HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating lessons - worth it?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:06 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Skating lessons - worth it?

Of course skating lessons are worth it, but I'm thinking about a class that is going to be 90% figure skaters (I'm fairly certain).

This deal came up today - $65 for 8 weeks of lessons, plus free entrance to the public session on that day. You also get 4 passes to additional public sessions. So definitely a good deal:
http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/5...m_source=blast

It says that it's good for getting your skills for a game, so maybe I wouldn't be the only hockey player there?

I've never taken skating lessons, I'm entirely self-taught. I can do forwards very well and crossovers in one direction as that's something I did in speedskating. But as far as hockey stops, feeling comfortable going backwards, transitions, crossovers the other direction, etc...I could probably use the help.

Are adult learn to skate classes useful for hockey players, or am I likely to be disappointed by the focus on figure skating?

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:13 PM
mistrhanky

That is probably pretty tough to judge without knowing more about what your particular class really does. I would offer this though... until you get to more advanced skating classes(and learn to skate would imply this is fairly entry level), then any technique you learn is likely to be useful. If you learn better crossover technique, body position, edge control, etc I don't think it can hurt you one bit. It also sounds like the ice time benefits are probably worth the cost alone.

Of course, in my area, a 7 week basic class would cost $110 and have 7 pub skates included. So, it could be that our pricing difference between parts of the country(Northern Va. for me) alter my perspective.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
redbranch

Talk to the instructor. Make sure they know you're a hockey player, not a figure skater, and that you won't be throwing up jazz hands during crossovers no matter what they tell you to do

I've taken skating lessons that were phenomenal, and I've also taken ones coached by a 16 year old figure skater who looked at me like I'm insane for wearing a helmet. The idea of skating lessons is great in theory, it's a matter of if the subject matter matches your expectations

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:05 PM
neksys

I think this is a fantastic opportunity. It does say you can choose
"beginner, intermediate, and advanced lessons in either figure skating or hockey skating"

I think it would be a HUGE benefit to take a beginner's hockey skating class.

I've taken a ton of classes of various levels, and each class is different. Sometimes beginners classes are taught by figure skaters and I actually find them MORE helpful. It is a TON of edge-work, which is the single hardest fundamental skill to learn - and the most useful.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:49 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Figure skating in general can really help you out. Check out Jeff Skinner's skating. He was a figure skater before playing hockey and his edge work and skating ability is just insane.

snizzbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:39 PM
mistrhanky

As an aside, one of my teammates who has only been skating one year but takes private lessons weekly, was out there during an open skate at the same time I was today. She had him doing flamingo's around the ice(its a one legged figure skating thing). Doing that takes really great edge control, but I did tell him that if I ever saw him pull that in a game I would have to punch him in the face on principle.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:07 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Figure skating in general can really help you out. Check out Jeff Skinner's skating. He was a figure skater before playing hockey and his edge work and skating ability is just insane.

Yes! I was talking to Dan Daoust, and Jeff a few years ago and both told me about there Figure skating and how it helped them. The edge work is incentive.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:53 AM
rinkrat22

Laura Stamm was a figure skater also, she is probably the best power skating instructor known. if you feel its a good value I would say you cant go wrong.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Obviously I can't speak to those exact lessons, but IMO improving skating is probably the best way to improve your play.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote