HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-1: Producing offense like a trap team in an offensive system

Old
02-22-2013, 01:05 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry84 View Post
This team is frustrating. I've always played the patience card, but it's an aggravating type of game the oilers play. I still believe they'll eventually start converting their chances though...I still see a top line that creates a scoring chance nearly every shift....which is ridiculous. they just need to start putting them in the net. Tough loss.
Don't say that; HF seems to be quickly turning on the top line despite their quality of play while ignoring the rest of the roster.

But I'm used to goals and assists being the only thing of worth here.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:07 AM
Replacement
Checked out

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
...But he wasn't seriously hurt.
I was on a rant n roll. lol.

Right you are.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:07 AM
McDangler97
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Nobody that throws the most hits, and most open ice hits in NHL hockey has any problem with their pain threshold.

If Clutterbuck was an Oiler we'd all love him and be talking about a silly play by Hall. Not about somebody seriously hurt on the ice.

Say what you want about Clutterbuck, we'd all want some of this player.

Kudos to few fans in the crowd that bothered to cheer when he got up. Guys a warrior game in and game out and deserves some respect.
He wasn't seriously injured
And I'm sorry but I hardly have any respect for Clutterbuck. The guy is a duster

McDangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Kind of irony considering he was one of the horrendous additions that this club brought in as *hired help*.

Maybe he should just shut up and realize he wouldn't be here period without such incompetence.
Hah, true enough (and I was initially going to say something similar) but he's really found a niche for himself in sports radio. I like the guy.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:08 AM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
I was on a rant n roll. lol.

Right you are.
I figured you were just caught up in the frustration that the rest of us are feeling. The fact he's flying to Calgary should state how "badly" he was hurt...

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hah, true enough (and I was initially going to say something similar) but he's really found a niche for himself in sports radio. I like the guy.
I still have bad memories of fear and impending doom everytime he jumped over the boards.

He was like a secret weapon of serious suck.

Turn it to 11 suck.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:11 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Don't say that; HF seems to be quickly turning on the top line despite their quality of play while ignoring the rest of the roster.

But I'm used to goals and assists being the only thing of worth here.
They get numerous chances to score every game, but aren't getting it done.

They are playing hard, they want to play together, but something needs to change as the Oilers are getting decent defensive performances as a whole, decent goaltending, but haven't been able to score all year.

You don't win much in the league if you can't score more than 2 regularly, the Oilers are simply pissing away games at this point, and the first line which is relied upon to score is part of the problem.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:13 AM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
He wasn't seriously injured
And I'm sorry but I hardly have any respect for Clutterbuck. The guy is a duster
If he was an Oiler would you feel differently?

People here cheered for Bryan Marchment of all people. People here cheer for Ben Eager.

Clutterbuck is a much move valuable version of Eager that can actually play the game, different roles, and log some appreciable minutes.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1637
Quote:
And what he does now has no bearing on why or how he came to Edmonton. None. So if he doesn't like what management is doing, there is NO reason he should have to pipe down because it's the same people that brought him in. None.

We need more voices to speak up, not less.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
And what he does now has no bearing on why or how he came to Edmonton. None. So if he doesn't like what management is doing, there is NO reason he should have to pipe down because it's the same people that brought him in. None.

Agreed 100 percent.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:16 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Quote:

People here cheered for Bryan Marchment of all people. People here cheer for Ben Eager.

Clutterbuck is a much move valuable version of Eager that can actually play the game, different roles, and log some appreciable minutes.
Eager's been playing great for a couple of weeks now. Also soundly outhit Clutterbuck tonight.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:16 AM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

Eh... you can fire all the people you want. The guys on the ice still have to shoot the puck and put it in the net. Talent is there... it just has to be drilled into them to shoot and drive to the net and get chances and finally bury them. Rinse, repeat.

Sure they can use bigger players.. but big chunks of meat aren't going to necessarily score. The core here has to score more. Get some meaty players sure, but don't blow this all up or we'll have low scoring meatheads... big team with no finish instead of small team with no finish.

If the team doesn't get it going soon... they are a lotto team again. So be it. Tambo & Co (or their replacements) make some decent trades this summer, gets another decent draft pick(s) and it's try again next year.

No simple solution though. This core has to fight through this and find the finish eventually... if not this year then next. It WILL come, it's just a frustrating thing to watch and go through as a fan, coach and I'm sure for management as well... truth be known.

Right now Oilers are shooting under 4% at even strength. That's their #1 problem by far.

No team in the last 6 years in the NHL has shot under 6% at even strength in a full season. Oilers are shooting below 4% right now. Until that changes... it's simple... they aren't winning no matter what.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:17 AM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:

Maybe we should hold a fire Tamby rally outside Rexall.

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:18 AM
plikestechno

Now that Peckham's back it might be time for Petry and Nick Schultz to see some press box too and gain some "perspective". If Ralph's going to bench guys he has to bench his pets too or it sends out the wrong message. Those guys have been bringing nothing lately. Especially Schultz.

I'd pull Schultz out and out Whitney out with Justin Schultz. Things can't be worse and maybe being on the top pair again would get Whitney going for a few games.

I actually liked Theo Peckham a lot tonight with Fistric and I've always been pretty hard on him. He brings something that we need. Guess we missed him after all.

Last edited by plikestechno: 02-22-2013 at 01:25 AM.
plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:18 AM
McDangler97
5-14-6-1

Quote:

I don't like dirty players period. Clutterbuck has thrown multiple dirty hits in his career, One of which was on Hall of all people. I guess Hall never forgot about that...

McDangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Jason Strudwick is a breath of fresh air in sports radio. He sounds incredibly frustrated with management tonight.
aren't we all. this team is well on its way to a bottom 3 finish, for the 4th year in a row, and management continues to sit on their hands and watch. Tambo seems to think that he can draft every piece needed... that every prospect will eventually become a useful roster player. is it a guarentee that Moroz, Ewanyk, Marincin, Gernat will be seriveable NHLers? 2 out of the 4 at best.

it is unreasonable to demand an immediate trade, but if there are no changes at trade deadline or this summer, i will.... i don't know. i guess i'll just be even more pissed.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Maybe we should hold a fire Tamby rally outside Rexall.
Sounds like a great idea

We should get at least as many as we got for the "Fire Mact" rally.

Who knows, if we take it to twitter it could be as successful as the lockout boycott.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:20 AM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Eager's been playing great for a couple of weeks now. Also soundly outhit Clutterbuck tonight.
Bolded for emphasis here and its all we got.

Clutterbuck has had 300hit seasons. Eager has had multiple seasons where he hasn't registered 100 hits.

Clutterbuck has 50hits already this year on an off year. Eager has 28 on whats been an excellent year by his standards.

Wonder who I'd want more.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:21 AM
plikestechno

Hall went butt first but couldn't even hit him right. This team can't hit the net or guys properly. Big surprise.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Jesus

Also it would be nice to have a defensemen chip in a goal once in a while, apart from Schultz none have a goal. FFS Petry has zero points on the year.

This team is in a serious funk.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:23 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:

Yeah, but Clutterbuck is the guy who has made a living making hits like the one he found himself on the receiving end of tonight. He's about the last guy in the league (well, maybe Torres) who gets to complain about being hit a little late.

If Eager plays like he did tonight (and he also had a good game vs LA) he's useful. I'd like to think his resurgent play means that he's finally back to feeling healthy, but I recall seeing flashes of this game before for short stretches.

I think you better prepare yourself though because if Hall gets suspended Eager might just draw into one of the top two lines. I might actually try that myself right about now if I was coaching.

Quote:

I can never tell when you are being sarcastic ....

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
Also it would be nice to have a defensemen chip in a goal once in a while, apart from Schultz none have a goal. FFS Petry has zero points on the year.

This team is in a serious funk.
how about a point shot on the PP for once.

just low percentage plays when you go goal line and try to pass it across 3 sticks

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Six in O6

Quote:
Bolded for emphasis here and its all we got.

Clutterbuck has had 300hit seasons. Eager has had multiple seasons where he hasn't registered 100 hits.

Clutterbuck has 50hits already this year on an off year. Eager has 28 on whats been an excellent year by his standards.

Wonder who I'd want more.
What are the games played for each player and hits per game? I think this season its a bit closer than you give Eager credit. He's playing good hockey.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Now that Peckham's back it might be time for Petry and Nick Schultz to see some press box too and gain some "perspective". If Ralph's going to bench guys he has to bench his pets too or it sends out the wrong message. Those guys have been bringing nothing lately. Especially Schultz.
Petry led the team in ice time, had 6 hits and 3 blocked shots tonight.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:24 AM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
What are the games played for each player and hits per game? I think this season its a bit closer than you give Eager credit. He's playing good hockey.
Eager has more hits per game.

It's silly to compare Eager and Clutterbuck anyway. No one is asking Eager to be one of the best hitters in the NHL.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote