HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Brad Richards - Buyout Candidate?

Old
02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
Brad Richards - Buyout Candidate?

I'm not attempting to troll. However i have seen various articles surface in the media regarding Brad Richards potentially being a buy out candidate at the end of the season. His stats aren't exactly awful, however the Rangers may soon be strapped up tot he cap and something will have to give. What do Rangers fans think about his play thus far?

Cant fathom the Rangers buying him out just wanted to get some first hand opinions.

HockeyGuruPitka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

It would certainly be pretty crazy if it did happen, especially after all the whole free agency thing. Is he really playing that badly?

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:22 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
Gaborik. They need a centre and Nash makes Gaborik expendable.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:24 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
Gaborik. They need a centre and Nash makes Gaborik expendable.
Gaborik is a UFA after next season. No need to buy him out at all..

I can see the Rangers buying out Richards if he doesn't improve on the start he's had this past season but he's going to have this season AND next season to prove otherwise.

If he doesn't show any signs of his current play being atypical, then Rangers won't hesitate to buy him out to avoid his contract being an albatross down the line. Also avoids the problems with the cap recapture system which would hit Richards' contract big time.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Crease

The way things are currently going, the Rangers will use their second compliance buyout on Richards in the summer before the 2014-2015 season. High cap hit for far too many years.

Gaborik will not be bought out. He may be traded though.

Last edited by Crease: 02-25-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Islanderfan17

Hopefully they don't commit highway robbery this time

I'm looking at you Montreal

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
It would certainly be pretty crazy if it did happen, especially after all the whole free agency thing. Is he really playing that badly?
I don't think he should be bought out but yes, he is playing that badly. Can't believe how many apologist there are for him in the hockey media.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:29 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Just a little confused, in regards to amnesty buyouts, teams have 2 that could be used either this upcoming offseason, or the offseason after next year correct?

thanks in advance.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Really hope no one helps the rangers out here

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:34 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
He's one of many underperforming rangers this year. Probably the worst one though and with his contract it's not really acceptable. Cant see them buying him out already though.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Just a little confused, in regards to amnesty buyouts, teams have 2 that could be used either this upcoming offseason, or the offseason after next year correct?

thanks in advance.
Correct. The team pays the player 2/3rds of remaining salary obligation. Player immediately becomes a free agent. There is no cap penalty.

Richards would be a candidate for the compliance buyout even if he wasn't playing so poorly. His contract expires when he is 40. The first six years of the deal pay him much more money than his cap hit. The last three years are tacked on to reduce his cap hit. If he retires before 40, Rangers face cap penalties due to benefit recapture. The compliance buyout gives the Rangers a way out.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I think Richards just got too caught up with complaining about how the NHL owners were going to cause his children to starve and forgot to stay in hockey shape and keep his mind on the game. I expect him to improve slowly over the course of the season and rebound next year. He's not old. He just looks lazy and out of it. Buying him out wont help the Rangers. It's a short season and it's not enough time for his poor play this year to outweigh the history he has of great play for years.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:38 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Might make a certain sense. The guy isn't bad, per se, but his contract is really terrible and will only get worse.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:40 AM
BeastoftheEast85

I don't really believe he will be bought out, but if the Rangers wanted to would he have to pass through waivers first for a compliance buyout? I can't see a team not picking him up. The Leafs, amongst other teams, would pounce at a potential number one center for a cap of just over 3 mill, even if they still have to pay him half of the that front loaded contract.

BeastoftheEast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Crease

If Richards is traded or claimed by another team, the Rangers still face cap penalties in the event he retires before the end of his deal.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Correct. The team pays the player 2/3rds of remaining salary obligation. Player immediately becomes a free agent. There is no cap penalty.

Richards would be a candidate for the compliance buyout even if he wasn't playing so poorly. His contract expires when he is 40. The first six years of the deal pay him much more money than his cap hit. The last three years are tacked on to reduce his cap hit. If he retires before 40, Rangers face cap penalties due to benefit recapture. The compliance buyout gives the Rangers a way out.
I think it should also be stated that the amnesty buy-out can occur during the summer of 2013, or the summer of 2014. So the Rangers could give Richards another year to see if he bounces back before buying him out, assuming they could get under the $64.3M cap next year making other moves. (EDIT - so you mentioned this is a previous post - my bad for being redundant.)

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:50 AM
daner

NYR's/Sather have bad contracts floating around the league all over the place. Which player will they overpay this offseason? They should not be allowed to participate in free agency anymore haha....but seriously.

daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:52 AM
NjDevsRR

Gaborik gets way too much heat in my opinion. Yes he is very inconsistent but for a talent like Gaborik to put up multiple 40 goal seasons on Tortorella's system is incredible.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:53 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
thanks in advance.
This coming summer, and next summer. NYR has one remaining.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:56 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
Gaborik gets way too much heat in my opinion. Yes he is very inconsistent but for a talent like Gaborik to put up multiple 40 goal seasons on Tortorella's system is incredible.
This

Sen him to Brooklyn....He would look great with JT

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:03 PM
SFKingshomer

So glad him and Gaborik decided not to sign in LA.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:22 PM
hfgreg
Obviously...

I'd like to see him finish his career in Tampa.. Don't see it happening at this point though.

hfgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Captain Saku

Pacioretty and Tinordi for Richards

I still cant believe the Gomez trade

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:32 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
buy him out and watch 29 teams send an offer.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Gaborik has been up and down this year, but his tenure with the Rangers has been phenomenal. Two 40+ goal seasons in 3 years? He's worked out about as well as you could have hoped for.

Richards looks like he spent the off-season drinking wine and pimping clothes before someone reminded him on January 15th that he was supposed to be a professional hockey player. Zero intensity, even slower than he used to be, and is completely unaware of the play 80% of the time. We haven't had a guy make so many drop-passes to no one or fire harmless shots into a goalies chest since... oh god.. Scott freakin Gomez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daner View Post
NYR's/Sather have bad contracts floating around the league all over the place. Which player will they overpay this offseason? They should not be allowed to participate in free agency anymore haha....but seriously.
Frankly, you'd be surprised with the number of Rangers fans who would be completely okay with that restriction. 5 big time UFA's in 5 years and only one of them has worked out. Awful. Just pathetic.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote