HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) *Part III*

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 12:29 PM
McRanger

vCash: 500
If it is possible to focus too much on drafting defense, the Rangers are in or nearing that territory.

5 forwards drafted in the first round in 13 years. Too soon to evaluate Kreider and Miller. Cherepanov. Korps and HJ from 2000 to 2008.

They should have taken a forward in 2010.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
If it is possible to focus too much on drafting defense, the Rangers are in or nearing that territory.

5 forwards drafted in the first round in 13 years. Too soon to evaluate Kreider and Miller. Cherepanov. Korps and HJ from 2000 to 2008.

They should have taken a forward in 2010.

You can never have too many defensemen in the system because so many fail and if one leaves, that's 16.67% of your defense, whereas if a forward leaves that's 8.33% of them. The rule is to always build from the inside out: goal, defense, centers, wingers.

Without McIlrath being drafted in 2010, we'd be mired in a blue line shortage for the next several years.

P.S. Sign Klassen.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Teams that have a glut of defense are able to deal from a position of power if they need too. I remember hearing somebody (a GM) last year saying "Those who have defense to deal away are in position A"

Old
03-18-2013, 12:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Good discussion, but please keep it on the current Whale/Warriors roster. Not other teams' prospects. Thanks.

It's just pain.
Old
03-18-2013, 01:36 PM
NYR Viper

http://bobcrawfordscorner.wordpress....presence-felt/

Great read:

Quote:
When Kreider came back down to the Whale from the Rangers February 28, I know the plan was to play him in all situations, to challenge him with all kinds of responsibility and look for him to round out his game, and that seems to be exactly what has happened. Kreider has six goals and an assist in eight games since his return and has excelled on special teams. Three of those six goals have been power-play tallies, and another was Kreider’s first career shorthanded goal as a pro. Kreider and his recent linemates, fellow Boston College product Benn Ferriero and team points leader Kris Newbury, had one bad defensive game, the 4-3 loss at Adirondack when they were on the ice for all four goals-against, but other than that no problems in the defensive zone, which had been an area of concern for Kreider in his previous stays in the AHL.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
The three home games this weekend are going to be some of the most important regular season games this franchise has played in awhile. I'm not used to watching them battle for a playoff spot. In the past it was more like which seed will be they be. Of course, all the games down the stretch are important, but there is something so pivotal about the upcoming ones, especially Friday against Hershey. I can't wait.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
You can never have too many defensemen in the system because so many fail and if one leaves, that's 16.67% of your defense, whereas if a forward leaves that's 8.33% of them. The rule is to always build from the inside out: goal, defense, centers, wingers.

Without McIlrath being drafted in 2010, we'd be mired in a blue line shortage for the next several years.

P.S. Sign Klassen.
MCI by himself does not assure us anything yet. And stop assuming he's just gonna fit right in with no problems. Just like DelZ, McD, and Girardi all have right?

Right now I think we are rather on the thin side defensively outside the big club. That could change but its still too soon to tell. I'd be alot happier about this teams prospects if we saw true depth at Center, something I've rarely seen watching 33 years of Ranger hockey. Lindberg, who we didn't draft, aquired via trade, is doing his part, think we lucked out. Next up would be defensive depth, a situation where we don't have to worry about one guy going down with a puck in the eye or even worse a season ender and not have any capable bodies to play more than low level duty.

Last edited by Bluenote13: 03-20-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 11:59 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
MCI but himself does not assure us anything et. And stop assuimng he's just gonna fit right in with no problems. Just like DelZ, McD, and Girardi all have right?

Right now I think we are rather on the thin side defensively outside the big club. That could change but its still too soon to tell. I'd be alot happier about this teams prospects if we saw true depth at Center, something I've rarely seen watching 33 years of Ranger hockey. Lindberg, who we didn't draft, aquired via trade, is doing his part, think we lucked out. Next up would be defensive depth, a situation where we don't have to worry about one guy going down with a puck in the eye or even worse a season ender and not have any capable bodies to play more than low level duty.
The first bold doesn't concern me much. Our D is so young. And while we might lack a future Norris winner, the talent level is pretty high with the big club. The reality is you never really replace a guy like Staal. But when your backup LDs are McDonagh and Del Zotto, you have to be pretty happy with that. There aren't too many teams out there that can do much better.

Agree with the second bold. The Rangers haven't drafted a pure center in the 1st round since Lundmark 14 years ago. I would feel much better with a young blue chipper centering a top line in the CHL or with the Whale. And not to get off topic again, but it goes back to my post on their drafting tendencies.

I can't wait to get Fasth and Lindberg to CT.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

TONIGHT:

WBS lost and remained in the 6th place with 71 points in 64 games.
M&Ms lost and remained in 10th place with 65 points in 63 games.

Both good results and CT remains 8th with 68 points in 63 games, though they are 9th in points per game with Albany having 65 points in 60 games. A very important game coming up against Hershey, which has the same number of points in one fewer game.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:33 PM
dethomas07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why would they be mad that we took a better player than John Carlson? Bad example.
seriously! I think DZ is a a better player, and when hes on his offensive game like he has been the last few games.. none can argue that.. maybe his rookie year or 2nd year, carlson was better but dz rounded out his game by improving his defensive game.. I agree tho, it may be to early to tell but i think we shouldv'e took Vlad instead of McIrath in 10' but only time will tell..

this years draft, if we some how get a 1st we have to go FW, either LW or Center..

Old
03-20-2013, 10:56 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

What're the odds Hrivik's back this weekend or next? Any updates since we heard he was skating?

Old
03-20-2013, 11:36 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
The first bold doesn't concern me much. Our D is so young. And while we might lack a future Norris winner, the talent level is pretty high with the big club. The reality is you never really replace a guy like Staal. But when your backup LDs are McDonagh and Del Zotto, you have to be pretty happy with that. There aren't too many teams out there that can do much better.

Agree with the second bold. The Rangers haven't drafted a pure center in the 1st round since Lundmark 14 years ago. I would feel much better with a young blue chipper centering a top line in the CHL or with the Whale. And not to get off topic again, but it goes back to my post on their drafting tendencies.

I can't wait to get Fasth and Lindberg to CT.
The talent level on the blueline is high overall, and it isn't that we even necessarily need a Norris winner . . . but we could use a guy who is a top offensive defenseman, even if he isn't a tremendous defender. Del Zotto, to date, is not that guy. He's not bad, and he's very young, but he just isn't a great playmaker. He's a good puckhandler, and he's nice on an odd-man rush, but he isn't that impressive in the offensive zone.

This team would be so much better with an Enstrom or a younger Gonchar (he's obviously old, but he's playing incredibly well lately).

I agree with both of you about everything else, especially Fasth and Lindberg. The center thing, as always, is a problem with this franchise. Which makes perfect sense, since it's the most important position in the sport.

There's a decent amount riding on the two Swedes. If they're as advertised, they will go a long way in solidifying the forward core and helping the cap situation for a few years.

Fasth could really make the likely eventual departure of Gaborik a much smaller problem.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:07 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Fasth could really make the likely eventual departure of Gaborik a much smaller problem.
I still say he's the X-factor with the way the team is constructed now and why next year's team has the potential to be stacked.

If he comes in and can add some beef and stay healthy and plays like how he does in the SEL, that's the extra scorer to completely put them over the top.

Halpern is a one year stopgap for Lindberg who at worst will be a 4th line center and most likely a very good 3rd line center.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:24 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I still say he's the X-factor with the way the team is constructed now and why next year's team has the potential to be stacked.

If he comes in and can add some beef and stay healthy and plays like how he does in the SEL, that's the extra scorer to completely put them over the top.

Halpern is a one year stopgap for Lindberg who at worst will be a 4th line center and most likely a very good 3rd line center.
Will Lindberg be ready by then? Timetable-wise, I think he should be, but I don't think there is any need to rush him here. Miller is a natural center and excellent for his age in the faceoff circle. I think if anything, he'll get the nod centering the third line when Halpern is gone. Most likely, Lindberg will be the replacement for Miller once Richards gets amnestied next year and Stepan and Miller move up a line.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:32 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think Miller, Fasth and maybe Hrivik make the team next year, while Lindberg and Thomas start in Hartford, so our centers would be Richards, Step, Miller and Boyle. If Lindberg proves himself in Hartford, Boyle can be traded

Nash-Richards-Gaborik
Hagelin-Stepan-Cally
Kreider-Miller-Fasth
Hrivik/Pyatt-Lindberg/Boyle-Powe

Looks very talented, but very young. If Lindberg or Hrivik make it, maybe they can trade Boyle+Pyatt for a good bottom-6 player who would be with the team for a long time.

Last edited by Beacon: 03-21-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old
03-21-2013, 02:47 AM
Zil

Quote:
I think Miller, Hrivik and Fasth make the team next year, while Lindberg and Thomas start in Hartford, so our centers would be Richards, Step, Miller and Boyle. If Lindberg proves himself in Hartford, Boyle can be traded

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hrivik-Miller-Fasth
Pyatt-Lindberg/Boyle-Powe

Looks very talented, but very young. If Lindberg makes it, maybe they can trade Boyle+Pyatt for a good bottom-6 LW who would be with the team for a long time.
Umm, where's Nash in that lineup?

Old
03-21-2013, 03:16 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Hartford's likely lineup

Hrivik-Lindberg-Thomas
Haley-Newbury-Nicholls
Yogan-Jean-Bourque
Ferriero-St. Croix-Palm

Very strong, very deep.

Mash and Segal are UFAs, so I didnt count them. I wish we traded the two of them this year for one superior AHL player. With Hrivik, and maybe Fasth and/or Lindberg joining the team, we would have more than enough depth.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:49 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Good discussion, but please keep it on the current Whale/Warriors roster. Not other teams' prospects. Thanks.
Seconded... there are prospect threads meant for this.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:51 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
03/20/2013 Jason Wilson (LW) Connecticut DEL Reassigned by N.Y. Rangers (NHL) to Greenville (ECHL)

Old
03-21-2013, 04:09 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Hartford's likely lineup

Hrivik-Lindberg-Thomas
Haley-Newbury-Nicholls
Yogan-Jean-Bourque
Ferriero-St. Croix-Palm

Very strong, very deep.

Mash and Segal are UFAs, so I didnt count them. I wish we traded the two of them this year for one superior AHL player. With Hrivik, and maybe Fasth and/or Lindberg joining the team, we would have more than enough depth.
I believe that Mash is wrongly booked as an UFA and should be RFA instead. RB pointed this out awhile back... If he returns then I expect that Asham is moved and Haley moves up to NYC. Quite the impressive roster on paper though...

Old
03-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
03/20/2013 Jason Wilson (LW) Connecticut DEL Reassigned by N.Y. Rangers (NHL) to Greenville (ECHL)
Wilson hasnt been terrible since getting called up, he did the job of a forth liner. My guess is that this means Hrivik is back.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:22 AM
E-Train

Quote:
Wilson hasnt been terrible since getting called up, he did the job of a forth liner. My guess is that this means Hrivik is back.
Good that Wilson did his job and great that it looks like Hrivik is back.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train View Post
Good that Wilson did his job and great that it looks like Hrivik is back.
does Yogan or Wilson have any chance of being an NHL regular?? Yogan seems to be interesting because of his size and skill although was injury prone last few years.. with Rangers fans wanting more sandpaper and grit on the bottom lines, maybe these 2 make it in the future...

Old
03-21-2013, 09:49 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
does Yogan or Wilson have any chance of being an NHL regular?? Yogan seems to be interesting because of his size and skill although was injury prone last few years.. with Rangers fans wanting more sandpaper and grit on the bottom lines, maybe these 2 make it in the future...
Yogan does. Wilson does not.

Wilson was a guy I liked in juniors. I'm disappointed that his talent hasn't translated. I was wrong on him.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:54 AM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
I want to see Wilson become an AHL regular which Yogan is doing now. I would say Yogan has NHL upside and only turned 21 a few months ago.

Closed Thread