HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Atlanta Thrashers vs. Hartford Whalers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2013, 11:02 AM
  #1
Darth Joker
Registered User
 
Darth Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 500
Atlanta Thrashers vs. Hartford Whalers

Reading the recent thread on this board about the Thrashers made me think about the last team before them to relocate - The Hartford Whalers.

Which of these two former teams do you think will be remembered more in 10 years? Which do you think has the better team legacy? Which had the better assortment of players suit up for them? In a match-up of all the best Thrashers at their peaks (in a Thrashers unfirom) vs. all the best Whalers at their peaks (in a Whalers uniform), which team do you think would win?

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:07 AM
  #2
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Which of these two former teams do you think will be remembered more in 10 years?
The Whalers, easily. Their reputation is greater now than it ever was when they were around. They are more of a pop-culture reference than an actual team with a history.

Quote:
Which do you think has the better team legacy?
Hartford, by virtue of longevity and WHA success. If you're only looking at NHL legacy, it comes down to pure longevity since neither team had much success at all.

Quote:
Which had the better assortment of players suit up for them?
Depends how you interpret this question. Atlanta had some great players in the early phases of their careers. Hartford had the Howes, Pronger and Shanahan during phases of their careers that people often forget.

Bigger names - Hartford
Better while actually playing for the team - Atlanta

Quote:
In a match-up of all the best Thrashers at their peaks (in a Thrashers unfirom) vs. all the best Whalers at their peaks (in a Whalers uniform), which team do you think would win?
Again, tough question. Leaning Hartford here based on depth and defense.


At the end of the day, you're comparing a 24-year team to a 12-year team. The proportions kind of skew the conversation toward the older team.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:11 AM
  #3
cam042686
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Reading the recent thread on this board about the Thrashers made me think about the last team before them to relocate - The Hartford Whalers.

Which of these two former teams do you think will be remembered more in 10 years? Which do you think has the better team legacy? Which had the better assortment of players suit up for them? In a match-up of all the best Thrashers at their peaks (in a Thrashers unfirom) vs. all the best Whalers at their peaks (in a Whalers uniform), which team do you think would win?
Not even close. The Whalers date back to 1972. They won the first Avco World Trophy and on December 27, 1976 became the first "club team" to ever defeat the Soviet National Team when they beat the Soviets 5-2. They went to the WHA finals in 1978 as well.

What did the Thrasers ever accomplish in comparasion?

Craig

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
  #4
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds
 
NSHPreds1835's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Monroe GA
Country: United States
Posts: 705
vCash: 500
I'm in agreement with the others who have posted. The Thrashers didn't leave much behind other than a bad taste in the mouth, a division championship banner and a few talented players that ended up getting away either by trade or free agency.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:53 AM
  #5
Bongo
Registered User
 
Bongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
I'm the proud owner of a Whalers sweater I bought off a busboy at a soul food joint in Memphis. When the Thrashers bolted I threw all my team stuff away. I'm a huge Carolina fan whereas too many hateful Jets fans made it impossible for me to continue to support that team like I still do the Flames. I guess this means I'll take Hartford.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:57 PM
  #6
SealsFan
Registered User
 
SealsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
I'm the proud owner of a Whalers sweater I bought off a busboy at a soul food joint in Memphis. .
What's the story behind this transaction?

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:03 PM
  #7
Bongo
Registered User
 
Bongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
What's the story behind this transaction?
He walked out, I saw it, and asked if he'd like to sell it. $25 he said. All I had was a fifty so we did the transaction at the cash register. As I walked away, the owner looked at him and said, "I told you all white people were crazy."

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.