HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Beer League Prep

Old
02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
ShadowSoldier89

vCash: 500
OT: Beer League Prep

so I've been lurking here for quite a while and see people always mentioning their beer leagues, and based on the topic where the guy was asking about teaching his son to skate, you guys seem quite helpful.

So quick background, I've been playing Dek Hockey for around 12 years. I never had the money growing up and I didn't until now to get into Ice, but I've always wanted to.

So now that I have the money I want to play. I can skate pretty well, though not well enough in my opinion. I can solve that issue on my own. I'll be getting out to practice skating 2-3 times a week for the next couple weeks.

Once I am comfortable skating again though where should I start. I have gear already and was thinking of trying out pick up hockey at the different rinks, but where would be recommended.

Then where is the best place to join a league where people are friendly to entry level players. I'm not completely new as I have pretty good hands and know the game from playing dek for so long. Ice is a different beast and I know that. So I'm just looking for a good path to follow to the most enjoyable league play.

Also, I'm 24 if that matters. I also work M-F 9-5

Thanks

ShadowSoldier89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Grave77digger

I dont really like the leagues around Pittsburgh. And good luck finding the "friendly" league. Seems every level has ringers and teams are only interested in bringing in more ringers. Can you tell im frustrated? On top of that the refs will more than likely suck and not call penalties while the ringers skate circles around you and hook and slash... Ice Castle...

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I'm not from Pittsburgh so I can't comment on where to go but do try out pick-up and inquire about men's league and what levels of comp they offer. The rink I play at offers A through D; A players are ex-pro and college while D players can skate and are just learning the game. They also offer "learn to play" which is often running through drills involving skating, passing, and shooting. Jumping into a beginner league will be the best thing you've ever done; my closest friends are teammates and ex-teammates of all ages. The most important thing: volunteer to bring the beer. They like that

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote