HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Nash's play (Ranger fan)

Old
02-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Heyoooo*

vCash: 500
Nash's play (Ranger fan)

During Nash's time in Columbus, would you say he utilized his teammates well?

Was he a puck hog?

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:55 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

No, he did not use his teammates well because he was the only player on the ice worth a damn and he knew it.

And yes, he was a puck hog.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:56 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
No, he did not use his teammates well because he was the only player on the ice worth a damn and he knew it.

I would also like to throw in that they knew it as well. The entire strategy seemed to be "Give it to Rick".

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post

To follow up:

Despite this, he took quite a bit of grief for being a puck hog.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Heyoooo*

I noticed this in a few games to start out the season.

Last edited by Heyoooo*: 02-21-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 02:14 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Nash is an excellent passer, he just had very few teammates in Columbus who could finish them off.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
I would also like to throw in that they knew it as well. The entire strategy seemed to be "Give it to Rick".
And the other team's strategy was "guard Rick, he's going to get the puck."

And despite that, he still accomplished all that he did here.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:26 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Nash is an excellent passer, he just had very few teammates in Columbus who could finish them off.
"Stop Nash and you stop the Blue Jackets"

He's going to have to retrain himself to take advantage of his teammates in New York.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Heyoooo*

He seems to be doing more so here, but the first few games there were definitely times where I watched him hold on too long and was like "the **** dude?"

Old
02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Nash developed as an NHL player without anybody near his skill level. It was by necessity that he is what he is today: Somebody who protects the puck extremely well and can keep the play going by himself. A side effect of that is he may not be the best at using his teammates to the full effect.

He also never really developed great chemistry with anybody. It was always a rotating cast of characters with Rick Nash. His best seasons were Manny Malhotra and Antoine Vermette centering him, so there you go .

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:16 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
He seems to be doing more so here, but the first few games there were definitely times where I watched him hold on too long and was like "the **** dude?"
Yeah, I would say by the playoffs or next year he will learn to click with guys like Richards, Gaborik, and Callahan. He isn't used to set up shots or one timers. Rick was usually facing a one on two, one on three, which resulted in one of a few outcomes

1. Shot on net and goal
2. Shot on net
3. Pass back to trailing team mate
4. loss of puck

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Was he puck hog? No, but when you're the only hog in the pen what choice is there...

He's a great set up guy, to be honest I always thought he should play center if he could learn how to win faceoffs...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:02 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
He also never really developed great chemistry with anybody. It was always a rotating cast of characters with Rick Nash. His best seasons were Manny Malhotra and Antoine Vermette centering him, so there you go .
Don't forget Andrew Cassels. His career high in goals and Rocket Richard season was with him as his center.

02-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Don't forget Andrew Cassels. His career high in goals and Rocket Richard season was with him as his center.
I took the fact that Cassels only played half that season and the fact that Nash was garbage in every other area of his game (Pre-Hitch Nash) into consideration when making that post.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:29 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I'll agree that his linemates here were never the caliber that he's playing with now, but at some point, Nash decided for himself that it was on him to try and win games here, eventually, he never liked that role and we saw what became of it, a very talented player that burned himself out (sometime during the middle of 09-10 season, following the playoff season) and then started to just kind of "show up" at certain times or for a few games, before disappearing for a time. Ironically, it was a role he had pretty much decided himself.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:54 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Keith.. how many times did Nash make the

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I'll agree that his linemates here were never the caliber that he's playing with now, but at some point, Nash decided for himself that it was on him to try and win games here, eventually, he never liked that role and we saw what became of it, a very talented player that burned himself out (sometime during the middle of 09-10 season, following the playoff season) and then started to just kind of "show up" at certain times or for a few games, before disappearing for a time. Ironically, it was a role he had pretty much decided himself.
spectacular pass only to have a linemate miss handle it, or for pete's sake shoot it wide? It wasn't until he was on the line with Juice that we at least heard the ping of off the bar.

I cannot find fault with Rick's game other than the fact he didn't give 100% every opportunity. He seemed to hover at the dots rather than driving the net for a shot, and he developed a back to the net move that is wonderful for a basketball post player, but not so good for a sniper trying to hit the constantly moving net holes. I guess if I could have asked for more of the Jacket Captain it would have been to ask Nash to play more like the blues Keith Tkachuk or Hawks Jeremy Roenick. Those guys were physical power forwards that potted rebounds. With Nash's size, an aggressive mean streak would have made him bigger than life. Just my $.02.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
spectacular pass only to have a linemate miss handle it, or for pete's sake shoot it wide? It wasn't until he was on the line with Juice that we at least heard the ping of off the bar.

I cannot find fault with Rick's game other than the fact he didn't give 100% every opportunity. He seemed to hover at the dots rather than driving the net for a shot, and he developed a back to the net move that is wonderful for a basketball post player, but not so good for a sniper trying to hit the constantly moving net holes. I guess if I could have asked for more of the Jacket Captain it would have been to ask Nash to play more like the blues Keith Tkachuk or Hawks Jeremy Roenick. Those guys were physical power forwards that potted rebounds. With Nash's size, an aggressive mean streak would have made him bigger than life. Just my $.02.
I don't want to get into some revisionist history here, I'll just agree with you that Nash wasn't always 100 percent engaged in situations. Its hard for me to separate Nash the Player from Nash the Captain.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Jorge
Actor,Comedian,Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
NO DOUBT! So much skill! He could be--in terms of ATHLETIC ABILITY--the LeBron of hockey. Nasher is a big dude.

My problem with the guy: Too many times this guy would simply skate away from a scrum. Of course you don't want your best/most skilled guy fighting, but Nasher was our leader and IMHO chose walking away over a face wash more often than not. Just sayin. His "nice" factor might be too high.

I do remember an end-of-game fight against one the Hawks a few years back. I says to Mabel, I says, this Nash has got balls. Look at the example he's setting! No team's gonna frig with the CBJ after this!

And then more losing happened.

Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Rangers fan here.
I had few discussions pre-trade with Jackets fans about Nash. I thought he was overrated.
You guys got some quality players in the trade (I am glad to hear Anisimov is doing better btw), but Nash is as you guys described him, he is a talent.
Where do you serve crow around here?

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Nash was also very streaky. As Nash went, so went the Jackets. He could go 11 games without a goal, then score a bunch.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Xoggz22

If Rick Nash doesn't have to carry the puck through multiple zones he is a more effective player. Nash was resigned to doing it all in Columbus - out of necessity or bad habbits, doesn't matter.

Nash has good vision and can play in all situations. He needs talent around him to achieve the highest success. There simply wasn't much in Columbus. I liked the trade for the CBJ, even though I am a big Nash fan, and still like it. I think both teams will ultimately be happy with the return. I will say that I don't know of any other players with Nash's size or style that can actually play the game like he does. He's strong, good vision, handles the puck well and is opportunistic. He'll get to the right spot if someone is there to get him the puck. That was lost the last few years which led to disinterest (appears that way anyway) at time and a change in his game. Nash the puck carrier can be pretty at times but it takes away from his overall game in my opinion.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:47 AM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

It takes time for a player to adjust from being on a one man island to playing a team game. See: Kovalchuk.

MartyForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:30 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Rangers fan here.
I had few discussions pre-trade with Jackets fans about Nash. I thought he was overrated.
You guys got some quality players in the trade (I am glad to hear Anisimov is doing better btw), but Nash is as you guys described him, he is a talent.
Where do you serve crow around here?
Thanks for coming back, such posts are not very common and yours is appreciated. Glad to see Rick do well in NY and I'm pleased with the return for the CBJ. I hope, in the future, both teams can look back on this trade as successful.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:00 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
It takes time for a player to adjust from being on a one man island to playing a team game. See: Kovalchuk.
Nailed it!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
Kovalchuk had much better fortune in terms of line mates than Rick Nash ever had in Columbus. Different players. Different mindsets. Different circumstances.