup Champs
 
Ski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post

Unrelated ... on the Team 1200 yesterday somebody said that Bishop was told to move out of his Hotel room & get a place, whatever that means..
ReallY?? wow..

Grybes has been great in Bingo this year, except for the occasional bad penalty late in the 3rd..glad he's gonna be a force in the NHL next season..

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:05 AM
  #16
Rumcajs
Registered User
 
Rumcajs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 500
Havent really noticed him.

Nothing bad on D but doesnt do much offensively. However he does seem keen to toss the puck up which is more than what you can say about Benoit or Methot

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:33 AM
  #17
Kezia
Benny
 
Kezia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,739
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Unrelated ... on the Team 1200 yesterday somebody said that Bishop was told to move out of his Hotel room & get a place, whatever that means..
Please dont be trading Lehner. PLEASE.

Kezia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:07 AM
  #18
operasen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayThirstyMyFriend View Post
Always had high expectations for Gryba, I'm glad he's showing well. However, out of the D callups so far, I've liked all of them but I think Benoit has been the best. The guy plays smart and makes good defensive plays. He's the first guy I'd keep around, then Gryba.
We can pretty well count that Murray trade Gonchar, hopefully for at least a late 1st. Lundin will also be traded or let walk after the season. If Phillips stays with the team then we probably roll with

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wiercioch
Phillips - Benoit
Gryba

Binghamton gets/keeps Borowiecki, Ceci, Wikstrand

That still needs some tweeking.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:49 AM
  #19
rbkhockey29
Registered User
 
rbkhockey29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
Havent really noticed him.

Nothing bad on D but doesnt do much offensively. However he does seem keen to toss the puck up which is more than what you can say about Benoit or Methot
Case in point, when you dont notice a defenseman he's quietly doing the job. Gryba wont put up points, he's out there to be a stay at home Dman.

I have noticed him with the odd back door pinch at the net which is nice. It tells me he's confident out there and making good decisions. He's been solid for 3 games IMO.
The test is doing it game in and game out.

rbkhockey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:09 AM
  #20
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I think they continue to rotate the defence until the trade deadline. Once they trade a defenceman likely Gonchar, maybe Lundin too, then Gryba plays more. Benoit I think will stay all yr & Boroweicki could be the guy going back & forth to Bingo.

Unrelated ... on the Team 1200 yesterday somebody said that Bishop was told to move out of his Hotel room & get a place, whatever that means..
Usually means the player is here to stay for the season.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:21 AM
  #21
ChocolateLeclaire
Moderator
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Usually means the player is here to stay for the season.
They will probably go the sign-and-trade route with Bishop during the offseason. Too much of a goalie logjam with Luongo, Backstrom and Kipper being floated out there. It's like a game of dominoes waiting to see which team makes a goalie trade first.

As for Gryba, two years ago, Dorion was raving about this guy and he used the words "potential to be an elite shutdown defenseman". I guess he stalled in Bingo for a while but from what we've seen thus far, he looks like he could live up to PD's hype.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:39 AM
  #22
Tuna99
Registered User
 
Tuna99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
He's awesome, I bet tonight he is a big part of our identity versus the Rangers, he makes those beauty long passes and is tough, he took control of the game against NYI for a couple of minutes and tonight I bet he take another step with a fight and super leadership.

He's here to stay, our bottom pairing RD.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:24 AM
  #23
God Says No
Registered User
 
God Says No's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
He's awesome, I bet tonight he is a big part of our identity versus the Rangers, he makes those beauty long passes and is tough, he took control of the game against NYI for a couple of minutes and tonight I bet he take another step with a fight and super leadership.

He's here to stay, our bottom pairing RD.
yip, right now i like him better than lundin. maybe lundin shakes off the rust and takes his spot, but it's gryba's spot to lose.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:24 AM
  #24
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
They will probably go the sign-and-trade route with Bishop during the offseason. Too much of a goalie logjam with Luongo, Backstrom and Kipper being floated out there. It's like a game of dominoes waiting to see which team makes a goalie trade first.

As for Gryba, two years ago, Dorion was raving about this guy and he used the words "potential to be an elite shutdown defenseman". I guess he stalled in Bingo for a while but from what we've seen thus far, he looks like he could live up to PD's hype.
Not sure he stalled in Bingo, the Sens have had a lot of veteran D under contract so it probably was more the case of opportunity.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:53 AM
  #25
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Usually means the player is here to stay for the season.
Not sure about the current CBA, but some of the past ones only allotted a specified period of time where the team would pay for hotels (6 months i think). Could it be related to that?

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.