HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Columbus-Philadelphia

Old
02-22-2013, 05:48 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Columbus-Philadelphia

To Columbus:
Scott Laughton

To Philadelphia:
David Savard

Rationale for Philadelphia: Philly, from what I understand, has a significant lack of blueline skill. Heck, the recent "team needs and surplus thread" (see here) had at least one Flyers fan acknowledging a need for offensively talented D while having depth at center. Savard is arguably NHL-ready and is a capable two-way guy.

Rationale for Columbus: Laughton was supposedly going to be picked with the LA pick last year if he'd fallen that far. He's another shutdown type and a pretty good one; insurance for Boone, essentially.

On base? Off base?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:08 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I'd say it's close but a little slanted in PHI's favor

Why has Savard not made the jump yet? He played 31 games with the team last year but didn't stick this year

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:04 AM
TSA0402

I like the idea of trading defensive surplus for young offensive talent. I don't like the idea of trading him for Laughton. Something between Laughton and Niederreiter, I'd want. I'd say Savard still has a place in the rebuild, old man Aucoin isn't going to be in Columbus for long either.

He looked impressive for a young player last season, but with Wizniewski, Nikitin, Aucoin on the right side, I'm thinking Columbus wanted him playing more minutes and not being a #6-7 d-man in the NHL.

TSA0402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:45 AM
InjuredChoker

I think Philadelphia would lose this. Savard wouldn't help them this year and Laughton might be NHL ready as soon as next season.. looked good the games I saw him this season, could have even sticked. That would increase his value even more and Flyers could get more than Savard.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:06 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I'd say it's close but a little slanted in PHI's favor

Why has Savard not made the jump yet? He played 31 games with the team last year but didn't stick this year
His foot speed isn't where management thinks it should be.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:14 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

If David savard can't beat out 40 year old Adrian aucoin for the 6th spot on the rebuilding blue jackets, then I'm not trading Laughton for him. Laughton looked great in his trial here. Granted he didn't register any points, but he looked great. He has speed, he can hit, and he has very under rated offensive upside. He'll be ready for a full time nhl spot next season. Could I say the same for savard? I don't think so.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:43 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If David savard can't beat out 40 year old Adrian aucoin for the 6th spot on the rebuilding blue jackets, then I'm not trading Laughton for him. Laughton looked great in his trial here. Granted he didn't register any points, but he looked great. He has speed, he can hit, and he has very under rated offensive upside. He'll be ready for a full time nhl spot next season. Could I say the same for savard? I don't think so.
Neither can John Moore. That has more to do with who our coach is than how good the other defensemen are.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Aucoin's spot is due to seniority and his role as a mentor not due to actual play.

Savard isn't on the Jackets for a few reasons. First because Moore and Erixon have been playing better. Second because his skating is slow and needs work. Third he appears disinterested at the AHL level but that obviously fluctuates on a game by game basis.

Does Savard have a future in the NHL? Yeah but he has to deal with high quality competition from Murray, Moore, Erixon, and Goloubef.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Laughton is a keeper and one who in a short time(next season) will become one of the core players the team is putting together. They can use some other chips to tweek the lineup but Scott(hear me Homer) is not one of them. Along with Anthony Stolarz, Scott is pretty much an untouchable.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

No thx

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Bad deal for Philly. Laughton was buzzing all over the ice during his cup of coffee. Savard is a good point presence, and can make a good outlet pass, but his skating is very clunky and he seems to want an NHL spot handed to him. With the way Erixon, Moore, and Goloubef have played, not to mention Murray coming into the fold, I don't see him sticking with us for very long, but I doubt we'll get a recent first rounder in exchange. I could definitely see him dealt in either a 1-for-1 change of scenery type trade or as a sweetener in a bigger trade.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote