Third Line LW, who to go after?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 07:26 PM
MTaylorJ1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
How many players do we want locked up at contracts holding 3 mil or more? Our top lines are loaded with 'em. Assuming that he's going to increase is nice, and you know what? he probably will be a close to 30 goal scorer. I'm not arguing Kelly vs O'Reilly, but even what the asking price is going to be will increase our cap level regardless if you swapped out Kelly for him. With a restricted cap next year, you really want to look at our forward core and say we want another 4 mil a year player is asanine.

As for the question in terms of leadership, a big thing about him was that he was asking for the captaincy. They were speaking about in the back hand shelf and marek vs. wyshinski podcasts. apparently it was part of the hold up. It's been a widely publicized as part of the talks. If you have to ask for it, you definitely don't deserve it. Landeskog was the right move and a much better player than O'Reilly.

Maybe you want to do a bit of research first. There's been alot of drama surrounding the O'Reilly deal and a large part of it is coming from him. I swear that the reason most people want him is he scores dirty goals, a solid two way player, and his last name's O'Reilly. It's not worth it and with the amount of teams out there that will look to offer sheet him, it makes no sense.
Well...if it meant sending out Kelly and Peverley to bring him in wouldn't that be a net a result at the start of the 2013-14 season of -1 guy making $3m or more on a long term contract?

Also, O'Reilly's numbers need context, he went 18-37-55 on a team that isn't really known for it's offensive production, and he did so prior to the age of 22. To me, I'd much rather pay O'Reilly 4, 4.25 than Kelly 3 and Peverley 3.75.

Lastly, you're telling one of the few posters on the boards who WOULD have done a bit of research, and likely has a pretty good handle on what has transpired between RO'R and the Avs. How do we know there weren't discussions about the captaincy going to RO'R that were pulled back if he didn't sign an extension prior to the lockout? Honestly, as good as Landeskog is, they gave him the captaincy after 1 full NHL season. If there were things that went on behind the scenes and that happened, I could see why O'Reilly is pissed off.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Zdeno Chara says hello
It's irrelevant to me, we all know who the real leader on the B's is and he doesn't have to go out there and say he wants the C. It's just known. Z wanted to the C because when Jumbo there really wasn't anyone to point at on the team who was at his level.

Like I was saying, Landeskog's a great captain and IMO a better leader to his team than ROR.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:30 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
How many players do we want locked up at contracts holding 3 mil or more? Our top lines are loaded with 'em. Assuming that he's going to increase is nice, and you know what? he probably will be a close to 30 goal scorer. I'm not arguing Kelly vs O'Reilly, but even what the asking price is going to be will increase our cap level regardless if you swapped out Kelly for him. With a restricted cap next year, you really want to look at our forward core and say we want another 4 mil a year player is asanine.

As for the question in terms of leadership, a big thing about him was that he was asking for the captaincy. They were speaking about in the back hand shelf and marek vs. wyshinski podcasts. apparently it was part of the hold up. It's been a widely publicized as part of the talks. If you have to ask for it, you definitely don't deserve it. Landeskog was the right move and a much better player than O'Reilly.

Maybe you want to do a bit of research first. There's been alot of drama surrounding the O'Reilly deal and a large part of it is coming from him. I swear that the reason most people want him is he scores dirty goals, a solid two way player, and his last name's O'Reilly. It's not worth it and with the amount of teams out there that will look to offer sheet him, it makes no sense.
Ridiculous.

21 years old. Let the team in scoring. Plays second line PK. Averages over 2 min per game on the PP,, finished 2nd on the team in PP scoring... Has over a 52 ptc face off percentage.

O'Reilly at 4.5 mil brings you tons more then Kelly at 3 mil.. Sorry.

I am still laughing though about telling Dom to do more research LOL. Didn't he type out somewhere here recently he's BEEN SPENDING TIME WITH ROR ? But go ahead, believe what you read...

Old
02-23-2013, 07:31 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
It's irrelevant to me, we all know who the real leader on the B's is and he doesn't have to go out there and say he wants the C. It's just known. Z wanted to the C because when Jumbo there really wasn't anyone to point at on the team who was at his level.

Like I was saying, Landeskog's a great captain and IMO a better leader to his team than ROR.
Landeskog has been captain for 5 games, how the hell do we know he's a great captain? Because he's ushered in an era of stability with the guys around him and the front office?

Old
02-23-2013, 07:32 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Zdeno Chara says hello
But, but , but that's OK...he's a Bruin and great player! I have a fathead of him!

No problem with a guy wanting to be captain... Shows some leadership to me.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:

So, its relevant for one but not the other because it suits your argument?

As for Gabe, I'll stay out of that argument. Don't feel I need any schooling or education on Gabriel Landeskog. I knew he was captain material and a leader his first year with the Kitchener Rangers. And I have said so on many, many , many occasions. Even before I started covering him for his draft year

Old
02-23-2013, 07:35 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I like Kelly, but are we really choosing him over ROR ?

No offense, but I'll take a guys word for it who actually talks too and see ROR quite often ... I'll give the player the benefit of the doubt, especially when someone I respect so much vouches for his character.
God, I hope not. Kelly is good for what he is and has done some nice things for the Bruins, but he's very expendable if something better comes along.

As far as RO, I wondered aloud about his situation earlier in this thread I think and Dom laid the troof on me. So enough said about RO character concerns. Still, I don't see the Bruins being the high bidder, but you never know.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:35 PM
MTaylorJ1

FFS people didn't even know that CHARA was a great captain until '11 (go read some of the leadership or lack thereof questions after the Flyers series or midway through the 10-11 season) but we KNOW a 19 year old kid is?

Not to mention the number of people here that still believe Bergy is the true leader on the team.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:36 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
FFS people didn't even know that CHARA was a great captain until '11 (go read some of the leadership or lack thereof questions after the Flyers series or midway through the 10-11 season) but we KNOW a 19 year old kid is?

Not to mention the number of people here that still believe Bergy is the true leader on the team.
Chara specifically asked for the C when he signed here as well... Nothing different then what ROR was trying to do.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Uh oh...

Old
02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Well...if it meant sending out Kelly and Peverley to bring him in wouldn't that be a net a result at the start of the 2013-14 season of -1 guy making $3m or more on a long term contract?

Also, O'Reilly's numbers need context, he went 18-37-55 on a team that isn't really known for it's offensive production, and he did so prior to the age of 22. To me, I'd much rather pay O'Reilly 4, 4.25 than Kelly 3 and Peverley 3.75.

Lastly, you're telling one of the few posters on the boards who WOULD have done a bit of research, and likely has a pretty good handle on what has transpired between RO'R and the Avs. How do we know there weren't discussions about the captaincy going to RO'R that were pulled back if he didn't sign an extension prior to the lockout? Honestly, as good as Landeskog is, they gave him the captaincy after 1 full NHL season. If there were things that went on behind the scenes and that happened, I could see why O'Reilly is pissed off.

If it were to send two players out, then yes it's something to consider. If you can save cap space and bring a guy like that, then you would be in serious talks with him already. The fact that we are already overpaying our third line as it is has something to do with it but you are talking bout shipping two players out of town with a cost that's near double what O'Reilly will be asking and both of those players are over 30. That's a different situation all together.

The superlatives with ROR being his father, his demand of the captaincy, prolonged hold out seem a bit suspicious. Whatever the case may be, there's been quite a bit back and forth here between ROR and the Avs.
I understand your point about ROR but what I was saying is that to me, when an NHL club decides to make a player, who would become the youngest captain in NHL history, you have to be absolutely 100 percent sure its the right choice. Worked out for the Hawks and Pens pretty well.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:40 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Chara specifically asked for the C when he signed here as well... Nothing different then what ROR was trying to do.
Haha, I know. Just pointing out that it's tough to be so certain the Avs made the right choice, and I think a great deal of GL, when people questioned Z as a captain early and often.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:

Was I arguing this....at all?

Old
02-23-2013, 07:43 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
when an NHL club decides to make a player, who would become the youngest captain in NHL history, you have to be absolutely 100 percent sure its the right choice..
How does that work? IRL you generally make the best decision you can at the time you make it, based on what you know and what you believe is likely to happen. From there you see what does happen. The words "100 percent sure" and "choice" don't really fit together very well.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:44 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Was I arguing this....at all?
I missed the contract that O'Reilly is forcing his GM to sign. What is the annual figure again?

Old
02-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
If it were to send two players out, then yes it's something to consider. If you can save cap space and bring a guy like that, then you would be in serious talks with him already. The fact that we are already overpaying our third line as it is has something to do with it but you are talking bout shipping two players out of town with a cost that's near double what O'Reilly will be asking and both of those players are over 30. That's a different situation all together.

The superlatives with ROR being his father, his demand of the captaincy, prolonged hold out seem a bit suspicious. Whatever the case may be, there's been quite a bit back and forth here between ROR and the Avs.
I understand your point about ROR but what I was saying is that to me, when an NHL club decides to make a player, who would become the youngest captain in NHL history, you have to be absolutely 100 percent sure its the right choice. Worked out for the Hawks and Pens pretty well.
The problem is that Sherman said to RoR this is what we want you to be --basically, the captain without the captaincy... to do the things he did with Clinton in the WOHA and helping coach 16 and 17 year olds and just eliminated from the playoffs and is now doing/has done with Stratford the past 6 weeks practicing and helping coach 16 to 20 year olds.

You want me to do that? Show me some respect and give me what that type of player is worth. Sherman/Avs have a history of dis-respect when it comes to their players. That's why his father said "it's not about the money."

Old
02-23-2013, 07:45 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

Well for the Pens getting back to back generational players was what worked out very well, I think something similar happened with the Hawks. I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up to naming their captain so young.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:49 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
Uh oh...
Not that I'm one of them, but it definitely shows up from time to time.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
The problem is that Sherman said to RoR this is what we want you to be --basically, the captain without the captaincy... to do the things he did with Clinton in the WOHA and helping coach 16 and 17 year olds and just eliminated from the playoffs and is now doing/has done with Stratford the past 6 weeks practicing and helping coach 16 to 20 year olds.

You want me to do that? Show me some respect and give me what that type of player is worth. Sherman/Avs have a history of dis-respect when it comes to their players. That's why his father said "it's not about the money."
I agree with you about Sherman but I was basically making the point that Landeskog being named the captain was the right move IMO. ROR will get 4.25 is my guess or 3.875 on a contract with two more years.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Braunbaer
Braunbär

vCash: 200
Since the Rags are tanking ... what about Nash?

Old
02-23-2013, 11:53 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Ridiculous.

21 years old. Let the team in scoring. Plays second line PK. Averages over 2 min per game on the PP,, finished 2nd on the team in PP scoring... Has over a 52 ptc face off percentage.

I am still laughing though about telling Dom to do more research LOL. Didn't he type out somewhere here recently he's BEEN SPENDING TIME WITH ROR ? But go ahead, believe what you read...
This this this. All of this. Absolutely spot on.

There's some really brain-dead posters here in regards to the kind of player ROR is. One Bruins player called him one of the 5 best two way centers in the game RIGHT NOW, at 22 years old.

He is +154 takeaways
53 percent at the dot
107 points
3 seasons

Let that sink in for a minute, especially the first stat. That's at Patrice Bergeron level and on a ****** team like the Avs.

Last edited by VeddarRants: 02-24-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 02:17 AM
unifiedtheory

I'd blow up the entire line.

Trade Chris Kelly to someone who needs a center and hopefully has not watched him this year (he's been awful).

Toss Chris Bourque in the press box.

Go after Ryan Clowe and Mike Ryder.

Clowe-Peverely-Ryder

that is a third line we can win with. All three of them can slide into a top 6 roll in a pinch and move up if they earn it. It would give Clode tons of line up flexibility and add some grit and size.

I'd love to see Clowe on this team.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:20 AM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
This this this. All of this. Absolutely spot on.

There's some really brain-dead posters here in regards to the kind of player ROR is. One Bruins player called him one of the 5 best two way centers in the game RIGHT NOW, at 22 years old.

He is +154 takeaways
53 percent at the dot
107 points
3 seasons

Let that sink in for a minute, especially the first stat. That's at Patrice Bergeron level and on a ****** team like the Avs.
I'd love ROR on this team. I think the price tag is too steep for us though. It's the kind of trade we make if we flame out in the first round or make a quick 2nd round exit and Chiarelli wants to rebuild the roster a little bit.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:00 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Chara had a 2004 1st Team All - Star and 2006 2nd Team All - Star to his resume. ROR
is not kn the same ballpark as Chara in regards to Captaincy.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:07 AM
chippa13*

I want Randim Vrbata unless he is hurt and don't know about it

Or his twin brother...autocorrected "Random" Vrbata

Closed Thread