HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 1, Predators 0: Expo Ernie Conquers the Sunsphere

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 01:19 PM
luongo321

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
Kesler's play reflects the mindset of "the person who best does the job on the ice does the job." His frequency of being ahead of his teammates is not a cause of his lack of passes, but rather, a result of his lack of trust in his (ES) linemates- although really you could argue his lack of trust is justified, but that's another discussion.

Kesler doesn't trust his wingers to score or handle the puck properly, which is why he doesn't pass as often as he should. He also doesn't trust the defensemen to skate the puck up the ice safely, which is why he skates the puck up the ice and is so frequently ahead of his linemates.

We see this all of the time on the powerplay. He's a very willing passer, and he's a great passer too. When Ehrhoff was on the team and the two played together, Ehrhoff rushed the puck up ice about as often, or even more often, than Kesler. Now, Kesler rushes the puck up the ice most frequently.

The root of his problem: He's the best player on our team when he's on the ice at ES at doing just about everything, so he feels like he's the one who should do everything. Personally, I think he's right, so I don't blame him.
It's pretty easy to shut one guy down when he doesn't pass to his linemates. Kesler is a puck hog with very little playmaking ability. He thinks he's some superstar since the 40 goal season/selke winner. If he's that great at everything he should be making the players around him better. When I read Raymond's comments about his chemistry with Schroeder, it really made me feel like he was taking a subtle jab at Kesler. I'll try to find the comments he made that were in the georgia straight article.

Quote:
“I find we’re similar players and we’re looking for each other—that’s the biggest thing,” Raymond says, explaining the chemistry on the line. “Henrik and Daniel [Sedin], for example, they use each other. They’re great individual players, but when you use each other and you use your other linemates, that’s when you’re successful. And that’s what we’re doing and that’s what I have to continue to do to have success.”
http://www.straight.com/news/353946/...couver-canucks

Last edited by luongo321: 02-22-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Karter

3-2 Nucks.

I'm getting a OT vibe from this game.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

I must say...when Raymond had that great scrimmage game with Schroeder during the abridged training camp, there was a part of me that thought it might've been a one-off. Glad to see they've maintained that chemistry thus far into the season.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Dan Murphy @sportsnetmurph
Quote:
#canucks Roberto Luongo will start tonight versus #predators. Hamhuis (hand) looks good to go. Hansen returns. No word who comes out yet.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:39 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
That sounds like complete ********. Sedins are more than happy to pass to Kassian, Burrows, etc. What makes Kesler so much better that he shouldn't? If that's what he truly thinks then he should get his head out of his ***.
They pass much more often amongst each other than they do the third forward.

Can't blame people for having a different thought process. The Sedins are offensive players with a pass-first mentality. They think through the game more slowly than Kesler does, which gives them more time to make decisions and make the proper play. However, Henrik is more willing to pass than he should be and sometimes forces passes that he shouldn't. They play the game more slowly than Kesler, and while this makes them better offensively, this also makes them worse defensively because they take longer to react to a play, which is why they hook more often than they should.

Kesler is a defense-first player with a best-play mentality. He reacts to plays quicker than the Sedins on a physical level, so he doesn't have as much time to think because he's a defense-first player. Hard to change that, so he'll react based on instinct more. Since he's been taught to always make the best play, he'll instinctively give the puck to the best player on the ice for the specific task that must be carried out. He's usually the best player on the ice at ES, on our team, for just about every task. Give him someone better (Sedins on PP, Ehrhoff to skate the puck up the ice) and he instinctively gives it up.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:48 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
It's pretty easy to shut one guy down when he doesn't pass to his linemates. Kesler is a puck hog with very little playmaking ability. He thinks he's some superstar since the 40 goal season/selke winner. If he's that great at everything he should be making the players around him better. When I read Raymond's comments about his chemistry with Schroeder, it really made me feel like he was taking a subtle jab at Kesler. I'll try to find the comments he made that were in the georgia straight article.

http://www.straight.com/news/353946/...couver-canucks
Also very easy to say you'll pass more in an interview, but harder to override instincts in a split second.

He's not great at everything- he just happens to be better at almost every facet of the game than all of his linemates at ES. Suppose he plays with Booth and Hansen.. then: Best passer? Kesler. Best puck-handler? Kesler. Best skater? Kesler. Best shooter? Kesler. Best defensive forward? Kesler. Best at breaking the zone? Kesler. He'll make what he thinks is the best play, and the best play logically occurs when the best player has the puck.

If you're Kesler, you'd think the same- so, instinctively, you react as such regardless of how much sense it makes to pass over the course of a game.

Raymond is right. Can't play with Kesler effectively unless you are better than him. Kesler's a complimentary offensive player who is miscast as the best player on his line.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:49 PM
ruiner

Quote:
Kesler's play reflects the mindset of "the person who best does the job on the ice does the job." His frequency of being ahead of his teammates is not a cause of his lack of passes, but rather, a result of his lack of trust in his (ES) linemates
More like a result of his ego. The guy has one 40 goal season and suddenly he thinks he's a superstar. Get back to me when you can back up that single season. So far he can't.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:52 PM
IKEA

Is Kelser wearing the A during away games now that Manny is done for the season?

Old
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKEA View Post
Is Kelser wearing the A during away games now that Manny is done for the season?
Daniel Sedin and Kesler wear the "A" at home games, Burrows and Bieksa at away games.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
luongo321

Quote:
They pass much more often amongst each other than they do the third forward.

Can't blame people for having a different thought process. The Sedins are offensive players with a pass-first mentality. They think through the game more slowly than Kesler does, which gives them more time to make decisions and make the proper play. However, Henrik is more willing to pass than he should be and sometimes forces passes that he shouldn't. They play the game more slowly than Kesler, and while this makes them better offensively, this also makes them worse defensively because they take longer to react to a play, which is why they hook more often than they should.

Kesler is a defense-first player with a best-play mentality. He reacts to plays quicker than the Sedins on a physical level, so he doesn't have as much time to think because he's a defense-first player. Hard to change that, so he'll react based on instinct more. Since he's been taught to always make the best play, he'll instinctively give the puck to the best player on the ice for the specific task that must be carried out. He's usually the best player on the ice at ES, on our team, for just about every task. Give him someone better (Sedins on PP, Ehrhoff to skate the puck up the ice) and he instinctively gives it up.
It's not about who is best at everything. If that was the case, crosby would just go end-to-end every play. He needs to learn how to communicate with his linemates and work together with them. I think he respects patrick kane. it's too bad we can't get him on our team. He's just a selfish player that thinks he's above his linemates. If he cared, he'd try to make some adjustments.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Edit: wrong forum.

We didn't have much of a forecheck last night, will be better with Hansen back in.

Last edited by Outside99*: 02-22-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
It's not about who is best at everything. If that was the case, crosby would just go end-to-end every play. He needs to learn how to communicate with his linemates and work together with them. I think he respects patrick kane. it's too bad we can't get him on our team. He's just a selfish player that thinks he's above his linemates. If he cared, he'd try to make some adjustments.
I'd take a few more of those type of 'selfish' players (you know the kind who was prepared to take a beating standing in front on the powerplay so others could score and who are out there killing penalties on the first unit and blocking shots). Kesler will pass if he has someone who can finish. You put him with Mason Raymond of the two previous years or Chris Higgins and of course he's going to keep the puck as that gives the best chance of scoring and winning.
It's not really fair to compare him to Crosby who is just a dominant player.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
HAMMY5

Little off topic but wonder if Carrie Underwood/Fisher will be there

As for a score Nucks will win 2-1

Old
02-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Holy crap, Kypreos is so angry over Luongo brushing him off in the cup finals.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/trade...ouver_canucks/

Sportsnet at its best.

Last edited by Mr. Canucklehead: 02-22-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Removed borderline phrase.
Old
02-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^Kypreos doing some big back pedaling, there. His dislike of Luongo is wildly transparent.

Thought this sign-off was funny:

Quote:
Nick Kypreos is a Stanley Cup champion and Hockeycentral analyst
Is there anyone, anywhere, who thumps their chest about being a Cup Champion more than Kypreos? The guy who played a whopping 3 games in the Spring of '94?

Old
02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Karter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
^Kypreos doing some big back pedaling, there. His dislike of Luongo is wildly transparent.

Thought this sign-off was funny:

Is there anyone, anywhere, who thumps their chest about being a Cup Champion more than Kypreos? The guy who played a whopping 3 games in the Spring of '94?
Love the avi. When you guys releasing the full set?

Old
02-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
Love the avi. When you guys releasing the full set?
Ask Zombotron - this is his creation.

Go to this thread, post a picture, and make a request. He came up with more hilarious catch-phrases than I ever could.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1355229&page=5

Old
02-22-2013, 02:38 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Holy crap, Kypreos is so angry over Luongo brushing him off in the cup finals.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/trade...ouver_canucks/

Sportsnet at its best.
haha. what a doorknob.

Lu's matured. He can't fake this type of crap. If there's one thing about Luongo, it's that he's honest. It's gotten him into trouble in the finals because he is a competitive guy, but he's not faking his attitude. This whole schneider being the canucks goalie of the future has changed his perspective and made him accept some things that were hard for him to accept in the past. The main thing is that he isn't so obsessive over every little thing. Hockey's a game and sometimes you just need to pull yourself back and figure out why you're getting so worked up about it. I'm not sure if it is a permanent change in Lu, but it is still a great sign.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:43 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
ok fair enough.. haha

You will win 3-2 in a SO.
blasphemy!

Old
02-22-2013, 02:47 PM
LPH

Seems like most people are liking Burrows ok the PP, him taking those penalties really threw me off, he can't be taking us off the PP with his stupidity. Although Robidas embellished the second one, burrows still cross checked him from behind.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Seems like most people are liking Burrows ok the PP, him taking those penalties really threw me off, he can't be taking us off the PP with his stupidity. Although Robidas embellished the second one, burrows still cross checked him from behind.
Robidas dove - big time - on both of those plays. Incredibly weak calls, IMO.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
I say 2-0 Canucks. Daniel and Schroeder with goals. Luongo becomes Vezina favourite.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:51 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I like Burrows in front of the net. Both of those calls were garbage.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:56 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
I like Burrows in front of the net. Both of those calls were garbage.
Indeed. Certainly when he was pushed from behind, not that that should have been called. But it showed that the situation was heated and hockey was being played, we can't have more of that can we...

Old
02-22-2013, 03:02 PM
LPH

I'm not saying they weren't weak calls, but when you're on the PP you will always get weak calls against you, same with you are allowed to get away with more when you're shorthanded. Im just saying that burrows has to be careful out there on the PP

Closed Thread