HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro rivalries.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:57 PM
HugoSimon

vCash: 500
Metro rivalries.

Alright with La winning the cup last year, and new jersey being a close second. Do you think the role of hockey in the two major metro's will grow the sport across the country.

I mean these two cities are where the majority of celeb power/trend setters lives. And last year you actually heard about the play offs simply because of where the finals were being played.

To go a bit further, the Lakers clippers bangwagon, these days is quite popular. So I have to ask do you think the same kind of thing can happen in newyork and LA.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:11 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

As compared to a TB/Calgary or Carolina/Edmonton Finals? Absolutely. As compared to Lakers/Clippers? no.

It would definitely help the NHL to become relevant in the major cities, particularly in the form of hate-based rivalries, but that's just one piece of a pretty big puzzle.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Hamilton Tigers

I think it might grow the business a little, but not grow the game.

Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:28 PM
CharlestownChiefsESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSimon View Post
Alright with La winning the cup last year, and new jersey being a close second. Do you think the role of hockey in the two major metro's will grow the sport across the country.

I mean these two cities are where the majority of celeb power/trend setters lives. And last year you actually heard about the play offs simply because of where the finals were being played.

To go a bit further, the Lakers clippers bangwagon, these days is quite popular. So I have to ask do you think the same kind of thing can happen in newyork and LA.
Ita always been this way in the ny area. Especially in central nj where there is almost an even amount of RANGERS and nj fans. Ive always been curious to see how it is between the kings and ducks.

CharlestownChiefsESC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:40 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestownChiefsESC View Post
Ita always been this way in the ny area. Especially in central nj where there is almost an even amount of RANGERS and nj fans. Ive always been curious to see how it is between the kings and ducks.
Yeah well I guess really I should of just made it about the thread about LA, the only reason I mentioned new york is because of the islanders moving to brooklyn with new owners.

But it'd be interesting, if La and anaheim won cups back to back.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:24 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Unless players start doing Harlem Shake on ice during play...I don't think so.

Tho, while it might have done something, I doubt it will make it much bigger. Maybe a Kings vs Ducks Western finals could do. Or a Rangers vs Devils eastern finals.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:43 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
I still say rivalries are made in the playoffs.

IIRC the Kings and Ducks have never met in a playoff series so I'm not sure how intense of a rivalry that is right now even with them each having won a Cup in the last 10 years.

The Devils and Rangers have met quite a few times, especially recently in the ECF last season, so that rivalry is pretty heated.

Islanders and Rangers used to be blood baths, but they haven't met in a playoff series since 1994, and the Islanders and Devils only ever played once in 1988, so there hasnt been much there for any kind of sustained rivalry.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:33 AM
misha1976

To echo a previous poster, I do think in the short term the Islanders moving to Brooklyn coupled with LA and NYI doing well will grow the game. It's a big market and Brooklyn is 'cool'. People like Brooklyn. Before people write this off, the Jays started getting some hipster cred a couple of years back which I think has contributed to the clubs turn around in media coverage and attendance. It may be superficial initially, but don't underestimate a slightly annoying 'coolness' factors ability to spin off and create real and lasting fans.

Hell, I got into hockey as an adult three years back living because my Slovak roommate, who's a die hard hockey fan, and I played a lot of xbox NHL. Now I'm committed. Fan bases are created in odd ways.

misha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha1976 View Post
Hell, I got into hockey as an adult three years back living because my Slovak roommate, who's a die hard hockey fan, and I played a lot of xbox NHL. Now I'm committed. Fan bases are created in odd ways.
You're not the first to be drawn in by the video game. I converted a whole host of college friends into NHL devotees through the EA Sports game.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote