HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Oleg Tverdovsky

Old
02-22-2013, 09:15 AM
IComeInPeace

vCash: 500
Oleg Tverdovsky

2nd overall pick in '94 (Jovo went 1st)...
His sophomore season he puts up 55 points (as a 20 yr old). The same season Shane Doan, as a sophomore, put up 12 points.

I thought he was going to be a star. But, while he managed a couple more 50 point seasons, he never lived up to his potential.

Anyone have any opinions on him, and his career?

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:17 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

tons of skill, not much hockey smarts. Never did figure out how to be decent in his own zone, and while he was very good offensively, he wasn't so good that defense didn't matter.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:02 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

i think he lost an important development year due to a contract holdout. he had just broken through as a high end offensive guy the year before, then basically lost a year where he would have been expected to build on that success/momentum and round out his game. he didn't even return to that early level for another two years, then stagnated there before declining.

funny thing though, that coyotes team was such a bunch of me-first sucks that their captain tkachuk publicly defended tivo's holdout. tkachuk, of course, would hold out the next season.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
tony d
Follow your Nose

He was a solid player but seemed to only care about the offensive side of the game.

02-22-2013, 05:23 PM
IComeInPeace

Both of the 1st two guys, Jovo and Tverdovsky, had the potential to be so much more. While Jovo was borderline dominant at times in his Vancouver stint, I think the potential was there for much more, on a consistent basis.
Those were two guys who, on paper, would really make you drool if you were in need of a dman. It seems both of them may have had a problem in their own end of the ice, as the hockey smarts on the defensive end just weren't there.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:40 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i think he lost an important development year due to a contract holdout. he had just broken through as a high end offensive guy the year before, then basically lost a year where he would have been expected to build on that success/momentum and round out his game. he didn't even return to that early level for another two years, then stagnated there before declining.

funny thing though, that coyotes team was such a bunch of me-first sucks that their captain tkachuk publicly defended tivo's holdout. tkachuk, of course, would hold out the next season.
Young offensive defenseman in the dead-puck era... very few became anything relevant. I remember Tverdovsky saying in an interview how insulted he felt when the coaches in anaheim told him to just dump the puck and pull back.

He was already stagnating then and the hold out didnt help.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:47 PM
MarkusNaslund19

Tverdovsky was one of my favorite defensemen.

In some ways he seemed a bit mentally weak. I recall that in 97 when the Coyotes played the Ducks he was positively owned by the Ducks crowd (his former team). I've never seen a player be so dominated by a crowd. He was a key part of their offense and he wasn't just invisible, he was abysmal. The best comparison that comes to mind is Kessel's history against Boston, but this may have been even more pronounced.

I'd like to add that his mother was kidnapped and held ransom for awhile in the mid-90's. Something like that can really change your priorities.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:10 PM
aemoreira1981

Oleg Tverdovsky (713 games) reminds me a bit of Sandis Ozolinsh (875 games) and Paul Mara (734 games)...defensive liability. Once the scoring went away, so did the ability to be a capable NHL defenseman.

Years down the line, could this be Erik Karlsson?

aemoreira1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Soft as freshly fallen snow. As soon as things got tough, he disappeared.

02-22-2013, 10:51 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Oleg Tverdovsky (713 games) reminds me a bit of Sandis Ozolinsh (875 games) and Paul Mara (734 games)...defensive liability. Once the scoring went away, so did the ability to be a capable NHL defenseman.

Years down the line, could this be Erik Karlsson?
Mwe....

Ozolinsh was basically a really rich-man Tverdovsky. And towards the end, Ozo could sorta play defense, because of his hockey IQ

Mara ... is a complete different story. Lacks hockey IQ, was a slow skater, and wasn't all that great offensively anyways to begin with -- best season was as the go-to guy on a very depleted team on D. But he was a big man who, when realizing he couldn't stay in the league by virtue of his (dwindling) skills, started to play the body. Realistically shouldn't have been playing in the NHL when he first signed with Montreal -- don't remember seeing a guy that was both that slow and that lost on the ice.

Karlsson is way above them in the IQ department -- actually, way above Mara and Tverdovsky. Not worried about his should he slow down skating-wise, but we'd be more talking about a Top-4 guy (on his team) than about a Top-4 guy (in the league).

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:23 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Mwe....

Ozolinsh was basically a really rich-man Tverdovsky. And towards the end, Ozo could sorta play defense, because of his hockey IQ

Mara ... is a complete different story. Lacks hockey IQ, was a slow skater, and wasn't all that great offensively anyways to begin with -- best season was as the go-to guy on a very depleted team on D. But he was a big man who, when realizing he couldn't stay in the league by virtue of his (dwindling) skills, started to play the body. Realistically shouldn't have been playing in the NHL when he first signed with Montreal -- don't remember seeing a guy that was both that slow and that lost on the ice.

Karlsson is way above them in the IQ department -- actually, way above Mara and Tverdovsky. Not worried about his should he slow down skating-wise, but we'd be more talking about a Top-4 guy (on his team) than about a Top-4 guy (in the league).
yeah, i often think of tverdovsky as the poor man's ozolinsh who never even lived up to that potential. pitkanen is another guy you'd throw into the comparison. they all had the speed, rushing and first pass ability, and size to be everything you wanted from a franchise defenseman. none of them had the brain or tenacity.

pitkanen has reinvented himself somewhat as a reliable guy, and that probably is what tverdovsky should have become. ozolinsh had gifts that put him at a level above those other guys and was a legit star in the league even though he was a liability. but none of them ever took advantage of their size, unlike, say, jovo, who never reached his ceiling because 1. he couldn't think the game at a high level on the defensive end, and 2. his ability to read the play and make good outlet passes was so far behind his ability to rush the puck-- a problem that pitkanen kind of shares, but ozo and tivo didn't. with jovo, if you gave him space, he'd rush the puck and was very effective. if you forced him to make an outlet, under enough pressure, he'd just cough it up.

karlsson... i don't know. he's a really small guy, but he also seems like he has the kind of on-ice vision where he could develop a cerebral timonen-like game later in his career.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Thunderfest
The Wumpus

I was psyched when the Devils traded for him, but he never really did much on the team. Injuries had something to do with that. Adding him to a team with Niedermayer and Rafalski had potential for puck-moving ridiculousness.

Thunderfest is offline   Reply With Quote