HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
You guys aren't thinking like Dan Bylsma, that's the problem.

Pascal Dupuis is next to Crosby until he leaves this organization. That's not my preference, that's Bylsma's thinking.

If we bring in another middling winger, all it's going to do is knock down Bennett. We finally have a kid who looks legit. Let's ruin him by acquiring a non-impact winger.

It's a terrible idea under this current regime, and you guys know it.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:25 PM
cheesedanish87

I think BB deserves a chance to play the 2nd line with malkin and neal. Hopefully malkin comes back within a couple weeks and then u can play bb with them give him about 2 or 3 weeks with malkin neal and evaluate were your team is at that point. Perfect situation would be for bb to work out. Get a winger for sid move dupuis to 3rd line. You got 3 solid lines.

Last edited by cheesedanish87: 02-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 12:27 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

Pascal Dupuis is next to Crosby until he leaves this organization. That's not my preference, that's Bylsma's thinking.

If we bring in another middling winger, all it's going to do is knock down Bennett. We finally have a kid who looks legit. Let's ruin him by acquiring a non-impact winger.

Except Dupuis isn't on that line now...

Old
02-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Shero, with his maneuverings, can help dictate the lineup. He knows who Bylsma likes and who he doesn't.

If Shero acquires a winger to play with Malkin and Neal, then Bennett is heading back to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. And frankly, that's a terrible decision. We should wait until he does something to actually merit a demotion before replacing him.

Course, Shero can't do anything about Cooke playing above Bennett on the Malkin line, but we can't keep acquiring veterans just because our idiot coach hates rookies. Rookies are essential for our long-range survival as Cup contenders under the new cap number next season.

If Shero can't explain this to our man Disco Dan, maybe we should get our capologist to explain it to him...with visual aids if it helps.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Except Dupuis isn't on that line now...
Are we discussing a lineup without Malkin, or with Malkin?

Old
02-26-2013, 12:33 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Shero, with his maneuverings, can help dictate the lineup. He knows who Bylsma likes and who he doesn't.

If Shero acquires a winger to play with Malkin and Neal, then Bennett is heading back to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. And frankly, that's a terrible decision. We should wait until he does something to actually merit a demotion before replacing him.

Course, Shero can't do anything about Cooke playing above Bennett on the Malkin line, but we can't keep acquiring veterans just because our idiot coach hates rookies. Rookies are essential for our long-range survival as Cup contenders under the new cap number next season.

If Shero can't explain this to our man Disco Dan, maybe we should get our capologist to explain it to him...with visual aids if it helps.
But wait, you want us to build a roster based around the current coach's thinking, but then you want to assume that BB would ever get a shot in the top-6?

I'd rather Shero try to upgrade the roster as it's being deployed night-in and night-out.

I don't want BB sent down. I think you can build a roster where BB is getting consistent top-9 time this year and next year and still build a cup winning top-6

Quote:
Are we discussing a lineup without Malkin, or with Malkin?

I don't see how it matters? Clearly they were willing and able to move Dupuis off of Crosby's line as soon as they had a suitable replacement.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
MtlPenFan

Yeah, nothing, I mean nothing ruins a kid's development more than sending him to the AHL to get used to the pro game a little more. Being injured during half your college experience is more than enough.

I used Tangradi as an example, who is flourishing in Winnipeg.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
But wait, you want us to build a roster based around the current coach's thinking, but then you want to assume that BB would ever get a shot in the top-6?

I'd rather Shero try to upgrade the roster as it's being deployed night-in and night-out.

I don't want BB sent down. I think you can build a roster where BB is getting consistent top-9 time this year and next year and still build a cup winning top-6

I don't see how it matters? Clearly they were willing and able to move Dupuis off of Crosby's line as soon as they had a suitable replacement.
I want the coach gone, but that's for another thread. Look, why are we even discussing Kulemin. The Leafs are two points behind us in the standings, and have already beaten us this season.

What are we sending Toronto, who have playoff aspirations this year, for Kulemin? You have to do a hockey trade with them here, not Kennedy and a D prospect or pick. Why would they do that?

So, we have to think about making a hockey trade. In that case, you're subtracting as well as adding (which, to be honest, is my preference this year). But is Kulemin better than Kunitz? Is he better than Dupuis (taking salary into account)?

None of this makes any sense to me. We're looking for first-line wingers and wasting time talking about Toronto's third-line RW.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:40 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
I want the coach gone, but that's for another thread. Look, why are we even discussing Kulemin. The Leafs are two points behind us in the standings, and have already beaten us this season.

What are we sending Toronto, who have playoff aspirations this year, for Kulemin? You have to do a hockey trade with them here, not Kennedy and a D prospect or pick. Why would they do that?

So, we have to think about making a hockey trade. In that case, you're subtracting as well as adding (which, to be honest, is my preference this year). But is Kulemin better than Kunitz? Is he better than Dupuis (taking salary into account)?

None of this makes any sense to me. We're looking for first-line wingers and wasting time talking about Toronto's third-line RW.
I've already outlined why it wouldn't necessarily be a hockey trade with them. They may not move him, but if they do, whenever it is, it may just be for picks, because they're running out of top-6/top-9 room and he's been the least productive of their top-6/top-9.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:43 PM
H382

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Yeah, nothing, I mean nothing ruins a kid's development more than sending him to the AHL to get used to the pro game a little more. Being injured during half your college experience is more than enough.

I used Tangradi as an example, who is flourishing in Winnipeg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Wright:

better every game, a steal

Peluso:

very limited play (2 games), 1 1/2 fights, looks like a good skater

Tangradi:

Wheeler without speed or skill, doesn't hit, can't score, a roster fill until someone better comes along, waste of a 7th round pick, should have been a waiver claim
I'm not sure you can say Tangradi is flourishing. Unless you forgot the

Old
02-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:

Yet you are the one that said we need to get bigger and meaner. Tell me how Bennett accomplishes that?

Old
02-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by H382 View Post
He definitely forgot the

Old
02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Yet you are the one that said we need to get bigger and meaner. Tell me how Bennett accomplishes that?
I said EITHER bigger/meaner OR more skilled. Since Bennett is here, let's start with more skilled.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
I've already outlined why it wouldn't necessarily be a hockey trade with them. They may not move him, but if they do, whenever it is, it may just be for picks, because they're running out of top-6/top-9 room and he's been the least productive of their top-6/top-9.
He is one of their prime PKers. He is now firmly on their checking line. Clarke MacArthur is the obvious guy the Leafs would move when Lupul and Frattin return.

Toronto hasn't made the playoffs since the 2004 lockout, yet they're going to trade a roster player for draft picks when they're this close to the postseason?

Come on.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Because he's been targeted in the past by other GMs and maybe they think he can succeed on their club.
Where'd you get that from? I've never heard any analyst or Shero say "offers for Kennedy" or anything like that. Not saying it didn't happen but specifics would be useful for purposes of discussion.

Quote:
I want them to make a move for Iginla, to be honest. He's going to cost SOMETHING, and Philly's prospect pool is drying up. .
A thin prospect pool only hurts them down the road. Their core guys are in their prime. Having Iggy there would not help our cause in the least the next 2-3 years. THe objective is not to beat Philly 5 years from now, it's to beat them now.

Quote:
Kulemin is 6'2, 235lbs? and hits?

And I'm sorry, but he's an improvement over everyone who's been used on the 2nd line this year. And he's 2.8MM, that's not expensive.
With the possible exception of Bennett (who's still an unknown quantity), I agree and...

Quote:
By bigger, I meant "BIGGER", as in meaner, tougher to play against, nastier...more like the Kings. Not Kulemin.

And if you bring in Kulemin...

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy

Where does Bennett play?
...that's the easiest problem in the world to solve because Cooke can play RW / has done it before.

Bennett - Sutter - Cooke

Would actually be a very good 3rd line potentially and with real offensive skill sans Kennedy. It may turn out that Bennett playing with Sutter on the 2nd line right now, could pay dividends later if they're shifted back to 3rd line because we acquire someone with more experience for 2LW.

Kulemin would not hurt our cause against the Kings, hypothetically. Might not be enough but then no one player is going to be enough.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-26-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 01:06 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

A thin prospect pool only hurts them down the road. Their core guys are in their prime. Having Iggy there would not help our cause in the least the next 2-3 years. THe objective is not to beat Philly 5 years from now, it's to beat them now.
I agree that the objective is to beat them now, and I want Iggy on the Pens, I'm just saying if he goes there, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Not because he's not good, he is (which is why I hope the Pens acquire him), but I just don't think they're making the playoffs, Iginla or no.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by H382 View Post
Sarcasm isn't as funny when you have to literally draw a picture to point out you're being sarcastic.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
I agree that the objective is to beat them now, and I want Iggy on the Pens, I'm just saying if he goes there, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Not because he's not good, he is (which is why I hope the Pens acquire him), but I just don't think they're making the playoffs, Iginla or no.
You're being way optimistic there. The Flyers even without Jagr this year, are a good team and can easily turn it around. Especially with a more consistent goalie. If they add Luongo and a decent winger at the deadline, that's a major concern for us.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You're being way optimistic there. The Flyers even without Jagr this year, are a good team and can easily turn it around. Especially with a more consistent goalie. If they add Luongo and a decent winger at the deadline, that's a major concern for us.
After the Pens-Flyers game everyone was saying 'there's no way the Flyers make the playoffs" and I was like, geeze you people are idiots, they have so much talent they will wake up and breeze into the playoffs."

And maybe that happens.

But I watched them against the Jets and Leafs and they rarely looked dangerous. I mean, they didn't look like legitimate threats to anyone. Maybe they can still turn it on, I don't know, but it was amazing watching them play non-Penguins teams. They looked like a 9th-place team.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
After the Pens-Flyers game everyone was saying 'there's no way the Flyers make the playoffs" and I was like, geeze you people are idiots, they have so much talent they will wake up and breeze into the playoffs."

And maybe that happens.

But I watched them against the Jets and Leafs and they rarely looked dangerous. I mean, they didn't look like legitimate threats to anyone. Maybe they can still turn it on, I don't know, but it was amazing watching them play non-Penguins teams. They looked like a 9th-place team.
Would love if they finished in 9th!

Old
02-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
They looked like a 9th-place team.
There are times this year we've looked like a 9th place team. Even good teams slump and get down on themselves. Won't take much for them to turn it around and even supposing they only turn it around at the last minute and finish 7th or 8th... there's still decent odds we meet them in teh first round. ANd they sure don't look like a 9th place team when they play us. Also Fartsmell has returned to their lineup after being out a while so that makes a big difference. He's part of what drives their offense.

Don't make the mistake of thinking they're not a problem later just because they suck right now.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Can someone tell what we would realistically need to give up to acquire Perry? Would it be somewhere along the lines of 2013 1st, Joe Morrow, Kuhnhackl, plus?

I have a hard time evaluating proper value for Perry (considering his UFA status), but would like someone to weigh in what we'd have to give up.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:27 PM
H382

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Sarcasm isn't as funny when you have to literally draw a picture to point out you're being sarcastic.
I didn't realize you had to actually draw it on yours.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:34 PM
mpp9

Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis looked as good as many of us hoped in the shifts they got together last game. That needs to be our checking line come postseason.

I think Bennett stays up here unless we make a move for two wingers.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:36 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis looked as good as many of us hoped in the shifts they got together last game. That needs to be our checking line come postseason.

I think Bennett stays up here unless we make a move for two wingers.
He's going to have to get some serious time next to 87 or 71 between now and the deadline.

Closed Thread