HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expectations for the second half and playoffs

Old
03-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Syckle78

vCash: 500
Expectations for the second half and playoffs

The season is now half over. We sit in a precarious spot as a bubble playoff team as of right now. We are barely ahead of a handful of team points wise but they have games in hand.

Where do you see this team finishing in the standings? What's your perceived ceiling for this team? Playoffs? First Round appetizer? Or miss the playoffs completely? Keep in mind that what you see is what you are going to get judging by Hollands comments regarding the trade deadline.

Syckle78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:48 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

This team's ceiling is game 5 of round one. We'll win one game when Franzen gets pissed at another team's player and scores 6 goals in 5 minutes and then goes back to being "on a cold streak" or whatever.

Last edited by CloneHakanPlease*: 03-12-2013 at 03:55 PM.
CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Jurky
Rotting in purgatory

vCash: 50
I think we'll know a lot more about where this team stands after this upcoming rough stretch in the schedule. I predict a 6-10th place finish in the west, and a round 1 or 2 exit in the playoffs depending on who we get matched up with (if we make it).

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:53 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

With some injured guys coming back and what is finally looking like a competent top six with Nyquist and Filppula taking over from Abdelkader and Cleary, I don't doubt that we will make the play-offs. We also have Helm who is reportedly coming back after this three game Western road trip and that is HUGE. With the teams from 3rd-15 place being a meagre eight points apart it's hard to predict where we will finish though. Realistically, we are probably due for a first round exit in the play-offs unless Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, and/or Howard decide to go beast mode, which is certainly possible.

ThankYouBasedGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:54 PM
RedMenace
So Long, and Thanks

Expectations for the Season
1. Doom
2. Gloom

No playoffs, and just out of the good picks, because Holland is borderline mentally handicapped and won't keep anyone good on the roster, won't make any trades, and likes the team as it is. Also, apparently he's making lineup decisions and won't bench Cleary.

Does that about cover it?

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:56 PM
silkyjohnson50

I think this could be a dangerous team with a healthy Helm, Filppula, and the right lineup.

I don't see that happening though. The best players won't all be playing and certain players will be playing in undeserved roles weakening the lineup.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:58 PM
joe89

A healthy team can challenge for 4th seed, a team riddled with injuries anywhere from 6th-11th. We're gonna get seriously screwed with the matchups on the road if we can't get bodies back and stay healthy, and this team has a lot of road games to finish.

No expectations if in the playoffs, take it game by game.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:02 PM
DarkReign

People keep writing this name Helm that I have not seen or heard of all year. Someone want to fill me in here? Does he center Capspace?

All seriousness. With Helm healthy (not happening), with Flip healthy (will happen soon), with a full compliment of roster players available, this team is first round fodder for anyone in the West.

Seriously. Pick a playoff team, ANY playoff team in the West....they beat the Wings in 6 or less in the first round. Name one, any one. Yeah, that team is better than the Wings in a best of 7.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Jurky
Rotting in purgatory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
People keep writing this name Helm that I have not seen or heard of all year. Someone want to fill me in here? Does he center Capspace?

All seriousness. With Helm healthy (not happening), with Flip healthy (will happen soon), with a full compliment of roster players available, this team is first round fodder for anyone in the West.

Seriously. Pick a playoff team, ANY playoff team in the West....they beat the Wings in 6 or less in the first round. Name one, any one. Yeah, that team is better than the Wings in a best of 7.
Supposedly he's turned a corner should be back sometime after the Western Canada road trip.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
jaster
i'm maybe not drunk

Everything is so tight, and the Wings are so close to the middle of the pack, I think making/missing the playoffs is going to come down to the wire, perhaps the final game of the season. But with everything so tight, that could still mean getting the 5th or 6th seed. Or it could mean being in 11th or 12th place.

Getting Flip back should be a boost, getting Helm back should be a big boost, and even Sammy/Bert can boost this team, if it means other guys who have even less offense are out there less. On the other hand, we have a brutal stretch coming up, and the Wings in two weeks may be digging themselves out of a hole.

So, my BOLD prediction is that we finish between 5th and 12th We're a bubble team, when it comes to making the playoffs, and the standings are very tight. But once you're in, anything can happen, despite the fears of many people who would rather see us tank. If we draw a 1st round opponent that we match up well with, and a top team or two are knocked out in the first round, well, things could be interesting.

Last edited by jaster: 03-12-2013 at 04:12 PM.
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:10 PM
GoAwayDanCleary
DRWCC

In all honesty I think we finish the season in 11th.

GoAwayDanCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Flowah

With Flip and Helm back and the right personnel, we make the playoffs and maybe even win he first round.

With what I expect in terms of talent management and coaching decisions, we finish 8-12 and don't make it out of the first round.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:20 PM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Tough call. As tight as the west is, I see bubble team at best. Likely bounced in the 1st round. With a 90% healthy roster, and a hot goalie, maybe we make 2nd round. And this is a generous guesstimate. Don't wanna think about missing the PO's, but I won't be shocked either.

garry1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

8th

And we breathe a collective sigh...

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

I actually think we'll just sneak in, but it's far from a guarantee this year.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Narrowly miss or make playoffs. My early prediction was 7th-12th in the West.

I don't think we will fall as far as 12, though if we miss, we might as well miss by a lot. Odds are better pick coming our way in that instance.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Brick Top
LANA!!!!!

I think we're finishing 9th-11th (pride will keep them from sinking lower, and a lack of talent will keep them from finishing higher). Too many road games left on the schedule and this team is just not a good road team this year (I think we have a chance to go scoreless on the road PP for the season... kinda has a 2008 Detroit Lions vibe to it ).

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:47 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 450
How about Brian Campbell?

LastWordArmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:55 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

I want a great position in the Lions' version of the playoffs; the draft! The real play-offs? Only if this teams starts to actually look dangerous.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:59 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWordArmy View Post
How about Brian Campbell?
Trade assets during a "rebuilding" season for a 33 year old who'll cost an arm and a leg for two more years, all the while hampering our ability to re-sign our own players and field competitive offers to free agents as well?

You've managed to propose the actual antithesis of what management should be doing. And I actually like Brian Campbell.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
The season is now half over. We sit in a precarious spot as a bubble playoff team as of right now. We are barely ahead of a handful of team points wise but they have games in hand.

Where do you see this team finishing in the standings? What's your perceived ceiling for this team? Playoffs? First Round appetizer? Or miss the playoffs completely? Keep in mind that what you see is what you are going to get judging by Hollands comments regarding the trade deadline.
I've said all along that I think this is a rebuilding season and as such is a great opportunity for us to find out what some of our younger guys are capable of at the NHL level. So I'm really, really happy we disbanded our most consistent line by sending Tatar back down.

This team is a bubble team. We're clearly not a contender, but we're also not among the bottom 20% of teams in the league. We can finish anywhere from 7th to 12th in the west.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:02 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
I want a great position in the Lions' version of the playoffs; the draft! The real play-offs? Only if this teams starts to actually look dangerous.
Then watch Holland trade our first rounder for two later picks....

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Rzombo4 prez

It will get ugly at times, but I think we will make the playoffs in the end. I don't see us making it past the first round unless Jimmy gets white hot. I don't think we are a contender or even a "good" team, but we aren't nearly as bad as everyone is trying to make us out to be.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:00 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
8th

And we breathe a collective sigh...
I wouldn't sigh if they finished 8th, I can tell you that...

I think the combination of brutal schedule and brutal road PP is going to sink this team. It's hard for me to believe they're going to do better than .500 the rest of the way with the schedule the way it is.

Then again, they seem to beat the teams that are better than they are and lose to the worst teams in the league, so who the hell knows...

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:13 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Then watch Holland trade our first rounder for two later picks....
I don't mind him getting more prospects. I do mind him "over-ripening" them (translation: letting them rot) in the minors or waiving them in favor of mediocre older players.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote