HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/LW Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013, 3rd overall, Tampa Bay) II

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2013, 11:51 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
After watching Drouin for the past two seasons religiously he is an above average skater, but that's it. Saying he has Crosby-esque skating is really unfair to Drouin.
Yeah, I was actually wondering about this. Every time I saw Drouin, I never got the sense that he was a particularly great skater. Lots of people claim he is, but I always felt his feet was hardly a strength. With a bit more strength, his skating is definitely good enough for the NHL, but I do not feel he was as good a skater as Kane was when he got drafted. Perhaps I'm off base?

Old
05-24-2013, 03:59 PM
bigdirty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Yeah, I was actually wondering about this. Every time I saw Drouin, I never got the sense that he was a particularly great skater. Lots of people claim he is, but I always felt his feet was hardly a strength. With a bit more strength, his skating is definitely good enough for the NHL, but I do not feel he was as good a skater as Kane was when he got drafted. Perhaps I'm off base?
Not off base at all.
Drouin is a good skater, but he's not in that top-level for this draft. I don't know why some people get so bent out of shape if someone suggests his skating is not elite. You don't need to be an elite skater when you can grab the puck in the corner and stickhandle around an entire team before going top-corner.
So he's not an elite skater, but he doesn't need to be either. Just being a good skater bursting with talent is more than enough.

Old
05-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Dgill

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
Not off base at all.
Drouin is a good skater, but he's not in that top-level for this draft. I don't know why some people get so bent out of shape if someone suggests his skating is not elite. You don't need to be an elite skater when you can grab the puck in the corner and stickhandle around an entire team before going top-corner.
So he's not an elite skater, but he doesn't need to be either. Just being a good skater bursting with talent is more than enough.
The way he combines his hands with his feet is what makes it look like he is flying out there.

I honestly can't remember much about Kane from his junior days other then his phenomenal hands so I will refrain from commenting on that.

Old
05-24-2013, 05:06 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
No, you're right. Kane was a much better skater (and much better prospect overall) than Drouin is.

...Kane had a late birthday, so had an extra year of development on Drouin - but as they both were in their draft year Kane was superior.

Kane's skating was, imo, the reason that he could move to the NHL so seamlessly and produce so much right away (& on a bad team), even though he was so small.

Old
05-25-2013, 04:58 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

named CHL player of the year.

Old
05-25-2013, 07:25 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
No, you're right. Kane was a much better skater (and much better prospect overall) than Drouin is.

...Kane had a late birthday, so had an extra year of development on Drouin - but as they both were in their draft year Kane was superior.

Kane's skating was, imo, the reason that he could move to the NHL so seamlessly and produce so much right away (& on a bad team), even though he was so small.
I think Drouin has the edge in other areas. I think Kane gets carried away with himself and can actually squander opportunities trying to make too many moves. Drouin playmaking and the hands on him to create those plays is a mix of Datysuk hands with Crosby vision. Drouin has playmaking skills that are out of this world. Its tough to defend against him, when u dont see what he see's. I think he will be the best playmaker in the NHL in the next 3-5 years. Art Ross point production. Drouin has Excellent speed and agility, even if some think his stride is unpolished. There is no worry about fast twitch muscle fiber with him.

Old
05-25-2013, 07:27 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I think Drouin has the edge in other areas. His playmaking and the hands on him to create those plays is a mix of Datysuk hands with Crosby vision. Drouin has playmaking skills that are out of this world. I think he will be the best playmaker in the NHL in the next 3-5 years. Art Ross point production. Drouin has Excellent speed, even if some think his stride is unpolished. There is no worry about fast twitch muscle fiber with him.
Wow, I knew you loved Drouin, which is fine since he's a tremendous prospect, but damn do you have a high opinion on him.

Old
05-25-2013, 07:31 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Wow, I knew you loved Drouin, which is fine since he's a tremendous prospect, but damn do you have a high opinion on him.
lol.....I'd actually select him #2 behind Jones. I know its not popular here, but dont be too surprised to see it happen. I wonder if he will bring the magic in the most important game of his OHL career. Same goes to Nathan Mackinnon. Im very interested in seeing whose will, who is more determined to make a difference tomorrow. Tomorrow's game will speak volumes about the 3 of them. I think they will all perform, I wont be surprised to see Drouin shine most.

Old
05-25-2013, 07:37 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
I think Drouin has the edge in other areas. I think Kane gets carried away with himself and can actually squander opportunities trying to make too many moves. Drouin playmaking and the hands on him to create those plays is a mix of Datysuk hands with Crosby vision. Drouin has playmaking skills that are out of this world. Its tough to defend against him, when u dont see what he see's. I think he will be the best playmaker in the NHL in the next 3-5 years. Art Ross point production. Drouin has Excellent speed and agility, even if some think his stride is unpolished. There is no worry about fast twitch muscle fiber with him.
lol, drouin's a great prospect...maybe better than mackinnon at this point...but nothing about him justifies that kind of comparison.

...in any event, like i said drouin currently isn't as good a prospect as kane was by this point in his draft year. maybe drouin will end up a better player than kane...maybe not. but it would probably be better to wait until he's actually made it to the nhl to speculate like that.

Old
05-25-2013, 07:41 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
lol, drouin's a great prospect...maybe better than mackinnon at this point...but nothing about him justifies that kind of comparison.

...in any event, like i said drouin currently isn't as good a prospect as kane was by this point in his draft year. maybe drouin will end up a better player than kane...maybe not. but it would probably be better to wait until he's actually made it to the nhl to speculate like that.
I think Drouin is on his way or has the potential to mix Datysuk's hands and Crosby's vision together in the very near future. Its all there in his arsenal to just get to those types of levels.

Tough to compare given that Kane was technically in his 3rd year of Junior. Drouin just 2. Drouin point production was out of this world. Could he get 150 next year with a full OHL schedule? I think so for sure. But a WJC appearance would be in there if he was sent back. I just dont think the Moosehead jersey will be on his back again after tomorrow. Drouin will be in the NHL next year.

Old
05-25-2013, 07:48 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

Quote:
I think Drouin is on his way or has the potential to mix Datysuk's hands and Crosby's vision together in the very near future. Its all there in his arsenal to just get to those types of levels.

Tough to compare given that Kane was technically in his 3rd year of Junior. Drouin just 2. Drouin point production was out of this world. Could he get 150 next year with a full OHL schedule? I think so for sure. But a WJC appearance would be in there if he was sent back. I just dont think the Moosehead jersey will be on his back again after tomorrow. Drouin will be in the NHL next year.
I don't see it. Drouin's hands are terrific enough to warrant a comparison to Datsyuk, but vision? Sorry, Crosby has him and everyone else beat. No one sees the game like Crosby. Not even Kane, who I think Drouin is comparable to here. Make no mistake: Kane is a ridiculously gifted playmaker, some of the passes he makes against NHL competition are just unbelievable.

Old
05-25-2013, 07:53 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I don't see it. Drouin's hands are terrific enough to warrant a comparison to Datsyuk, but vision? Sorry, Crosby has him and everyone else beat. No one sees the game like Crosby. Not even Kane, who I think Drouin is comparable to here. Make no mistake: Kane is a ridiculously gifted playmaker, some of the passes he makes against NHL competition are just unbelievable.
Agreed. But Drouin is right there in my opinion and so is Connor Mcdavid. Mcdavid has Crosby's vision, maybe even better when its all said and done.

Old
05-25-2013, 08:31 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

drouin was the first draft-eligible player to win chl player of the year since crosby.

Old
05-25-2013, 09:42 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
drouin was the first draft-eligible player to win chl player of the year since crosby.
That to me says ALOT. Think of all the NHL draft picks he out-performed. Thats a pretty special accomplishment.

Old
05-25-2013, 09:44 PM
George Maharis
Risk Taker

Quote:
And he's only 1 of 4 to win CHL player of the year, QMJHL player of the year, and QMJHL playoff MVP in their draft year.

The other three? Sidney Crosby, Mario Lemieux, and Pat LaFontaine. Not bad Drouin, not bad.

Old
05-25-2013, 11:41 PM
RJQuack

Damnit Jo, stop winning everything... I want you back next year. How is an NHL team supposed to send an 3-time in one year MVP back to junior, lol.

Old
05-25-2013, 11:45 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJQuack View Post
Damnit Jo, stop winning everything... I want you back next year. How is an NHL team supposed to send an 3-time in one year MVP back to junior, lol.
The ONLY chance that happens is if he ends up in Tampa and they decide to give him another year (which still isn't very likely).

Old
05-25-2013, 11:48 PM
George Maharis
Risk Taker

Quote:
On the flipside, if Drouin keeps winning everything.. I guess that means MacKinnon isn't as good. Why would a team want to keep a guy who couldn't beat the guy he's said to be better than? Might as well send him back!!

Old
05-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Android 16

I am not sold on Drouin's ability to perform well when teams focus on finishing checks on him all night like Saskatoon did in game 3. MacKinnon seems to be the smart choice as far as the Panthers' 1st rounder goes.

Old
05-26-2013, 05:29 AM
AwesomePanthers
Atlantic winners

Quote:
If Halifax wins the Cup, MacKinnon will for sure become MVP. And you can argue that he probably should have been named the Q playoffs MVP.

Drouin puts up points, but MacKinnon does it all. Score, hits, back-checks hard and creates a lot of turnovers.

Old
05-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
If Halifax wins the Cup, MacKinnon will for sure become MVP. And you can argue that he probably should have been named the Q playoffs MVP.

Drouin puts up points, but MacKinnon does it all. Score, hits, back-checks hard and creates a lot of turnovers.
Agreed. I was really surprised when MacKinnon didn't win the playoff MVP. But it would be no contest between them for who would win Memorial Cup MVP unless MacKinnon gets injured in the finals and Drouin scores 8 points.

Old
05-26-2013, 08:39 AM
db56

all i have to say from what i seen for the kid this season the is worth the money. CHL MVP with all the superstar that had it i think he wont be back in halifax next season

Old
05-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by db56 View Post
all i have to say from what i seen for the kid this season the is worth the money. CHL MVP with all the superstar that had it i think he wont be back in halifax next season
Well, back in junior or not, I'd love to see them both get another shot at the World Juniors with a coach this time that knows what he is doing. If they stick with their NHL clubs come the fall (likely) but are not playing significant roles, then I think they absolutely should be at the WJHC.

Old
05-26-2013, 09:44 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Quote:
I actually think Drouin has better hands.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
I actually think Drouin has better hands.
Yeaaaah nope.

Closed Thread