HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VII)

View Poll Results: Does Butler get claimed on waivers?
Yes 16 36.36%
No 28 63.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 04:55 PM
FirmestPiano

vCash: 500
There's really nothing wrong with the defense. It's scoring and the PK which is ridiculously bad at the moment. Can't expect to win games if we only score 1-3 goals every game.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:57 PM
JerseySideOfTheRiver
Geaux Devils

anyone know where I can get a devils puck in the edison/south plainfield area for the zajac signing monday?

Old
02-23-2013, 05:03 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Bench Volch for Harrold...I'm not even kidding
They're not leaving $7.5 million in the press box...that would just make this 'd merry-go-round' issue even more ridiculous.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:11 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
They're not leaving $7.5 million in the press box...that would just make this 'd merry-go-round' issue even more ridiculous.
But it would probably be the smartest move to do, unfortunatly for the guy writting the checks

Old
02-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Hollywood163

Seems like on most rushes they work to get the puck down low, only to pass it up to the point for a shot that's usually shot wide or blocked.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Devils Insiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
? We need a forward more
I agree, but do they have the pieces to grab someone that can make a difference.

Someone i've been thinking about is Ales Hemsky from Edmonton if they're willing to part with him.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:51 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
But it would probably be the smartest move to do, unfortunatly for the guy writting the checks
No, the smartest move is to trade one of them for whatever you can get, clear a roster spot and payroll that can be used elsewhere and end this ridiculous 'well let's scratch Larsson one week, Tallinder another week and Fayne this week' nonsense.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:54 PM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
There's really nothing wrong with the defense. It's scoring and the PK which is ridiculously bad at the moment. Can't expect to win games if we only score 1-3 goals every game.
Lack of transition game out of back-end is a big part of the lack of scoring.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:56 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Sooooo lets get this straight

They're gonna not bench Volch just cause of his contract? Why dont they play Gomez (in MTL) and Redden all the time if they wont bench him just cause he has a big contract

Old
02-23-2013, 05:57 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
Lack of transition game out of back-end is a big part of the lack of scoring.
Disagree.

The lack of offensive production from our centers, and the lack of bottom 6 scoring is what is contributing to our lack of offense.

The only forwards producing offensively are Kovy, Clarkson, and Elias.

Stephen Gionta is our 4th leading scoring forward. That should tell you about our forwards right now.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:59 PM
CerebralGenesis

I think Stephen is just a dynamo.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:01 PM
NJDEVIL

.....and all these lackings are ultimately a bi-product of the lack of effort. That and we're missing some chemistry, Zajac is nowhere to be found. I would atleast swap centers. Maybe give Loktionov a chance in top 2, he has speed right now, something our top two are definitely missing right now. I tell you what though Zajac knows how to go into the corner and do stick work when chasing from behind I've seen him steal a few pucks.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Devils Insiders

I think the huge issue right now is that they have no prospects.

While Josefson and Tedenby might have had some value coming into the season, JJ played his way to Albany and Teddy is injured and underperforming.

Volchenkov's contract has made him unmovable and Tallinder could be moved if he showed any semblance of being a legitimate player.

Outside of Merrill, who might be a good option to trade due to his shaky mental history at UM or Boucher (i would think he's untouchable) What do they have to offer?

Old
02-23-2013, 06:03 PM
CerebralGenesis

damn no fans and no prospects still?

Old
Beetlebum*

No prospects? What?

Old
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

I think Zajac should get demoted to the 3rd line and Loki should have an audition at centering Kovalchuk.

Poni-Loki-Kovy
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Matteau/Barch-Zajac-Butler
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

If Loki can click with Kovy, then I think we only need a top 6 wing at trade deadline so we can move Poni down to 3rd line for Matteau and Zubrus to take Butler's position on the 3rd line.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:05 PM
apice3*

Ultimately, I'd like this to be our postseason lineup:

??? - Henrique - Kovy
Elias - Zajac - Zubrus
Poni - Loktionov - Clarkson
Carter - Gionta - Bernier

Old
02-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Beetlebum*

If the Sharks tank going after Havlat might be smart as long as they eat a little salary.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
its pretty simple

the PK, which was our strength last year, is now our weakness.

our top 2 centers are not producing points.

really, thats it.

Old
Devils Insiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebum View Post
If the Sharks tank going after Havlat might be smart as long as they eat a little salary.
Good point. They're likely to blow up their team if they fall out of contention, but I don't know that they will.

Maybe Louie Eriksson from Dallas? Probably would be tough to pull him though.

Also wonder if Buffalo is ready to blow up their team at the deadline and try to start over fresh next year.

Old
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Ultimately, I'd like this to be our postseason lineup:

??? - Henrique - Kovy
Elias - Zajac - Zubrus
Poni - Loktionov - Clarkson
Carter - Gionta - Bernier
Love it and agree wholeheartedly.

Also like 6 dmen and harrold as the extra instead of cycling a new guy out every 4 games.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:12 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyForLife View Post
I think the huge issue right now is that they have no prospects.
I disagree. I think the Devils are defense heavy, but the Devils certainly have a few prospects any team in the NHL would love to have. Not counting AL, Merrill, Gelinas, Matteau, and Boucher look like solid "prospects." The Devils always manage to draft NHL caliber players whose ceilings might not be the highest in the world, but who do a decent job of finding a niche in the league.

Quote:
While Josefson and Tedenby might have had some value coming into the season, JJ played his way to Albany and Teddy is injured and underperforming.

Volchenkov's contract has made him unmovable and Tallinder could be moved if he showed any semblance of being a legitimate player.

Outside of Merrill, who might be a good option to trade due to his shaky mental history at UM or Boucher (i would think he's untouchable) What do they have to offer?
I imagine Merrill is the only "untouchable" of the group. Gelinas is someone you can package with Talliner of Volchenkov and conceivably bring back a top 6 forward. If you want to get super creative, tossing Matteau in the mix would almost certainly guarantee you that top 6 forward.

I don't buy the notion that the Devils have "no prospects." No forwards in the ranks, maybe. But we certainly do have prospects.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Devils Insiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
I disagree. I think the Devils are defense heavy, but the Devils certainly have a few prospects any team in the NHL would love to have. Not counting AL, Merrill, Gelinas, Matteau, and Boucher look like solid "prospects." The Devils always manage to draft NHL caliber players whose ceilings might not be the highest in the world, but who do a decent job of finding a niche in the league.

I imagine Merrill is the only "untouchable" of the group. Gelinas is someone you can package with Talliner of Volchenkov and conceivably bring back a top 6 forward. If you want to get super creative, tossing Matteau in the mix would almost certainly guarantee you that top 6 forward.

I don't buy the notion that the Devils have "no prospects." No forwards in the ranks, maybe. But we certainly do have prospects.
Yeah, they HAVE prospects, but do they really have enough to package to get a top 6 forward? I don't think so. I guess a good way to look at it is, Nash's skill level got the BJ's Dubinsky, Anisimov and Erixon.

Could you move Josefson, Geilinas and a 2nd for someone? possibly.

I guess what I meant was that they don't have any overwhelming prospects that teams would be salivating over that would allow the Devils to pull a 25+ goal scorer off of someone easily.

Right now I'd think that Tallinder and Volchenkov have almost no value unless a team needs salary for next season to get over the cap minimum and thinks that either of them has anything left.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
its pretty simple

the PK, which was our strength last year, is now our weakness.

our top 2 centers are not producing points.

really, thats it.
Pretty much all there is to it.

If we get these things fixed, one forward puts us over the top.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyForLife View Post
Yeah, they HAVE prospects, but do they really have enough to package to get a top 6 forward? I don't think so. I guess a good way to look at it is, Nash's skill level got the BJ's Dubinsky, Anisimov and Erixon.

Could you move Josefson, Geilinas and a 2nd for someone? possibly.

I guess what I meant was that they don't have any overwhelming prospects that teams would be salivating over that would allow the Devils to pull a 25+ goal scorer off of someone easily.

Right now I'd think that Tallinder and Volchenkov have almost no value unless a team needs salary for next season to get over the cap minimum and thinks that either of them has anything left.
Depends on the quality of the forward you're chasing and the prospect you're willing to give up. I think the Devils have the assets to acquire anyone in the NHL (I include both Adams and Merrill as assets) and we aren't exactly begging for prospects. We are not the Wild, but we can acquire a top 6 forward should Lou want to lose a top prospect or two.

But I completely understand your point I just disagree.

Closed Thread