Notices

Opinions about M Koivu

Old
03-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Opinions about M Koivu

This is kind of a fantasy hockey related question but I'm also keen to hear about Koivu play this year.

From an outsider, I would of thought he should be scoring at a better rate with an elite player like Parise as his winger. His point per game has actually slightly decreased compared to last season. Is he underachieving or is he only at 50-60 point center over a full season. With Parise on one wing and another sniper like Heatley on the other wing, I expected Koivu to be close to point per game player.

I note that currently Setoguchi is currently the other winger on that line. Did Heatley not work out with Parise and Koivu? Has Granlund been tried?

Thanks for your upcoming feedback.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:16 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Seto's not on that line. Coyle is.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchuk Army View Post
This is kind of a fantasy hockey related question but I'm also keen to hear about Koivu play this year.

From an outsider, I would of thought he should be scoring at a better rate with an elite player like Parise as his winger. His point per game has actually slightly decreased compared to last season. Is he underachieving or is he only at 50-60 point center over a full season. With Parise on one wing and another sniper like Heatley on the other wing, I expected Koivu to be close to point per game player.

I note that currently Setoguchi is currently the other winger on that line. Did Heatley not work out with Parise and Koivu? Has Granlund been tried?

Thanks for your upcoming feedback.
He and Parise started off great. Unfortunately, they were the only line going. Playing lots of minutes and being the only line producing has seemed to make them ineffective of late. Also, feel like Koivu has 3-4 pipes so that line has had some bad bounces as well. Now that Cullen's line has started becoming a consistent threat, I expect Koivu/Parise to start producing closer to a PPG rate.

Also, Seto has not been the other winger. It has been primarily Heatley or Charlie Coyle.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:33 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
I gotta say that I've been pretty disappointed in his play thus far. He should be producing more than he has if he is truly a top line center...which maybe he's really not.

MuckOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:41 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I gotta say that I've been pretty disappointed in his play thus far. He should be producing more than he has if he is truly a top line center...which maybe he's really not.
He's not a top line center. The hope was that Granlund would be able to take that spot eventually putting Koivu in the #2 spot. But that sure as hell isn't looking too promising anymore.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:52 PM
melinko

vCash: 2551
I think Koivu plays too slow and as a result it leaves our faster/skilled players with less room.

He plays better with grinders.

melinko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:20 PM
10dynasty38*

Koivu is the best 2nd line center in the NHL. Too bad we need him on the first.

10dynasty38* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:46 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dynasty38 View Post
This!

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dynasty38 View Post

Pretty perfect post there.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Could you please come post one of these before another game. Koivu must have been looking at HFboards in between periods. 3 point night

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:36 PM
NugarifiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Could you please come post one of these before another game. Koivu must have been looking at HFboards in between periods. 3 point night
Your avatar always makes me want to fire up TPB. I'm going to go watch some season 5. Hash Driveway ftw. Night all.

NugarifiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Kaptain
I am Jax

Koivu laughs at these second line center comments.

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugarifiK View Post
Your avatar always makes me want to fire up TPB. I'm going to go watch some season 5. Hash Driveway ftw. Night all.
Might be my favorite season, I love the rocket episode.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Tuomaz

Koivu was voted what 15th best center on the NHL by hfboards. It seems there isn't many 1st line centers...

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:45 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
He's not a top line center. The hope was that Granlund would be able to take that spot eventually putting Koivu in the #2 spot. But that sure as hell isn't looking too promising anymore.
This is sad and funny all at the same time.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:38 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Koivu is not Crosby.
Koivu is not even Getzlaf.
But, Koivu is a good #1c.
Seriously, some of you people need to take a serious look at MOST teams in the league, and guess what, they don't have a better 1c.

He'd be an amazing 2c, but he is actually a 1c.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:51 AM
vitogor

Koivu is a weird player. Sure, he is about middle of the pack as far as the #1C's go, not elite, and I don't have a problem with that. What drives me nuts about him is that he doesn't make his linemates better, and he doesn't get better himself with better linemates. Put Koivu between two scrubs? He'll get his 60 pts. Put Koivu with Parise and Heatley? He'll still only get you 60 pts.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
Koivu is a weird player. Sure, he is about middle of the pack as far as the #1C's go, not elite, and I don't have a problem with that. What drives me nuts about him is that he doesn't make his linemates better, and he doesn't get better himself with better linemates. Put Koivu between two scrubs? He'll get his 60 pts. Put Koivu with Parise and Heatley? He'll still only get you 60 pts.
That is a good way to not only discribe his play but his leadership too. To me he is at his best when he plays angry, why he does not play that way much more often is way beyond me.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:06 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
That is a good way to not only discribe his play but his leadership too. To me he is at his best when he plays angry, why he does not play that way much more often is way beyond me.
I'll agree with that.

Beastmode Koivu elevates him to an amazing player... I do wish we would see it more often.

Maybe come playoffs this year

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Little to premature to given Granlund the boot eh? Besides I don't think any of us or even the organization is expecting him to develop into a #1 go to guy, but instead the pivot we lean on besides Koivu. That is absolutely still an attainable goal for Granlund

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Centers I would take over Koivu:

Getzlaf
E. Staal
Toews
Datsyuk
Kopitar
Tavares
Spezza
Giroux
Crosby
Malkin
Thornton
Stamkos
H. Sedin

Centers who I think he's about on par with:

Bergeron
Duchene
Benn
Richards
Kesler
Backstrom
Lecavalier

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:38 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
I'd imagine it's not all that easy to channel negative emotions like that very often. I don't know exactly where the anger comes from but most of time it means good things are about to happen. The nights when he's amazing aren't due to pure skill, but his uneven temper and willpower.

I'm at a point where I don't really understand why other teams try to heat him up on purpose, because anybody who's played against him enough should know that most of the time he's amazing when angry.

Most of the time he plays on his regular level, which I'd classify as 'very good'. Even those nights he can still be the best player on this team and for the Finnish national team as well. Then there are the nights we're all familiar with, where he gets mad and **** hits the fan (for the other team) and he can put up a decent fight against just about every single player in this league, including the elite players. He's not an elite center, but a middle-of-the-pack 1st line C in the league.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:59 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Centers who I think he's about on par with:

Bergeron
Duchene
Benn
Richards
Kesler
Backstrom
Lecavalier
Richards, Backstrom and Lecavalier are debatable. But Richards, Lecavalier at this point in time were better players than Koivu. Backstrom and Bergeron could be. Benn as well. (BTW, which Richards LOL)

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:03 AM
LSnow

He never will be his brother If people think that they will be disapointed.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:11 AM
forthewild

So many haters on Koivu, he is a legit number 1 guy, any notion that people had of Granlund pushing him to number 2 were dreams that haters were wishing for. Koivu goes against the opposing best players, his line still produces as it has of late, and he is a big reason why our team wins games.

so yeah lets knock on koivu because for a while his line was the only good one, then after that the entire team sucked for about 10 games and now everyone is picking it up.

But do go on, do hate and do knock him down, just if you are disappointed that Koivu is a number 2 center then what will you say when MiG is in that role and he won't be as good of an NHL player as Koivu is.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote