HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Toronto has scored the 9th most goals and are only 3 goals behind the Blackhawks for 3rd in the league. It's not like he plays for Nashville of Columbus where no one scores.

I don't know how a guy who is putting up putrid numbers will all of a sudden start scoring playing with Geno. I get it, he does other things than score, but he needs some offense to play on that line.

His stats from last year and this year scare the hell out of me
Agreed. But define "some". Dupuis didn't do much of anything until his 4th full season with the Penguins. If we acquired Kulemin and were paying him 3-3.5m a year I'd be more than happy with 15-25g and 45-55 pts. His career average is 17g/41 pts.

And that center who he plays with? He's on pace for 21g/34 pts. And we wonder why Kulemin isn't putting up better numbers.

02-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
Clowe for one.
I'd rate them about the same skill-wise or likely-to-produce-wise. I'd take either one. Thing is "the ideal" isn't really gettable for a reasonable price. Perry, Ryan, etc. Those are the only "ideals" out there. So once you go a tier below and look at younger guys who might wind up in the 25-30G category on a good year but do lots of other stuff well, Kuly, Clowe and Seto fit that mold. Stewart is a guy who could end up being a gonzo goal scorer or a whipping boy... and would probably cost more than any of the other three so that's my take more or less.

Then a tier below that are guys with good scoring pedigree but who are unreliable like Ryder or Stafford or someone like that. And since those guys don't do anything else, I'd consider them more as secondary choices if the above guys don't work.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Candyman

Am I the only one that doesn't want to see Ryan Clowe as a Penguin? He's a pretty dirty player imo. I mean playing the puck from the bench... Jumping off the bench to fight... Not exactly what I want to see from my top 6

Old
02-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I wouldn't complain. Unless he sucked.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:41 PM
PensFan68

I wouldn't mind Kulemin, but would rather see Malone back. I wish he would be healthier, but I think he'd be more physical, he's better defensively, a better compliment, and would cost much less to acquire (although, not a fan of his contract).

Old
02-25-2013, 04:45 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't want to see Ryan Clowe as a Penguin? He's a pretty dirty player imo. I mean playing the puck from the bench... Jumping off the bench to fight... Not exactly what I want to see from my top 6
Clowe is having a horrible season, but he's the type of player we need. Well, not the leaving the bench to fight guy, but the tough physical player he is. I think he's also a UFA at years end, so we wouldn't be getting ourselves stuck in any contract.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:12 PM
GrouperTrooper

Id rather have Clowe fighting battles for Geno, then Geno fighting battles for Geno. Its obvious the guy is a crazy man, but if that allows Geno to relax and be Geno sign me up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post

Old
02-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Clowe might be one of those guys who could just really benefit from a change of scenery. I think he's worth the gamble, as he could provide a Kunitz-type presence alongside Geno and Neal.

He could definitely be a positive in making the Pens a tougher team to play against. No strings attached contract-wise. I'd go for it depending on the price.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:24 PM
mpp9

Clowe definitely brings the mean streak we could use. But I have the feeling his skating ability will be an issue for Shero. And he's not really a power forward anymore. Has tried to get by on skill for the past couple seasons.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, I like Clowe's toughness but I don't think he has the speed to play with our centers. He got suspended for coming off the bench recently but I love how he sticks up for his teammates like that. It's something we could use more of.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:40 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Kulemin just scored. We've been foiled.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:41 PM
WarriorScholar

Nice goal by kulemin . Bout time eh. A lot wanted him and his one goal, can only imagine the pimping after this one

Old
02-25-2013, 08:58 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Wouldn't hate getting Clowe. Haven't seem him recently but always was a tough player, some skill. As for the dirty play.. DONT CARE. Want more of it.

Anyways, with the emergence of BB and the fact that Kunitz is done sandbagging, I would love for just ONE legit winger at this point. And by legit, I mean GOOD.

Bennett deserves to be top 6 rest of the year.. he, along with Kunitz, are going to be the 'complementary' wingers this year. Each on a separate line in the top 6. Neal is a guy who can go with either Sid or Malkin, idc who.

(Bennett or Kunitz) - Sid - (Neal or X)
(Bennett or Kunitz) - Malkin - (Neal or X)

Just imagine if that X was somebody like Iginla. How could you stop that?? With Beau on his ELC right now, it is the time to strike. Iginla will be retiring around that time that expires. Add to that a 3rd line of Cooke, Sutter, and Dupuis.. unreal lineup.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:00 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Wouldn't hate getting Clowe. Haven't seem him recently but always was a tough player, some skill. As for the dirty play.. DONT CARE. Want more of it.

Anyways, with the emergence of BB and the fact that Kunitz is done sandbagging, I would love for just ONE legit winger at this point. And by legit, I mean GOOD.

Bennett deserves to be top 6 rest of the year.. he, along with Kunitz, are going to be the 'complementary' wingers this year. Each on a separate line in the top 6. Neal is a guy who can go with either Sid or Malkin, idc who.

(Bennett or Kunitz) - Sid - (Neal or X)
(Bennett or Kunitz) - Malkin - (Neal or X)

Just imagine if that X was somebody like Iginla. How could you stop that?? With Beau on his ELC right now, it is the time to strike. Iginla will be retiring around that time that expires. Add to that a 3rd line of Cooke, Sutter, and Dupuis.. unreal lineup.
I'm actually not convinced Bennett is ready for full-time top-6 minutes. I LOVE the kid and think he's gonna be a Beau-t... ... but I'd prefer Shero acquire 2 top-6 guys and not be in a position where he's relying on a rookie to contribute 18-minutes a game (if he's not ready/at a position where they have absolutely no depth).

Old
02-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I'm actually not convinced Bennett is ready for full-time top-6 minutes. I LOVE the kid and think he's gonna be a Beau-t... ... but I'd prefer Shero acquire 2 top-6 guys and not be in a position where he's relying on a rookie to contribute 18-minutes a game (if he's not ready/at a position where they have absolutely no depth).
If Shero gets just one top six guy, I'll be stoked.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:37 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
While I'd PREFER him to get 2 wingers, I just don't see it happening. Playing a rookie with only a few games under his belt in the top 6 in the playoffs scares me a bit, but if we do get 1 forward I'm all for moving Dupuis to the 3rd line (getting rid of TK) and giving BB full time top 6 duty.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
If Shero gets just one top six guy, I'll be stoked.
Ditto. One more legit top sixer would give me a lot of confidence going into the playoffs. Asking for more than that is just pie-in-the-sky stuff.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:41 PM
SEALBound

Here me out on this:

Clowe+Murray

for

Niskanen+Kennedy

Kulemin

for

2nd + Maatta (or something equivalent)

Kunitz-Crosby-Neal
Kulemin-Malkin-Clowe
Cooke-Sutter-Duper

or switch Neal and Clowe.

I have no idea why I'm so intrigued with Clowe...I just think he would work so well here.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Here me out on this:

Clowe+Murray

for

Niskanen+Kennedy

Kulemin

for

Kunitz-Crosby-Neal
Kulemin-Malkin-Clowe
Cooke-Sutter-Duper

I have no idea why I'm so intrigued with Clowe...I just think he would work so well here.
the key to clowe is that he should come fairly cheap I think. Him and Seto are on a similar level for me. Not top choices, but potential low cost guys.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Ditto. One more legit top sixer would give me a lot of confidence going into the playoffs. Asking for more than that is just pie-in-the-sky stuff.
Get on the Stempniak to Pens offers and make it happen.

Use that street magic.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Sjb141

Of all the realistic options out there I think kulemnin is the best by a pretty decent margin. Unless there's someone out there who hasn't really been talked about (and there is, every year).

I like doulglas Murray as a player but I really don't think he'd fit w/ us at all. If San Jose was just giving him away I'd take him in a heart beat but I wouldn't give up anything valuable to get him.

Also was talking to someone who mentioned in passing "don't be shocked by how little Iginla goes for at the trade deadline." It was in passing so don't really know what the context of "little" is.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:02 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjb141 View Post
Of all the realistic options out there I think kulemnin is the best by a pretty decent margin. Unless there's someone out there who hasn't really been talked about (and there is, every year).

I like doulglas Murray as a player but I really don't think he'd fit w/ us at all. If San Jose was just giving him away I'd take him in a heart beat but I wouldn't give up anything valuable to get him.

Also was talking to someone who mentioned in passing "don't be shocked by how little Iginla goes for at the trade deadline." It was in passing so don't really know what the context of "little" is.
Was that person someone reliable with sources close to the NHL or do you just mean like a friend?

Old
02-25-2013, 10:09 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Here me out on this:

Clowe+Murray

for

Niskanen+Kennedy

Kulemin

for

Kunitz-Crosby-Neal
Kulemin-Malkin-Clowe
Cooke-Sutter-Duper

I just can't see Shero adding 3 new players .

Right now I'm all about getting Stempniak soon...like yesterday . And that having an affect on Iginlas decision. Those are the two I want right now. I'll let you know who the next two are next Monday

Old
02-25-2013, 10:09 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Shero has a lot of assets and a lot of cap space. I'm not asking for 2 Neal trades. I think one long-term acquisition and one rental is realistic. Or 2 rentals. Or SOMETHING ANYTHING DEAR GOD PLEASE SHERO.

Sorry.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:12 PM
SEALBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjb141 View Post

Agreed. I do think however that if we send a dman one way, one will be coming back. Its just Shero, IMO.

It will be interesting to see how many, if any, Top 6 wingers Shero goes for. I guess it all depends on his comfort level in Dupuis in the Top 6 in the playoffs and Bennett/Jeffrey/Boychuk/etc on the third line.

I see at least ONE top 6 winger a MUST.

Kunitz-Crosby-_______
_____-Malkin-Neal

One can be filled with Dupuis if we only get one. I don't think Cooke, Bennett, or Jeffrey are the ones we want filling out the 3rd wheel. I assume TK will be sent out in a trade.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Winger-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Winger/Jeffrey/Bennett

is the worst case scenario going into the playoffs.

Kunitz-Crosby-Winger/Seto/Clowe
Winger/Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

is the better case scenario going into the playoffs.

Given the draft picks and d-prospects we have, we should have problems bringing in a couple cheaper-ish guys that can be resigned, ala Seto, Clowe, Kulemin, etc. All three of those guys should be able to be resigned for 2-3 years @ <3.5mil.

Closed Thread