HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our Penalty Kill

Old
02-27-2013, 11:33 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

vCash: 500
Our Penalty Kill

Has gone from being one of the best in the league over the last few seasons to being absolutely terrible this season. Can we attribute a large part of its rapid decline to Staal's departure? Even at that, I find it to be somewhat puzzling considering the fact that guys like Dupuis, Cooke, and Adams are all great penalty killers, while guys like Sutter and Glass are solid PK guys in their own right...

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
Has gone from being one of the best in the league over the last few seasons to being absolutely terrible this season. Can we attribute a large part of its rapid decline to Staal's departure? Even at that, I find it to be somewhat puzzling considering the fact that guys like Dupuis, Cooke, and Adams are all great penalty killers, while guys like Sutter and Glass are solid PK guys in their own right...
Yep #21 right now on the PK at 78.8% and 5th highest for minor penalties.. Philly with the most reclaiming their rightful spot..

Definitely a huge team discipline issue across the board because the problems just compound from there. That many PKs will make any goalie and D look bad.. takes away minutes from your scorers and kills momentum.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Itīs not only about him, but heīs certainly not helping the case. Iīm talking about Tanner *****in Glass. He deserves some bashing for that awful stuff heīs showing for us. Poor PK-ing, zero offense, zero creativity, some stupid lapses and penalties. He can throw a hit here and there, but thatīs it. He will never score a goal for this organization. Heīs that bad. As long as heīs useless on PK, and he IS, he needs to be benched. Seemingly, Bylsma sees another hero in him, just like Craig Adams.

That said, our discipline is awful and the refs arenīt helping it. Too many 5-on-3s for such a long time, many of them were questionable calls. We came close to killing them (vs Ottawa or Florida) but at the end we didnīt succeed. Iīm expecting an improvement in this area, but Glass needs to be benched. I can imagine Vitale there. Maybe.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:21 PM
NorthCraigStreet

Anytime Glass and Adams get sent out to start the PK or after a dead puck, it's a guaranteed face-off loss. An adjustment with Vitale, an effective face-off player, being added to the PK, would certainly help.

NorthCraigStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:21 PM
wgknestrick

Cooke, Letang, and Engelland shouldn't touch the PK anymore. Start there. Sutter hasn't been that good either. I don't know why Cooke seems to be having problems this year, but he is leading (or last on) the team in 4v5 GAA/60min and has been on the ice for 11 SHG against.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+25+26+27+28#

Bortz should make for a good PKer, but he hasn't seen any time there IIRC. I'd like to see DJ out there too. I certainly see our PK bringing much less pressure on the points this year. Couple that with Letang's sloppy crease play and you get a bottom PK unit.

All the 5v3s also make things look worse.

Adams and Glass have been very good along with Martin/Orpik

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:28 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Cooke, Letang, and Engelland shouldn't touch the PK anymore. Start there. Sutter hasn't been that good either. I don't know why Cooke seems to be having problems this year, but he is leading (or last on) the team in 4v5 GAA/60min and has been on the ice for 11 SHG against.

Bortz should make for a good PKer, but he hasn't seen any time there IIRC. I'd like to see DJ out there too. I certainly see our PK bringing much less pressure on the points this year. Couple that with Letang's sloppy crease play and you get a bottom PK unit.

All the 5v3s also make things look worse.

Adams and Glass have been very good along with Martin/Orpik
Can't just look at that. Need to look at who they're being used against. In Letang and Cooke's cases, they're being given the toughest pk assignments on the team at their position. Adams and Glass are seeing second units.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...24+25+26+27+28

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:34 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Can't just look at that. Need to look at who they're being used against. In Letang and Cooke's cases, they're being given the toughest pk assignments on the team at their position. Adams and Glass are seeing second units.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...24+25+26+27+28
I understand, but that doesn't change the fact that they aren't getting the job done. When teams are having major problems, it is usually the guys you depend on "most" that are struggling. Pens need to identify who is on the ice for the most goals against and change something.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Wow, accoording to that stats, Crosby wasnīt on the ice for a single PP goal against us. And he definitely have seen some PK time this season. He would be probably our best PKer, but I understand that we need him for the offense.

I expected Glassīs stats to be worse, he didnīt look impressive to me in that job. I would still bench him ASAP.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:40 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Wow, accoording to that stats, Crosby wasnīt on the ice for a single PP goal against us. And he definitely have seen some PK time this season. He would be probably our best PKer, but I understand that we need him for the offense.

I expected Glassīs stats to be worse, he didnīt look impressive to me in that job. I would still bench him ASAP.
It's tough on those stats because you can't filter by a minimum number of minutes (to eliminate all the zeros). I would not Crosby out there personally. You don't solve 1 problem by creating another problem somewhere else (PP). Crosby is already playing too many minutes IMO.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:42 PM
KIRK

Quote:

Coaching can only take a PK (and a PP) so far. At some point, on many teams, talent dictates. Talent on the PK makes a PP less aggressive. Talent on the PP exposes a lack thereof on the PK.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Coaching can only take a PK (and a PP) so far. At some point, on many teams, talent dictates. Talent on the PK makes a PP less aggressive. Talent on the PP exposes a lack thereof on the PK.
The amount of talent on the PK is determined by coaching.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
I've always been a proponent for playing your top guys at least occasionally (I'm bolding this before someone is a smartass and says I'm saying they should be out there for 2 minutes of PK per game) getting some PK shifts, simply for the "fear factor". What I mean by that is, the opposing PP actually has to worry about managing the puck better and might even play tentative, in fear of allowing a shorthanded goal against.

Currently, does the opposition really worry too much about making fancy passes and giving up a potential scoring chance in the process to guys like Adams, Glass, and Cooke? Compare that to when we're on the PP, and we have to worry about guys like Giroux burning us when we turn over the puck. It keeps a PP on its toes, IMO, knowing there's a scoring threat out there.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:55 PM

IMO it has less to do with personal and more to do with the diamond pattern.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:59 PM
UnrealMachine

Independent of PK strategy, is it really a good idea to let teams enter the offensive zone at will while we are on the PK? Think of how much we sometimes struggle on our own PP in terms of gaining the offensive zone, and then watch other teams calmly walk into our zone while our D back up to the circles. It's been like this for 15+ years. I'll never understand it.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:59 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:

Added toi/g as a field.

Glass gets hidden out there. He never hits the ice unless it's a second unit. Otherwise, they just have Cooke take another shift, looks like.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote