HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 12:23 PM
  #801
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,478
vCash: 500
You guys aren't thinking like Dan Bylsma, that's the problem.

Pascal Dupuis is next to Crosby until he leaves this organization. That's not my preference, that's Bylsma's thinking.

If we bring in another middling winger, all it's going to do is knock down Bennett. We finally have a kid who looks legit. Let's ruin him by acquiring a non-impact winger.

It's a terrible idea under this current regime, and you guys know it.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:25 PM
  #802
cheesedanish87
Registered User
 
cheesedanish87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 6,479
vCash: 500
I think BB deserves a chance to play the 2nd line with malkin and neal. Hopefully malkin comes back within a couple weeks and then u can play bb with them give him about 2 or 3 weeks with malkin neal and evaluate were your team is at that point. Perfect situation would be for bb to work out. Get a winger for sid move dupuis to 3rd line. You got 3 solid lines.


Last edited by cheesedanish87: 02-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.
cheesedanish87 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:27 PM
  #803
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tim Hortons
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
You guys aren't thinking like Dan Bylsma, that's the problem.

Pascal Dupuis is next to Crosby until he leaves this organization. That's not my preference, that's Bylsma's thinking.

If we bring in another middling winger, all it's going to do is knock down Bennett. We finally have a kid who looks legit. Let's ruin him by acquiring a non-impact winger.

It's a terrible idea under this current regime, and you guys know it.
Except Dupuis isn't on that line now...

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:30 PM
  #804
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,478
vCash: 500
Shero, with his maneuverings, can help dictate the lineup. He knows who Bylsma likes and who he doesn't.

If Shero acquires a winger to play with Malkin and Neal, then Bennett is heading back to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. And frankly, that's a terrible decision. We should wait until he does something to actually merit a demotion before replacing him.

Course, Shero can't do anything about Cooke playing above Bennett on the Malkin line, but we can't keep acquiring veterans just because our idiot coach hates rookies. Rookies are essential for our long-range survival as Cup contenders under the new cap number next season.

If Shero can't explain this to our man Disco Dan, maybe we should get our capologist to explain it to him...with visual aids if it helps.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
  #805
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Except Dupuis isn't on that line now...
Are we discussing a lineup without Malkin, or with Malkin?

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:33 PM
  #806
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tim Hortons
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Shero, with his maneuverings, can help dictate the lineup. He knows who Bylsma likes and who he doesn't.

If Shero acquires a winger to play with Malkin and Neal, then Bennett is heading back to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. And frankly, that's a terrible decision. We should wait until he does something to actually merit a demotion before replacing him.

Course, Shero can't do anything about Cooke playing above Bennett on the Malkin line, but we can't keep acquiring veterans just because our idiot coach hates rookies. Rookies are essential for our long-range survival as Cup contenders under the new cap number next season.

If Shero can't explain this to our man Disco Dan, maybe we should get our capologist to explain it to him...with visual aids if it helps.
But wait, you want us to build a roster based around the current coach's thinking, but then you want to assume that BB would ever get a shot in the top-6?


I'd rather Shero try to upgrade the roster as it's being deployed night-in and night-out.

I don't want BB sent down. I think you can build a roster where BB is getting consistent top-9 time this year and next year and still build a cup winning top-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Are we discussing a lineup without Malkin, or with Malkin?

I don't see how it matters? Clearly they were willing and able to move Dupuis off of Crosby's line as soon as they had a suitable replacement.

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
  #807
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,465
vCash: 500
Yeah, nothing, I mean nothing ruins a kid's development more than sending him to the AHL to get used to the pro game a little more. Being injured during half your college experience is more than enough.

I used Tangradi as an example, who is flourishing in Winnipeg.

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:38 PM
  #808
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
But wait, you want us to build a roster based around the current coach's thinking, but then you want to assume that BB would ever get a shot in the top-6?


I'd rather Shero try to upgrade the roster as it's being deployed night-in and night-out.

I don't want BB sent down. I think you can build a roster where BB is getting consistent top-9 time this year and next year and still build a cup winning top-6




I don't see how it matters? Clearly they were willing and able to move Dupuis off of Crosby's line as soon as they had a suitable replacement.
I want the coach gone, but that's for another thread. Look, why are we even discussing Kulemin. The Leafs are two points behind us in the standings, and have already beaten us this season.

What are we sending Toronto, who have playoff aspirations this year, for Kulemin? You have to do a hockey trade with them here, not Kennedy and a D prospect or pick. Why would they do that?

So, we have to think about making a hockey trade. In that case, you're subtracting as well as adding (which, to be honest, is my preference this year). But is Kulemin better than Kunitz? Is he better than Dupuis (taking salary into account)?

None of this makes any sense to me. We're looking for first-line wingers and wasting time talking about Toronto's third-line RW.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:40 PM
  #809
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tim Hortons
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I want the coach gone, but that's for another thread. Look, why are we even discussing Kulemin. The Leafs are two points behind us in the standings, and have already beaten us this season.

What are we sending Toronto, who have playoff aspirations this year, for Kulemin? You have to do a hockey trade with them here, not Kennedy and a D prospect or pick. Why would they do that?

So, we have to think about making a hockey trade. In that case, you're subtracting as well as adding (which, to be honest, is my preference this year). But is Kulemin better than Kunitz? Is he better than Dupuis (taking salary into account)?

None of this makes any sense to me. We're looking for first-line wingers and wasting time talking about Toronto's third-line RW.
I've already outlined why it wouldn't necessarily be a hockey trade with them. They may not move him, but if they do, whenever it is, it may just be for picks, because they're running out of top-6/top-9 room and he's been the least productive of their top-6/top-9.

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:43 PM
  #810
H382
Registered User
 
H382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Yeah, nothing, I mean nothing ruins a kid's development more than sending him to the AHL to get used to the pro game a little more. Being injured during half your college experience is more than enough.

I used Tangradi as an example, who is flourishing in Winnipeg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Wright:

better every game, a steal

Peluso:

very limited play (2 games), 1 1/2 fights, looks like a good skater

Tangradi:

Wheeler without speed or skill, doesn't hit, can't score, a roster fill until someone better comes along, waste of a 7th round pick, should have been a waiver claim
I'm not sure you can say Tangradi is flourishing. Unless you forgot the

H382 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:48 PM
  #811
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 15,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
You guys aren't thinking like Dan Bylsma, that's the problem.

Pascal Dupuis is next to Crosby until he leaves this organization. That's not my preference, that's Bylsma's thinking.

If we bring in another middling winger, all it's going to do is knock down Bennett. We finally have a kid who looks legit. Let's ruin him by acquiring a non-impact winger.

It's a terrible idea under this current regime, and you guys know it.
Yet you are the one that said we need to get bigger and meaner. Tell me how Bennett accomplishes that?

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:50 PM
  #812
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 15,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H382 View Post
I'm not sure you can say Tangradi is flourishing. Unless you forgot the
He definitely forgot the

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
  #813
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Yet you are the one that said we need to get bigger and meaner. Tell me how Bennett accomplishes that?
I said EITHER bigger/meaner OR more skilled. Since Bennett is here, let's start with more skilled.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:53 PM
  #814
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I've already outlined why it wouldn't necessarily be a hockey trade with them. They may not move him, but if they do, whenever it is, it may just be for picks, because they're running out of top-6/top-9 room and he's been the least productive of their top-6/top-9.
He is one of their prime PKers. He is now firmly on their checking line. Clarke MacArthur is the obvious guy the Leafs would move when Lupul and Frattin return.

Toronto hasn't made the playoffs since the 2004 lockout, yet they're going to trade a roster player for draft picks when they're this close to the postseason?

Come on.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
  #815
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Matter
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 26,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Because he's been targeted in the past by other GMs and maybe they think he can succeed on their club.
Where'd you get that from? I've never heard any analyst or Shero say "offers for Kennedy" or anything like that. Not saying it didn't happen but specifics would be useful for purposes of discussion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I want them to make a move for Iginla, to be honest. He's going to cost SOMETHING, and Philly's prospect pool is drying up. .
A thin prospect pool only hurts them down the road. Their core guys are in their prime. Having Iggy there would not help our cause in the least the next 2-3 years. THe objective is not to beat Philly 5 years from now, it's to beat them now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Kulemin is 6'2, 235lbs? and hits?

And I'm sorry, but he's an improvement over everyone who's been used on the 2nd line this year. And he's 2.8MM, that's not expensive.
With the possible exception of Bennett (who's still an unknown quantity), I agree and...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
By bigger, I meant "BIGGER", as in meaner, tougher to play against, nastier...more like the Kings. Not Kulemin.

And if you bring in Kulemin...

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy

Where does Bennett play?
...that's the easiest problem in the world to solve because Cooke can play RW / has done it before.

Bennett - Sutter - Cooke

Would actually be a very good 3rd line potentially and with real offensive skill sans Kennedy. It may turn out that Bennett playing with Sutter on the 2nd line right now, could pay dividends later if they're shifted back to 3rd line because we acquire someone with more experience for 2LW.

Kulemin would not hurt our cause against the Kings, hypothetically. Might not be enough but then no one player is going to be enough.


Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-26-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:06 PM
  #816
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tim Hortons
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

A thin prospect pool only hurts them down the road. Their core guys are in their prime. Having Iggy there would not help our cause in the least the next 2-3 years. THe objective is not to beat Philly 5 years from now, it's to beat them now.
I agree that the objective is to beat them now, and I want Iggy on the Pens, I'm just saying if he goes there, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Not because he's not good, he is (which is why I hope the Pens acquire him), but I just don't think they're making the playoffs, Iginla or no.

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
  #817
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H382 View Post
I'm not sure you can say Tangradi is flourishing. Unless you forgot the
Sarcasm isn't as funny when you have to literally draw a picture to point out you're being sarcastic.

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
  #818
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Matter
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 26,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I agree that the objective is to beat them now, and I want Iggy on the Pens, I'm just saying if he goes there, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Not because he's not good, he is (which is why I hope the Pens acquire him), but I just don't think they're making the playoffs, Iginla or no.
You're being way optimistic there. The Flyers even without Jagr this year, are a good team and can easily turn it around. Especially with a more consistent goalie. If they add Luongo and a decent winger at the deadline, that's a major concern for us.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
  #819
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tim Hortons
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You're being way optimistic there. The Flyers even without Jagr this year, are a good team and can easily turn it around. Especially with a more consistent goalie. If they add Luongo and a decent winger at the deadline, that's a major concern for us.
After the Pens-Flyers game everyone was saying 'there's no way the Flyers make the playoffs" and I was like, geeze you people are idiots, they have so much talent they will wake up and breeze into the playoffs."

And maybe that happens.

But I watched them against the Jets and Leafs and they rarely looked dangerous. I mean, they didn't look like legitimate threats to anyone. Maybe they can still turn it on, I don't know, but it was amazing watching them play non-Penguins teams. They looked like a 9th-place team.

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
  #820
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
After the Pens-Flyers game everyone was saying 'there's no way the Flyers make the playoffs" and I was like, geeze you people are idiots, they have so much talent they will wake up and breeze into the playoffs."

And maybe that happens.

But I watched them against the Jets and Leafs and they rarely looked dangerous. I mean, they didn't look like legitimate threats to anyone. Maybe they can still turn it on, I don't know, but it was amazing watching them play non-Penguins teams. They looked like a 9th-place team.
Would love if they finished in 9th!

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:21 PM
  #821
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Matter
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 26,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
They looked like a 9th-place team.
There are times this year we've looked like a 9th place team. Even good teams slump and get down on themselves. Won't take much for them to turn it around and even supposing they only turn it around at the last minute and finish 7th or 8th... there's still decent odds we meet them in teh first round. ANd they sure don't look like a 9th place team when they play us. Also Fartsmell has returned to their lineup after being out a while so that makes a big difference. He's part of what drives their offense.

Don't make the mistake of thinking they're not a problem later just because they suck right now.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:27 PM
  #822
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate
 
Mo Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Palm Isle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 500
Can someone tell what we would realistically need to give up to acquire Perry? Would it be somewhere along the lines of 2013 1st, Joe Morrow, Kuhnhackl, plus?


I have a hard time evaluating proper value for Perry (considering his UFA status), but would like someone to weigh in what we'd have to give up.

Mo Wanchuk is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:27 PM
  #823
H382
Registered User
 
H382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Sarcasm isn't as funny when you have to literally draw a picture to point out you're being sarcastic.
I didn't realize you had to actually draw it on yours.

H382 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:34 PM
  #824
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,743
vCash: 500
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis looked as good as many of us hoped in the shifts they got together last game. That needs to be our checking line come postseason.

I think Bennett stays up here unless we make a move for two wingers.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:36 PM
  #825
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis looked as good as many of us hoped in the shifts they got together last game. That needs to be our checking line come postseason.

I think Bennett stays up here unless we make a move for two wingers.
He's going to have to get some serious time next to 87 or 71 between now and the deadline.

WVP is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.