HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Lindy Ruff Press Conference (10:30am) [Link to audio]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2013, 04:01 PM
  #51
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,476
vCash: 500
As I posted in another thread, it's like the day after you put down your aging dog. Part of you didn't want to do it, but you knew you had to, and it was for the best.

The presser was as if the dog could speak, from the grave.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
  #52
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User
 
NewcastleSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Lindy back in!

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:13 PM
  #53
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
As I posted in another thread, it's like the day after you put down your aging dog. Part of you didn't want to do it, but you knew you had to, and it was for the best.

The presser was as if the dog could speak, from the grave.

Yup, and he keeps telling you that you did the right thing and that you were the greatest owner a dog could've ever had.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
  #54
kcoxsabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Yup, and he keeps telling you that you did the right thing and that you were the greatest owner a dog could've ever had.
Yeah, that was tough to listen to.

kcoxsabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
  #55
ceky
Registered User
 
ceky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
oh, come on!... is there a baby in that room that starts to cry at ~45% into the audio feed (sorry,no timepoint with this strangle little player)?

..... right after "they try to support each other, push each other" and before he mentions poms, miller and vanek

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:45 PM
  #56
crispy60
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
I appreciate Lindy's heartfelt words.

If his players actually played like he just got done passionately talking about his time here in Buffalo, he would still be behind the bench.

Unfortunately, I don't know why, but this team has taken on an identity of coasting mentality out on the ice. They all mostly play in spurts of seeming like they want to win games and seeming like they're looking for early exits out of the playoffs to hit the local golf links around Buffalo.

Why is it that players like Stafford and Foligno seemed so hungry when they were down in the AHL and played with chips on their shoulders. Once they were brought up to play, they have played ho-hum hockey.

Why is it that a man as physically imposing as Tyler Myers can't translate that size to his advantage out on the ice? He's another player that looked so promising as a rookie and now has regressed as he's played more. Was the Lucic incident a breaking point for him? He was on the ice during that gutless non response as the Sabre players all basically stood around and let Lucic run his trap without reprisal. Is Tyler Myers really that empty shelled that he couldn't have at least put up his long reached arms and made a half hearted attempt at standing up for his net minder.

Herein lies the problems with this organization right now. Hockey is played with heart and passion. Can anyone on here say they've witnessed that on this team on a regular basis?

crispy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:47 PM
  #57
Sabres Fan UK
eh?
 
Sabres Fan UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newcastle, England.
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
As much as it needed to be done it was always going to be emotional. I hope he finds success with another team (as long as it's not at the expense of the Sabres).
Classy way to go.

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:52 PM
  #58
Sabres Fan UK
eh?
 
Sabres Fan UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newcastle, England.
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy60 View Post
I appreciate Lindy's heartfelt words.

If his players actually played like he just got done passionately talking about his time here in Buffalo, he would still be behind the bench.

Unfortunately, I don't know why, but this team has taken on an identity of coasting mentality out on the ice. They all mostly play in spurts of seeming like they want to win games and seeming like they're looking for early exits out of the playoffs to hit the local golf links around Buffalo.

Why is it that players like Stafford and Foligno seemed so hungry when they were down in the AHL and played with chips on their shoulders. Once they were brought up to play, they have played ho-hum hockey.

Why is it that a man as physically imposing as Tyler Myers can't translate that size to his advantage out on the ice? He's another player that looked so promising as a rookie and now has regressed as he's played more. Was the Lucic incident a breaking point for him? He was on the ice during that gutless non response as the Sabre players all basically stood around and let Lucic run his trap without reprisal. Is Tyler Myers really that empty shelled that he couldn't have at least put up his long reached arms and made a half hearted attempt at standing up for his net minder.

Herein lies the problems with this organization right now. Hockey is played with heart and passion. Can anyone on here say they've witnessed that on this team on a regular basis?
In regards to the bolded; i think the phsyical play will come in time. Chara wasn't a force physically instantly upon entering the league. He needs to grow into his frame no matter how cliche it sounds. However, he does need to step up in the other areas in the meantime, particularly the ones in which he excelled so much in as a rookie (Whether that comes from a Tallinder esque D partner or him getting his head out his ass, maybe both?, i don't know.). He may never get a mean streak, but it may come with confidence and maturity.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic.

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:58 PM
  #59
ceky
Registered User
 
ceky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy60 View Post
.... Can anyone on here say they've witnessed that on this team on a regular basis?

no , i can not.... and i think your point is absolutely valid. i'm just not so sure that other teams played with that "heart and passion" more times than the sabres did. i'm really not sure, cause i look at sabres games differently as a fan, and i suspect that you get a bias against your team that way.
in other words, for me other games can be boooring as well, i just seldom watch them during the regular season. playoffs is a different thing alltogether. maybe this is one reason i find sabres games less "passionate" on average, i compare them to mainly postseason games

there were times the sabres looked real good, mostly when they were doing well. to make it short, i think they primarily lacked quality players, the system and coaching maybe wasn't perfect but i think not the main reason.


(btw my english gets real clumsy late in the evening, sorry)

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:00 PM
  #60
crispy60
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
What passes for playing defense in the NHL nowadays?

I have watched the Sabre's play since the inception of the hockey team.

I can say without a doubt that old school players like Shoenfeld or Korab wouldn't have stood around out on the ice and let their goalie get ran like Miller was by Lucic and stand around just looking at the player who did it.

My point is that Myers and other players on the this team play soft. There is no way this team will get into the playoffs or advance in them with that style of play. I have watched game after game when other teams players are allowed to cruise in front of the net almost untouched to pot goals.

Watch what other teams do whenever our players get in front of their net minders. They used to call it "clearing out the trash" and that's part of the reason why the power play is so anemic and weak. It's like watching the same old bad movie over and over again. Pucks passed around the perimeter and shots taken from bad angles when Buffalo is on a power play. Shots taken from prime real estate when other teams are on their power play because they know they aren't physically challenged.

crispy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:14 PM
  #61
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User
 
NewcastleSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
I think it says alot about Lindy even doing the press conference, and whatevers happened recently hes always gonna be a Sabre. That doesnt detract from the fact the right decision has been made and we move on as an organisation...Lindy has left with the class and dignity you would expect of the man.

On a side note, hello Sabres Fan Uk, not only a fellow english Sabres fan, but from Newcastle too! respect!

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:21 PM
  #62
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastlesabre View Post
I think it says alot about Lindy even doing the press conference, and whatevers happened recently hes always gonna be a Sabre. That doesnt detract from the fact the right decision has been made and we move on as an organisation...Lindy has left with the class and dignity you would expect of the man.
Well said. I didn't like him as a coach but as a person he was a good guy, he just got too redundant and lost his passion. I will never forget him saying two of the best and most passionate words I have ever heard... "NO GOAL".

Thanks Lindy for the memories (good and bad). In the future I wouldn't mind him being the President of the team as long as he didn't interfere with the acquisition of players.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:21 PM
  #63
Sabres Fan UK
eh?
 
Sabres Fan UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newcastle, England.
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastlesabre View Post
I think it says alot about Lindy even doing the press conference, and whatevers happened recently hes always gonna be a Sabre. That doesnt detract from the fact the right decision has been made and we move on as an organisation...Lindy has left with the class and dignity you would expect of the man.

On a side note, hello Sabres Fan Uk, not only a fellow english Sabres fan, but from Newcastle too! respect!
i thought the exact same thing, what are the chances haha.

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:42 PM
  #64
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User
 
NewcastleSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres Fan UK View Post
i thought the exact same thing, what are the chances haha.
Yeah the pain of the Sabres/NUFC combination is alot to take haha!

I think a role for Lindy in the organisation would be appropriate, and no Sabres fan would begrudge him it.

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:08 PM
  #65
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 19,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastlesabre View Post
I think a role for Lindy in the organisation would be appropriate, and no Sabres fan would begrudge him it.
Oh, I can think of a few who might. Heh.

In all seriousness - I love Lindy for being a Buffalo icon and for delivering some really awesome memories. But if he's brought back into the organization, it needs to be for the betterment of the team, not something born mostly of sentimentality. EYE ON THE GOAL.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:11 PM
  #66
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User
 
NewcastleSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Oh, I can think of a few who might. Heh.

In all seriousness - I love Lindy for being a Buffalo icon and for delivering some really awesome memories. But if he's brought back into the organization, it needs to be for the betterment of the team, not something born mostly of sentimentality. EYE ON THE GOAL.
very fair point, no room for sentimentality, which is one reason why Lindy lasted so long anyway. It is tough though when losing someone who has been around for so long....imagine how he feels.

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:19 PM
  #67
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User
 
NewcastleSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
and does anyone have any idea what that role could be?

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:02 PM
  #68
hadareud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
What a classy, classy man.

hadareud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:55 PM
  #69
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastlesabre View Post
and does anyone have any idea what that role could be?
If they wanted to bring him back, they could just make him a senior advisor. It'll be up to Ruff, though. He might not want a position like that and would rather continue coaching. If that's the case, he probably won't have much of a problem finding a spot somewhere this off-season.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:30 PM
  #70
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastlesabre View Post
Yeah the pain of the Sabres/NUFC combination is alot to take haha!

I think a role for Lindy in the organisation would be appropriate, and no Sabres fan would begrudge him it.
I think he was pretty adamant in the PC about wanting to continue to COACH.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:37 AM
  #71
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User
 
NewcastleSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Lindy could surely be useful to young players....great role model/icon to learn from.

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:31 AM
  #72
SabreBlood
Registered User
 
SabreBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Nothing but class, that man. It was very hard to watch that live, and I've been wanting him to be fired for years. It's had to happen for too long. I was literally ecstatic when I heard on WGR that it had just happend. Even called a few people to give them the great news.

But watching that made me remember that all that man has ever wanted to do was just to bring guys like me the Stanley Cup. He absolutely bled blue and gold. It just never happend the way he envisioned it would, and it was very tough to watch such a fierce competitor resigned to the fact that he couldn't, and now wouldn't, do it. That was the hardest thing about it. A fierce competitor that was just as engrained in this area and community as any other Buffalonian. He truly loves being a Buffalonian.

It really never should have gone on for so long. Firing him in them middle of this shortened season was very strange timing.

I just wish it could have ended differently. Thanks for the hard work, Lindy. You'll always be one of us.

SabreBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:39 AM
  #73
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,466
vCash: 500
Seems pretty clear to me that Lindy wants to continue to coach (it's in his blood), and he wouldn't be happy now in an advisory role, nor would that necessarily be good for the Sabres trying to make a fresh start and move in a new direction.

I'm quite certain that Lindy Ruff will be coaching another NHL team by puck drop on Opening Day of next season. And I have no problems with that. I wish him and his next team all the success in the world (except when he plays against the Sabres).

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
  #74
Royisgone
Registered User
 
Royisgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Seems pretty clear to me that Lindy wants to continue to coach (it's in his blood), and he wouldn't be happy now in an advisory role, nor would that necessarily be good for the Sabres trying to make a fresh start and move in a new direction.

I'm quite certain that Lindy Ruff will be coaching another NHL team by puck drop on Opening Day of next season. And I have no problems with that. I wish him and his next team all the success in the world (except when he plays against the Sabres).
Yes, Ruff is likely to return to FNC next year at some point as the head coach of Team X, and when he does, he'll get an enormous standing ovation.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:25 AM
  #75
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,419
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I think he was pretty adamant in the PC about wanting to continue to COACH.
Yep, there's no way he doesn't coach somewhere else. Might happen before the season's over as he's one of the few strong candidates out there who could get hired mid-season, as the AHL guys are typically tied to their team until the end of the season. Wouldn't mind seeing him back with the org in some capacity down the line, like Scotty Bowman w/ the Blackhawks now that he's hung up his clipboard.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.