HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jan Mursak clears waivers

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
joe89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE123 View Post
Eaves is a guy who has all the tools but for whatever reason he doesn't seem to be able to produce. I'm also thinking he needs a change in surroundings
We shouldn't overlook that Eaves didn't play hockey for 14 months. He scored at a 15 goal pace two seasons in a row before that for us, which was great.

But I really think that both Miller and Eaves have played out their role on this squad. We've got kids coming now that can do their work and also has higher upside.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Rzombo4 prez

I would have kept him over others.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:49 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but Mursak is never going to be anything special in the NHL and will probably be out of the league in <5 years.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
I was ready to see Eaves on waivers, bit a surpriced they choose Mursak. Maybe he is more probable not to get claimed.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
NooDLE

I guess he couldn't do enough with his 11 minutes of ice time this season.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:59 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

What in the world do you people see in him? Yes he has speed and yea he has decent hands and hustles, but that's all he has. He doesn't win battles, he was by far the worst red wing the past couple years. If he was stronger maybe I'd think differently about him. A great move by Holland. I hope he does well in his career because he gave me a couple tips when I messaged him on Facebook a couple years ago. Great guy, not so great player.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
InjuredChoker

He's gonna score 15 on some teams bottom 6.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
icKx
What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
What in the world do you people see in him? Yes he has speed and yea he has decent hands and hustles, but that's all he has.
What in the world do you see in Miller or Eaves this year?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:04 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Nevermind the fact that we waived Mursak, a player that actually has some upside that could help this team at points through what has proven so far to be a very bleak season, I hate that the Wings just throw these players on waivers without thinking of any potential trade value they might have in packaging them with other players.

I would honestly expect that Mursak would have higher trade value than many of the other middling players that comprise our depth, probably the highest trade value among depth players the Wings would have been willing to trade. Unbelievable.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
What in the world do you people see in him? Yes he has speed and yea he has decent hands and hustles, but that's all he has. He doesn't win battles, he was by far the worst red wing the past couple years. If he was stronger maybe I'd think differently about him. A great move by Holland. I hope he does well in his career because he gave me a couple tips when I messaged him on Facebook a couple years ago. Great guy, not so great player.
Two things that are required for a good forecheck and typically found in successful bottom six players.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
Two things that are required for a good forecheck and typically found in successful bottom six players.
Some other things required for a successful bottom sixer: Strength and Durability two things that Mursak does not possess

Old
02-22-2013, 12:06 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
Do you watch what happens when he goes to the corners? He gets knocked down before he gets to the puck. Strength is key in the NHL.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
He's gonna score 15 on some teams bottom 6.
In the AHL.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Since Holland doesn't generally waive very good players I'm not worried about this. He's a good skater but seems like another Ritola.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:13 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird View Post
Nevermind the fact that we waived Mursak, a player that actually has some upside that could help this team at points through what has proven so far to be a very bleak season, I hate that the Wings just throw these players on waivers without thinking of any potential trade value they might have in packaging them with other players.

I would honestly expect that Mursak would have higher trade value than many of the other middling players that comprise our depth, probably the highest trade value among depth players the Wings would have been willing to trade. Unbelievable.
A skill player with 4 pts in 46 career games doesn't hold trade value. Maybe a minor league swap, or balance the amount of contracts to help a bigger trade. Not suggesting the others hold any value to talk about tho.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
If it means that Tatar is staying up even when everyone is healthy then I'm ok with this move. However, if Tatar gets sent down when everyone returns (assuming he is still playing well) I will not be a happy camper.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Since Holland doesn't generally waive very good players I'm not worried about this. He's a good skater but seems like another Ritola.
KQ?

I mean, say what you will about they guy, but that was a huge mistake.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:22 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
A skill player with 4 pts in 46 career games doesn't hold trade value. Maybe a minor league swap, or balance the amount of contracts to help a bigger trade. Not suggesting the others hold any value to talk about tho.
I just don't want the Wings burning money anymore absent cause; that's what it boils down to when you throw away assets, and sometimes throw away even more assets to retrieve the services of those players that were deemed superfluous.

As for the glut of "depth" players that the team has, I just don't see the mindset in which stocking up on middling players and choking the pathway for players coming up from GR is constructive in nature. Perhaps there is an explanation that makes sense, an explanation where standing pat and saving as much cap space as possible only to sit on it during the season makes sense, and aside from a cynical assertion that Holland was trying to find the path of least resistance yielding high end draft prospects, I can't think of one.

I still have hopes that something constructive is done in terms of trading or movement of our glut of "depth" players to address the real needs of this team; I hope that I will not be too disappointed by the end of the trade deadline.

Last edited by TheFirebird: 02-22-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but Mursak is never going to be anything special in the NHL and will probably be out of the league in <5 years.
are you serious?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
I'm not too concerned. Does this mean Franzen is back tomorrow?

Good luck Jan.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post

Good luck Jan.
Yeah, can't keep them all. I'd be surprised if he blows up on another team, but hey, if he does we'll have so much to argue about here!

Old
02-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post

Good luck Jan.
No, he's ruled himself out for the weekend. Aiming for a Wednesday return.

Per Khan

Quote:
Franzen said he won't play this weekend, shooting for Wednesday in LA

Old
02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Exactly this. He doesn't hold any value IMO. He really need more strength if he wants to play in NHL. Speed means nothing if you are too easily knocked off the puck/can't battle on the boards.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:39 PM
DarkReign

Dont understand this move at all. I understand having to waive someone on the roster, but a young guy with upside who doesnt cost anything?

Looking over the roster, there are more than enough guys I would waive before Mursak.

This doesnt look good to me as a fan. There is enough dead weight on this roster to fill a Walking Dead episode and you choose the cheap, injury prone young guy over the expensive, broken old has been(s)?!

Old
02-22-2013, 12:44 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
Exactly this. He doesn't hold any value IMO. He really need more strength if he wants to play in NHL. Speed means nothing if you are too easily knocked off the puck/can't battle on the boards.
Unfortunately, one could argue the exact same thing about Nyquist. I personally believe that Nyquist has tremendous upside and that doing anything but developing and grooming him to play top line minutes in the NHL would be an egregious mistake, but people can make that argument.

For that matter, I have to wonder what value Wings fans place on Abdelkader; I know that he is a local hero, a big thing among the State crowd as well as people who are big on Michigan born hockey players, but what does he really have as a hockey player? He can't score goals, he can't/doesn't win fights, and he isn't a reliable forechecker, backchecker, defensive or two way player. About all he does is hit, and even then he doesn't fill that role as well as others. If I were to expect a player to be waived, quite frankly I would expect Abdelkader to be one of the first on the bus out of town, but I guess people have lower expectations when it comes to him.

Moreover, when the trade deadline arrives many people will be asking who the Wings could package with a player like Filppula or Franzen to try and upgrade the Wings defense without taking players away from the areas that we need to improve. Players like Mursak have value not as main line trade material, but in terms of packaging trades to improve our anemic defense, it makes a hell of a lot more sense to include a player like Mursak than a player like Smith, Kindl or, as much as I loathe him of late, Quincey.

Last edited by TheFirebird: 02-22-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Closed Thread